• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
OT is now open please move discussions there.

ldmdYXn.png

B.E.T.A. Times
Pre-Load available. Times are subject to change.
N1u45lh.jpg

Official Site

Developer: Bethesda Game Studios
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
Release Date(Full Game): November 14, 2018
Platforms:

• Microsoft Windows
  • PlayStation 4
  • Xbox One

What is Fallout 76

Really nice long write up on their official site that touches on all the changes and activities in Fallout 76.
What's new In Fallout 76

Vault 76 Handbook:
Be A Team Player
Communication is Key
Dealing With Aggressive Survivors
Appalachia's Most Wanted

When does the B.E.T.A. Start?

The B.E.T.A. begins first on Xbox One on Tuesday, October 23, and on PlayStation 4 and PC on October 30. The B.E.T.A. can only be accessed by players who pre-ordered Fallout 76 from participating retailers.

I pre-ordered fallout 76. How do I access the B.E.T.A.?

PC players who have already created an account and pre-ordered Fallout 76 on Bethesda.net can access the B.E.T.A. once it's live via the Bethesda Launcher. If you haven't already, you can download the Bethesda Launcher for free.

Console players who pre-ordered Fallout 76 digitally on console via the Xbox Store or PlayStation Store will automatically be able to access the B.E.T.A. once it's live on their respective platforms. Please search for "Fallout 76 beta" once it's available on your console's store to download it.

If you pre-ordered Fallout 76 via participating physical or digital retailers, such as Amazon or GameStop, you will receive a code on or with your physical or digital receipt. PC players can simply redeem this code on the Bethesda Launcher to gain access to the B.E.T.A. once it's available. However, if you play on console this code is not your actual B.E.T.A. code. To receive your B.E.T.A. code, please follow these steps:

1. Create a free Bethesda.net account. If you already have an account, proceed to step two.
  2. Log into your account and redeem the code that came with your receipt to entitle your Bethesda.net account to the Fallout 76 B.E.T.A.
  3. Your B.E.T.A. code will be made available on this account page once the B.E.T.A. is live on your respective platform (October 23 for Xbox One, October 30 for PS4)
  4. Redeem your B.E.T.A. code on your console to participate

How long will the B.E.T.A. be available?
During the B.E.T.A. one of our primary goals is to stress test and break the game. As such, the servers will not be running 24/7; instead, they'll be online during targeted timeframes so we can get as many people as possible playing at the same time. Why? Because that's the best way put all our systems to the test and see how they respond.

On any given day the game might be up for anywhere between two to eight hours. (UPDATE: We previously stated the B.E.T.A. would be live in four- to eight-hour increments. We have updated plans to include two-hour sessions to allow the development team to assess shorter, more targeted burst tests.)

What should I expect from the B.E.T.A. experience?

The B.E.T.A. is a work-in-progress version of the game. During the B.E.T.A., you will likely see a glorious array of issues; many we know about, and many we don't.

Our goal, with your help, is to identify and fix any issues that arise in preparation for the November 14 launch.

Do I need a Bethesda.net account to play the B.E.T.A.?

Yes, you will need a Bethesda.net account to play the B.E.T.A. on any platform. Signing up for a free account is quick and easy!

Console players can also sign up for a Bethesda.net account directly in-game.

Is the B.E.T.A. the full game? Will my B.E.T.A. progress carry over to the official launch?

The B.E.T.A. is the full game. Our current plan is for your progress to carry over once Fallout 76 officially launches on November 14. Stay tuned for more information.

What is the download size for the B.E.T.A.? Can I pre-load it?

The B.E.T.A. will be approximately 45GB in size. It is now available for pre-load on Xbox One.

If I participated in the B.E.T.A., do I need to re-download fallout 76 at launch?

Console players will have to download the official launch version of Fallout 76 on November 14, even if you downloaded and played the B.E.T.A. version.

PC players will not have to download a separate version of the game.

Do I earn trophies/achievements during the B.E.T.A.?

Though we plan for your gameplay progress to carry over to the official launch of Fallout 76 on November 14, you will not be able to earn Trophies or Achievements during the B.E.T.A. period.

What are the PC system requirements?

Fallout 76 (minimum):
Requires 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core i5-6600k 3.5 GHz /AMD Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5 GHz or equivalent
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 285 2GB or equivalent
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Storage: 60 GB of free disk space

Fallout 76 (recommended):
Requires 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6 GHz / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5 GHz
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 970 4GB / AMD R9 290X 4GB
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Storage: 60 GB of free disk space

OT will be updated when play sessions get posted by Bethesda.

Last edited:

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
What is the download size for the B.E.T.A.? Can I pre-load it?
The B.E.T.A. will be approximately 45GB in size. It is now available for pre-load on Xbox One.
Yeah, about that, the pre-load acted up on my Xbox One X. I pre-loaded the whole 48 GB thing on my super slow Internet, and then my Xbox was like "cool, now here's a 48 GB update to the stuff you just downloaded". That was not cool. (or maybe it's because of some X enhanced assets?)
Anyway, I'm now good to go, glad I pre-loaded early, and excited to test this stuff tomorrow. Do we know what time it starts exactly?

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, about that, the pre-load acted up on my Xbox One X. I pre-loaded the whole 48 GB thing on my super slow Internet, and then my Xbox was like "cool, now here's a 48 GB update to the stuff you just downloaded". That was not cool. (or maybe it's because of some X enhanced assets?)
Anyway, I'm now good to go, glad I pre-loaded early, and excited to test this stuff tomorrow. Do we know what time it starts exactly?
7 PM eastern. So in a little over 26 hours is the plan.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Gaah that's midnight in Europe, and I have to work early the next day! :(
Wednesday night it is then!

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Will keep an eye on this thread
Hope it gets good impressions, because that's the only way I'm getting this game unless all of my friends get it

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

It's 52 gb now.....

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I played the stress test last weekend and was not impressed at all. I am hoping this Beta gives me more time to really explore the game.

There will be windows for the play test but your progress will at least be saved from test to test and then moved over to the full game when it launches.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So am I not going to be able to preload the beta on PS4 since I'm getting my beta code off of an Amazon preorder? The FAQ makes it sound like only digital PSN preorders will be able to preload.

Last edited:

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Still waiting for my code on PS4. I checked the Bethesda site and the code is still no available. I guess I should wait more until the beta is available on PS4 next week :(

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I got a code for the XB1, but after hearing that between the initial 47GB download and then another 40GB download, think I'm going to hold off and just watch for impressions from others. Not big on using almost 10% of my monthly Comcast data cap unfortunately.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
Just moved to UK, does anyone know if Amazon UK charge you for pre-orders immediately? Or do they give you the code before you pay?

kanan

Jul 16, 2018
hope they fixed a lot of issues with the stress test build, especially the overdone bloom and depth of field effects

Dec 12, 2017
I'll reserve judgement until the reviews hit or I play for myself, but this has the potential to be a huge shitshow for bethesda.

I don't think they done a good enough job of convincing the general public that this is NOT a normal fallout game...I think many fans are expecting something different than they are going to get.

Also...FO4 was ROUGH. If the gunplay feels that loose in a single player RPG, imagine how it's going to feel in a fallout mmo

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
I'll reserve judgement until the reviews hit or I play for myself, but this has the potential to be a huge shitshow for bethesda.

I don't think they done a good enough job of convincing the general public that this is NOT a normal fallout game...I think many fans are expecting something different than they are going to get.

Also...FO4 was ROUGH. If the gunplay feels that loose in a single player RPG, imagine how it's going to feel in a fallout mmo
It plays and feels like a traditional Bethesda title if you take away NPCs and the storylines they carry. You still tackle quests, explore places, craft stuff and battle weird irradiated creatures. The map is also really detailed and filled with lore, terminal, holotopes, notes and the like. I was surprised to how intact Bethesda could translate their formula to an online game. It still is clunky like Fallout 4, but for anyone who thought Fallout 4 combat was okay (like myself), then that stops being a serious issue.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
The handbook I posted in the OT deserves a look we got a lot of new info and confirmations on different things.
Vault 76 Handbook:
Be A Team Player
Communication is Key
Dealing With Aggressive Survivors
Appalachia's Most Wanted

Hunter hunted is like a full mini br game.
Once at least four players have joined the Hunter/Hunted Radio queue, participants will each be assigned another specific Hunter to track and assassinate. You are then free to seek and destroy your prey in a large area, with a one-hour time limit. Don't get too cocky, however, because your own assassin may be hiding around the next bend, and your target may decide fight back.

Over time, the Hunt area's size will decrease, forcing you closer to your current victim and assassin. Upon killing your target, you'll be assigned to the player they were tracking, and so on, until just one Hunter remains. Win or lose, taking down at least one other Hunter will award you with some Caps and XP. These rewards will also increase based on the number of kills you achieve, up to a maximum of six kills.

Every press conference, plenty of trailers and every single blog post had gone in depth about exactly what kind of game this is. The articles on the games official website which I posted in the OT go into extreme detail about what this game is and isn't. If someone buys the game expecting fallout 4 they simply have paid zero attention to absolutely anything Bethesda has been saying since E3.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Will keep an eye on this thread
Hope it gets good impressions, because that's the only way I'm getting this game unless all of my friends get it

Same...I want to hear comments on how easy it is to play with friends...can you just play with 1 friend in a party of 2 for example...? will it create a session and the 22 other players will join on and off...? I dont mind if we cant make it private but I want to go through the game with him.

Thanks for the OT.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the board consensus? Will this game ultimately be successful for Bethesda?
Give it a week or two. Opinions right now don't have much weight.

Same...I want to hear comments on how easy it is to play with friends...can you just play with 1 friend in a party of 2 for example...? will it create a session and the 22 other players will join on and off...? I dont mind if we cant make it private but I want to go through the game with him.

Thanks for the OT.

Yep you can do that. No private servers yet but grouping is a big part of this game.

1. As with friends, you and your teammates can use the map to fast travel to one another.
  2. Teammates cannot deal damage to one another, so don't be afraid you'll injure them if they walk into your line of fire.
  3. If the last of your health slips away and you're knocked down by enemies, a quick call for help to a nearby teammate — armed with a timely Stimpak (or even some other items, with the right Perk cards!) — can make the difference between perishing or prospering.
  4. You will gain experience points whenever a teammate kills an enemy, so long as you've also managed to land at least one hit.
  5. Items inside containers are instanced on a per-player basis, which means everyone on your team can snag loot from the same rusted-out chest without leaving anyone empty handed.
  6. Building a shelter is a breeze when everyone pitches in! Encourage your teammates to join in construction to pool resources and help with the heavy lifting.
  7. Players with high Charisma can also choose to share Perks with teammates. We'll share more about Perks and what makes you S.P.E.C.I.A.L. in a future article.

Last edited:

Shortt Sirket

Oct 26, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Care to elaborate on your experience? I don't think this game is for me but curious to hear where you stand.

Are you a traditional Bethesda fan?

I love Bethesda games and Fallout. I am still optimistic, the starting area is just awful. And waiting for your turn to use workbenches is not something I enjoy. All of the atmosphere I love about Fallout felt ruined by all the other players.

Take all this as my simpke hot take, this is not a game that shines in the beginning but I feel like it has potential.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Do not let that letter deter you from the imminent fun! Stay strong, vault peeps!

o0e7lzotcy811.gif

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Eh, I'm sure the game will do fine, if not great. It's Fallout, it has become pretty mainstream, it will sell regardless of how the launch goes. I remember back on 2008 Fallout 3 was this niche "hardcore" (lol) game, and now I see classmates with Fallout hoodies at my college.

With that being said, I will hold Bethesda to a greater degree of quality and polish when Starfield and TES VI come out.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I tried to launch it on Saturday just to see the title screen and menu music lol.......Got prompted to DL update. Between downlaoding that twice and pre loading RDR2 the day before, I got the nastygram from Xfinity, "YOUR AT 90% OF YOUR 1TB FOR THE MONTH!" : /.

Really excited to play 76, just really want to explore the new world. My favorite parts of F4 were just exploring the world and NOT hearing my character talk. Also I played Fallout 3 and (Obsidians New Vegas, yikes,) at launch on 360 before they were patched, both were rough, not worried about any jank in 76.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Looking forward to DF analysis on an X regarding resolution and performance. I'm bracing for the worst.

I can get this on PC but I'm tempted to buy it on the X to play in 4K HDR but if the performance is sub 30 I'm just gonna go PC.

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to DF analysis on an X regarding resolution and performance. I'm bracing for the worst.

I can get this on PC but I'm tempted to buy it on the X to play in 4K HDR but if the performance is sub 30 I'm just gonna go PC.

Hopefully they weren't lying about the BETA and release build being much improved over what was in the stress test, because that on an X was well...

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Hopefully they weren't lying about the BETA and release build being much improved over what was in the stress test, because that on an X was well...
I wonder what's causing the frame drops? I spent time on some pretty lush areas of the Cranberry Bogs and the game performed well over there, even though it looks more demanding. When I was inside the Greenbrier it ran horribly, even though it's an enclosed environment and nothing is happened. So, uhm, what?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what's causing the frame drops? I spent time on some pretty lush areas of the Cranberry Bogs and the game performed well over there, even though it looks more demanding. When I was inside the Greenbrier it ran horribly, even though it's an enclosed environment and nothing is happened. So, uhm, what?

Any number of things in an old build. My guess is that it actually has something to do with the amount of network sim that has to be occurring. Like, the amount of interaction and sim that happens in a BGS game is pretty intense as is, and now they're doing it over a network. I could be completely wrong though, and probably am.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Any number of things in an old build. My guess is that it actually has something to do with the amount of network sim that has to be occurring. Like, the amount of interaction and sim that happens in a BGS game is pretty intense as is, and now they're doing it over a network. I could be completely wrong though, and probably am.
Something I noticed is that they removed the physics of most clutter objects, you now can't interact with them. The world is still cluttered with trinkets and you can still pick up pretty much everything you see, but it's clear that all you're doing is temporarily disabling a fixed part of the map's geometry. I thought that was a pretty clever implementation, can't imagine how the server would react if it had to calculate thousands of small clutter objects.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Something I noticed is that they removed the physics of most clutter objects, you now can't interact with them. The world is still cluttered with trinkets and you can still pick up pretty much everything you see, but it's clear that all you're doing is temporarily disabling a fixed part of the map's geometry. I thought that was a pretty clever implementation, can't imagine how the server would react if it had to calculate thousands of small clutter objects.

Ah, didn't know that. That is a smart move.