• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Man, it's kind of incredible how arrogant Bethesda has become. They seriously think that because they can port Skyrim to every platform imaginable and fans will show up to buy it again, their shit doesn't stink and they're not accountable to their consumers in the slightest. I'm so glad the press has finally, FINALLY started to take them to task about their glitchy releases with FO76, even if it's way too late for it to make a difference.

Even if this particular response is fake (and I wouldn't be surprised if it is), the company's general attitude and the entire release of FO76 speaks to a company that straight-up knows it's releasing a broken-ass game and doesn't give a shit because they know their fandom is loyal enough to tank the hit.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, it's kind of incredible how arrogant Bethesda has become. They seriously think that because they can port Skyrim to every platform imaginable and fans will show up to buy it again, their shit doesn't stink and they're not accountable to their consumers in the slightest. I'm so glad the press has finally, FINALLY started to take them to task about their glitchy releases with FO76, even if it's way too late for it to make a difference.

Even if this particular response is fake (and I wouldn't be surprised if it is), the company's general attitude and the entire release of FO76 speaks to a company that straight-up knows it's releasing a broken-ass game and doesn't give a shit because they know their fandom is loyal enough to tank the hit.

This is also true. They take the 'Bethestsa = shit performance' memes and make it their PR lol

But people keep buying their shit, no need to change.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
''Guys, we fucked up. As compensation for this major fuckup, you will receive an additional key of Fallout 76 for free. Have fun with that! Hahaha.''

Troublematic

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's the quintessential collectors edition experience right there. Lure you in with promise of cool looking paraphernalia, and once you actually get the product in hand you'll notice it's garbage quality made in China nonsense you'd be ashamed to have on your shelf. I'd actually be interested to hear if there's any videos made on the subject matter comparing quality of different collectors edition items.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
This seems like something they could/should have notified customers about beforehand. If someone was going to cancel their preorder because a bag was going to be nylon instead of canvas, well, that seems like a minor thing, but they should have been given that opportunity.

Publishers have alerted customers to Collectors Edition content changes in the past. It's not exactly unprecedented.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
If you live in the states, contact your AG (or your incoming AG, if you just elected a new one). They love to go after companies for shit like this.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This is meta on so many levels.
The bag represents all Bethesda games.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
screenshot2018-11-28at0fnz.png

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's the quintessential collectors edition experience right there. Lure you in with promise of cool looking paraphernalia, and once you actually get the product in hand you'll notice it's garbage quality made in China nonsense you'd be ashamed to have on your shelf. I'd actually be interested to hear if there's any videos made on the subject matter comparing quality of different collectors edition items.

Literally the only collector's edition "bonus item" I've ever gotten that's stood the test of time is the messenger bag that came with inFamous 2. I don't know how that thing has stayed together as long as it has. The rest have either been so janky or so underwhelming that I finally just stopped getting collector's editions entirely.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I think you have bigger problems if you spent 200$ on this game.
I'm sure this is true. However, for anyone looking at a Fallout 76 package where they've spent US$200, for most of what's there, Bethesda are legally in the clear. For the bag, they aren't. They broke the law and that should be addressed.

okay, I normally don't react sharply to news but this is... I don't want to call it a scam, but it's still extremely dishonest.
I agree that it's important to over-use words like "scam", but the flip side of that it that you should feel okay about using them when they apply, and it applies here. At some point Bethesda made the intentional decision to break a promise they'd made (which they'd been paid to keep). It's a scam.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

One of the only quality CEs I've ever bought was Tomb Raider on the PS3. The figurine they included was a genuine PlayArts I think it is.

Puts Max Payne 3 Homer Simpson Edition to shame.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

There was a thread highlighting the "quality" of collectors editions statues and figures.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Brutally honest applies here.

Also, false advertising. They'll probably attempt to use the loophole that promotional materials are not final. As far as CEs in general, those things are mostly not worth it.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super expensive special editions of games are blatant cash grabs. This has been obvious for years now.

Oct 26, 2017
wait, this is something they can actuallyy get in trouble for, legally I think.

you cant say, and advertise it as a canvas bag, then send a 2$ nylon one.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It of course sucks that the product was lower quality than expected (bag and the game). But that response is also blunt and no bullshit, so I kinda like it.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ZxnKUQf.jpg

I would MS Paint a shitty bag on this Wank Pheasant's arm but I'm not planning on doing anything about it.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It of course sucks that the product was lower quality than expected. But that response is also blunt and no bullshit so I kinda like it.

The response is brilliant, I love it.

But across the whole industry its not the kind of response thats going to met well given the state of the game.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this is true. However, for anyone looking at a Fallout 76 package where they've spent US$200, for most of what's there, Bethesda are legally in the clear. For the bag, they aren't. They broke the law and that should be addressed.

I agree that it's important to over-use words like "scam", but the flip side of that it that you should feel okay about using them when they apply, and it applies here. At some point Bethesda made the intentional decision to break a promise they'd made (which they'd been paid to keep). It's a scam.
There's probably some super tiny bullshit small print "Promotional materials are not final, subject to change"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There's probably some super tiny bullshit small print "Promotional materials are not final, subject to change"

I think the thing is that while you can claim that the LOOK of a promotional item is subject to change, you can't claim people are preordering a canvas bag and then give them a nylon bag. That's literally a different product altogether.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So they are gonna give people their money back, right? Otherwise, what's stopping someone from filing a claim with the FTC for false advertising?

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
okay, I normally don't react sharply to news but this is... I don't want to call it a scam, but it's still extremely dishonest.

For real, what the hell?

And when they go on stage, they love to say that their products, and anything they do, are the best in the industry.
They love to pat themselves on the back a lot, and that's okay if they deliver. This is the opposite of that.
I want to call it a scam. When the picture doesnt match up with the real product and there is no additional information for the customer + its cheaper for the company to include the wrong product... its a scam.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Brutally honest applies here.

Also, false advertising. They'll probably attempt to use the loophole that promotional materials are not final. As far as CEs in general, those things are mostly not worth it.

I just check the product description from amazon's listing.

"Full-Scale Wearable T-51 Power Armor Helmet with West Tek Canvas Carrying Bag: This wearable helmet faithfully replicates the in-game model and comes complete with voice modulator speaker, functioning LED head lamp, and custom V.A.T.S. sound feature.
  • Glow-in-the Dark World Terrain Map: This physical, fully-colorized 21"x 21" glow in the dark vintage map showcases the six distinct regions of West Virginia complete with irradiated landmarks, towns, and wildlife.

• 24 Collectible Fallout Figurines: Crafted from in-game 3D models, these detailed miniatures bring Fallout 76's Vault Dwellers, Power Armored Soldiers, Creatures, and more to life

• Tricentennial Steelbook: Exclusive to the Power Armor Edition, this decorated metal case is the ultimate collectible celebrating America's 300 years of freedom.

• Fallout 76 Tricentennial Edition Bonus In-Game Items: Celebrate 300 years of freedom with the all-new Fallout 76 Tricentennial Edition, commemorating the opening of Vault 76. Be the talk of the town when you emerge from Vault 76 fully prepared and patriotically styled in the new American frontier!"
https://www.amazon.com/Fallout-76-Power-Armor-Xbox-One/dp/B07DNBWR87/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1543422056&sr=8-2&keywords=fallout+76+collectors+edition&th=1

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"We aren't planning to do anything about it"

Hahaha, OMG. This is the game that keeps on giving!

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the thing is that while you can claim that the LOOK of a promotional item is subject to change, you can't claim people are preordering a canvas bag and then give them a nylon bag. That's literally a different product altogether.
I'm not sure about the US, but that wouldn't/won't work in Europe.
Well I'm no lawyer, so I do hope someone makes enough of a stink about their canvas bag so that Bethesda has to payout money back to the poor SOB's who bought this game.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The cost of settling the inevitable class action lawsuit for this will probably cost more than the cost of putting actual canvas bags in there, so they probably should have done the right thing to begin with.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely hilarious. The fuck is their problem?!

Bethesda really shitting up their credibility with 76 lol, is it worth it?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm no lawyer, so I do hope someone makes enough of a stink about their canvas bag so that Bethesda has payout money back to the poor SOB's who bought this game.

I'm with you. I didn't buy the game, and even if I did I DEFINITELY wouldn't have shelled out $200 for a collector's edition for it, but Bethesda really needs to be taken to task in general for this shit. They're acting like a Steam indie developer doing a kickstarted early access release, not the biggest RPG publisher on the fucking planet.