• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 2, 2017
Is it (still) true that the exploit is unpatchable by Nintendo? Can I safely update my launch Switch to its latest system update so I can play online with my friends? Note that I haven't installed any hacks; I would prefer doing that later, when everything is more developed.
Yes, all switches currently sold are full hacked for ever if you use Jig method (hardware).

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably buy one of those Xecuter's modchip, is that the easiest way to mod it? Or is the Jig the best way?

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably buy one of those Xecuter's modchip, is that the easiest way to mod it? Or is the Jig the best way?
You're confused. The jig allows your Switch to enter RCM (Recovery Mode), which is the exploit that allows it to start running unsigned code. The Xecuter thing is a custom firmware + payload injection tool. There's a free custom firmware coming soon (Atmosphere). Both will require the jig (or any other way to bridge some pins (paperclip, piece of wire, etc).

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're confused. The jig allows your Switch to enter RCM (Recovery Mode), which is the exploit that allows it to start running unsigned code. The Xecuter thing is a custom firmware + payload injection tool. There's a free custom firmware coming soon (Atmosphere). Both will require the jig (or any other way to bridge some pins (paperclip, piece of wire, etc).
Thanks! Yeah I'm confused

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, all switches currently sold are full hacked for ever if you use Jig method (hardware).
Ah, I see. What about a software method? I do not want to open up my Switch to mess with its hardware. Has Nintendo patched out the software method? Could they in the future?

Also, is it possible to check which system version I have currently, without updating?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I just checked and my switch is on version 4.1.0. I went into maintenance mode to delete the update that had already been downloaded but not installed.

So from what I understand, there isn't a custom system software for 4.1.0 yet, but there will be one soon? And this will work just like my modded Xbox did way back in the day, as in, it will be able to run homebrew and stuff?

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I just checked and my switch is on version 4.1.0. I went into maintenance mode to delete the update that had already been downloaded but not installed.

So from what I understand, there isn't a custom system software for 4.1.0 yet, but there will be one soon? And this will work just like my modded Xbox did way back in the day, as in, it will be able to run homebrew and stuff?
Pretty much (eventually). CFW is open source and releasing soonish. It's called Atomstphere (https://gbatemp.net/threads/atmosphere-nx-custom-firmware-in-development-by-sciresm.496832/) . Dev twitter https://twitter.com/SciresM

Here's a good guide (https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.488277/)

There's also SX OS, which is CFW by Xecutor that is pretty much used for piracy.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think that brand new Switches sold today are on firmware 5.0.0? That came out back in March, right?

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Last edited:

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played a bit of Wario Land 4 and was absolutely stunned by the experience with how large and beautiful the Switch screen is.

God we need VC so much.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

Whatever you do, don't buy the Team Xecuter mod or use their custom firmware. They have code in the firmware that will brick your Switch if you try to use their dongle on a different console. I wouldn't use or trust anything that has any kind of bricking code written into it.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever you do, don't buy the Team Xecuter mod or use their custom firmware. They have code in the firmware that will brick your Switch if you try to use their dongle on a different console. I wouldn't use or trust anything that has any kind of bricking code written into it.

Thanks for the info, yeah they seem scummy

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
If anyone is considering buying TX CFW, WAIT. Brazilian team MATRIX said they will release a totally free CFW With Trainer mode, homebrew and, well, of course, backup loading. At least it will be free and won't have brick code....

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
as someone that knows almost nothing about technology, what distinguishes piracy from emulation?

For me, emulation & piracy walk the same street together.

Nothing wrong with having the actual emulator providing it doesn't use copyrighted source code or bios.

Then once people have emulators they then proceed to populate it with games. Question is do they originally own these games? If not, then it's piracy. Right?

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Am on 5.1, but not interested in buying some RCM jigs. If the scene develops enough that I can avoid buying that, then I might look in to it. Save editing for my single player games is what appeals to me the most out of this.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
as someone that knows almost nothing about technology, what distinguishes piracy from emulation?
An emulator is a program that gets one piece of hardware to act like it is another piece of hardware eg. A program to get a Switch to act like it is a Gameboy Advanced.

These emulator programs can then open and run game files such as .gba files that contain the data that would have originally been on a GBA cart.

Whether it is piracy or not depends on whether you got those game files legally or not. If you took your own GBA cartridge and extracted the file from it then it would not be piracy. However if you went online and found the game file and downloaded it then it would be piracy.

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
When I found out about how we can run linux I was excited but there was this battery problem. They now say it is solved. SO if I just use the wire trick and use another sd card to boot and use linux Nothing Else , no cfw no homebrew on device, would it get my device banned?

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
For me, emulation & piracy walk the same street together.

Nothing wrong with having the actual emulator providing it doesn't use copyrighted source code or bios.

Then once people have emulators they then proceed to populate it with games. Question is do they originally own these games? If not, then it's piracy. Right?

emulation is a technical term, it means simulating the original machine using code to mimic the original parts in a more powerful hardware. Piracy is a legal term, meaning the illegal reproduction of software without paying for it. For some people Piracy is justified in all contexts (when they say they are too poor to pay, so without piracy they wouldnt even play) and for others piracy is justified when the software is too old and is not on the market, meaning that the possibility of giving money to the publisher for that software doesnt exist.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
depending how you look at it.
Piracy is running a software you obtained by any mean other than buying or getting gifted. Anything you run on a hacked Console (or on PC) without owning the original program (either physical or download version) is Piracy.

Emulation is "simulating a Console within your PC" and run the games from a ROM (the game extracted from the CD and saved in the PC)
Emulation is legal AS LONG as the ROMS running in it, you bought it (either Physical and extracted the ROM from the CD or Digital and transferred the game from the Console to the PC)
If you Emulate using a ROM you found online etc etc, Now that is Piracy

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
emulation is a technical term, it means simulating the original machine using code to mimic the original parts in a more powerful hardware. Piracy is a legal term, meaning the illegal reproduction of software without paying for it. For some people Piracy is justified in all contexts (when they say they are too poor to pay, so without piracy they wouldnt even play) and for others piracy is justified when the software is too old and is not on the market, meaning that the possibility of giving money to the publisher for that software doesnt exist.

I understand what you're saying.

People want to play games for free. And people who pirate can come to any excuse that sounds "legitimate" as to why they do.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Piracy is running a software you obtained by any mean other than buying or getting gifted. Anything you run on a hacked Console (or on PC) without owning the original program (either physical or download version) is Piracy.

Emulation is "simulating a Console within your PC" and run the games from a ROM (the game extracted from the CD and saved in the PC)
Emulation is legal AS LONG as the ROMS running in it, you bought it (either Physical and extracted the ROM from the CD or Digital and transferred the game from the Console to the PC)

It's not just a console on a PC, it's simulating one device on another. There's emulators for old computers too, it's not limited to consoles, and emulators also aren't limited to running on a PC.

Nov 2, 2017

This is what most people do with emulation, because mostly no one owns every game they would like to play so they can dump and play through emulation.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
It's not just a console on a PC, it's simulating one device on another. There's emulators for old computers too, it's not limited to consoles, and emulators also aren't limited to running on a PC.
I know, but tried to keep it simple :D

This is what most people do with emulation, because mostly no one owns every game they would like to play so they can dump and play through emulation.
some people will release the hounds if I were to imply the majority of people using Emulation (and homebrew) is for piracy purpose so I rather just listed the differences o3o

Oct 29, 2017
If anyone is considering buying TX CFW, WAIT. Brazilian team MATRIX said they will release a totally free CFW With Trainer mode, homebrew and, well, of course, backup loading. At least it will be free and won't have brick code....

That's awesome. Did they provide any info on a timeline, on when it might be released?

I'm keeping my switch at 4.1. Thank god no games require 5.0 yet.

Deleted member 4852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An emulator is a program that gets one piece of hardware to act like it is another piece of hardware eg. A program to get a Switch to act like it is a Gameboy Advanced.

These emulator programs can then open and run game files such as .gba files that contain the data that would have originally been on a GBA cart.

Whether it is piracy or not depends on whether you got those game files legally or not. If you took your own GBA cartridge and extracted the file from it then it would not be piracy. However if you went online and found the game file and downloaded it then it would be piracy.

thanks

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
That's awesome. Did they provide any info on a timeline, on when it might be released?

I'm keeping my switch at 4.1. Thank god no games require 5.0 yet.

Remember, that any Switch that has even had CFW installed in it, gets banned once it goes online. Even if you're not using CFW when you go online.

Switch records, logs and reports certain exclusive telemetry that nobody has figured out yet...except Nintendo.

wildcat

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (3 days) for admitting to piracy. This is not allowed per our rules.
Well, I'm personally waiting on an open source CFW to get a 2nd switch to enjoy homebrew (linux, older consoles emulation, switch ROMs). Shouldn't be that long I thnk.
As for 'piracy', my take on that is I'm currently buying 1 physical switch game a month, not mentioning some eshop titles when discounted/not available in physical format, this is what my 'personal budget' is. I'll allow myself to test some switch ROMS once I get 2 switchs for games I did not intend to purchase. If the game was worth my playtime, I'll buy it for my collection - this is what I'm doing with other platforms / medias (PC, audio CDs).
What Nintendo is doing (banning switch for people playing hacked online games) is obvious, could lead to a lot of cheats relating to online play if not done. Whatever you do with your offline purchased switch is another thing imho.

Oct 29, 2017
Remember, that any Switch that has even had CFW installed in it, gets banned once it goes online. Even if you're not using CFW when you go online.

Switch records, logs and reports certain exclusive telemetry that nobody has figured out yet...except Nintendo.

That's fine. I don't play online anyway given Nintendo's poor online infrastructure.