• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a historian or anything, but just going from what little I've read on the subject, I get the sense that all of the people saying things to the effect of "maybe it was meant to show that society was more homophobic back then" are horribly oversimplifying things. Correct me if I'm wrong, but many of these earlier societies were not just more homophobic, but often had a very different idea than the contemporary idea of homosexuality and associated behaviour.

In the case of Rome, my understanding that it was a sexual dominance thing. Homosexuality between men is fine as long as you're the top, because that's the dominant position that a man should take. Being the bottom is a mark of shame.

In Medieval times, it's my understanding that while they hated homosexuality, they also weren't actively looking for in the same way that we do. As such, there was not a gay association with a lot of behaviours to demonstrate closeness between men - a kiss on the lips could be part of an oath of fealty, for example, or sleeping in the same bed could be a way for soldiers to keep each other safe. As such, you could have gay or bisexual people who were able to navigate high positions in society because people weren't really sure if they were or not.

While we're at it, China's another big one, where they believed that men having sex with a woman would be transferring their life force away to them, and thus wasting it. Having sex with a man is in fact more heavily and admirable, and so manly men should prefer the relationships of their manly man friends over women.

Going by the descriptions in the OP, it sounds like they were trying to take no effort to capture these sort of differences, and in fact have some blatantly modern phrases in there. It seems pretty obvious that they had no intention of including this in the effort of providing any sort of accuracy, but purely for the same of modern homophobia.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Ok their descriptions are crass, but I'm willing to give they some benefit of the doubt.

I think your grasping at straws. This comes off more like a comedic Easter egg (not to suggest that its funny). Its basically a bad joke from a time where stuff like that was not necessarily "more acceptable" but more so "overlooked".

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Could I see those examples? Shogun 2 is my favorite Total War so I'd be interested in such examples.
Sure thing.
To begin, we start with some of the agents- the geisha and the metsuke. Geisha as portrayed in the game and as known in popular culture did not exist until long after the end of the Sengoku era. A good replacement might be kunoichi, but kunoichi didn't JUST seduce-then-assassinate people. They also carried out the same sort of work male ninja did, so they'd have to be just more versatile ninja. Metsuke were completely a creation of the Tokugawa shogunate and thus, given how easily the Tokugawa are eliminated in game, shouldn't really exist. There's nothing explicitly wrong with either role they have for a unit, but it's the skin/flavor they used that's innacurate. I do appreciate monks-as-agents, as a lot of Sengoku daimyo did have monks as friends who would act in their interest- but not really in conversion. It was more in a diplomatic role.

Then you get to the start date of 1545 and the problems that causes:
  • At the time, the Uesugi were not known as the Uesugi- they were the Nagao. The Yamanouchi and Ogigayatsu? Those were the two branches of the Uesugi. Nagao Kagetora, later Uesugi Kenshin, would not become adopted into the Uesugi clan and thus make himself the head of it until the early 1560s.
  • Similarly, the Tokugawa clan were NOT the Tokugawa at the time. And they wouldn't be until 1568. They were the Matsudaira until then. And it's quite likely Ieyasu's father, who you start as, wouldn't have necessarily changed the main branch clan name to Tokugawa at all.
  • Otomo Sorin's father is the leader of the Otomo clan in Shogun 2 at the start... but his father was never Christian. Ever. And he himself didn't convert until 1578. So the Otomo starting off as THE Christian faction is horribly innacurate.
  • And the Chosokabe? Nowhere near powerful enough at the time to do the steamroll the other major factions can do. They should have it as hard as the Tokugawa. This one is more of a nitpick, admittedly, though.
  • Kenshin, though a devout worshiper of the Buddhist god of defensive warfare and luck with finances, Bishamonten, for his entire life, also wasn't a Buddhist lay clergy at the time, so he would've still been seen in armor rather than his iconic headwrap.
Then there's the whole business about archers being woefully ineffective by themselves when the vast majority of combat deaths in the Sengoku (and most of Japanese history until the introduction of the arquebus) WERE from arrows.

Oh, and the Hattori. God. I hate the Hattori in Shogun 2. The Hattori were retainers of the Tokugawa. Yes, they originated from Iga, but they weren't a major clan in of themselves and only became infamous thanks to Hanzo, who again, served the Tokugawa --in Tokugawa lands, not Iga-- as a samurai landowner as much as a ninja. What they represent, the Iga Republic, was a conglomeration of a bunch of tiny clans whose heads voted democratically on what to do. They also really weren't interested in expansion. They instead hired their services as shinobi out to other, larger clans. So, to have this super minor clan that really doesn't have much to do with the Iga Republic past a certain point represent them and also be one of the most major threats in the game? It's "Ghandi with nukes in Civ" levels of silliness.

Also, I understand the purpose of the Realm Divide- to sort of emulate the problems Nobunaga had after entering Kyoto and asserting his dominance over the Shogunate. However, given the politics of the era, if the Ashikaga clan were flat out attacked with a sizeable army, it wouldn't have made every clan immediately pissed at you. You'd really only have the deputies of the shogunate to answer to, and the sole major deputy left who actually both had power and fronted about being loyal to the Ashikaga was the Uesugi clan. Otherwise, they'd be too, too busy with the rival clans around them to really care. This was an era of social upheaval- and that included the upheaval of caring about the Ashikaga. Sure, a lot might think you're a stinker- there's a reason Matsunaga Hisahide was known as "the villain of the warring states" in Edo era literature. But they wouldn't do anything unless it could benefit them.

This is just from what I can remember, too, mind you. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch. It's been a while since I last played it. Good game, but, as a Sengoku history buff, the pledged "accuracy" compared to all the anachronism always kills me inside, especially when you compare it to Nobunaga's Ambition. Like I love silly, fun, purposeful anachronism, like with Sengoku Basara or Samurai Warriors. But it's not that. It's just flat out wrong and presented seriously. It doesn't make it a less fun game, but suffice to say I'm disappointed with it. They could've easily kept the game fun with necessary gamification anachronisms without being so, well, anachronistic in ways which really don't improve things.

It's also important to note that you really didn't have rigid, regimented, standing armies in the era. Sure, you had some trained samurai and people who made their living as warriors. But mostly, you had given landowners gathering up able-bodied men, who usually knew how to fight or fire an arrow given it was a requirement of the era, then answering to the call of more powerful landowners in the area to go to war. However, I understand this makes gamification REALLY REALLY hard, especially in RTS titles which follow more rigid systems of warfare, so I tend to handwave it.

I will note I do appreciate some of the anachronistic things they did as they played up war stories and legends of the era- the DLC with nun warriors, for instance. But it feels like they're supposed to be exceptions rather than the rule... when they are the rule. Which would be fine if they just embraced the rule. But they aren't, so it's annoying. If that makes sense?

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
It's simplified and abstracted, but it seems to be represent (for what it matters in a military strategy game!) the period-accurate conceptualization of homosexuality. The common soldiers would respect their general less, as rumors and general mockery would rampart in the army, therefore, a command/authority penalty.

Like, imagine for a moment if a general in the XX century, in let's say WW2, would be openly gay. What you think it would happen within their soldiers, as people were pretty homophobic just a few decades ago.
this happens in professional soccer, FIFA doesnt allow gay players

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
That's still homophobia, even if it's through a misogynistic lens (which plenty of homophobia is still viewed through, hence gay men being seen as 'wimpy', effeminate, and depicted as having speech patterns and accents that are associated with women ala Paul Lynde).

Again, homosexuality and homophobia would mean nothing to a Roman, they would simply not understand what you're talking about.

If you're looking at the past through modern lenses... than yes... it is homophobic... but that is not how one should approach the past.

The Roman view on sexual relations can be boiled down to misogyny. It can't be understated how much ancient Greeks and Romans hated (feared even) women.

Oct 29, 2017
Again, homosexuality and homophobia would mean nothing to a Roman, they would simply not understand what you're talking about.

If you're looking at the past through modern lenses... than yes... it is homophobic... but that is not how one should approach the past.

The Roman view on sexual relations can be boiled down to misogyny. It can't be understated how much ancient Greeks and Romans hated (feared even) women.

Just because Romans didn't have the figurative "vocabulary" to understand homophobia doesn't mean describing it as homophobia is inaccurate.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
That's fucked up...

Thanks, I'll add Creative Assembly to the list of developers I'll not be supporting in any way.

While it is your choice if you want to boycot CA , I think it is important to mention that CA has "grown out" of these types of commentaries. On their lastest 4 games i don't remember anything too offensive.
Obviously take my opinion with a grain of salt as i do like the games. The reason i'm trying for yo uto still consider their games is because alien isolation, total war warhammer and total war attila are pretty good.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Steering this thread into discussing historical accuracy has seriously nothing to do with the problem at hand and immediately builds up a straw-man people will use in the future when talking about the subject.

This isn't about if and how homophobic Rome was or wasn't. This isn't about which penalites would be most realistic to a character's standing based on their sexuality in certain periods of time. This is about the descriptions which have absolutely nothing to do with game mechanics or historical context.

"An embarassing parody of an ugly woman"
"Too Well Groomed"
"Foreign Fruitcake"
"Type: DykeWoman"

This is apparently how CA describes homosexuals in those games. It doesn't fucking matter if Rome was the most gay place in the history of this planet or not. It has absolutely nothing to do with historical accuracy or a lack thereof.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always interested why people give the benefit of the doubt that a game that is otherwise not historically accurate is just being historically accurate when the designers do something offensive with it.
Because the alternative is to immediately dogpile on a developer over some tasteless wording in a really old game.

And I'm not willing to do that minute one.
But ok I admit it seems shitty.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
I mean the descriptions are both hilarious and troubling but it is what it is. Not very tasteful at all but the penalties themselves make sense to me.

Apart from the queen one, wtf

Steering this thread into discussing historical accuracy has seriously nothing to do with the problem at hand and immediately builds up a straw-man people will use in the future when talking about the subject.

This isn't about if and how homophobic Rome was or wasn't. This isn't about which penalites would be most realistic to a character's standing based on their sexuality in certain periods of time. This is about the descriptions which have absolutely nothing to do with game mechanics or historical context.

"Too Well Groomed"
"Foreign Fruitcake"

This is apparently how CA describes homosexuals in those games. It doesn't fucking matter if Rome was the most gay place in the history of this planet or not. It has absolutely nothing to do with historical accuracy or a lack thereof.

Seriously, this.

These descriptions are outrageous.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
I've never understood the idea of going back 10+ years and getting mad about how things were handled as if they were released today. Pretty sure the developers wouldn't word them like that now.

Pog

Banned
May 19, 2018
It's disturbing how awful humanity was as a whole barely a decade ago. I'm glad society is in a much better place now.

Oct 27, 2017
Lemme look into my magic crystal ball and tell you my vision of how this might end:

• Someone's gonna tweet at CA about this issue
  • CA will be keep mum until they've consulted with their PR people
  • Then, they'll apologize profusely and patch out the offending material
  • Cue the "muh freedom", "muh censorship" and "SJW snowflakes" brigade
  • Everyone forgets this ever happened
Also, the descriptions of and particularly the internal names for the traits are almost ludicrously offensive, but I'd honestly give CA the benefit of the doubt - pretty sure they're not even aware they used to have this sorta shit in their games since the idiots responsible should be long gone at this point.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Lemme look into my magic crystal ball and tell you my vision of how this might end:

Also, the descriptions of and particularly the internal names for the traits are almost ludicrously offensive, but I'd honestly give CA the benefit of the doubt - pretty sure they're not even aware they used to have this sorta shit in their games since the idiots responsible should be long gone at this point.
Pretty much spot on

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Not remotely surprising for a game released in 2004, but I'm glad to hear it has improved since.

Taffer

Oct 27, 2017
I remember that 'Arse' was one of the generally negative traitlines alongside 'Girls' 'Feck' & 'Drink'. I'm not joking, it was an intentional Father Ted reference. IIRC 'Arse' never worked in-game and I only found it while trying to mod some traits.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

"Too Well Groomed"
"Foreign Fruitcake"

Traits are given in-universe descriptions.

The descriptions would also, for example, derisively describe anyone who valued science over religion.

Not to say they shouldn't have considered that these would be offensive, but just because it's the description doesn't mean it's their literal opinion.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is CA even going to bother patching Rome 1 and Medieval 2? I could see them going into the "another era" or "historical acurracy" excuse, or flat out ignore it. Now, if this was one of their newer games they would patch them ASAP

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I don't see any problem with this.

It's horrendous, but it's also period accurate and logical.
Which is what I assume they were going for.

???

Calling gay women "dykes" is not period accurate.

Ok their descriptions are crass, but I'm willing to give they some benefit of the doubt.

So, you didn't even read the OP? What were you responding to if all you read was the topic title?

Because the alternative is to immediately dogpile on a developer over some tasteless wording in a really old game.

Yes, that far-flung year of 2006. Jesus, that's years after "really, really old" Halo and GTA: San Andreas came out.

Exactly what sort of development are you expecting to appear in minute two? You have the text. You have the context. You couldn't work out that portraying gay people as effeminate fruits who like to rape little boys is wrong?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The basic premise of the mechanic - a historical game portraying homosexuality as something society considers wrong, and a "negative" effect - is... mostly fine. See Crusader Kings 2 which, as mentioned, handles it in a pretty clinical way. It's simply how the world works in those games.

The descriptions and code for these I obviously a very different story, and mixes a weird "in universe" tone with a distinctly modern flavor of bigotry. It's pretty indefensible.

On the same token, 10-15 years ago this sort of behavior was rampant in gaming and the only thing I find shocking is the fact it passed professional muster in a series that always seemed to hold itself to a certain standard of "austerity." I remember the mid/late 2000s and, while it's always been ugly, it was the unfortunate norm at the time.

It's not like this is a racist 30s cartoon, but in the same way, I don't think there's any "bad guy" left to fight here. It happened. As far as I know, it doesn't happen any more. Cut it from modern ports if you need to and let it be a reminder of how much better things have gotten, even if we still have a long way to go.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

When CA introduced female generals and female family member politics for Rome 2 there was alot of angry people.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
They're depicting a world with a morally skewed compass for the sake of a laugh, it is a common thing through these descriptions. I don't think the real joke was ever supposed to be at the expense of homosexuality but the way the characters/world think such stupid and wrong things about it. Though I'm not sure why it's called an "Arse" trait, that seems just straight up hateful.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The whole concept would be unknown to Romans as they do not divide sexuality based on gender.

While there certainly is no extant evidence of a conscious dichotomy between heterosexuality and homosexuality in Ancient Rome, that does not change the fact that heterosexuality and homosexuality existed during that time. They may not have given them names, but that doesn't negate the reality of such concepts. As long as there were people who were exclusively attracted to the same gender during that time, the concept existed during the time. Furthermore, it doesn't matter how well the Romans understood these concepts themselves. A lot of people in 2018 don't understand why their behavior is homophobic, but that doesn't mean that they're not homophobic.

Considering the problematic views on male effeminacy in Ancient Rome (something that is still an issue today, btw), we can reasonably deduce that some forms of homophobia existed during that time as well, even if it wasn't explicitly abstracted as a concept.

Deleted member 22901

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You say "tasteless wording" as if what they wrote could somehow be interpreted in any way other than blatant homophobia and transphobia. Like there's no generous way to read it, it's just straight up bad.

Oct 27, 2017
This is very troubling. Even more troubling is that some people think 2004-6 is ancient history. You know we had the internet and shit then too right? There really wasn't rampant homophobia in gaming or anywhere else then even if there was in your middle school cause you were a frickin' teenager; grown-up world wasn't like that.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I remember that 'Arse' was one of the generally negative traitlines alongside 'Girls' 'Feck' & 'Drink'. I'm not joking, it was an intentional Father Ted reference. IIRC 'Arse' never worked in-game and I only found it while trying to mod some traits.

Wait, so this stuff wasn't actually in-game? That seems like pretty important information. It means the devs found the traits to be in poor taste and disabled them in-game. They just didn't delete the relevant table entries.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is very troubling. Even more troubling is that some people think 2004-6 is ancient history. You know we had the internet and shit then too right? There really wasn't rampant homophobia in gaming or anywhere else then even if there was in your middle school cause you were a frickin' teenager; grown-up world wasn't like that.
In the gaming world it is effectively ancient history. VG industry has stupidly high turnover, so there's very good chances that anyone involved in this changed jobs 4-5 times since then and anyone at CA currently had no idea it was there. CA has grown /massively/ since then, becoming in effect what passes in the PC scene as an AAA dev.

It's a fucking terrible look, but I don't really get throwing CA under the bus for something that happened so long ago. As long as they don't try and brush it under the rug, come out and acknowledge that behavior like this is unacceptable both then and especially now and patch it out (again, if they can) I don't really see the point in trashing them. That's just me though, and I don't really have anything against someone who feels otherwise. We all have to chose our own way to handle offensive stuff like this, after all.

Taffer

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so this stuff wasn't actually in-game? That seems like pretty important information. It means the devs found the traits to be in poor taste and disabled them in-game. They just didn't delete the relevant table entries.

I don't remember which one it was that didn't work but I'd guess it was not working due to a typo somewhere rather than cut content, that was why I was rooting around in the files in the first place.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't remember which one it was that didn't work but I'd guess it was not working due to a typo somewhere rather than cut content, that was why I was rooting around in the files in the first place.
CA games are very buggy, but i've seen some of the traits in-game. There real, and they we're put there intentionally.

ObbyDent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I dont think there's nothing wrong, considering how homophobic some cultures in the past was.

but, those descriptions are indeed horrible and there should be a disclaimer how while those things were the norm in some places back then, it doesn't fly in today's modern age.

i dont think you realize how much gay fucking was happening in rome back in the day

but good job defending homophobia with the ol' "but its HISTORY" bullshit

these games werent made 2000 years ago. these games are always made with current sensibilities in mind. theres nothing defending this shit.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017

Regarding archaic Greece:
In Hesiods ''Works and Days'', misogynistic remarks served as advice to protect not only the single household, but the whole village. Hesiod overemphasised this warning. A bad wife would result in an unstable household and an unstable community. Some modern historians think, that most/all of these misogynistic remarks in archaic poems were just humours mockery.