• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's true, anything to do with touching the Switch OS can have pretty bad consequences.
I talking about the "eMMC board" thing, because I thought they were talking about physically removing it.

Physically removing it is actually safer, since you are not damaging it. If you feel like you screwed up, you can pin it back in and be like "maybe some other time". If you corrupt and fuck up...that's GG.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Depends, Nintendo is both winning on the hardware for more sellthroughs, but long-term it's a loss because developers are now starting to lose faith in it. Developers who are pro-security and such.

More devs are moving to PC, the least secured platform, not away from it. :P This is going to be largely irrelevant if T214 is as I have read, and if it hits circulation soon then you basically have a scene that is trapped in <20mil units of which majority will not be interested in fucking with their eMMC or even understand what that means.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
This lets you download and play Nintendo games free, on your actual Switch? Or is it for homebrew? Sorry not an expert on this stuff

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Hacking always produces hilarious tactics used by both HW manufacturers and hackers.

Leaked USB stick for accessing secure boot on PS3 was big [or Sony forgetting to turn on randomizer lol], but this wire solution takes the cake.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Physically removing it is actually safer, since you are not damaging it. If you feel like you screwed up, you can pin it back in and be like "maybe some other time". If you corrupt and fuck up...that's GG.
Wait, I don't think that the payloads currently available are able to do that.
Because if it works with the eMMC on or not, it's not doing anything to it.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I don't think that the payloads currently available are able to do that.
Because if it works with the eMMC on or not, it's not doing anything to it.

You need to make the eMMC not boot, is what I meant. The payloads are bypassing it either because you removed it or you corrupted it or you shifted the expected register. If you did the middle one, you've basically wiped your Switch.

idzuki

Oct 27, 2017
UK
You need to make the eMMC not boot, is what I meant. The payloads are bypassing it either because you removed it or you corrupted it or you shifted the expected register. If you did the middle one, you've basically wiped your Switch.
You don't need to do anything with the eMMC if you short the pins, so I don't know why you're still talking like you have to remove or corrupt it.

Davevil

Self-requested perma ban.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chris-Schauble-Shocked-Reaction-to-LA-Earthquake.gif

Out of nowhere?

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
The coldboot exploit was released also, AND the coldboot loader Fusée gelée that enables any code execution from boot.
Switch is is officially wide open. All that's left is the actual Atmosphere CFW payload, which is close.
For more info check GBAtemp

Last edited:

Kiunch

Oct 26, 2017
God... Homebrew console with touchscreen, portable, motion controller for light gun, HDMI out, wireless controller, multipleplayer with one device on the go....

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
They seem to get defensive when you say the quiet part out loud.

I know, ETA is a terrible word :)

Defensive or not, pirates don't care for the motivations of the people creating the exploit. They don't care for the genuinely good natured homebrew community. They don't care for the genuine ones who will buy and rip their games legitimately. They don't care for 'preservation'.

They just wait for groups like this to open the door. That's why many get pissed off and bring up the subject so often, sometimes conflating issues that shouldn't be. Once the door is open, things snowball whatever the initial intent.

It's gonna be hard to shut this door again now and if I was a Switch dev I'd be pissed off as odds are high it will hit their bottom line

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All I want is classic SNES/NES/Gameboy games. Fuck Nintendo for not having that shit there at launch, let alone a year later now.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
When it comes to hacking, anything is possible with Nintendo. There is a program that allows you to download Wii U Games for Cemu directly from Nintendo servers. They still haven't taken it down lol.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Say goodbye to software sales.

There is no correlation with consoles having piracy enabled and poor software sales. I mean PS2 has sold by far the most software of any console and it was easy as hell to play pirated games on it.

Reminds me of the psp days when all you needed to flash a psp was to open up your batter and cut a pin. I still have my magic memory card somewhere

Or when you could use GTA Liberty City Stories save exploit to launch homebrew. Great times.

PSP had completely normal attach rate for handheld. Around 4.4 per system (more than original GameBoy and about the same as GBA).

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There is no correlation with consoles having piracy enabled and software sales. I mean PS2 has sold by far the most software of any console and it was easy as hell to play pirated games on it.
While there are lots of piracy enabled consoles that survived and continued to thrive, it's kind of funny saying there is no correlation two posts below an article of a psp dev saying the piracy made the console uninteresting to work on.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Lol dude is all your gonna do keep trying scaremongering and needlessly overcomplicating things when it comes to Switch hacks in every thread

And you spreading misinformation too as explained by idzuki:
You don't need to do anything with the eMMC if you short the pins, so I don't know why you're still talking like you have to remove or corrupt it.

Last edited:

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
PSP had completely normal attach rate for handheld. Around 4.4 per system (more than original GameBoy and about the same as GBA).

But you also had a significant drop in the sales of games on PSP as piracy grew. It was common for latter PSP games to sell less, potentially a lot less, than their predecessor while there would be millions upon millions of torrented downloads.

Even Sony came out and said it was the biggest problem with the console.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
this is how i got bootloader access on my old Evo 3D, good to know some loose wires and suggestive whispers are all you need to boot whatever