• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bennett_va

Dec 8, 2022
If monolith is involved this is definitely more than just a higher resolution remaster. Probably on the level of Xenoblade Definitive Edition.

Oct 26, 2017
They only had English voices in the opening GCI. Japanese voices in the rest of it. The entire thing was redone for other territories with the western VAs.
Aw that's lame. Would be amazing if they had like an entire English track with those VA's locked away in the vault they can revive in the remake. Would likely save a fuckton of money, unless they'd want to redo it anyway.

Edit:

BTW, I would certainly expect Motoi Sakuraba to come back as he did out of nowhere remixed Origins' battle theme in Smash:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZluXMYxQqQA

Now would tri-Crescendo come back though? Wasn't Sakuraba the founder of it even?

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
If true, it's probably a remastered collection, not a remake. They wouldn't waste their time re-making this from the ground up.

Anyway, where's the Xenosaga HD Collection?

If this happens I fear we will never get Xenosaga anything ever again especially if this BK remake doesn't sell well.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I'd love for them to do Origins as well but this has me excited too.

giphy.gif

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm just confused why this would get picked for a remaster (if there is even any truth to this) over Xenosaga.

I just have to believe Xenosaga is coming too then.

This. Unless some NIntendo[?] bigwig is some HUGE closet Baten Kaitos fan, I'd be shocked if this series gets its due before something with Xeno- in the title.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm just confused why this would get picked for a remaster (if there is even any truth to this) over Xenosaga.

It's easy, one of the Monolithsoft heads championed it and after the success of XBC2/1DE they had the flex for Nintendo to green light it
This. Unless some NIntendo[?] bigwig is some HUGE closet Baten Kaitos fan, I'd be shocked if this series gets its due before something with Xeno- in the title.
I mean one of the heads of Monolithsoft, the main guy behind the 2 games, Honnes, has not only been championing the series but has been roughing out the concept for a third and hasn't headed a game since BK Origin. Also unlike Xenosaga it's not a messy 3 parter with an aborted vision. They also may think the overall feel is more marketable too

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be exciting to see what modern Monolithsoft can do that isn't Xenoblade. Yes, they've helped with a number of games, but I mean a game that visually/aesthetically looks fairly different, not to mention its battle system being drastically different

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

I feel the exact same way. Only way i'd believe this is if both were in the works. I also dont understand why they didn't opt to remake Baten Kaitos Origins instead since it is arguably the better game in the BK series. Until this is verified i'm honestly just going to assume this is fake.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That one shareholder who asked about Baten Kaitos last year really got them thinking.
one of the co-owners of Monolith Soft directed Baten Kaitos. he lead the Kyoto studio until recently
It's easy, one of the Monolithsoft heads championed it and after the success of XBC2/1DE they had the flex for Nintendo to green light it

I mean one of the heads of Monolithsoft, the main guy behind the 2 games, Honnes, has not only been championing the series but has been roughing out the concept for a third and hasn't headed a game since BK Origin. Also unlike Xenosaga it's not a messy 3 parter with an aborted vision. They also may think the overall feel is more marketable too
endgame-avengers.gif

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020

Adding onto this, Xenosaga has different art styles and radically different battle systems per entry to consider if you were trying to remaster or remake it. There's fewer shortcuts than they could pull with, say, the Crash and Spyro remake trilogies, you'd almost be making 3 separate games.

Baten Kaitos stands well enough on its own to not have to worry about making the prequel alongside it.

Last edited:

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017

I mean I even if Xenosaga could have a higher revenue potential, Namco doesn't want it and I doubt that Takahashi even wants it. And Nintendo wouldn't want MonolithSoft to do it unless it's exclusive, which Namco probably wouldn't do (even if they wanted to do it, which they don't).

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Baten Kaitos is cool as fuck, idk how it wouldn't be a good news to literally any monolith fans. They've been going on the Xeno stuff for a decade, let them breathe

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Let Honne make his game, it has been 17 years. Xeno got the red carpet, let this man who has been a pillar of the company finish his series

it feels cruel to me that this man is still passionate about it, and even 17 years later we just discuss about how xenosaga somehow deserves it more. Xenosaga is complete, Baten Kaitos isn't.

screenshot2023-01-18a9xdar.png

Dec 23, 2017
Let Honne make his game, it has been 17 years. Xeno got the red carpet, let this man who has been a pillar of the company finish his series

it feels cruel to me that this man is still passionate about it, and even 17 years later we just discuss about how xenosaga somehow deserves it more. Xenosaga is complete, Baten Kaitos isn't.

Will definitely be picking up these Baten Kaitos games, I'm super curious about the series!

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
They're going to get rid of those beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds aren't they? Eh who am I kidding, I'm still going to buy this.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
Always thought a Baten Kaitos 3 would dive into (Major Spoilers) whatever the heck was going on with Geldoblame at the end of Eternal Ocean. Such a strange post-final boss to include if the intent was only to kill him off after he'd already been seen falling into a volcano an entire disc ago, and then they went and gave him backstory in Origins. Did the English translation miss anything that'd make EO's ending clearer?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They're going to get rid of those beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds aren't they? Eh who am I kidding, I'm still going to buy this.

They better learn to animate some fluffy fucking 3D clouds!! 🤣 I need the game to be beautiful (or heck, can you even imagine Mira?)

tumblr_otv0c7Iklz1tln6w5o3_r1_540.gif

BlondFrenchIrrawaddydolphin-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_owffx8J2Vy1tln6w5o1_r1_540.gifv

tumblr_otv0c7Iklz1tln6w5o5_r2_1280.gif

200w.gif

I'll definitely miss pre-rendered backgrounds. I was hoping some nostalgic indie RPGs would have done something with that by now haha

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They better learn to animate some fluffy fucking 3D clouds!! 🤣 I need the game to be beautiful (or heck, can you even imagine Mira?)

200w.gif

I'll definitely miss pre-rendered backgrounds. I was hoping some nostalgic indie RPGs would have done something with that by now haha
Xeno2 had very fluffy clouds as well...

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017

200w.gif

Getting rosbif the backgrounds would be killing this alleged remake in the womb

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

When (if) stuff like this happens it's usually because somebody inside the company is championing it and managed to propose a business case for Nintendo. Like how Metroid Dread is revived after Yoshio Sakamoto managed to convince Nintendo through MercurySteam's work on Samus Returns.

However this also works in reverse--if nobody is championing a project we're unlikely to see any initiative from Nintendo to revive it. Xenosaga will probably only happen if Takahashi wanted it enough, and I have no clue about that.

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
Huh. Kind of shocking, but I'd be very pleasantly surprised if this ever came to fruition. I'm honestly not sure if I'd want to revisit BK, but I would probably revisit BKO.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
the games were kind of evil and perverse for completionists.

... those who know how everything works, are you gonna get all those once-chance, one-spot, available-for-a-split second magnus cards if left as it was in the priginals?

the splendid hair thing, the couple of cards in that space-ship mini-game, the pictures of some bosses, etc

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I've always heard good things about this series and iirc the battle system was ahead of its time.
What can I say, if not that my body is ready?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
If Monolith is involved they would continue their crazy run

XB3 2022
TotK, Baten Kaitos Remake and XB3 DLC in 2023

Daaaamn....

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Xenosaga is pretty crazy looking, haven't played BK myself but it looks a lot more straightforward
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I'd say Xenosaga is a more straightforward series of games than Baten Kaitos.

I mean I even if Xenosaga could have a higher revenue potential, Namco doesn't want it and I doubt that Takahashi even wants it. And Nintendo wouldn't want MonolithSoft to do it unless it's exclusive, which Namco probably wouldn't do (even if they wanted to do it, which they don't).
When (if) stuff like this happens it's usually because somebody inside the company is championing it and managed to propose a business case for Nintendo. Like how Metroid Dread is revived after Yoshio Sakamoto managed to convince Nintendo through MercurySteam's work on Samus Returns.

However this also works in reverse--if nobody is championing a project we're unlikely to see any initiative from Nintendo to revive it. Xenosaga will probably only happen if Takahashi wanted it enough, and I have no clue about that.

As much as I love Baten Kaitos.....

I'm really dumbing it down, but I find this scenario hard to believe........

- "Hey, I want this really obscure series that barely anyone's played or heard of to get a fully funded remake/remaster. And it probably won't sell very well."

- "SOLD."

-VERSUS-

- "I want the Xenosaga series, which has had petitions and high fan demand for years, to get a remaster and will likely sell reasonably well since interest has gone up from the success of it's spiritual successor series Xenoblade. What do you think?"

- "Nah."

I know bizarre situations like this do happen, but with the official reasoning being Xenosaga wouldn't be profitable enough, I'm calling some kind of bullshit here.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

Technically Xenosaga was never fully realized and cut into 3 episodes. The DS version of I and II had Takahashi's vision for episode II and so many removed scenes from the ps2 release. While the whole thing was supposed to be 6 episodes long and cut short I do wonder how a Xenosaga 1-3 remake would look today/in a few years with numerous added stuff Takahashi thought about for the original release.

That is not to say that BK doesn't deserve this. I just feel Xenosaga has been asked for a ton more and it's bizarre it has come to this if true. I can't think of any large scale fan asking project to get BK remade/remastered like with what happened with Harada and Xenosaga too which makes it even more of a head scratcher here. Again, id be excited about a BK remake but I hope if this is true that they cover why they chose this over Xenosaga.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Technically Xenosaga was never fully realized and cut into 3 episodes. The DS version of I and II had Takahashi's vision for episode II and so many removed scenes from the ps2 release. While the whole thing was supposed to be 6 episodes long and cut short I do wonder how a Xenosaga 1-3 remake would look today/in a few years with numerous added stuff Takahashi thought about for the original release.

That is not to say that BK doesn't deserve this. I just feel Xenosaga has been asked for a ton more and it's bizarre it has come to this if true. I can't think of any large scale fan asking project to get BK remade/remastered like with what happened with Harada and Xenosaga too which makes it even more of a head scratcher here. Again, id be excited about a BK remake but I hope if this is true that they cover why they chose this over Xenosaga.
Xenosaga is a 3 games massive high budget cinematic rpg series that would have to get pretty much all redone due to the inconsistent styles between the games and this is not counting all the extra material they'd have to include.

BK is one game and it still looks fine today due to the backgrounds and art style used. BK1 is also self conclusive.

Not really hard to see why they'd go back it nowadays using Monolith 's newly acquired prestige.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think Takahashi wants to remake Xenosaga into a 6-parter epic at 55 anyway, the timing is too different from when he was 35 for it to make as much sense. And Baten Kaitos Origins was published by Nintendo so there is a partnership that exists there. Not to mention Honne is at Monolith Kyoto as far as I know so it's not like it's the only main project they'd have currently.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
screenshot2023-01-18alzcgo.png

double post but this is a interesting comment. Honne is too big within Monolith to be missing from being a part credits for several years. Unless he is not involved for personal reasons this means he is neck-deep in an unannounced project.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The Gamecube is like the lost era of amazing games and having this would be a great start.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
It could make sense as the (only?) Possible remake between One big project (xb3) and the next One. Timing Is strange as a there Is the supposed torna like expansion of xb3 coming in the last quarter.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017

200w.gif

Damn, everytime I see some gorgeous screens of that game I ask myself: "How the fuck did you miss that gem back in the days?"

Then I search for a used copy and forget about it again, just a bit too expensive for my taste. I hope the remake manages to retain its charm.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, everytime I see some gorgeous screens of that game I ask myself: "How the fuck did you miss that gem back in the days?"

Then I search for a used copy and forget about it again, just a bit too expensive for my taste.

It was expensive back then! I wanted to play it, but the one game store that had a copy wanted like 2022 money it.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
I reckon this will be a small team like the team that worked on xenoblade 1 DE. As such I'm expected somewhere between a remaster and a remake as with xb1 de.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I'd say Xenosaga is a more straightforward series of games than Baten Kaitos.

As much as I love Baten Kaitos.....

I'm really dumbing it down, but I find this scenario hard to believe........

- "Hey, I want this really obscure series that barely anyone's played or heard of to get a fully funded remake/remaster. And it probably won't sell very well."

- "SOLD."

-VERSUS-

- "I want the Xenosaga series, which has had petitions and high fan demand for years, to get a remaster and will likely sell reasonably well since interest has gone up from the success of it's spiritual successor series Xenoblade. What do you think?"

- "Nah."

I know bizarre situations like this do happen, but with the official reasoning being Xenosaga wouldn't be profitable enough, I'm calling some kind of bullshit here.
It's not like Nintendo hasn't funded niche as hell games destined to sell poorly. And MonolithSoft does a lot for Nintendo, with a premiere rpg series, major assistance on the legend of Zelda, and asset assistance on other games. If anyone earned a small budget for a passion project, it's them. Not to mention one of the founders directed Baten Kaitos and desired to return to it.

Meanwhile, Bamco says Xenosaga wouldn't be profitable; and they don't want to do it without Takahashi, who doesn't even want to return to it