• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
d1Y6lRj.gif

The wait between MGS games felt long before 4 let alone after!

the events of mgs4 would have played out 4 years ago

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic has been a 3rd party franchise for more than half it's life.
The Xbox line has been around longer than the entirety of Sega's consoles.
If you were 8 when you played Smash Bros Brawl, you can vote this year.
There are people playing FighterZ that were born after GT ended in NA.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
The fact that video games have been adjusted to touchscreen interface in recent years. Watch this kid trying to play the Game Boy.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not really gaming related, but I remember when Yahoo was a website that just listed all the websites you might want to go to, and you had to contact them to get yours added. That makes me feel old.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not 100% on topic, but I recently started playing vampire: bloodlines. A 14 years old game, that I had problems running back then on my shitty PC. Long story short, the game is running at 4k/60 now thanks to fan patches (and is in general in a much better state). I checked my GPU load and it's barely around 5% load... Which blew my mind. I remember having problems and now my gpu barely gets used.
And before:"but it looks like terrible today." Yeah, but back then it was state of the art.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that video games have been adjusted to touchscreen interface in recent years. Watch this kid trying to play the Game Boy.

Tangentially related but I visited a friend with a 4 year old a few months ago after getting an Apple watch and they immediately knew how to interact with it without question, it blew my mind a little.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
1938: War of the Worlds radio drama causes mass hysteria
1978: Space Invaders causes mass hysteria
2018: Taito is owned by Square Enix

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
My niece asked what is this object at the corner of the room, she never saw something like this before at her house.

It was a CRT TV

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My niece asked what is this object at the corner of the room, she never saw something like this before at her house.

It was a CRT TV
Damn. I once gave a presentation about the CRT technology back in school.

giphy.gif

My contribution: every Back to the Future game takes place entirely in the past.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One gaming system have been around for 25+ years and you can still play new games on it while also those 25+ year old games.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
The facts in OP are more like "facts that make the games feel old". Making you feel old is a secondary effect if you were actually there to play thel when those games got released.

Oct 26, 2017
Donkey Kong (1981) was released closer to the end of World War II (1945) than to the present (2018). So was Castle Wolfenstein.

As of 2018, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (2002) was released 16 years ago. At the time of its release, it was set 16 years in the past (1986).

Doom (1993) came out closer to the first moon landing (1969) than to the present (2018).

The Atari 2600 (1977) was released closer to the Hindenburg explosion (1937) than to the present (2018).

name more.
Fuck you OP.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
We are twice as far from the "All Your Base Are Belong To Us" meme as the AYBABTU meme was from the MD release of Zero Wing.

The numbers aren't aesthetically pleasing for a couple of years, but in 2020, we'll be as far from Outrun 2 as Outrun 2 was from Out Run

Oct 26, 2017
Being an old gamer sucks because unlike with movies, music, and books this is the one entertainment hobby where your old ass can't claim/gloat that stuff was way better back in your heydey.
I think the worst part is the stigma - in most parts of the world playing video games is still considered extremely childish.

The Donkey Kong/WWII one always blows my mind. We're rapidly approaching the point (2026-8 years from now) where the release of Pong is closer to the end of World War I than the present day.
Just shoot me.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm turning 18 in 7 months, so yeah. OT: I don't get why people are cringing and stuff at things being old. Time passes y'know,
You'll get it when your older. It's only recently happened to me.

As time pass and things change so do you when you are younger. You age at a rapid rate going through life stages pretty quickly. So you are used to change because that's all you know. Once you are older things start becoming more of the same. You don't have this major milestones of growth. So when time passes the same, it dosent pass the same like it once did.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
MS will soon have been in the console market for longer than Sega were

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Donkey Kong (1981) was released closer to the end of World War II (1945) than to the present (2018). So was Castle Wolfenstein.

As of 2018, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (2002) was released 16 years ago. At the time of its release, it was set 16 years in the past (1986).

Doom (1993) came out closer to the first moon landing (1969) than to the present (2018).

The Atari 2600 (1977) was released closer to the Hindenburg explosion (1937) than to the present (2018).

name more.
GQcia8USxY3jNTh1I9ECjO47CzBPI7X2Lyqcy1gwhZ3tKO4GlLFATORRzJr7qo_eU6Mjqq13mVM7MGEEaK_ZCso9JTI9CAHTzM3xPd_nbwAC2891Iuq5l5WSPeJxuKnZARlD1dLZ4VuD8Znoif4B_Mk=w422-h278-nc

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
Being an old gamer sucks because unlike with movies, music, and books this is the one entertainment hobby where your old ass can't claim/gloat that stuff was way better back in your heydey.

Ultima IV was an RPG about setting an example for a kingdom through a series of virtues. Ultima V was an RPG about what happens when a system of spiritual beliefs is turned into a tool of oppression. Ultima VI was an RPG about what happens when a system of spiritual beliefs encounters a different system of spiritual beliefs, and how those beliefs are a means to an end rather than an end unto itself, and at the end you unite two warring peoples by bringing them wisdom.

I like to remind people of this when they say video game narratives have matured, but all the RPGs end with you killing a guy with even less convincing motivations than a Marvel Cinematic Universe villain.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm turning 18 in 7 months, so yeah. OT: I don't get why people are cringing and stuff at things being old. Time passes y'know,

You will grow old. It's inevitable. You may feel invincible at your age and being old seems like a unreachable goalpost, it will happen.
You will die and turn to dust. And everything you've ever done, every line spoken, every action taken, anyone touched and holded and argued with, will be forgotten. Forever.
You. Mean. Nothing.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Disagree, I can already gloat to my girlfriends 13 year old brother that I used to be able to play online without fees and buy a complete game at launch when I was his age

in 10 years time, looking back and remembering games before they were Skinner box based lootbox pushing psychologically exploitative gambling facsimiles will make it clear as day that things were better before

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
You will grow old. It's inevitable. You may feel invincible at your age and being old seems like a unreachable goalpost, it will happen.
You will die and turn to dust. And everything you've ever done, every line spoken, every action taken, anyone touched and holded and argued with, will be forgotten. Forever.
You. Mean. Nothing.
What the fuck