• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
fable-fortune-featured-image-800x400.png

Fable Fortune
Developer - Flaming Fowl Studios
Publisher - Mediatonic (under license by Microsoft Studios)
Platforms - Xbox One, Windows Steam
Release Date - February 22nd, 2018

Fable Fortune is a digital CCG based on Microsoft's RPG franchise, Fable. Developed by Flaming Fowl, composed of former Lionhead devs, Fable Fortune sets out to mix the series' quirky British-dipped fantasy backdrops along a traditional, Hearthstone style play-setup. It's been in Early Access/Game Preview since last year, following a steady roadmap of content added on to what is now the 'v1.0' release of the game.

So is it a Hearthstone clone? Yes or no?

While Fortune shares a lot of similarities with the popular Blizzard CCG, but has significant differences within it's neutral cards/spell play, as well as the stage itself dictating how decks are ran.

• Arenas - Each Arena has three unique quests for you to follow through, offering challenges like summoning specific minions or spending a specific amount of mana. Following through with these quests grants you a Spell Card unique to that arena, as well as a morality point to change your class' Hero Power efficiency.
  • Morality - It's not a Fable game without a decent bit of morality involved. Upon completing an Arena Quest, you have the choice of going good or evil once. You can complete up to three quests per game, which gives you a maximum amount of 3 morality points. There are specific minions that change depending on the morality, offering different status effects.
  • Tropies - 0 Cost, Neutral Minions / Spells. Need a low cost buff? a quick rush minion? Trophies have got you covered!
  • The Guard Mechanic - For 1 Cost, you can enable Guard on any minion of your choosing (Taunt.) Some minions have Safeguard abilities that activate when you aim the Guard on them.
  • ITEMS - In-Development

Heroes

Knight Class: The Knight strives to flood the board with Units (preferably Peasants) and will do his best to keep them alive, using benevolent buffing Spells and abilities to power them up into a dangerous fighting force!

(Here's your Paladin class.)

Alchemist: The Alchemist's strength is in manipulating Unit stats using an array of potions and concoctions, such as her unique Vials. Buff, debuff, swap a Units stats; the key is finding those crazy combos!

(Rogue, I guess? Not so much Rouge-ish in HS)

crimson_01.png

The Shapeshifter is out for blood, literally! Her aim is to dish out as much direct damage as possible with her Rending abilities, not only hurting her enemies but also strengthening her bloodthirsty cohort of forest friends!

(Hunter!!)

The Merchant's deal is Gold; more Gold equals more choices. Hoard extra Gold to play big Units and Spells early, or Invest into your cards to make them even more powerful. When you've got the coin, you've got the control!

(Druid. Like, SUPER Druid.)
temple_01.png

The Gravedigger's plot is to fill the board with a horde of expendable Units which she charges into their destruction, reaping the rewards of dying Units by activating her cards' unique Eulogy abilities in the process.
(Warlock)

The Prophet aims to make his Units as resilient as possible by buffing their max Health whilst also using his repertoire of healing abilities to keep them fighting!

(Priest)

The dev roadmap states that they have two more classes to add to the game!

CO-OP

Don't face danger alone! Grab a friend, or a stranger straight from the Heroes' Guild, and head back to the world of Fable to take on some of Albion's mightiest in Fable Fortunes unique Co-Op mode.

In Co-Op you and your ally will face off against a boss plucked directly from the Fable universe; they'll have their own unique deck, Hero power and boss cards that will put you and your companion's cards to the true test!

For the most part Co-Op is relatively similar to PvP; you and your ally will each have your own Hero, deck, hand and Quests (take note: in Co-Op you and your ally cannot play as the same Hero). However once a Unit is played to the shared board, both players will be able to take control of it. You will also take turns with your ally to play, with the Boss taking a turn in between each player turn.

Keep in mind, whilst it is your ally or the boss's turn, though you cannot play any cards, you can use the breadcrumb trail to make suggestions on what your ally should do next by highlighting points of interest or propose that one Unit attacks another.

With that in mind you should be ready to fight side-by-side with another brave Hero to reduce the boss's Health to zero! But be wary, the boss will be trying to do the same to you and you share Health with your ally so it's both of your hides on the line!

CO-OP and Multiplayer booth offer it's own, unique Seasonal Ranked Ladder.

HEROIC TALES

Single Player ladders detailing the story of each Hero in Fable Fortune, offering rewards like Coins (for Card Packs) and Card Packs with each completion. Each Hero has six levels in their own Heroic tale, facing off a unique ensemble of Boss Enemies. Thus Far, Three of the Six Classes have their heroic tales.

CROSS-PLATFORM MULTIPLAYER
Steam, Windows 10 and Xbox One are all 100% cross-platform in between one another. While W10 and X1 are capable of sharing deck libraries, Steam deck libraries are exclusive to that platform.

That's all I got for y'all. It'll be a long wait for the next Fable title, but if you need something to cleanse your palate of Hearthstone bullshit, or just looking for a low-entry cost CCG to really sink your teeth into, I can't help but to recommend Fable Fortune.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Bought this game just over a week ago, don't regret the purchase at all despite it exiting early access.

Really fun and now that its free to play hopefully the playerpool picks up as its been sort of hard to find matches here in Aus, met a few friends to do co-op with though and that's been fun.

Good OT btw OP

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Bought this game just over a week ago, don't regret the purchase at all despite it exiting early access.

Really fun and now that its free to play hopefully the playerpool picks up as its been sort of hard to find matches here in Aus, met a few friends to do co-op with though and that's been fun.

Good OT btw OP

Isn't it free?

I may give it a shot, but I doubt I'd play it enough to even justify the hassle. Can't get into CCG, but I respect them. I do love me some Fable though.

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Thanks. I've been playing since the EA launch and i'm still confused on how to build decks in this game. The Coin Cost start (3 compared to HS's 2) is super intimidating to me in that I can't build my shit around traditional curves

Isn't it free?

I may give it a shot, but I doubt I'd play it enough to even justify the hassle. Can't get into CCG, but I respect them. I do love me some Fable though.

Early Access was $15 and it gave you the Starter Pack

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's an interesting title. I like the evolutions on the Hearthstone formula, particularly Guard. Some very interesting decisions to be made there.

Brood_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I had a free key from alpha. I liked the gameplay--way more than Hearthstone, as someone who's sunk probably over 2000+ hours into that game--but other things were still spotty at the time. Not really looking to pick up another CCG now that Slay the Spire exists, but if you are, this is probably worth trying.

Sioul

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
I was waiting for this OT!

Some temporary stuff:

Until March 1st: Renegade Leader card for log in, 1 Card pack each day and double experience

Until tuesday: Coop event "Stampeding Fans" , you can get cards getting the seals

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
It's not bad for a card game. I've been playing every now and then since it was in the Game Preview. I really like that they added solo campaigns to it. Hand of the Gods should follow suit, and I wish Gwent would hurry up with theirs, lol.

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
Co op is good, morality is a nice mechanic and the game is just different enough from HS

Not bad- give it a look if curious

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
just installed on PC, works nice with mouse

store not too painful, I'm digging it a fair bit being a mad HS fan

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I seem to have got the starter bundle for free.
I got a load of packs to open and the jack of blades and boot cards

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
I downloaded the game and jumped into it. I had a bit of experience playing Hearthstone so getting used to how the game worked was easy to grasp. There are a few different mechanics that make it different, although on the whole it's very similar. I am having fun with it though, just having to relearn all the cards seems a little daunting :P

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
Seems like this game hasn't been picked up by many people here? I guess it may seem to similar to Hearthstone which is why people may not want to have to learn an entire new deck of cards. I tried to play the first co-op challenge and could not get through it with randoms. I probably need to edit my deck. I've been using the shapeshifter mostly, Hunter was my preferred character in Hearthstone.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is a good game, but I feel that runs terrible on my pc

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
co op play is really neat...been playing the events exclusively getting packs

have they said anything about 2 vs. 2?

Last edited: