• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
KhfLMjY.jpg

Will air Sundays in Japan at 7am
Streamed by Funimation and Crunchyroll in NA as well as other participating territories (will update later)

MAL Link:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35972/Fairy_Tail__Final_Series

https://www.fairytail-tv.com/news/

SJhyBPF.gif

Fairy Tail History:
Fairy Tail is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Hiro Mashima. It was serialized in Kodansha's Weekly Shōnen Magazine from August 2, 2006 to July 26, 2017, with the individual chapters collected and published into 63 tankōbon volumes. The story follows the adventures of Natsu Dragneel, a member of the popular wizard[2] guild Fairy Tail, as he searches the fictional world of Earth-land for the dragon Igneel.
The manga has been adapted into an anime series produced by A-1 Pictures, Dentsu Inc., Satelight, Bridge, and CloverWorks which began broadcasting in Japan on October 12, 2009. Additionally, A-1 Pictures has developed seven original video animations and two animated feature films. The series ended its initial run on March 30, 2013. A second series premiered on TV Tokyo on April 5, 2014, and ended on March 26, 2016. A third series of the anime series is scheduled to air on October 7, 2018.[3][4] The series has also inspired numerous spin-off manga, including a sequel storyboarded by Mashima, titled Fairy Tail 100 Years Quest, which launched on July 25, 2018.
Fairy Tail was originally licensed for an English language release in North America by Del Rey Manga, which began releasing the individual volumes on March 25, 2008 and ended its licensing with the 12th volume release in September 2010. In December 2010, Kodansha USA took over North American release of the series. The Southeast Asian network Animax Asia aired an English-language version of the anime for seven seasons from 2010 to 2015. The anime has been licensed by Funimation for an English-language release in North America. As of February 2017, Fairy Tail had 60 million copies in print

Characters:
wNQ2n3J.jpg

There really too many involved in the anime/manga, but the main ones of note for this season are:
Natsu, Erza, Gray, Lucy, Happy, Carla and Wendy.

Additional Fairy Tail Info:
http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Teaser Trailer:
https://youtu.be/4fyLrtrMIh0

PV1:
https://youtu.be/JXYQ_v_hFzM

Anime story coverage for Final Season:
This will be the final season of Fairy Tail as it will cover the last 130 chapters of the series (not sure how long the final season will last as they could add a filler here and there). The new season will highlight the Alvarez Empire and 100 Years Quest arc!

Key Art:
XCeEqhO.jpg
TdchkFQ.jpg

Staff & Cast for the anime:
The main staff are all returning from the second and most recent television anime. Shinji Ishihira is directing at A-1 Pictures and Bridge, Masashi Sogo is handling series composition, and Shinji Takeuchi and Toshihiko Sano are designing the characters. Shoji Hata is the sound designer and Yasuharu Takanashi is composing the music. With the exception of the second animation studio and the character designers, the main staff is also the same as the first anime.

Returning cast members include:
Tetsuya Kakihara as Natsu
Aya Hirano as Lucy
Rie Kugimiya as Happy
Yūichi Nakamura as Gray
Sayaka Ohara as Erza

kb6aMV0.gif

Thread Rules/Reminders:
lK8jY8F.png

1) Do not make Happy angry! In other words, play nice in the sandbox
2) no spoiler tags are needed for anything discussed from Season 1&2. If your watching the Final Season, it's implied you have already watched them.
3) Have Fun with the thread!

Don't make the mods step in and take control
PEHgV0I.gif

Last edited:

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'll watch this. I never got around to finishing the last like 12 chapters for the series. There was a follow up as well I think

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cool ! I'll wait for the French dub to be completely released.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Even tough I wasn't a fan of the final arc, I am looking forward to it. Still need to finish up season 2 and Zero. Don't know yet if I will watch this season dubbed or subbed.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if this'll be the actual final arc or if they'll just adapt the new manga later on too.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Man the final arc was insane, but said they going to skip so much

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I like Fairy Tail well enough, and I'm even reading that sequel series, but the final arc in the manga was a hot mess. Still, there were some cool moments. I hope the anime finds a way to clean it all up.

May 10, 2018
I was wondering if this was ever coming back.

It's not an all time favorite of mine but I've enjoyed the anime and stuck with it.

Dinoric

Oct 28, 2017
Based on the Dragon Cry movie, it certainly looks like Grey and Juvia finally got together.
Concerning the Dragon Cry movie, does anyone know were it fits into the story. I know it it was set past were the last anime ended just wondering at what point in this new season would it be best to watch it?

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
Concerning the Dragon Cry movie, does anyone know were it fits into the story. I know it it was set past were the last anime ended just wondering at what point in this new season would it be best to watch it?

Tough to say until the new season starts, but given that the guild was united again - I'd say that it probably takes place right after Fairy Tail joins back up.

Dinoric

Oct 28, 2017
Tough to say until the new season starts, but given that the guild was united again - I'd say that it probably takes place right after Fairy Tail joins back up.
Thanks. I'll look out for that in the new season. If the story in the movie is really important i'm guessing it might be adapted into some of the episodes for the new season.

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
Didn't have the chance to reply over the long weekend, but yes - Fairy Tail is back!

It picks up right at the end of the last episode, and this first arc definitely looks to be the "get the gang back together" arc. I'm glad they kept Natsu powered up - I've been tired of the trope where Natsu has god-level powers and then gets punked by the villains of the next arc right off the bat. Here, it's clear he's spent the last year training and he owns it.

I was a little disappointed that the first Fairy Tail member they find was Wendy - she's probably one of my least favorite characters - and it seems like her story will take at least two more episodes before we wrap that up and get to the next guild member they find. I can't see Erza having joined a new guild, and I'm sure Grey and Juvia are together.

I did like that the opening was a flash-forward to what I assume is the final battle of the show. Interesting to note who was there and who wasn't - no sign of Gajeel, Laxus, or even Wendy! But Juvia was with them...

Anyway, this episode had plenty of laughs. Good Natsu/Happy humor, and the next episode seems primed to have some explosive battles. Looking forward to it, but waiting a week for each episode after binging 277 episodes is... painful lol.

I should note that I don't read the manga, so I have no idea what's coming up for the story... going in blind!

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
Thanks. I'll look out for that in the new season. If the story in the movie is really important i'm guessing it might be adapted into some of the episodes for the new season.

They didn't adapt the last movie into the show, and I doubt they'll adapt Dragon Cry. Based on the first episode of the final season, my guess is that Dragon Cry takes place after the first story arc of this season where the guild gets back together. The movie gives backstory on Acnologia and teases the villains of the new season... but you can probably skip it and not miss a beat. But Natsu does almost become E.N.D. (turns into a dragon!) and it is super baller. I enjoyed Dragon Cry much more than the first film (maybe because I was in agony waiting for the show to return) so definitely check it out if you can. Amazon has the Blu Ray for under $20!

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
This week's episode was EXCELLENT.

Super happy to see that they didn't nerf Natsu - he has a great moment against an old foe and just demolishes him.

Also glad that this arc ended pretty quick. If it stretched longer than 2 episodes, I would have been a little miffed that it would take so long for Fairy Tail to reform. And next week's episode with Juvia looks really intriguing...

Oct 7, 2018
I feel weird about this season. It took me 2 years to get through fairy tail and I ended it right as they came out. But this season makes me feel like there is a lack of build up. Maybe I've grown out of fairy tail which is sad to say. I love this anime but these two episodes make me feel like there's so much missing. I have not ready the manga so maybe I'm suppose to feel this way.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, I didn't realize they're finally adapting the rest of Fairy Tail.

I need to get caught up on the anime before I get to these new episodes. Last I watched was the beginning of Tartaros (I actually finished reading that arc in the manga, but I decided I wanted to watch the rest of the series in anime form so I've been waiting)

Also there's a sequel series now? I have been so out of the loop lol

ahdurian

Oct 25, 2017
oh wow its going to cover the 100 Years Quest too? maybe i wont read it then and just wait for it be animated

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
The OST ought to be good.

I lost interest in the series a long time ago, after getting thoroughly disappointed by how some characters were treated and bad writing in general. Still, I'm pleased to read the anime series will get a proper ending.

Huge manga spoilers:
Just how many deaths were faked and/or not conclusive? There were absolutely no impact after a while, since we knew that the author would never really kill anyone. Really disappointing.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The last episode was pretty solid. Watching Natsu KO a dude who actually gave Gildarts trouble is insane tho. He was literally only training for a year lmao. I feel like the shortest time skips give the biggest jumps in strength.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first two episodes. I figured they were going to cover these early post-second-timeskip parts very quickly, combining the Wendy and Gray parts, so I was surprised they went with a straightforward adaptation.

The animation was pretty bad, but that's Fairy Tail for you. Art still looks nice, though, and the music is still good.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
mBpxlbA.jpg

This last episode was stupid, but Fairy Tail stupid, so it was okay. Very funny, lots of adorable moments. The animation could be better but you don't watch FT for that.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished with the 2014 series and started with the first episode of this final season. I might post my thoughts on the 2014 series / the Tartaros Arc later in this thread (as we don't really have a Fairy Tail OT here on ResetEra anyway) but as far as the new series goes:

Fairy Tail Ep. 278

This was a fun enough episode.

The start of the episode seemed a little foreboding, but then turned really cheesy with how the group goes from sleeping to waking up while perfectly completing Erza's motivational speech without even skipping a beat lol (but that's Fairy Tail for you).

Wendy becoming some idol with Shelia, and Carla becoming a catgirl is the Fairy Tail bullshitI've come to expect, though I did roll my eyes at Carla's catgirl form apparently being better for using magic or something (now that's bullshit that I don't believe). And uh there's not really much else to say. It's a setup episode for this season, it's a setup for this obvious "recruit Wendy" thing they're doing, so this episode's basically a setup double whammy with not a lot going on.

I guess Natsu seems ridiculously powerful (like him blasting those bandits from real far away was actually legit impressive) and Makarov's got a sick beard in the intro.

And I guess it's understandable that there's a new Magic Council, though I have so many questions with the latter. For example: if the Magic Council is so important that the Guilds cannot function without one, why the hell were they not better protected during the Tartaros Arc? You'd think they'd have like at least one or two Wizard Saints watching over the Magic Council at all times (there's like what, 10 of them? So it'd be easy enough to rotate members or something). Well, that doesn't seem to be a problem with this new Council seemingly consisting of only Wizard Saints, so whatever.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing more episodes. Going forward, pretty much everything of this Final Arc is gonna be brand new to me. I'm not expecting the greatest thing ever (this is still Fairy Tail) but I just hope they keep things entertaining and don't get too stupid at times

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Carla becoming a catgirl is the Fairy Tail bullshitI've come to expect, though I did roll my eyes at Carla's catgirl form apparently being better for using magic or something (now that's bullshit that I don't believe

Why would you not believe a human form exceed is better at using magic? She copied the idea from panther lily, after all, and his larger form is clearly better using magic.

Your point about the council not having any wizard saints is interesting, but they actually did have one of them among their number when the series started. Then jellal ended up being a madman who wrecked the entire council with his subordinates, which you could argue put them off having another one on board.

This weekends episode explained why the council was reformed anyway.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you not believe a human form exceed is better at using magic? She copied the idea from panther lily, after all, and his larger form is clearly better using magic.

Your point about the council not having any wizard saints is interesting, but they actually did have one of them among their number when the series started. Then jellal ended up being a madman who wrecked the entire council with his subordinates, which you could argue put them off having another one on board.

Why's she a cute catgirl instead of a buff ass catwoman?

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017

Panther Lily is able to fight in his large form, but I don't think he's said to be better at using magic specifically while he's large, just that the large form allows him to fight. It's confusing to me because if Carla uses the magic to transform into (and sustain) her human form and then uses magic in that form, isn't she using more magic than normal? It makes no sense to me. Honestly though, the whole thing doesn't really matter. It's obvious that Mashima just wanted Carla to be a catgirl for some reason, so she is one now and "being better at using magic" is the in-universe reason she is one.

On the point about the Council, my question is less "why aren't there Saints on the Council?" and more "why are the Saints, who are given their titles by the Magic Council, not more involved with protecting the Council?". Tbh my comment really just boils down to "the Wizard Saints didn't do anything during Tartaros and I'm still bothered about that" but I don't really want to get into it

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Fairy Tail Ep. 279

Pretty eh episode. I was kinda hoping to see Wendy and Shelia deal with the problem on their own, but I guess we need to really show off how strong Natsu is, so Natsu gets to 1-shot Bluenote instead. Wendy then basically joins up and that's the end of the episode. Not a lot to talk about, especially when the whole Wendy subplot was never in doubt (of course she was gonna join) and Shelia already said she was basically okay with Wendy leaving last episode sucking out further tension from the "will she or won't she join Natsu and Lucy"

Like I said, if Wendy and Shelia had been able to fix the problem on their own, things could have be marginally more interesting. Having them work together could at least have Natsu and Lucy step back and go "man she's a really good fit for Lamia" or something, adding a tiny bit more tension to the whole situation. And we could also show off how strong Wendy's become during the timeskip (instead of showing off how strong Natsu's become, which we've already been doing).

...But that didn't happen, so it's just more "Natsu sure is strong" with a boring, tension-less subplot with Wendy going on in the background this episode. At least we're getting straight to Juvia next episode (and hey, Mashima remembered that she makes it rain when she's kinda moody! I'm getting kinda excited about this now)

Anyway, other random comments that popped into my head as I watched were:
  • "Damn, Bluenote's really ugly even in this anime..." was what I was going to say until I checked the manga and realized "Actually, Bluenote was always ugly af" lmao

• The studio seems really fond of catgirl Carla. She's in the intro for an extended amount of time, and even the one thing she does (which is kick only one mook) had more budget into it than any other action scene. I'd laugh if I weren't disappointed that the budget didn't go to Regulus Lucy Kick instead
  • No redesigns for Bluenote or Loki was pretty lame. Lucy getting new powers and outfits is great though (...I just realized that the Taurus themed outfit is probably gonna be really pervy)

• There were so many unnecessary flashbacks in this episode. The only one that was warranted imo was Bluenote

• ...Is that Acnologia in human form? I really hope not, that's a really lame design. I think Mashima's non human designs are easily way more interesting than his normal human ones (like with the design of the male Tartaros demons)

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, no activity for a while.

I feel behind for a couple weeks, and caught up today with episode 288. Though the animation remains pretty eh, and there are obvious cheats like not showing impacts or people getting out of vehicles and such, but given the expectations of this anime, they've done a pretty good job adapting this part of the arc. Brandish and Ajeel, particularly (wow, that official name is way too close to Gajeel), with hype music playing in those episodes. Of course, we're still in the good part of the arc, and the real test will be how they handle the drudgery of the later parts.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Fairy Tail Ep. 280 - 283

I thought this mini-arc was pretty entertaining, even if the writing was still as spotty ever

Since this mini-arc was four episodes long (and I don't quite remember which point was specific to which episode), I'll just go with random bullet points.
  • Most of the comedic moments definitely worked for me (like Erza and Natsu thinking Gajeel was an impostor), even some of the moments that I don't think were meant to be intentionally comedic (like Natsu one-punching Clown Kid before even starting a fight) got a hearty laugh from me

• While most comedic moments were good, some felt unnecessary and even undercut the mood of a few scenes. The Torture Man scene was probably the apex of this tbh. Lucy's about to have her foot licked off at one point (seriously wtf was that Mashima and why do you know about that kind of torture) but then every few seconds some dumb joke happens like with Torture Man being a Zeref cosplayer, or having 90's anime eyes, or him having the incorrect character tattoo on his forehead. I got mood whiplash a few times because of it.

• The Future Rogue plot point was... a thing, I guess? I'm gonna be real, I forgot this plot point even existed until it was brought up in these episodes, and I feel nothing towards it being resolved. It definitely didn't make me buy that Gray heel turn at any rate.

• Avatar were pretty uninteresting on the whole. I guess Priest Guy was interesting with his strategy of "create walls and shoot through the walls at Natsu" (until Natsu beat him by just pushing through the walls) and sacrificing his own goons was kinda savage. The rest were never real threats though, with one of them (D-6) not actually getting to do anything, and two of them getting peaced out incredibly lame ways (Briar just ended up being the setup to another "Juvia is clingy" joke, and Gerome got bullshited super hard by Erza's "sword can cut without even cutting". Seriously wtf was that, that sounds super OP).

I can kind of understand that they're not the main threat of this season, but at the same time it annoys me we spent like four episodes with an enemy faction that are kinda nothing to the main cast.

• This whole arc in general was pretty ridiculous (though in a good way). Like, Avatar's purification plan literally just being using an army to massacre a town the good old fashioned way, Gray revealing he's actually a good buy by whipping out a magic iPhone and calling Erza, Natsu blowing up a Demon / God that can cut through mountains etc.

• Not much else to say, though Lucy's new powerup was cool (outfit was not as pervy as I was expecting, and the strength power up is legit cool). Juvia and Gray advancing their relationship since he timeskip was cool. Minerva getting redeemed last arc was still kinda BS though it was cool Mashima remembered to have Minerva apologize to Lucy.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
  • Avatar were pretty uninteresting on the whole. I guess Priest Guy was interesting with his strategy of "create walls and shoot through the walls at Natsu" (until Natsu beat him by just pushing through the walls) and sacrificing his own goons was kinda savage. The rest were never real threats though, with one of them (D-6) not actually getting to do anything, and two of them getting peaced out incredibly lame ways (Briar just ended up being the setup to another "Juvia is clingy" joke, and Gerome got bullshited super hard by Erza's "sword can cut without even cutting". Seriously wtf was that, that sounds super OP).

Yeah I think the point here was to say dark guilds are no longer even a challenge to Fairy Tail anymore. They climbed the top of the mountain already, so we need something more impressive than that.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Fairy Tail Ep. 284

The first half of this episode (with the Zeref backstory) was boring, the second half (with the Guild's reunion) was better.

To keep things brief, Zeref's backstory turned out to be disappointingly generic (i.e. "person turns to forbidden methods / magic to save loved one"). Zeref's still got interesting motives and an interesting concept on paper, but sorta like Mavis, the execution is kinda lacking imo. The only things that were remotely interesting were Zeref and Acnologia, and Natsu's apparent origins.

Second half was more interesting to watch. Yeah the whole thing was a bit sappy, but I was fine with it because it's consistent with Lucy's characterization, makes sense with what she's been through in this series and tbh, she never really had an opportunity to doubt her intentions (as Natsu basically dragged her into things). Lucy's basically the heart of the Guild / Fairy Tail, so seeing her act like this really does sell the idea that "Fairy Tail is back for real"

If there's anything I take issue with in the second half, it's that we're getting this Makarov flashback only now. Last season, Fairy Tail essentially disbanded offscreen (Natsu left after Tartaros, then we went to Fairy Tail Zero, then timeskip to Fairy Tail being dead for some reason) and it just still bothers me tbh that only know we're getting this scene. I dunno how things were in the manga, but they should have taken some liberties with the placement of that scene imo (i.e. they should have showed that last season before Fairy Tail Zero)... but this is kinda getting off-topic.

The only other things I'd like to mention are: Gildartz continuing to be the worst dead beat dad ever (can't believe Kana took the year off to find him, and didn't actually find him), and the redesigns, or lack thereof, for certain characters was a bit disappointing (seems like most of the male characters barely got changed).

Fairy Tail Ep. 285

Another expository episode.

While the last episode was a bit vague on this season's threat, this episode is all about building up our new villains (the, Alvarez Empire, was it?). Personally? I didn't find it all that interesting. Biggest issue I have is with the worldbuilding (or lackthereof) on display by Mashima. It seems ridiculous that this other country / continent that is such a big threat to Ishgar is seemingly only being brought up for the first time now (roughly 285 episodes in to this show).

I get the need for shonens to up the stakes (Fairy Tail have defeated everyone on their continent, so clearly they need to fight another continent, right?) but it just seems so transparently obvious here that it actively annoyed me tbh. Whatever though, we need fodder to fight, so our enemy for this season is like 700 Guilds from another country or something lol

There's not much else to mention, though it's about bloody time Erza got considered for Guildmaster (even if I personally wanted to see Laxus in that role). Oh yeah I completely forgot about Mest being a member of Fairy Tail now. As COMPLETELY STUPID as that reveal from last season was, the fact that they played up the absurdity of the whole Mest / Doranbolt saga here at least made it entertaining (...it's still the stupidest retcon in FT though).

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Fairy Tail was pretty popular, apparently not in Era
Im pretty behind (like episode 170 or something) but I plan on catching up in time for the final episode. Did the same for Naruto.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Fairy Tail Ep. 286

This was a pretty enjoyable episode. We get introduced to the remaining Gods of Ishgar (and how they stack up against the Empire), we get to watch Team Fairy Tail completely fail their infiltration mission after only an episode and we seem to be up to our first fight of this arc already. There's not a lot to say tbh, it was a very plot heavy episode and, while I legitimately enjoy watching these types of episodes, they're kinda hard to analyze / write about without making them sound like episode recaps.

I guess the only qualm I had was how much "oh this guy's power / magic levels are so ultimate" was thrown around in this episode. Oh and Doranbolt staring down Wendy was kinda gross. Other than that though, it was fun to watch; the worldbuilding was great (I liked seeing the other Gods, and learning that Ishgar's cities are all named after plants), Erza actually being serious about the star mango thing (when it seemed liked it was just a cover) was hilarious and even Fairy Tail's B Team got some screentime (I really love the Guild's extended cast over Natsu and co.)

Fairy Tail Ep. 287

This was also entertaining but for different, subversive reasons. The twist at the end was pretty wild, but I also liked how the "encounter" at the start of the episode ended too. Brandish wiping out her own colleague to even things out, and also actually displaying her magic powers (instead of just having characters go "wow so strong") were strong moments. And as a result, it's more believable when it's later mentioned that the Spriggan 12 are all kinda loose cannons united because of Spriggan.

On the major twist with the Emperor, I'll admit it felt like BS for a few minutes there... but they did the right thing by immediately explaining things afterwards, and the explanation that was given was satisfying enough for me so I'm all good. It adds a far more interesting layer to this conflict than "Fairy Tail is fighting another continent now for reasons" and it definitely makes it feel like we're reaching the series' endgame.

The only moment of the episode that really felt stupid was *that* moment after the reveal (it's obvious what it is). Now that was an asspull that was super, super stupid. Aside from that though, it was a pretty solid episode and I'm actually interested in seeing what happens next (something that I haven't felt with Fairy Tail for a really long time tbh)

Brandish and Ajeel, particularly (wow, that official name is way too close to Gajeel)

I just noticed this. Don't know if you're watching the dub, but there's now Gajeel, Yajeel (that High Minister / diplomat guy) AND Ajeel (one of the Spriggan 12) which is kinda crazy

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
With episode 291, we have a new OP. It's a mix of standard visuals with some surprisingly nice looking ones. Given the visuals, I wonder if we're seeing what the completely redone version of that fight will look like. Because there's zero chance the manga version could appear in the anime as is.

As for the episode, I thought it was pretty enjoyable. Still no major deviations from the manga, but we're still in the part of this arc I liked.

The ending feels way too... Christmasy. Still, glad we're back to the chibi endings.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Fairy Tail Ep. 288

Eh this was pretty boring lol. Despite all the build up they've been doing for the Spriggan 12, I thought they did a piss poor job of making Ajeel seem like a threat. Compared to the last Spriggan character introduced whose powers were shown off, they basically had to talk up how big a deal Ajeel's attacks were with the quicksand and wave (didn't help that the attacks look low budget as hell). Dude was also used to make Natsu and Laxus look good too so yeah, not a good look.

As for the rest of the episode: the escape from Alvarez felt way too easy; them pulling the "oh no Makarov is gonna die again" card two episodes in a row was eye-roll worthy; and the rest of the episode just felt like the show turning the wheels with all the random convos in the Guild, the quick recap and the obvious setup for the next episode.

The only good moments were Makarov feeling remorseful and straight up realizing "man that was a really stupid plan I came up with" and also the return of magic cars. (Remember when magic cars were a thing in Fairy Tail? I think the last time those things mattered was all the way back in that early arc with Reaper Guy and Not Shikamaru)

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Fairy Tail Ep. 289

This was surprisingly good? I'm not gonna lie, I was severely disappointed by Fairy Tail Zero and I was ready to hate this flashback because of that but what was revealed here turned out to be legitimately compelling. The only thing I really hated about this was the fact that this whole sequence was *only* a flashback for the main series; to me, this is what I was expecting from Fairy Tail Zero and I'm disappointed that they didn't explore this part of Mavis' life in that series. Regardless, I thought this episode was pretty decent (though I can't help but feel that the Mavis / Zeref storyline with its existentialism and dread feels a bit too serious and somber for a series like Fairy Tail).

Also I have to give props to Mavis' English VA; she absolutely sold me on that feeling of despair. (...I still absolutely hate Mashima pulling the "100 year old dragon" bullshit for Mavis though, even though it's been "properly" explained now)

Fairy Tail Ep. 290

This was also a surprisingly good episode. A lot of questions I had from the previous episode were quickly answered here, and other plot points (like Ivan Dreyar / Raven Tail, and Fairy Heart in relation to the Tartaros Arc) were addressed too. I also really, really liked how the episode was set up, with Mavis and Zeref both having their war room sessions at the same time. They seem to be setting up rivalries for our four main characters (like Ajeel vs. Natsu, Invel vs. Gray, not sure about the two females, though I'd guess Brandish/Giantess fetish lady will probably be Lucy's rival and Erza will get Dimaria) which is a much better approach than "oh this new guy is sooo strong" from the last few episodes.

They also addressed God Serena who btw looks like an absolute dork and I just love it. I'd say my favorite Spriggan characters / designs so far are Serena, Dimaria and August. The other characters not shown in this episode (that are more visible in the new OP after this) also look really damn cool. Brandish isn't as cool now that I learned that she didn't wipe that guy out (and that she might have been given this power by Mashima for fetish reasons more than anything).

But yeah, this was a good episode, even though it looked really cheap at points.

New Intro (Ep. 291 Onwards)

I was expecting to hate this because it's not rock (as it should be) but damn is this new OP slick. It also seems to spoiling a lot from this arc, though that's how you know it's a Fairy Tail opening (cuz its ugly to look at and spoils absolutely everything, but still has a catchy tune). I find it amusing that you can *feel* the budget just increasing the longer the OP goes on.

Last edited: