• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty ugly indeed. There's no possible historical context or anything where those descriptions would be acceptable.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Also, Crusader Kings 2 deals with this way better, by having the trait Homossexual giving a slight negative opinion with your vassals (same as being Cruel or Weak) and decreasing the chances of having babies. Also, the terms used to describe homosexual characters in the games mentioned by the OP seem pretty bad by themselves. I mean: "An embarrassing parody of an ugly woman, endlessly prattling on about young boys."

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
It's simplified and abstracted, but it seems to be represent (for what it matters in a military strategy game!) the period-accurate conceptualization of homosexuality. The common soldiers would respect their general less, as rumors and general mockery would rampart in the army, therefore, a command/authority penalty.

Like, imagine for a moment if a general in the XX century, in let's say WW2, would be openly gay. What you think it would happen within their soldiers, as people were pretty homophobic just a few decades ago.

Yeah I don't buy this even remotely. The Roman perspective on these issues is very different than the modern Western one, yet the game presents lazy jokes based on modern insults and stereotypes.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Just wow. Ew.

In the interest of contributing to the discussion more than disgust: In the case of Medieval 2, it really does feel like it's trying to go for authenticity in how your underlings would treat you knowing you're going against Church norms... even if it's inauthentic and Medieval times had plenty of same-sex love among the upper class with little repercussion to their rule. Total War has been known to listen to pop culture's idea of "authenticity" for a while. I could give plenty of examples from Shogun 2, which supposedly had Japanese history consultants working on it. Not surprised by older titles missing important facts.

That being said, fuck, fuck, fuck those descriptions. The last two are especially cruel and uncalled for. I'm sure the womanizing traits aren't written as being as shameful even if they give similar debuffs.

And there's no excuse for the Rome bullshit. What the fuck is this transphobic idiocy? I really hope whoever wrote that has either gotten educated on their hatefulness or no longer works at Creative Assembly.

Could I see those examples? Shogun 2 is my favorite Total War so I'd be interested in such examples.

OT: Those are disgusting, I hope this has stopped, especially in Rome II.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The descriptions are very cruel. I think Grace, the lead marketing on the team, is bisexual, so I think she wouldn't be happy at all if she saw these kinds of things in there games, someone should send a message to her on twitter.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think there's nothing wrong, considering how homophobic some cultures in the past was.

but, those descriptions are indeed horrible and there should be a disclaimer how while those things were the norm in some places back then, it doesn't fly in today's modern age.
You know Rome was like super homo right

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Not really surprising, punching down jokes at LGBT expense was pretty common across the medium and overall fandom until the last few years. Even still it's not great, so I'm not shocked that games from 10-15 years ago have some stuff like this.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Could you explain where those descriptions appear? Like, are they visible in the game or are they in some hidden files in the game or exclusively avaiable on a Wiki? Find it hard to believe that those describtions were always readily available and no one ever complained o_O

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Could you explain where those descriptions appear? Like, are they visible in the game or are they in some hidden files in the game or exclusively avaiable on a Wiki? Find it hard to believe that those describtions were always readily available and no one ever complained o_O
In the game proper, and they appear. There a somewhat rare trait, but you can get them in-game.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Look, you can't judge, things were very different in the far off year of... *Squints* 2006?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
To everyone defending this - SERIOUSLY? Yes, okay, the medieval society was homophobic. But do you have to make such description of "Traits" also homophobic?

Writers should put some context there. Do not write "unholy urges to be with another man". Write "Wanting to embrace another man was seeing as unholy in that time...". Is it so hard?

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeesh, that's some of the more virulent homophobia I've seen in a game that isn't being spewed by another player.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Dosen't change the fact it's very poorly handled, and being gay is detriment to gameplay...

The penalties are mainly to authority, which represents how loyal your troops are. Basically representing homophobia of the troops. It's not like they are saying gay people are worse at fighting or strategy.

But it is something that they probably should have done much better. You can depict homophobia without insulting people.

You have any examples from within the past decade to know if it's something they still have a problem with?

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I think the descriptions are the issue not necessarily the translation to game mechanics. They could have and should have been handled better.

Sexuality and how it was viewed by people in that place at that time was complexed and nuanced. There was plenty of graffiti on the streets of Rome making fun of or politically attacking important people with homosexual references, but they tended to focus on being the submissive partner. Not so much on the aspect of having a sexual encounter with the same gender.

Some things might not have been spoken aloud in polite company, but for example, it wasn't uncommon for great men to take on young boys under their wing and teach them the ways of the world.... and it was kind of understood that sometimes, perhaps often times these relationships were sexual in nature. Very complex stuff.

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
That's.... something, to say the least. I heard of penalties liek this before, but that's taking it to the extreme.

That's somewhat revisionist. Despite the stereotypes about them and the Greeks, both societies were quite homophobic. We have a sanitised view of Greco-Roman attitudes towards homosexuality only due to them being relatively tolerant to gay people in comparison to the Abrahamic religions and their predecessors in the Levant, otherwise being gay was still looked down upon. As MikeNeko says, it was only socially acceptable if you were basically sexually taking advantage of your slave or paying a prostitute, and - if you were performing anal sex - you had to be the penetrating partner. Being known as a bottom in Roman times as a man would lessen your social status to that of a woman, who had basically no rights in Rome (did I mention they were also extremely misogynistic, even by their contemporaries' standards?)

Rome was not homophobic. Rome was misogynistic. Homosexuality and homophobia means nothing to Roman society. It simply does not exist. You are being anachronistic.

Women were expected to be passive and men were expected to be dominant. If a man was rumoured to be the "bottom" he was mocked for taking on a woman's role, not for having sex with another man.

There was a rumour that Caesar had a sexual relationship with the King of Bithynia and that he assumed a passive role in the sexual relationship... that's why his soldiers mocked him by calling him the "Queen of Bithynia".

This is classic misogyny.

Ancient Greece and Rome's view on sexuality was based on the dichotomy of Dominant vs Passive.

Our modern view of sexuality: hetero-, bi- and homo-sexuality.

May 5, 2018
This...is incredibly disappointing to see as someone who loved OG Rome Total War to no end and also quite enjoyed Medieval II. I'd probably call Rome Total War maybe my favorite game ever...until I found out about how homophobic the game is. Perhaps I never really paid attention to this when I was a teen first playing it and I don't recalling seeing these descriptions when I played Rome again back in 2012-2013. But seeing that homosexual characters having negative descriptions and stats is gross. Sure historically speaking it was frowned upon to be gay in public back in those time periods, but it doesn't mean you have to make gay characters bad.

I'll still stand by my enjoyment of Rome Total War as it certainly is one of my most played games. I just don't think I can call it my favorite game ever anymore after learning about this. Glad Creatuve Assembly has moved on from the "Make gay characters crappy" nonsense in later games though.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeesh, that's pretty bad. Like, it would be fine if it was just some penalties, but the descriptions are straight up terrible, even for the time these games were developed.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Man, that's messed up. I had no idea. I think I bought RomeL Total War at one point. :(

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
I dont think there's nothing wrong, considering how homophobic some cultures in the past was.

but, those descriptions are indeed horrible and there should be a disclaimer how while those things were the norm in some places back then, it doesn't fly in today's modern age.
Cultures in the past were overwhelming less homophobic, you can go back all the way to old European or South Asian time periods to find plenty of historical evidence of the pervasiveness and acceptance of gay or lesbian culture, there's literally temples in India that have gay sex statues at every corner and wall

A great deal of the homophobia crap is very very recent like within only hundreds of years and in some cases even less with all the bible thumping shit in america

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck, tell me that's not seriously in-game descriptions and content. I can't believe a company could do that in this day and age and think it's even remotely acceptable.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The in-game descriptions and the variable names are definitely the biggest issue here.

The penalties are mainly to authority, which represents how loyal your troops are. Basically representing homophobia of the troops. It's not like they are saying gay people are worse at fighting or strategy.

Tiers 3 and 4 of the trait do give a malus to Commanding, which I assume means how good the character is at ordering his troops around. I imagine that would be akin to having a "Very homossexual" trai on CK2 giving the character -2 to martial or something.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Yeah, also women were second class citizens and slavery was common place.
Only in some city states.

It's simplified and abstracted, but it seems to be represent (for what it matters in a military strategy game!) the period-accurate conceptualization of homosexuality. The common soldiers would respect their general less, as rumors and general mockery would rampart in the army, therefore, a command/authority penalty.

Like, imagine for a moment if a general in the XX century, in let's say WW2, would be openly gay. What you think it would happen within their soldiers, as people were pretty homophobic just a few decades ago.

Bingo!!

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see any problem with this.

It's horrendous, but it's also period accurate and logical.
Which is what I assume they were going for.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I can't believe people are using the freaking "Historical Accuracy" argument to defend this. This is disgusting.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
https://www.honga.net/totalwar/traits.php?v=m2tw&f=byzantium&c=all&page=4
Type: DykeWoman

Title: Potentially Confused
Description: Has been known to flirt with other ladies of the court.
Effects: +1 Charm

Title: Prefers Women
Description: Understood to prefer female company, regardless of the occasion.
Effects: -1 Charm, Decreases the chance of having children
The old fashioned, girl on girl is hot, but actually lesbians are disgusting. Fucking horrible.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Rome was not homophobic. Rome was misogynistic. Homosexuality and homophobia means nothing to Roman society. It simply does not exist. You are being anachronistic.

Women were expected to be passive and men were expected to be dominant. If a man was rumoured to be the "bottom" he was mocked for taking on a woman's role, not for having sex with another man.

There was a rumour that Caesar had a sexual relationship with the King of Bithynia and that he assumed a passive role in the sexual relationship... that's why his soldiers mocked him by calling him the "Queen of Bithynia".

This is classic misogyny.

Ancient Greece and Rome's view on sexuality was based on the dichotomy of Dominant vs Passive.

Our modern view of sexuality: hetero-, bi- and homo-sexuality.
That's still homophobia, even if it's through a misogynistic lens (which plenty of homophobia is still viewed through, hence gay men being seen as 'wimpy', effeminate, and depicted as having speech patterns and accents that are associated with women ala Paul Lynde).

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see any problem with this.

It's horrendous, but it's also period accurate and logical.
Which is what I assume they were going for.

It's not logical whatsoever, what the fuck.
You can convey these aspects without using blatantly homophobic language. Crusader Kings 2 absolutely manages to do this tastefully, for instance.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I really enjoy total war games so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
If i remember correctly there were other traits that are offensive, in fact the early games when CA was smaller were full of weird ahistorical things; like the amazon siberian town in rome total war. I also remember Christianity and paganism being better then all other religions gameplaywise. If i also remember correctly the cities that aren't in Europe are usually economically inferior to europe (which if i remember my history it was almost the exact opposite, with north africa being very important to the roman empire). The general speeches were also very misognistic.

CA has been improving a lot in their recent games. For example religions in attila all give different buffs and penalties thus there isn't a "better " religion.