• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Damn it. I misinterpreted the times (why didn't they just give all time zones or at least both PST and EST?) and see I mostly missed the beta, I thought I had logged in earlier than expected. And the next one is blotted out by my work schedule.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean that's the point of survival games though, build the biggest or most elaborate base, faction off, then wage war with the other factions over resources and capital. That's what makes them fun. Placing artificial limits on it because the engine can't handle it seems to miss the purpose.
Yeah that isn't gonna happen in this game haha. Right now your camp is literally just a dumping ground for junk and movable crafting benches. That's it. I just can't find any other reason to build one because they aren't permanent locations and there's no reason for other players to even bother with your camp.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that isn't gonna happen in this game haha. Right now your camp is literally just a dumping ground for junk and movable crafting benches. That's it. I just can't find any other reason to build one because they aren't permanent locations and there's no reason for other players to even bother with your camp.
Which just speaks to me not really understanding the long term goal or real purpose of the game. I guess "multiplayer Fallout 4" but that doesn't seem to have much staying power beyond the novelty I guess.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
They're going to have to change the way PvP works at some point because at the moment it might as well be absent. They could do pve and pvp zones, and they could be randomized day to day idk I'm just spitballing. They could also just do pve/pvp servers.

Deleted member 27751

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Which just speaks to me not really understanding the long term goal or real purpose of the game. I guess "multiplayer Fallout 4" but that doesn't seem to have much staying power beyond the novelty I guess.
Very much my current problem. I enjoy the game probably enough to get it dirt cheap as a CD key but I just don't see why I'd be here in a month's time. Nothing pushes me to be logging in besides the levelling up, and that's only a limited experience of the game. Exploration is great, for the first time. But that's it, why go back? There just doesn't seem to be anything like an mmo-lite or survival game that would keep interest.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're going to have to change the way PvP works at some point because at the moment it might as well be absent. They could do pve and pvp zones, and they could be randomized day to day idk I'm just spitballing. They could also just do pve/pvp servers.
Just do it like every other survival game and have PvP and PvE servers. Bethesda is big enough where they have the ability to mitigate the biggest issue these other titles have in that their anti-cheat stuff might as well not even be there. Ark is unplayable thanks to Chinese hackers. But the PvP half existing but not really and you can ignore it if you want but only kinda thing doesn't really have any gameplay utility.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I like the pvp zones idea better than separate servers but yeah for now it's dead. have yet to be able to get into a hunter hunted match in many hours of beta.

Hubologist

Nov 1, 2017
From all the feedback here, it sounds as though Bethesda still isn't quite sure what they're making and will continue working on the game based on player input and metrics. They were transparent from the beginning about this being new to them and that things would be in flux, so all this is expected.

All well and good, but I think I'll check back in a few months or longer after release. I appreciate everyone's feedback, it's helped inform this decision.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its really very simple, they could make an event where the area has good supplies but its PVP, or also make that nuked zones are also PVP.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
I ran into my second invincible feral ghoul today. The first one I encountered was idle so it was more of a humorous thing, but this one was attacking so I just had to run. No matter how much I shot or slashed at them they didn't take any damage.

Oct 26, 2017
We Stockholm syndrome now.

Same boat. I'm just a fallout fanboy. The music, exploring the world to loot...

Just these three elements alone are enough to satisfy

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont remeber a game making me have such a turnaround in terms of me disliking it a lot at first and ending up loving it. It even made me look some keys at the internet but the price is still incredibly outrageous here in my country. Gonna have to wait some months down the line but fuck its so hard hahaha

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
From all the feedback here, it sounds as though Bethesda still isn't quite sure what they're making and will continue working on the game based on player input and metrics. They were transparent from the beginning about this being new to them and that things would be in flux, so all this is expected.

All well and good, but I think I'll check back in a few months or longer after release. I appreciate everyone's feedback, it's helped inform this decision.

Just playing it feels confusing cause it doesn't exactly seem to know what the game wants to be. It's like they tossed in a bunch of ideas but don't push to hard in any direction, so the game seems a bit directionless?

Thwomp

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If they can't fix the stash issue, can't they just allow us to make gun cases/ armor displays and allow us to store guns/armor there?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

I have a feeling they're going to change everything. Right now the game almost feels like a blank canvas. It's going to be crazy different in 5 years, like a completely different game.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta ask as an aside...why doesn't this Bethesda Launcher support ELder Scrolls Online so I can launch from that? You'd think that would be a Trojan horse way to get people into it.

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Nailed it lol. I'm excited, but not AS excited as prior releases. Yet.....I'll be picking up my Power Armor Edition next week still :/.
I honestly kinda liked when the character would just shut up sometimes in Fallout 4. Still did all quests and 100s of hours, but loved exploring the most. Seems like there will be a lot of that in 76.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
What? https://en.ostrog.com/1499/

I thought mods aren't supposed to happen in online games since it alters experiences of many players and give advantages soemtimes. How is that possible? I thought about getting the PS4 version but now mods make all diffrences. If only Sony was more lenient in allowing most of the mods.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I have a feeling they're going to change everything. Right now the game almost feels like a blank canvas. It's going to be crazy different in 5 years, like a completely different game.

Lol 5 years. Not unless they change the engine.

The game already feels like dog shit in modern world but its propped up by people just wanting to like the game anyways. But in 5 years? Haha yiiiiiiikes.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
What? https://en.ostrog.com/1499/

I thought mods aren't supposed to happen in online games since it alters experiences of many players and give advantages soemtimes. How is that possible? I thought about getting the PS4 version but now mods make all diffrences. If only Sony was more lenient in allowing most of the mods.
A lot of these actually look pretty good. Fixing the map in widescreen., replacing the flash screen, recoloring hair and clothes etc. It would be nice if Bethesda is open to stuff that is't game breaking. Especially related to the awful UI they will probably never fix. ESO has some pretty good mod support and it's an MMO.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
I am still going to buy the game but, I have no idea why.

I'm feeling the same way lol

Same here. I think I'm apart of the problem. I'm enabling them to make buggy, unfinished games. :'c

Nailed it lol. I'm excited, but not AS excited as prior releases. Yet.....I'll be picking up my Power Armor Edition next week still :/.
I honestly kinda liked when the character would just shut up sometimes in Fallout 4. Still did all quests and 100s of hours, but loved exploring the most. Seems like there will be a lot of that in 76.

Dread it. Run from it. You'll still buy it anyway.

oXKOCDW.jpg

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We were following the main quest yesterday.
Another (random) player build a nice camp near one of the questsides and a lvl 50 flying beast decided to attack said camp. The problem: there was nobody to defend the camp and so the lvl 50 monster decided to attack us. We tried to fight it of but at lvl 14-16... No chance. The monster didn't want to despawn and the quest was unreachable because of it.

Well thought through gameplay indeed.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
That makes even less sense. 4A has no experience making open-world RPGs and the writing in the Metro games has been average at best. I definitely don't want Fallout being turned into a 10 hour, linear, highly-scripted FPS.
Honestly, I was just watching Metro gameplay vids and I would totally take similiarly designed game over the abomination that is F76.. or F4 for that matter..

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
I'm going to go with a second account I think to solve the weight issue and workshop defense/control

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Also something weird that I wanted to address; why are so many buildings non enterable?
I'm guessing cause of the online nature of the game they wanted to reduce loading screens. All previous games FO and ES games use constant loading screens when going indoors. In 76 they only have it for certain very big structures. When they said there was minimal loading screens i figured there would be a lot less enterable structures.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I'm guessing cause of the online nature of the game they wanted to reduce loading screens. All previous games FO and ES games use constant loading screens when going indoors. In 76 they only have it for certain very big structures. When they said there was minimal loading screens i figured there would be a lot less enterable structures.
And that's so weird since you go into this ruined world expecting to loot abandoned houses, only to face a 1 inch wooden plank blocking you off.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Just playing it feels confusing cause it doesn't exactly seem to know what the game wants to be. It's like they tossed in a bunch of ideas but don't push to hard in any direction, so the game seems a bit directionless?

i keep seeing this pop up but game seems fairly straightforward to me... fallout 4 gameplay loop with co-op (and pvp, which is admittedly kind of useless, but given the setting and survival focus absence of pvp wouldn't make a lot of sense either)

will say it felt at odds doing the standard bethesda exploring at my own pace thing with GokuKilla420 and his bros running around me, will be an adjustment but i think the game pretty much knows what it is

Deleted member 27751

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Something must be up with pre-orders because the price has just crashed here in Australia. You can get it on Amazon for $49AUD and EB Games have it for $29 when you trade 2 games in.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i keep seeing this pop up but game seems fairly straightforward to me... fallout 4 gameplay loop

i don't want to give any credit to fallout 4 quests and writing but no, 76 is not "fallout 4 gameplay loop but coop"

despite bad, you still had different quests and dialogue in F4. and building was right open for those who wanted to do just that.
F76 is completely focused on walking around and killing stuff to craft better stuff to walk more to kill more stuff to craft better stuff, etcetera. People hoped the empty NPC thing would still lead to interesting quests and i'm sorry, while the content of the holotapes/audiologs might be indeed interesting (cant say ive found one yet but someone posted some interesting stuff a while ago) the quests to get them are anything but. It was a gamble Bethesda did and they failed pretty hard, in my opinion

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
F76 is completely focused on walking around and killing stuff to craft better stuff to walk more to kill more stuff to craft better stuff, etcetera.

i'd argue that's what Fallout 4's gameplay loop essentially was. of course a bare bones variation and i understand if people think that's awful or whatever but i don't buy it when people claim to be struggling to wrap their heads around "but what is game???"

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i'd argue that's what Fallout 4's gameplay loop essentially was

It was the "best" way to enjoy the game, sure, because the writing was poop, but in intention Bethesda still wanted us to do quests and talk to people in F4. And Fallout 4 still had Far Harbour which was enjoyable in its story and characters

There's no Far Harbour to be found anywhere in F76 i'm afraid

Don't get me wrong i agree with you that F76 has a clear purpose and people confused are confused on their own fault. I just don't agree that "F76 is Fallout 4, but online" because surprisingly its still even more shallow than F4 in everything but the very few things it chose to focus on. If people really like these things they focused though, they can still enjoy it

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i'd argue that's what Fallout 4's gameplay loop essentially was. of course a bare bones variation and i understand why people thing that's awful or whatever but i don't buy it when people claim to be struggling to wrap there heads around "but what is game???"

To be fair, you can reduce every RPG down to its core, most basic roots.

Mass Effect 2: You wander around, kill stuff and get better loot
Witcher 3: You wander around, kill stuff and get better loot
Dark Souls: You wander around, kill stuff and get better loot
Diablo: You wander around, kill stuff and get better loot

Every game has other aspects that improves that core design to make something interesting out of it. Dark Souls has combat, art and difficulty, ME2/Witcher 3 have World Building and Storytelling, Diablo makes the item grind a strong point etc.
FO 76 has groupplay, crafting/base building and exploration. I'm not saying crafting or group play are good, just that those aspects are what differentiates it from other RPGs. Question is: Are those aspects good enough? Can they mask the core loop of get loot to get better loot?

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
That's a Bethesda thing. Fallout 4 had a lot of mods that added interior locations, but obviously we'll have to wait for modding tools for this to be fixed in Fallout 76.
And 3 years later they didn't fix this, f76 from what I've seen has far less buildings too so idk what's their problem, obviously it's not a time issue.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
To be fair, you can reduce every RPG down to its core, most basic roots.

Mass Effect 2: You wander around, kill stuff and get better loot
Witcher 3: You wander around, kill stuff and get better loot
Dark Souls: You wander around, kill stuff and get better loot
Diablo: You wander around, kill stuff and get better loot

?

Witcher 3 and Mass Effect 2 puts massive emphasis on dialouge and choices. In fact, the dialouge system in ME is far more important than "loot".
Fallout used to very heavily rely on dialouge and choices too, with speech checks and ability to skip combat through dialouge, or completely change how characters treat you.
This aspect has been dumbed down quite a lot in FO3 and then further in FO4, but 76 just basically outright removed it, without really improving on other core mechanics.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3 and Mass Effect 2 puts massive emphasis on dialouge and choices. In fact, the dialouge system in ME is far more important than "loot".
Fallout used to very heavily rely on dialouge and choices too, with speech checks and ability to skip combat through dialouge, or completely change how characters treat you.
This aspect has been dumbed down quite a lot in FO3 and then further in FO4, but 76 just basically outright removed it, without really improving on other core mechanics.

FO3 and FO4 are completely different games from a different developer. It is the same name, but not the same people behind it. It's not surprising for both games to be different in every way.
I agree about Witcher 3 and Mass Effect, they emphasis on story, world building and characters to make a game out of the core essence of RPGs: kill and loot.
Modern FO is more about exploration and a open world theme park experience, that started with Oblivion. Nothing wrong with there being different RPGs, focusing on different aspects imo.

My question was, if all RPGs have the same loot&kill foundation (+other pillars), what is FO76 bringing to the table? People complain that it's an empty game because loot and killing is a big part of it. When in truth it's a big pat of every RPG. But what is the hook here? Group play, but is it good enough for the game to become a huge success?
I doubt it, that's all I am saying.