• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
139M people voted in the election, for reference. http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/30/media/russia-facebook-126-million-users/index.html

Facebook will inform lawmakers this week that roughly 126 million Americans may have been exposed to content generated on its platform by the Russian government-linked troll farm known as the Internet Research Agency between June 2015 and August 2017, CNN has learned.
That estimate, which is equivalent to more than half of the total U.S. voting population, offers a new understanding of the scope of Russia's use of social media to meddle in the 2016 U.S. presidential election and in American society generally.

In written testimony to the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime and Terrorism, a copy of which was obtained by CNN, Facebook General Counsel Colin Stretch says that 29 million people were served content directly from the Internet Research Agency, and that after sharing among users is accounted for, a total of "approximately 126 million people" may have seen it.

Facebook does not know, however, how many of those 126 million people actually saw one of those posts, or how many may have scrolled past it or simply not logged in on the day that one of the posts was being served in their News Feed.
edit: Should be "Americans", not "People" in the title

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
mnC9iaF.gif

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
In the wake of Facebook's disclosure, Twitter revealed that it had found 201 accounts that were linked to the IRA-backed Facebook accounts, and which also sought to push divisive political content on its platform.
The fact that twitter is still claiming that they've only identified so few of those accounts is ridiculous to me.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I was really pissed how Zuckerberg handled the whole Russian Bots/Propaganda spreading on Facebook, so I closed my Facebook account last month.

Still sickened to hear my info might've been compromised.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Was already sick of Facebook being cesspool where intellectual thinking goes to die, but after the way they handled the Russian stuff, happily taking Russian ad money as well, they can really just fuck off.

Twitter did a real poor job too.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just 1/3rd of the country. No big.

Coincidentally, Trump currently has the approval of 1 in 3 Americans.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, when real people vacate social media platforms, it becomes more apparent just how many Russian / Alt-Right trolls were lurking as sleeper cells all along. The kind who 'Just want to talk about _____, man.'

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Good thing I disabled my account in 2014. I still use Instagram but it's a bit easier to spot a troll when all I follow are models and animators.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Canada and I was getting Pizzagate bullshit in my Facebook news updates for a solid week before the election. I refuse to believe they didn't know about it to some degree, it probably only bothered them after the cheques cleared.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Zuck knew this shit was going on and yet openly stated it was all bullshit at the time. Fuck him and fuck FB.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
And this loser wants to run for president. Maybe he should make sure his own platform isn't infested with Russian bots first.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
The fact that twitter is still claiming that they've only identified so few of those accounts is ridiculous to me.
That may be the number of real accounts used, not counting the tens or hundreds of thousands of bots that are automated to boost each other. In reality it could be just a few dozen real people with enough money for bot farms.

As to the Facebook story from today, if this is the kind of data and influence that does not lead to regulations on web sources similar to print and TV media, then it's a huge missed opportunity. And it further erodes trust in everything really, as people will get entrenched in their favorite "source" while everything else is deemed fake.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
That may be the number of real accounts used, not counting the tens or hundreds of thousands of bots that are automated to boost each other. In reality it could be just a few dozen real people with enough money for bot farms.

As to the Facebook story from today, if this is the kind of data and influence that does not lead to regulations on web sources similar to print and TV media, then it's a huge missed opportunity. And it further erodes trust in everything really, as people will get entrenched in their favorite "source" while everything else is deemed fake.
Well that's the rub. Those bots are accounts.

If they want to give out numbers those numbers should include the bots that did nothing but signal boost these propaganda campaigns.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
untitled-1copyoesyn.png

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/925795320302366720

WaPo: Russian ads, now publicly released, show sophistication of influence campaign
Lawmakers on Wednesday released a trove of ads that Russian operatives bought on Facebook, providing the fullest picture yet of how foreign actors sought to promote Republican Donald Trump, denigrate Democrat Hillary Clinton and divide Americans over some of the nation's most sensitive social issues.

The ads that emerged, a sampling of the 3,000 that Russians bought during the 2016 presidential campaign and its aftermath, demonstrated in words and images a striking ability to mimic American political discourse at its most fractious. The targeting information also showed a shrewd understanding of how best to use Facebook to find and influence voters most likely to respond to the pitches.

As a group, the ads made visceral appeals to voters upset about illegal immigration, black political activism, the declining economic fortunes of coal miners, gun ownership, the rising prominence of Muslims in some U.S. communities and many other issues. Some ads, many of which were bought in Russian rubles, also explicitly called for people to attend political rallies amid a campaign season that already was among the most polarizing in recent U.S. history.
A Facebook page called "Being Patriotic" bought an ad touting a "Miners for Trump" rally in Pennsylvania, one of several key swing states.

"Mr. Trump pursues the goal of creating more jobs and supports the working class," says the ad, which features images of miners and Trump in a miner's protective hard hat. "He said he would put miners back to work."
Another ad, from a Russian-controlled group called Heart of Texas, announced a rally for May 21, 2016, under the banner of "Stop Islamization of Texas." A separate Russian-controlled group, United Muslims of America, publicized a competing rally to "Save Islamic Knowledge" at the same place and time, causing the two groups to face off in competing demonstrations in Houston -- a sign of how Russians hoped to turn divisions into open conflict.

Another page, targeting Donald Trump and Donald Trump Jr supporters, touted a rally opposing Hillary Clinton in New York City in July.

This crossover of online influence to real-world consequences was among the issues raised in a contentious Capitol Hill hearing Wednesday as members of the Senate Intelligence Committee repeatedly scolded technology company lawyers for not doing more to thwart Russian disinformation.
More in the link.

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
126 million is roughly the amount of people who voted in the election if I remember the vote tallies correctly.

But yeah the fake news that was being pushed last year was insane. You could really tell who the idiots were among your FB Friends, because they bought that shit hook line and sinker

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I believe that a solution is to use social media less frequently. I took Facebook off my phone, and I follow certain users on Twitter, primarily gaming related stuff.

I'll log onto FB occasionally to check stuff, but that's it. Shutting off the faucet (so to speak) has been helpful. That, and I don't want to be as much of a contributor to a company that, knowingly or unknowingly, fault or low-fault, played a really big part in spreading misinformation.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
126 million people affected, and hillary lost by what, 200k votes total? No way this election wasn't stolen.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It would be curious to see what the official Trump campaign did spend money on, seems like the Russians did most of the heavy lifting for them. Take away the Russian troll farm and did they do much themselves and did they ever wonder who was making these ads helping them out.

Also, didn't Twitter say recently they deleted loads of possible evidence somehow so they are basically hiding the true impact from their site.

OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone should make a new thread regarding the ad releases, it's "new news" and needs an attention-getting title because holy shit they're crazy.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Perhaps a mod can edit the thread title if no one wants to create a new thread.

Deleted member 20603

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad that I don't use facebook. I remember back before the election seeing a lot of ads like that on acquaintances' facebooks. Then they are liked, shared, and signal boosted to reinforce the eons-long effort to hurt H.C.

Even if conservatives already hated her, there's no doubt in my mind that the ads turned away independents.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
He's another "lefty" deliberately downplaying this shit.

FB spending should absolutely be investigated, and there absolutely should be total transparency mandated about who's buying political ads and who they're targeted at, but a big, scary number doesn't actually logically lead to "Russia stole the election" like numerous people in this very thread are suggesting. It's very easy to buy massive reach numbers with a relatively low spend.