• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's definitely happening. consider what costumer electronics can do IF YOU WANT THEM to.. and then incentivise it for advertisers.

Reick17

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon did that to me once. Talked to my buddy about a board game I've never searched for, and it was right there at the top of the app.

I now use a flip phone.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
We suspected this was happening once, we spoke about hot chocolate a lot on a particular trip, but nobody posted or searched anything related (no reason to, we would buy the one main brand we always buy from a super market). Amazingly we got hot chocolate ads the next day in our feed.

After Uber having access to our frame buffers, nothing surprises me.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I've had this happen as well. It really, really disturbed me but I finally brushed it off as paranoia.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh geez. I wonder what privacy laws (if any) were violated if this is true. I'm thinking none, since their TOS allows mic access.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I wonder how much better battery life would be if apps weren't doing sketchy stuff like this.

Also, is anyone else unable to post on the desktop site at the moment? I keep having to open my phone because hitting "Post Reply" on my PC isn't doing anything.

I'm using Chrome on both.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine how much power this could hold. Even the highest CEOs, politicians, hell, even world leaders could be constantly being surveiled. There could be some serious shit unleashed from this sort of surveillance, regardless of the legal ramifications.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
This definitely has happened to me before, unfortunately. Talked about go karting with my brother in the car without searching for it on my phone and got a GAF ad for it.

Namiks

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Facebook is nothing short of a disease.

I genuinely can't wait for it to crumble.

gruenel

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how this would be possible in iOS since it shows a big ass red bar on top of the screen if any app is using the microphone while in the background.

Either they found an exploit in iOS or this is just coincidence/staged.