• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Next Gen: internal or external PSU?

• External brick please!

Votes: 158 31.2%
  • Internal power please!

Votes: 276 54.5%
  • Mini coal-fired power station boxed with every console

Votes: 34 6.7%
  • Either; I'm a fence-sitting coward

Votes: 38 7.5%

• Total voters

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
External PSUs save a lot of space for heatsinks and ventilation, this is a no-brainer.

Sapo84

Oct 31, 2017
They're probably too large for a console, but it makes me wonder if server-style power supplies would be feasible:
server-psu-zgjwt.jpg

Internal to the system, but standardized and easily replaced if it dies.

I would honestly do without cramped PSU with ultra-loud 40mm fan (and you will need a fan for a server-style PSU since there would be no air circulation otherwise).

Anyway, a well designed console with internal PSU would have no heat or noise problem, for sure not with 90+ efficiency power supply like it should be the norm in 2020.
I really see no advantages in having an external power supplies as long as we get a quality internal one (the only power supplies I've seen die are the cheap one, and it's not like changing the internal PSU of a PlayStation is difficult anyway) while I appreciate saving some space below my TV since consoles, soundbar and decoders do already take up a lot of space.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess it all really depends on how small a ~300 watt (or whatever the power draw for PS5/Xbox 4 is) PSU can be made.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I would honestly do without cramped PSU with ultra-loud 40mm fan (and you will need a fan for a server-style PSU since there would be no air circulation otherwise).
I mean, obviously you don't want what goes inside a high-end server, since they have very small PSUs relative to their power rating and noise is not a concern so they have the loudest fans ever.
But you could have a 150-200W PSU in a similar enclosure with a low RPM fan in there - similar in size to the 360/One power bricks (which also have fans) but you have the benefit of it being both internal, and easily replaced.

Nov 8, 2017
As someone who often takes my consoles on planes, anything that keeps the space down is a good thing, so internal it is. I've never had issues with noise though on either my launch PS4 or my launch PS4 Pro.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If external meant more power in the system, that would be OK but I think internal is the best idea.

Neo-Saiyan

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, UK
External, because I when I used to import alot of the older consoles from the states, all I had to do was switch to a UK power brick, no messing about with step-down transformers or risk frying the console if it had an internal power supply.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can we get a hybrid like the N64 had? Easy to replace if it gives up and doesn't take up space either.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
In an ideal world I'd want it internal but with how loud as hell the PS4 can get I'd happily give up the convenience for the sake of quietness.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like external since I keep my surge protector and cable ends in an organizer box that hides it all. So I'd rather have bulkiness where I can't see it rather than in plain view.

I don't really have strong feelings about it, though

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
External bricks mean its easier to import or take your consoles with you if you move abroad as you can just buy a new psu fit for your region instead of relying on a power converter

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Voted external because until multi-voltage becomes standard across all electrical equipment, I'd rather have the ability to just buy a local power brick rather than a beefy stepdown converter.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
External bricks mean its easier to import or take your consoles with you if you move abroad as you can just buy a new psu fit for your region instead of relying on a power converter
Voted external because until multi-voltage becomes standard across all electrical equipment, I'd rather have the ability to just buy a local power brick rather than a beefy stepdown converter.
That's an interesting point I never even considered. I guess it wouldn't ever effect me, but it's something I could see being pretty important to some people.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Preferable if they can manage a design with the PSU on the inside without any notable downsides.
But if an external PSU makes for a significant enough temperature or noise decrease, then I'd take a brick on the floor behind the TV that I never see again and forget exists five minutes after I've plugged it in.