• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
xDv8TXv.jpg

https://www.falcom.co.jp/2019/

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I wonder what this is.

It looks a lot more 'dark' than their recent projects.

I know Kondo said he wanted to go back to darker themes and projects in the vein of Xanadu Next. Is this it?

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Last time they teased something, we got Tokyo Xanadu.
I'll try to be optimistic, but it's hard.

Oct 25, 2017
That artwork is super gorgeous, interested to see if it ends up being a new IP or merely another saga in some of their more long-running series!

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Am I the only one that saw Nox and thought of the classic Westwood studios rpg Nox?

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I recently played and really enjoyed Ys 8, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what this is. This teaser art isn't exactly the most exciting, but who really knows with this sort of thing. I'll wait for the full reveal before thinking too hard about it.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What are the odds of this game not relying on generic anime tropes?

Better don't put too much hope.
Falcom has always followed general anime trend.
It's fine to do that 10 years ago, but with the current popular anime, I can't bring myself to get excited for Falcom's announcement.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering this is falcom, 0 chance of Switch port and of course. It will be interesting what anime trope they will take these time lol. High school setting already done. So now Isekai i guess? Lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that saw Nox and thought of the classic Westwood studios rpg Nox?
Actually, the falcom game Xanadu Next was clearly heavily inspired by Nox. Isometric RPG similar in style in a lot of ways, with Metroid-like progression instead.

Wow, I just realized, what if Falcom is developing a new fucking Nox? Kind of like how Falcom developed Rinne, a successor to the Bothtec RPG series Relics.

westwood is dead as hell, but Bothtec went under and Falcom developed Rinne for Bothtec after they stopped making games, so maybe my stupid long shot could actually be possible?

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm gonna keep my expectations in check and plan on it finally being the direct sequel to Legacy of the Wizard that I've always wanted.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
I'm in if it's not:
- an anime game
- Benny Hill combat simulator
- talking simulator

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, the falcom game Xanadu Next was clearly heavily inspired by Nox. Isometric RPG similar in style in a lot of ways, with Metroid-like progression instead.

Wow, I just realized, what if Falcom is developing a new fucking Nox? Kind of like how Falcom developed Rinne, a successor to the Bothtec RPG series Relics.

westwood is dead as hell, but Bothtec went under and Falcom developed Rinne for Bothtec after they stopped making games, so maybe my stupid long shot could actually be possible?
Pro: New Nox

Con: It's just another Cold Steel reskin

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Unexpected image. Not really sure what to think about it - other than that I like the style it's presenting more than anything else they've gone for lately.

Probably the Tokyo Xanadu team anyway, which will likely mean a pretty poor story paired with enjoyable Falcom combat.

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's the bottom of the image. You can see it as soon as the site loads, before the camera pans upwards, and the image of the girl appears.

Looks like alchemical machinery.

As un-Ys-like as it looks, I still think it's more likely to be the new Ys than anything else. Falcom haven't released more than one new game in a single year since 2012 when both Nayuta and Celceta came out.

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Another thought: the mentions of a dream, the truth, a prison, and a cradle can tie into Ys VIII's ending.

Oct 25, 2017

Anyone else seeing this ...in case added to the end? Are they updating the site with new words?

Edit: mystery solved. It's Google Translate's built in Chrome plugin causing this.

Last edited:

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely intrigued. It doesn't look like anything Ys related. I'm in for a new IP.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I'm in if it's not:
- an anime game
- Benny Hill combat simulator
- talking simulator
Best to leave now, and never come back. Falcom has always followed anime trends throughout their time and incorporated them in game development, and it won't end anything soon. Heck, they specifically hire otaku of their games, as they feel they are the most passionate and hard working.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
Best to leave now, and never come back. Falcom has always followed anime trends throughout their time and incorporated them in game development, and it won't end anything soon. Heck, they specifically hire otaku of their games, as they feel they are the most passionate and hard working.

Well, shit.. Thanks for the info.

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Another another thought.
The girl in the teaser has some similarities to Maia's depiction in Ys VIII. Both are cradling an orb. Maia herself is covered with plants, and there are plants growing out of the teaser girl's orb.