• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrMatt555

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hiya!

Since I have no one to discuss xiii series with (I know type-0 counts too, but....fuck it), I decided a thread was enough to suffice.

So let's begin, shall we?

Lightning - Getting her out of the way first. I know she can be hit or Miss in terms of popularity with gamers (mostly miss, it seems), I don't think she was particularly terrible as protagonist. That is until I played LR and they ran out of shit for her to do. Still though, she had a good cause for what she was doing and I still think her intro sequence on the train in XIII was...idk, cool? For lack of a better term. She was better than vaan, at least. Also army of one is so badass.

Battle System - what's not to like? I mean, you get a pretty basic system in the first 20 or so hours of xiii, then the game opens up and really let's loose. I remember the carnage I was doing up to the point in the game where you first fight barthandelus and my friend being like, "idk wtf is going on.."

But I did And it was great.

Xiii-2 introduced the Pokemon-esque monster third slot and on-the-fly main character swapping, which to me, felt a little like compensating for the lack of a full team ala xiii. Still though, the battle systems pretty dope and I didn't see the need to change it up much since it flowed so well. That is until LR, of course.

Presentation - speaking mostly for xiii which pretty much went all out in terms of presentation:

From the Pre rendered cutscenes to the graphical quality and menus....everything was prestine and I especially liked the nice touch they added to the menus in xiii which briefly played a clip from each characters respective cutscene that displays their personality best.

I was gonna talk music but I can go on and on about how great the xiii series' OSTs are...

What about you guys? I want to hear your thoughts. Or maybe I'm the only one here that likes the games? (Hope not).

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should join the RPG discord, we were chatting about these a little while ago as a matter of fact!

Years of negative fallout have covered up the fact that a lot of people enjoyed these games - including me. They weren't perfect, obviously, but they did some things very well.

I already wrote up a lot of what I thought about XIII and LR in a thread earlier this week, (which I'll shamelessly link to since I don't feel like paraphrasing and typing it out again!), but as a total package I think the trilogy is somewhat underappreciated. It really was an audiovisual tour de force when it came out, and still looks great to this day. It's unfortunate that the production values actually went down as the trilogy went on, but the FMVs were always a treat.

I like Lightning. She's not a "great" character, in the sense that people won't write essays about her motivations or development. But she looked cool, talked cool, and kicked ass. Vanille and Fang are also underappreciated, get past the voice acting and there was some surprisingly touching and engaging character work there.

The only one I can't stand is Snow. At times I saw what they were going for with him, but he never rose above being an oaf. Meh.

XIII already had a great battle system, they improved it in XIII-2, and then in LR they knocked it out of the park. LR is actually one of my favorite Final Fantasy games.

30 minutes of Blinded By Light to remind everyone what perfection sounds like. That violin...

OP
OP
MrMatt555

MrMatt555

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice write up. I echo much of your thoughts on the series; I really wouldn't mind a freaking current gen collection. The music is so beautiful and I almost forgot to talk about my favorite FF villain:

Caius mutherfuckin' Ballad

This guy don't give a fuck. This guy is one of the few baddies as of late that you actually kinda like in i-see-why-you-are-like-that kinda way. He isn't really a bad guy he's just doing his job protecting his Yuel... I loved both his final boss theme and regular themes as well and just overall a really well done, stylish looking character with fleshed out motives.

-Final Boss Theme-