• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't make this stuff up.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ightwing-daily-caller-in-factchecking-program

Facebook's controversial factchecking program is partnering with the Daily Caller, a rightwing website that has pushed misinformation and is known for pro-Trump content.

The social network said Wednesday it had added CheckYourFact.com, which is part of the Daily Caller, as one of its US media partners in an initiative that has faced growing backlash from journalists and internal problems. The collaboration was first reported by Axios.

Factcheckers in the program are tasked with debunking potential false stories on Facebook to help stop their spread, but some journalists have said the effort hasn't been effective, and one of its major American partners, Snopes.com, cut ties earlier this year.

The Daily Caller, co-founded by the far-right Fox News host Tucker Carlson, publishes conservative news stories and commentary and has faced repeated accusations of running false and offensive content. In January, the site was widely condemned for the way it reported on a fake nude photo of the congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and its coverage of immigrationand the White House has typically aligned with Trump's agenda.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to see how bad it is out there right now. Not specific to Facebook, but social media in general.

I just watched a video on YT of someone asking people what they thought of Justin Trudeau right now. From that single video (no other political video, rest of my recent views were cooking, gaming, and fitness videos), my entire Recommended feed is a bunch of no-name channels all talking about "Justin Trudeau lied", "Justin Trudeau is a crook", etc, etc.

Now this is specific to Canada, but it's perfect area to check this system in place as the election is much closer (fall 2019).

So not just Facebook. And it's getting more aggressive then 2016.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
lol not even trying. Zuckerberg might as well get that apology ready when this inevitably crashes and burns.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Facebook board of directors is getting filled with Trumpers and led by Peter Thiel. Netflix CEO and another CEO just left because they don't like Trump

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Facebook has to be considered an alt-right platform at this point. There isn't a competent argument against that.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I did and it was nice. I'm still in Facebook ecosystem via Instagram and WhatsApp but the later has end-to-end encryption around messages and the former doesn't have much political items.

Just get off social media altogether. It's a freeing sensation and I ultimately feel happier without it all...though it is sad to think that it got to this point to begin with
I have my account deactivated just in case if one of my old friends still wants to message me just in case since that's my only way of getting in touch with them. But all of this bullshit just makes me want to get rid of it all together.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
Maybe wrong board here IIRC the gaming industry trade org—the Entertainment Software Association—has quietly sponsored Daily Caller events.

Crazy that there has not been in-depth reporting about the Daily Caller newsroom because some weird stuff has gone on there (underage drinking, rampant sexual and racial harassment causing at least one women to quit here internship, cofounder has a hedge fund with Bernie Madoff's accountant legally based on the offices, they registered milfistan[dot]com after Tucker got in trouble calling Sarah Palin queen of milfistan.).

Also, Joel Kaplan is a cancer.