• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
How are there so many people defending this company!? The "In" thing to do is hate Bethesda? LOL! Yeah not like anything is wrong with this whole situation. Fallout 76 aside, they are getting shit on because they FALSELY ADVERTISED a 200$ collectors edition. If you like the game, whatever but saying people are hating on Bethesda because it's cool is dumb. There is an actual reason and for some people who didn't like the game, there are multiple actual reasons to hate on Bethesda right now. Go buy a hat for 5$ in game and continue to fund this great company's ventures like fallout 76.

Sorry if I offended you, not my intent. Also not my intent to defend any company. I happen to like the game quite a bit, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I would never take up arms for any company though.

I'm certainly not suggesting that no one has a reason to be upset, not at all. It sucks that the bag was crap. However anything Bethesda right now is really amplified similar to last years battlefront 2 situation. It is indeed the 'in' thing to talk trash about them. I'm not saying anyone is wrong about it either, to each their own, but this is really a perfect storm situation. I think you may have assumed that I was therefore assigning blame to unhappy customers, but that's not the case at all.

Jon_Danger

Nov 8, 2017
I'm loving the game itself though - it's so good (apparently I'm an outlier in this).

I think the game isn't maybe as bad as the bandwagon is suggesting, and it certainly doesn't feel like the game that Bethesda was marketing, and is way too buggy for a retail release (Even for Bethesda) but I have enjoyed playing with friends online.

But fuck if this collector's edition stuff is a cherry on top of the cake. What an idiotic move to pull this on your most loyal customers.

I mean, the Amazon listing literally says "West tek canvas bag"

It is a straight up lie.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Esn6dXv.gif

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
To anyone saying it's "in" to hate Bethesda right now:

Good. It should be "in" to hate bullshit. That should always be "in". It should never go out of style. Stop accepting this kind of thing. Corporations wanna turn you upside down and shake out your pocket change. Stop lapping up cheap plastic crap - and the cheap software equivalent - just because you've built an emotional attachment to a consumer product.

Oct 25, 2017
They should never do this again. They clearly can't handle it. Just give people a regular Fallout game. Or at the very least make it 2-3 player co-op.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Are you playing with friends? Almost any old crap can be fun with friends. The game is at least technically the worst thing Bethesda have put out in almost 20 years

No, none of my friends picked it up due to the reviews and such. I've been 100% solo, with a few instances of pick up group play with some random players.

I don't know what to say, the game is just a blast to play for me. I can't say I agree that it's the worst thing they released in the past 20 years, but that's just my own opinion.

It has disrupted the other games I was heavily playing prior to it's release (RDR2, ACO, Spiderman). I can appreciate many people don't like this game, but what can I say, I like what I like I suppose.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
No, none of my friends picked it up due to the reviews and such. I've been 100% solo, with a few instances of pick up group play with some random players.

I don't know what to say, the game is just a blast to play for me. I can't say I agree that it's the worst thing they released in the past 20 years, but that's just my own opinion.

It has disrupted the other games I was heavily playing prior to it's release (RDR2, ACO, Spiderman). I can appreciate many people don't like this game, but what can I say, I like what I like I suppose.
It's fine to like what you like. As somebody that really only likes open world rpgs, mainly Bethesda's, believe me, I get it. But you came in dismissing very heavy criticism of the game, saying it must not be real, it's just Bethesda hate. Bethesda games usually rate pretty highly, despite their flaws. Sure internet people bitch about the company, but, the critics and the people enjoy and buy the games. That's not what's happening with this game.

Also their whole response to this bag blunder and their response to it, makes it pretty clear they don't value their paying customers which should be an issue you care about as a paying customer of theirs.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
This has to be grounds for a class action, they could have this going on and then if the other one gets off the ground they could have 2 at once. Add to that the stunning loss of consumer goodwill and the negative press, this game is up there as one of the worst debacles ever in the gaming arena.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
They are waiting for the community to make and release a canvas bag.. the same way they expect them to fix their games...

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone saying you can't buy anything with 500 Atoms is being dishonest. https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9tug3n/full_atom_shop_item_list_and_pricing/

You also get Atoms as you play.

But feel free to quote the above link and move the goalposts to argue about how some items are overpriced, I guess.

Not trying to distract or apologize for BGS here but it's painfully obvious how some posters are feeding into the misinformation here.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine to like what you like. As somebody that really only likes open world rpgs, mainly Bethesda's, believe me, I get it. But you came in dismissing very heavy criticism of the game, saying it must not be real, it's just Bethesda hate. Bethesda games usually rate pretty highly, despite their flaws. Sure internet people bitch about the company, but, the critics and the people enjoy and buy the games. That's not what's happening with this game.

Also their whole response to this bag blunder and their response to it, makes it pretty clear they don't value their paying customers which should be an issue you care about as a paying customer of theirs.

What? Where did I do that? I never said it was not real.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone saying you can't buy anything with 500 Atoms is being dishonest. https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9tug3n/full_atom_shop_item_list_and_pricing/

But feel free to quote the above link and move the goalposts to argue about how some items are overpriced, I guess.

It's a $200 special edition. The very least they could have done was throw the buyers a 2nd highest tier value atom amount of 2000. Get a few of their overpriced items.

o9gmUK1.png

They went with the lowest. 500 Atoms is like what you hand out to everyone as a "sorry" because your game is a broken mess and servers keep going down at launch.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

Not trying to distract or apologize for BGS here but it's painfully obvious how some posters are feeding into the misinformation here.
I don't think it's an act of moving goal posts to say that the equivalent of five dollars is not fair compensation, regardless of the items it purchases. Seeing the list still makes me feel that amount is quite small.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a $200 special edition. The very least they could have done was throw the buyers a 2nd highest tier value atom amount of 2000. Get a few of their overpriced items.

o9gmUK1.png

They went with the lowest. 500 Atoms is like what you hand out to everyone as a "sorry" because your game is a broken mess and servers keep going down at launch.
People who bought the CE are free to keep pushing for more free Atoms from BGS for all I care. You can still buy stuff with the 500(+whatever you earn from simply playing the game) they are giving as an apology, however.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ah yes. We are the dishonest ones. FOH

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
What's amusing is the free swag they gave away to streamers at the Greenbrier Fallout 76 event is nicer than the content of the collectors edition. Look at the quality of that backpack! Canvas and LEATHER straps.

Saw this over on youtube:

This needs to be quoted more. I couldn't care less for Fallout, but this is insane. They always bribe the fucking streamers (or whatever it is) and give the shaft to their fans who pay hundred of dollars for their games. This shit needs to stop. Stop making BETTER merchs for reviewers, people who talk bs on Youtube and other random people. Make sure that they're available to your fans.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People who bought the CE are free to keep pushing for more Atoms for all I care. You can still buy stuff with the 500(+whatever you earn from simply playing the game) they are giving as an apology, however.

Very few people if any are saying you can't buy anything. People are asking what and most of the replies are sarcastic because you can't actually buy all that much (plus the canvas bag in-game is tied to a 700 atom postman outfit, which just adds to the hilarity).

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
What? Where did I do that? I never said it was not real.
Ok maybe that was a bit harsh but
I think this is only getting so much attention, or more so than normal because it's the 'in' thing to hate anything Bethesda right now.

Seems to dismiss the very wide criticism as an exaggeration done by people that love to hate Bethesda. As I pointed out, what's happening with this game, is not like what has happened before, there is no comparison. Even Skyrim as broken as it was on the PS3, still didn't face this kind of backlash and reviewer criticism and the sales were crazy strong.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

this is all literal fucking garbage

enjoy your free black overalls, people who spent $200 on a game they thought they would like

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017

TBH it doesn't matter what you can buy, the point is that;

1) it's an incredibly low value vs what we've been 'short changed'
2) it costs them literally nothing to do this (so it's not like a $5 refund)
3) they aren't actually giving you anything, just opening you to their rip-off micro transactions
4) as you point out, you can earn them ingame anyway which devalues their offer even further

I mean, even if you could buy a canvas bag ingame, whoop-ti-do! "sorry we couldn't provide the real item we advertised, here have a virtual version" lol

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

I think you're knowingly being a bit disingenuous here. When people are saying "you can't buy anything for 500 atoms" they're not saying that there's absolutely nothing priced at 500 atoms or lower, they're saying that there's nothing worth buying at 500 atoms or lower.

Like, yes, you could buy a door and some stickers, but who the fuck really wants a door and some stickers? If:

1. This is your consolation for some of your most fanatical customers, and
  2. It doesn't actually cost you anything
Maybe throw at least the price of a proper outfit their way. Sure, you may lose ten more dollars of hypothetical money, but getting a ton of crappy PR is probably worse in the long run.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017

You miss the point. What they want is a canvas bag, not some shitty digital cosmetic. 500 atoms is worthless, and 5000 atoms is also worthless.
Real canvas bag is what was promissed.
If I had payed 200€ for this scam I would probably ask for a full refund. You can then buy the game for 20€ on cdkeys if you still want to torture yourself with this bug fest.

Oct 27, 2017

True, it just seems really shallow that they wouldn't even offer a $10 or $20 tier to make up for it. I'm sure those Collector's Editions are not flying off the shelves at this rate so giving a little something even more extra to those that did buy it and are disappointed would have been a nice look.

Really the issue here is that they had blatant false advertising to begin with, so if someone was expecting that bag and didn't get it, no amount of in-game currency really compensate for that.

foxdvd

Oct 30, 2017

It cost them nothing to give atoms to someone, so giving them 100 dollars worth of atoms might have been enough of an impact to calm some down. The problem I would have if this had happened to me is I have no need for atoms, but I might like a nice bag. If I spent 200 bucks on something, and did not get it, giving me something else, even if it has value, is not going to make me happy. If I go to McDonalds and order 20 nuggets, and they only give me 5...and I ask them to fix it, I am not going to be happy if to make up for it they offer me free fries. I want my money back, or my nuggies.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
That store is just fucking disgusting. I haven't loved watching something just burned and toasted by the community in a looooong time. Bethesda deserves all this vitriol and then some.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm caught up and read through the post post-500 atom update for entertainment and hardly anyone said you can't get anything for 500. Most people were asking how much value that is and reply's of being able to get doors and hats but not enough for in game canvas bag and armor color.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It cost them nothing to give atoms to someone, so giving them 100 dollars worth of atoms might have been enough of an impact to calm some down. The problem I would have if this had happened to me is I have no need for atoms, but I might like a nice bag. If I spent 200 bucks on something, and did not get it, giving me something else, even if it has value, is not going to make me happy. If I go to McDonalds and order 20 nuggets, and they only give me 5...and I ask them to fix it, I am not going to be happy if to make up for it they offer me free fries. I want my money back, or my nuggies.

True, but PR/CS 101. Don't take the piss around an "easy win".

Even although the game is a trainwreck, some of this fire would have got put out if the perception was people were getting $20 worth of atoms their way. It's not a $20 refund. It's sending some 1's and 0's to an account that sends you proof of purchase. Costs nothing. That person has already given you $200. Does Bethesda really think many of their $200 SE spenders are rushing onto the atom store to charge their/their parents CCs right now?

Instead, Bethesda even misjudged this and just threw more gasoline on the fire being a bunch of cheapskates.

The amount of decisions being made in this company right now that are soo out of touch with what is required. How do you fuck up this bad, then do triple/quadruple downs on it?

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
Can you give an example of which collector edition is as falsely advertised as this one? We're not talking about the quality of items not being as good as promised here. This is the case of them saying, in fine print, to ship one thing but in stead ship the other. This is not just " hey it's just a goddamn bag!" issue but the principle of this is unacceptable.
I consider the issue with the Marvel vs Capcom or that Geralt bust that showed up earlier a bigger issue.

I guess it is a confusion on the quality of the item. The helmet seems to be good quality and the bag is an extra. I know personally I would enjoy a good bag over the helmet but I just wanted to ask if anyone knew a out another example. That was tbe point if my post: Was legal action been taken like this before?

The helmet seems to be of decent quality I suppose, that's something. In terms of it at least being what is pictured and not something that's micro sized like a lot of these end up being.

The difference here is that when you deliberately advertise something one way and switch it to another material without informing buyers, that's grounds for a lawsuit. If a collectors edition said it was coming with a wooden box for example, and then they change the box to cardboard because it saved on costs amd never informed buyers of the change, then that's false advertising.

I'm not sure I've seen a collector's edition do something this egregious before, even ones that have come out being pretty cheap, flimsy and crappy compared to what was expected at least delivered what they said. When you demonstrate a statue in concept renders as most of the CE's do, and the actual product batch that comes out just looks wonky, it's not that you're not delivering on what was promised per se, it's just that it looks like garbage.

There's only 3 collector's edition pieces which I thought were good and as pictured- the Bioshock Infinite Songbird statue, The Hitman 2016 statue (which is easily the best I've seen and it's really awesome) and the Uncharted 4 one.
I would consider the Marvel vs Capcom egg thing a it worse since the main item was bad as well as that Geralt bust but you are right. It is more shady but less of a promose breaker than Bethesda here.

Can you stop? It's really pathetic that people still defend this mess.
Bethesda really does get an unlimited free pass from some people
Not sure what this is all about. I asked a simple question.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True, it just seems really shallow that they wouldn't even offer a $10 or $20 tier to make up for it. I'm sure those Collector's Editions are not flying off the shelves at this rate so giving a little something even more extra to those that did buy it and are disappointed would have been a nice look.

Really the issue here is that they had blatant false advertising to begin with, so if someone was expecting that bag and didn't get it, no amount of in-game currency really compensate for that.
I agree with all of this. I mentioned aftet the post you quoted that people who bought the CE can push for more from BGS.

To your point about false advertising, BGS should definitely be updating the CE product descriptions across all of storefronts to prevent further misleading potential customers. That's all they can really do on that front because I can bet they're not going to spinup a new production process to issue replacement bags.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I consider the issue with the Marvel vs Capcom or that Geralt bust that showed up earlier a bigger issue.

I guess it is a confusion on the quality of the item. The helmet seems to be good quality and the bag is an extra. I know personally I would enjoy a good bag over the helmet but I just wanted to ask if anyone knew a out another example. That was tbe point if my post: Was legal action been taken like this before?

I would consider the Marvel vs Capcom egg thing a it worse since the main item was bad as well as that Geralt bust but you are right. It is more shady but less of a promose breaker than Bethesda here.

Not sure what this is all about. I asked a simple question.

That Witcher statue head was a joke, so probably best to stop using it as an example. If you mean the derpy looking one 4chan cooked up - https://external-preview.redd.it/bD...bp&s=9029ad77ec1fe6984f87724879831f42ab95776a

If its the bad paint jobs/minor damage from TW2, well, CDPR actually dealt with that - https://en.cdprojektred.com/news/reminder-replacement-of-damaged-sculptures/

Today is the last day to claim your replacements! If your Collector's Edition of The Witcher 2 arrived with a damaged sculpture of Geralt, make sure to report it to us at [email protected]. Please attach pictures of the damaged bust, proof of purchase and your shipping address, so we can send you a new one. Oh yes, every package should arrive with a small gift to make up for this inconvenience.

Sending out new copies of what you thought you ordered. Meanwhile, at Bethesda, take your 500 atoms and fuck off.

Last edited:

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Ok maybe that was a bit harsh but

Seems to dismiss the very wide criticism as an exaggeration done by people that love to hate Bethesda. As I pointed out, what's happening with this game, is not like what has happened before, there is no comparison. Even Skyrim as broken as it was on the PS3, still didn't face this kind of backlash and reviewer criticism and the sales were crazy strong.

In the context of the full post I don't think I gave that impression:

Yeah the bag is pretty shitty. Not terribly surprising for this kind of thing sadly. I remember getting the Dragon Age Inquisition collectors box and man oh man that thing was just a piece of shit. That one is probably my biggest regret in my history of collectors editions.

However, the helmet in this fallout 76 set is good which was the main reason I wanted it. Plus the steelbook (although it's very lame that the steelbook was only in this and not the regular tricentennial version).

I'm loving the game itself though - it's so good (apparently I'm an outlier in this). I think this is only getting so much attention, or more so than normal because it's the 'in' thing to hate anything Bethesda right now.

However, clearly I must have given that impression as a couple people have reacted negatively to it thus far, so I apologize if it seemed I was trivializing others concerns. To be clear, I don't think anyone is wrong for feeling upset. I do agree that the bag is really shitty (and yes, their customer service response was equally shitty). My point was that this is getting a lot more attention than it would have otherwise as it is the 'in' thing right now to beat on Bethesda. Whether or not one feels they deserve this is up to them. This is very similar to last years Battlefront 2 controversy.

Personally I often avoid collectors editions like this due to the low quality that ends up being the reality (my DA:I example above really turned me off). In this case, I took the risk on the Fallout 76 CE since I have been a die hard Fallout fan since Fallout 1 - ended up getting burned by this too, but at least the helmet is cool, and I like the steelbook. If I could go back in time I would have probably stuck with just the Tricentennial edition, but live and learn I guess.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I think the main differences are that CDPR made good on the broken busts and (as far as I know) Capcom never said what the "Infinity Stones" would be made out of; if you were to try to take it to court, all you would have to go on was the picture.

Bethesda explicitly advertised that the bags would be made out of a specific material and they weren't. That's a lot easier to take to court.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017

The food example is a good one. We went to a restaurant and they totally messed up the order, long story short, my son ate most of his (and was given a doggie bag) I had a few bites of my burger and we all had a drink each. We didn't pay a penny, they were really apologetic offering either fresh food for everyone or to walk out - so we chose walking out.

I know the markup in food is a lot higher so it's easier to absorb - but then so is digital goods or even moreso digital marketplace. They could have gifted the top $40 package and that would have cost very little and looked quite generous.

As for the bag, yes - my son had plans for that - helmet is on display and he was going to use the bag...but you can't use the PoS bag supplied, it'll fall apart.

And it's not like Bethesda are newbies at this game, they totally messed up and should do the right thing. They could have chucked in a cheap t-shirt and folk would have been happy.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit 500 atoms! LMAO!! They can't be serious!

People paid $200 for this and they give them $5 worth of currency in compensation!

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
bethesda: "we will sell you our new game and some other goodies, including a canvas bag, for $200."
fans: "sounds cool, here's $200!"
bethesda: "ok, here is your game. by the way, the game sucks."
consumers: "wait a minute, the game sucks, and you gave us a nylon bag instead of a canvas bag. where is our canvas bag?"
bethesda: "if you are unhappy, here is $5 in our in-game currency."

they can literally give away as much in-game currency as they want. why are they being such cheapskates? not only did they LIE to consumers, advertise a canvas bag instead of a nylon bag, they failed to even notify anyone that this switch would being made. and now, only after being called out, they try to appease people with a measly $5 that costs them nothing? way to be proactive, assholes.

on top of that, their game is shit right now. it's like they're trying to eradicate all the goodwill they have built up over the years.

if they really "understand and respect" that people are disappointed with the bag, then deliver a canvas bag. it's so simple.

their PR people continue to spout bullshit.
Unfortunately, due to unavailability of materials, we had to switch to a nylon carrying case in the Fallout 76: Power Armor Edition

it's canvas. there is no shortage of canvas anywhere. just bethesda being cheapskates.

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lets be real, the 500 atoms is just an attempt to get people to accept a form of renumeration so they can't sue (and also try to get people invested in their digital marketplace at the same time), it's not actually meant as an apology