• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Factorio recently released a developer blog about the game, referencing a programmer by the name of Uncle Bob.

A reddit user kindly pointed out Uncle Bob is quite controversial.

2vrd2uz.jpg

The developer responds:

Link

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a nightmare.

For people in the know, how big is the Factorio team and what's Kovarex's role within it? Is he like 1 member of a three man team? Lone dev?

Edit: 21 people.

www.factorio.com

Team | Factorio

I guess it's this dude?

image.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Saw this earlier on Twitter, and yeah the trans community is big into this one so the bigotry could actually be bad for their business. Oh well fuck around and find out…

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
He's well known in the software development industry. Uncle Bob's legitimately a great developer (not a great person) and his software development principles are the best out there (although there are others that push them now, Uncle Bob was the 'first'). He produces a ton of educational content that is legitimately helpful. Unfortunately, his political views are absolutely shit and abysmal. I'm not shocked to see a developer picking up his content for the first time, but I feel like most anyone in the industry knows who Uncle Bob is at this point and what his views are.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
This could have been easily understood as potentially, potentially, by the questionable elements of the person this dev was plugging being unaware to him, but he goes all in cancel culture edgelord about it. He kind of gave the show away when nobody was really trying, huh?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
"it's not my fault for attacking other people, its their fault for noticing my attacks and feeling offended!"

every
damn
time

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
He's well known in the software development industry. Uncle Bob's legitimately a great developer (not a great person) and his software development principles are the best out there (although there are others that push them now, Uncle Bob was the 'first'). He produces a ton of educational content that is legitimately helpful. Unfortunately, his political views are absolutely shit and abysmal. I'm not shocked to see a developer picking up his content for the first time, but I feel like most anyone in the industry knows who Uncle Bob is at this point and what his views are.

Ahh kk thx.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Saw this earlier on Twitter, and yeah the trans community is big into this one so the bigotry could actually be bad for their business. Oh well fuck around and find out…
Actually pretty interesting that Factorio has such a large trans community. Not really the kind of game where you'd immediately think "Oh yeah, I could see the trans community become drawn to this!" so really interesting to hear.

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
Geeze, that's a take. Even if you didn't know who Uncle Bob was or what their views were, that's a pretty hostile response towards fans. I spent a lot of time with Factorio too so it's shameful to see them overtly dismissive to this kind of feedback.

Good thing I have a lot of other avenues for my factory building bug (Dyson Sphere Program, etc.)

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
User Banned (1 month): inflammatory generalizations
Eastern European devs keep deliver.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I get what he's saying. I still use Hitler's muffin recipe. White flour, white vanilla, white chocolate. Hey a good idea's a good idea.

/s

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Imagine believing in cancel in a world where Kevin Spacey can land a starting role after everything he did.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
People really be falling over themselves to defend an asshole and his somewhat good and but not really that important book. All you need to do is read the intro to clean code to know Uncle Bob probably is a self important ass (or hell the fact he wants people to call him Uncle Bob should be enough red flags on it's own).

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes, not knowing that uncle Bob is a problematic person is one thing and it happens all the time that we promote problematic individuals without knowing so, but that response is just incredibly ignorant and hostile.

Eastern European devs keep deliver.

Can we please not do this? Eastern Europe has a lot of problems with problematic views for sure, but let's not peddle a stereotype of Eastern European developers being tools like this guy.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Lol, missed the "inevitable mass murder that comes after communism"... Is this guy for real? Do people really believe this shit? Like, after the countless genocides perpetrated under capitalism?

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Factorio's Twitter has responded:

Uh, wow.

A simple "we don't endorse that guy's views" would have been fine, but they choose to just go in like this, huh.

If people are looking for other factory games, there's Satisfactory and Dyson Sphere Program.

I feel like a couple of big names in software development are like this. They may be brilliant in their field, but are also unfortunately pretty crappy people.

Isn't the GNU guy also known to be a creep or something?

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Yeesh. haven't heard of the game or any of the devs but the way they're responding to people bringing the issue up...
Fuck factario indeed.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I read the OP and have no fucking clue what's going on except that this one person randomly decided to let us know that they'd be totally cool with Stalin.

Status
Not open for further replies.