• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FB spending should absolutely be investigated, and there absolutely should be total transparency mandated about who's buying political ads and who they're targeted at, but a big, scary number doesn't actually logically lead to "Russia stole the election" like numerous people in this very thread are suggesting. It's very easy to buy massive reach numbers with a relatively low spend.
The Russians were heavily interfering in the election. They were putting out fake ads, colluding with a presidential campaign, and all sorts of other shit.

The chance that none of that mattered on the margins is 0%.

If someone is actively interested in downplaying that possibility that it helped tip the election where Trump won only by under a hundred thousand votes, it says everything about who they are and what their priorities are.

Oct 26, 2017
All of the examples I've seen are pretty stupid. If they had a hand in tipping the election, than that says more about the US than Russia having some genius devilish scheme.

"Baby, it says here that Clinton is Satan and theres a picture of the devil and Christ arm wrestling. Maybe we should vote for the sexually assaulting conman instead"

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
All of the examples I've seen are pretty stupid. If they had a hand in tipping the election, than that says more about the US than Russia having some genius devilish scheme.

"Baby, it says here that Clinton is Satan and theres a picture of the devil and Christ arm wrestling. Maybe we should vote for the sexually assaulting conman instead"
People are stupid. And yes, these kinds of stupid ads helped convince people to stay home or vote Trump/3rd party. It was a low-percentage scheme that actually paid off. And if we are passive and weak now that we know about it, 2018 and 2020 will be even worse.

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
The Russians were heavily interfering in the election. They were putting out fake ads, colluding with a presidential campaign, and all sorts of other shit.

The chance that none of that mattered on the margins is 0%.

If someone is actively interested in downplaying that possibility that it helped tip the election where Trump won only by under a hundred thousand votes, it says everything about who they are and what their priorities are.

Their priorities are to continue with business as usual. They have zero interest in actually doing anything because doing anything will hurt their bottom line.

Facebook is primarially an advertizing platform that is pretty much being run under the anonymity of a small business and wants nothing to change. Deny, obfuscate and hope to whatever god they choose that all the money they spend on lobbying will result in congresional handwaving and the status quo of zero oversight.

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Don't forget the effort to conflate H.C. with her husband's behavior and allegations thereof, her experience as a lawyer, and also the pizzagate campaign that thousands bought into. In their minds maybe he was the lesser of two evils. He downplayed his as locker room talk, and a lot of people victim blamed the women like "why did they wait so long, they probably wanted a sweet payday from his billions."

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

More or less.

I mean, think what you will of Bernie supporters, but what I posted above - proof of a single Bernie page getting over 181 million paid reach in a single month - kind of undermines the idea that 126 million reach for the entire election is some staggering feat. If that's the case, just imagine the reach that paid anti-Clinton ads that had absolutely nothing to do with Russia probably got.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least 126 million, sad but expected to see Silicon Valley being so coy about how much to blame they are for allowing this to happen. How is no red flag raised when rubles are spent on anti-Clinton political ads? As long as the check clears...

OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their priorities are to continue with business as usual. They have zero interest in actually doing anything because doing anything will hurt their bottom line.

Facebook is primarially an advertizing platform that is pretty much being run under the anonymity of a small business and wants nothing to change. Deny, obfuscate and hope to whatever god they choose that all the money they spend on lobbying will result in congresional handwaving and the status quo of zero oversight.
I wasn't referring to Facebook here, they're obviously terrible on this. Meant that chorus of "lefties" (IceColdCoffee has a list) who deliberately downplay anything involving Russia.

Polymath

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Facebook is a trash tier company. In a just world, they'd face consequences for being a mass propaganda outlet.

Last edited:

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Just knowing the efficacy of Facebook ads, I'll bet less than 10% of that figure actually viewed this content.

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Facebook and their algorhitm can go fuck itself. Ads. Cunts.

Mark Zuckerberg and how they continue to kill FB+Instagram - both tools of communication in pursuit of money is disgusting. Man already owns a bazilllion dollars.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will never believe they "didn't see" any of that. You have to be blind or purposely turn a blind eye to not notice this.
Here I thought the intelligent rise up and intelligence makes a human better. =.=

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will never believe they "didn't see" any of that. You have to be blind or purposely turn a blind eye to not notice this.
Here I thought the intelligent rise up and intelligence makes a human better. =.=

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I believe that a solution is to use social media less frequently. I took Facebook off my phone, and I follow certain users on Twitter, primarily gaming related stuff.

I'll log onto FB occasionally to check stuff, but that's it. Shutting off the faucet (so to speak) has been helpful. That, and I don't want to be as much of a contributor to a company that, knowingly or unknowingly, fault or low-fault, played a really big part in spreading misinformation.

You should not pay attention to news in the first place if thats your viewpoint. Every big corperate news entity you listen to pushes their own particular narrative, and its not necessarily objective or hard hitting journalism.

I think this story is exaggerated compared to the pure amount of money other institutions pour into America's political process. Hundreds of billions of dollars from multinational corps and not a peep

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
You should not pay attention to news in the first place if thats your viewpoint. Every big corperate news entity you listen to pushes their own particular narrative, and its not necessarily objective or hard hitting journalism.

I think this story is exaggerated compared to the pure amount of money other institutions pour into America's political process. Hundreds of billions of dollars from multinational corps and not a peep

You bring up a good point. I tend to listen to sources that don't circulate memes (like NPR). It's the clickbait-styled "ads" that I'm referring to.

And it's definitely not Facebook only. Sorry, should have been more clear.

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just knowing the efficacy of Facebook ads, I'll bet less than 10% of that figure actually viewed this content.

I run ads for the businesses I work with and I can tell you if properly targeted - especially on instagram; more people will see it than you think. 500-1400 ends up hitting 3k+ people. The number on some of those ads are high because the inherent virality meant that it reached more people.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
FB is too left to be in cahoots. I just dont think they realised that their platform is ripe for abuse and there wasn't safeguards in place.

The russians were clever about this.

Russia was offering advertising $$$.

Facebook was willing to take it.

That's the extent of it.

This isn't a right or left issue, Russia wanted to cause chaos and have a president sympathetic to Russian interests.

If Hillary was soft on Russia and willing to drop the Magnitsky Act they'd support her in a heartbeat.