• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Extreme sports games. Comeback or stay dead?

• Yes

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2017
Back during the 5th and 6th console generation, extreme sports games were everywhere. Nowadays not so much.

I miss EA's SSX, Sony's atv off-road fury and jet moto, Activision's tony hawk's pro skater, and Nintendo's Wave race and Excitebike or even Sega's top skater.

Although the recent Tony hawk 5 and 2012's SSX reboot weren't that great, I hope they both get another shot one day.

Anyone else wish the genre would make a comeback?

Yay or nay.
hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_nyloosXGv81skasmxo1_540.gif

giphy.gif

ssx.gif

waverace1.jpg

atv2_051902_3.jpg

PS_WiiUVC_Excitebike.png

Last edited:

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
SSX Tricky and 3 are some of the GOATs, so I'd love for them to make a comeback in theory. In practice, I think a lot of western developers have either forgotten how to make, or simply lost interest in making these kinds of crazy nonsensical sports games.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I hate sports games in general, but Extreme Sports are the only ones I've ever played, so I think they're due a real comeback.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Yes. Switch is a perfect platform for these Extreme Sports type games. Pick up and play.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Jet Moto
Mutant League Football
Road Rash
Cool Boarders / SSX
Jet Set Radio
NBA JAM
NFL Blitz

RIP all (well, Mutant Football Leauge exists and is basically Blitz...)

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
THPS1 to 4 were some of my most binged for years. Still play them emulated often.

They also contain some of the best licensed music tracks in gaming ever.

Also kind of like a fake one but Jet Moto if it could retain the same feel.... damn that would be such a sick game on today's hardware.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
A new Excitebike would be fun. Loved being able to make my own courses. I wish they'd add this to Mario Kart actually.

Skate or Die would be a great game to revive. Like an open world skateboard adventure. I can remember playing the one on NES and shooting people at the mall with a paintball gun... Or the one on Gameboy where you can skate on the moon.

But, sadly I think as people lead more sedentary lifestyles like the trend is going most of these sports are pretty much dead.