• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's true. I have all my luggage ready to go and the U-Haul truck reserved.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure they are big enough for multiplatform development.
I think it's more their development environment than the size preventing multiplatform development. they tend to aim low from the start (vita), making upper end systems easier to support. if they had an engine that supported Switch and PS4 from the start, I think we'd see multiplat games from them

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
They still say the port is more due to the Switch's popularity in the west. Given that the PS5(maybe even Xbox) will probably blow up the Switch's spot in the west I'd be surprised they don't ditch it and move to the PS5.
Since when has that ever happened. Expensive new consoles rarely ever kill off cheaper popular consoles especially in the US .

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
They still say the port is more due to the Switch's popularity in the west. Given that the PS5(maybe even Xbox) will probably blow up the Switch's spot in the west I'd be surprised they don't ditch it and move to the PS5.

There is no reason for them to move to PS5 only .
There games don't use much system power and PS5 has BC .
Even if they don't move to PS5 there fans will still get to play the games if they upgrade to PS5.

Feb 5, 2018
I definitely dont mind the jump to the switch, just dont forget about CS4 specifically for PS4 (would like the saga on 1 system for now).

Now, porting Trails in the Sky Trilogy and possibly even developing Crossbell Duology ports to Switch, OH MY GOD.

Actual future games in the franchise, im not sure.

All of the Ys games? Fuck yes.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
I've never played a Falcom developed game before today, but you bet your ass I went for the Switch version of Ys VIII.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
xseed should bring their ys catalog to switch, i'd love to replay oath in felghana and play some of the ones i've missed.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more their development environment than the size preventing multiplatform development. they tend to aim low from the start (vita), making upper end systems easier to support. if they had an engine that supported Switch and PS4 from the start, I think we'd see multiplat games from them
Are they still using Sony's PhyreEngine?

In an ideal world they would go multiplat to give people options and spread their fanbase but i'm not sure they have the resources to do it, even with the right engine it still takes people, time and money for it. Maybe with Nisa involved at least YsVIII might get a Switch port again. It seems unlikely for the Trails games though at this point I imagine.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I'm not a fan of the Ya 8 Switch port, but if they can optimize games with the hardware in mind I'm ok with more Switch games from them.

I like my 60FPS Ys :(

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Since when has that ever happened. Expensive new consoles rarely ever kill off cheaper popular consoles especially in the US .
I didn't say it would kill it, but the PS5 will more than likely sell enough that they wouldn't need anything on the side.

There is no reason for them to move to PS5 only .
There games don't use much system power and PS5 has BC .
Even if they don't move to PS5 there fans will still get to play the games .

You say that as if they didn't already ditch a weaker platform (Vita) to be exclusive to a more powerful one.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's almost as if the PS4/XBO are at the end of their life.

There hasn't been any proof looking Westward that the Switch has negatively affected the PS4 or Xbox One. I don't even really think it's true in Japan either where the Switch and PS4 share many more games. Sales have largely been additive not shifted. So . . . I dont think the launch of next gen does anything to the Switch nor does the launch of Switch 2 do anything to next gen.

Said it before: Home console gaming's got their days counted. The current lifestyle is too volatile for gaming to be only available at home.

Lmao no. Where do these takes come from.

Switch has the JRPGs demographic on lock.

Eh, it mostly shares it with the PS4. Its a nice relationship too.

True but that has nothing to do with what this thread is about right? I think it's pretty obvious that Falcon should eventually release for both but isn't the point of this thread to say that Western fans are moving to switch? In which case, isn't it a valid response to say some of that has to do with PS4 being on its last legs and Switch being in it's prime?

It may be more a reference to the audience for AA Japanese games is moving to the Switch in the West. Which may be accurate to an extent but that mostly just means they should release more Switch games. I dont anticipate the launchbof PS5 and Xbox Next suddenly making people rush back into buying AA Japanese games that look like high res PS3 titles.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they still using Sony's PhyreEngine?

In an ideal world they would go multiplat to give people options and spread their fanbase but i'm not sure they have the resources to do it, even with the right engine it still takes people, time and money for it. Maybe with Nisa involved at least YsVIII might get a Switch port again. It seems unlikely for the Trails games though at this point I imagine.
I think they're on their own engine now. while a agnostic engine doesn't guarantee multiplats, it does lower the barriers considerably. partners wouldn't have to jump through so many hoops to get games running on other systems. stuff like this game or Ys8 could have hit PS4/PC/Switch all at the same time with a capable partner

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
You say that as if they didn't already ditch a weaker platform (Vita) to be exclusive to a more powerful one.

That is because Vita was dying in Japan and had horrible sales in the west also .
Also they had to move on because there was no way for there fans to play there games once they move to PS4.
It not the same with PS5 since it got BC.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I think the thread title is a bit misleading because Falcom only mentioned the US which is a part of the west.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Honestly, I see this. Most of my friends now play Switch only and due to the Switch I won't be purchasing a PS5 until the slim model. There's so much quality stuff to play on the Switch that appeals to me that I don't even need to think about spending money on another platform right now

logash

Oct 27, 2017
There hasn't been any proof looking Westward that the Switch has negatively affected the PS4 or Xbox One. I don't even really think it's true in Japan either where the Switch and PS4 share many more games. Sales have largely been additive not shifted. So . . . I dont think the launch of next gen does anything to the Switch nor does the launch of Switch 2 do anything to next gen.

Lmao no. Where do these takes come from.

Eh, it mostly shares it with the PS4. Its a nice relationship too.

It may be more a reference to the audience for AA Japanese games is moving to the Switch in the West. Which may be accurate to an extent but that mostly just means they should release more Switch games. I dont anticipate the launchbof PS5 and Xbox Next suddenly making people rush back into buying AA Japanese games that look like high res PS3 titles.
Yeah me neither. I just don't like how some pretend like there isn't a bigger picture. Like yeah, the switch is absolutely an appealing product for JRPG fans (myself included since I've owned one since launch) but there is more to it than that. JRPGs will continue to sell well on home consoles too.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad Switch is facilitating the return of the mid tier game in a big way. Even 'indie' budgets are pretty decent now. That market has moved to Switch. PS5 will be first and foremost a triple A box.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I see this. Most of my friends now play Switch only and due to the Switch I won't be purchasing a PS5 until the slim model. There's so much quality stuff to play on the Switch that appeals to me that I don't even need to think about spending money on another platform right now
Most of my friends play nothing but Playstation....

I'm not knocking the Switch, i'm going to buy one in March and borrowed one for a while having a good time with it but your personal anecdote means nothing XD

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
That is because Vita was dying in Japan and had horrible sales in the west also .
Also they had to move on because there was no way for there fans to play there games once they move to PS4.
It not the same with PS5 since it got BC.

The Switch has been selling well for awhile, yet Falcom themselves still haven't ported anything to it; it took NISA for that to happen, and for only one game in a long running series. Also I can't personally think of to many cases where a dev just kept releasing games for an older console purely for BC.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Might be a hot take, but I can see Falcom moving to Switch as they won't be able to continue offering PS3-looking games on the PS5 and the Switch will be the perfect platform for that after the PS4 is done.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
If it was really said during Falcom Financial results it's werid that we are hearing this now as that was a few months ago. Seems like reactionary article to the CSIII annoucment which is all NIS and not Falcom.

Seems iffy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
If it was really said during Falcom Financial results it's werid that we are hearing this now as that was a few months ago. Seems like reactionary article to the CSIII annoucment which is all NIS and not Falcom.

Seems iffy.
The article was posted yesterday, so it can't have been in response to that announcement.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might be a hot take, but I can see Falcom moving to Switch as they won't be able to continue offering PS3-looking games on the PS5 and the Switch will be the perfect platform for that after the PS4 is done.
they have no problem pushing vita/ps3 graphics on ps4, they'll do the same on ps5.

Did Ys 8 do better on Switch than PS4?

What's this "global performance for Ys 8" about?
in the west, yes.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the visually impressive graphical showcases, I prefer playing JRPGs on the Switch. Really don't know why.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't start a JRPG on a strictly home console anymore. I would never be able to get any progress done.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Honestly after the PS5 is out mid-tier Japanese Devs need to get the Switch consumer base to warm up to em, ASAP. Capcom, Squeenix, and KOEI are the only ones along with Namco that can catch up with current tech and its gonna take Nintendo about a decade to get there if they continue with the switch.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
How so? I'm part of that demographic and I see no reason why I should get a Switch when I already have a PS4.

Most JRPGs aren't very demanding and run very well on the machine.

Switch sells very well in Japan, the homebase of JRPGs.

Switch is the only machine serving the handheld JRPG's crowd.

They also support their JRPG franchises, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Pokemon(?).

But sure, for more demanding games like Final Fantasy, you need to have a PS4. And you don't really have to play every game available.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
I think what Falcom is trying to say is that the mid tier AA JRPG base moved to Switch in the west, which they are a part of. Looking at sales of Vesperia or their own Ys confirms such a notion.