• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Man, that twitter guy goes all in on the video. I can't help but feel bad for the guy who made it. There is some right stuff in there and it's clear he was really trying to help people and use what he did know to try to do so. Either way, he still did help in a way. The video and the twitter thread together offer useful advice on what to do and what not to do.

Jan 3, 2018
The virus is detectable on surfaces up to 3 days later. That means trace RNA from it can be identified. That does not mean it is still able to infect someone who touches the surface. If you want to go to these lengths, that's your prerogative, but most virologists do not consider this a likely vector. I realize you can't be too careful but this video is spreading needless paranoia. If the virus was that hardy and able to infect that long after contact, we'd all have had it long before now. It's spreading quickly, but not that quickly.

Sorry but do you have a source for this? The articles I've read say that it can "survive" on plastic and stainless steel for 2-3 days.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any published articles out yet with the debunking? People posted actual news articles with the debunked video, and twitter threads ( while they work here and for people willing to dig around) aren't ideal for helping debunk elsewhere.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno man experts also said there was no such thing as asymptomatic transmission they also said there was no such thing as aerosol transmission they also said reinfection was impossible (now they say they don't know) and yet here we are. I'm not taking any chances. I'm spraying the fuck out of everything plastic

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I use the apocalypse movie threshold.

If you start to look like the last person on Earth in a world with toxic air/radiation, either:

1) You're being too cautious.
2) You're going to get it anyway.

Stay away from people, wash your hands, wash your surfaces. These are all reasonable things people can do to fight the unpredictable, invisible enemy.

Think about my apartment. There are about 15 different units.

Imagine if I walked outside and I was the only one. I didn't touch anything, and no one came out there with me.

Now, if it stays in the air, I could be exposed to it right then and there. Then I walk upstairs to get into my car. It's entirely possible that particles from an infected person are already gathered all over the door handle.

And what of my steering wheel? I'm the only person who has ever touched that, and I watch my hands constantly.

And where am I going? To the grocery store to pick up stuff for my mother to survive. Keep in mind we're not actually interacting.

So I leave the groceries outside her apartment door so we don't chance breathing on each other, and every fear I just had about merely existing in the world is compounded onto her outdoor air space, milk, cereal, frozen dinners, ice cream, soup, etc.

Every time someone gets this they try to survey them and very rarely does someone say "I was just staying at home in quarantine but I made a mistake and picked up an outside object.

If someone can find me such an interview, please let me know. The variables I am seeing is that it has infected and killed people who were perfectly healthy.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston

Here's another good thread on food, prep, and eating in.

The biggest thing you have to worry about is contact with your delivery person and washing your hands (as always). Food simply isn't a vector, and hand washing is highly effective.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Sorry but do you have a source for this? The articles I've read say that it can "survive" on plastic and stainless steel for 2-3 days.
It can survive on steel for 2 days and plastic on 3:

Aerosol and surface stability of HCoV-19 (SARS-CoV-2) compared to SARS-CoV-1

www.medrxiv.org

Aerosol and surface stability of HCoV-19 (SARS-CoV-2) compared to SARS-CoV-1

A novel human coronavirus, now named severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2, referred to as HCoV-19 here) that emerged in Wuhan, China in late 2019 is now causing a pandemic[1][1]. Here, we analyze the aerosol and surface stability of HCoV-19 and compare it with SARS-CoV-1...

Whether the virus loads are high enough at that point to cause infection is the question. But that's not my area of expertise.