• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh... I knew it. Going the ESO route. They will release it later I'm sure. Fucking aggravating.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
That's lame. I own all of the BGS on Steam, it's nice to have a consolidated library.

Sigh... I knew it. Going the ESO route. They will release it later I'm sure. Fucking aggravating.
ESO on Steam doesn't function correctly though, the stand alone launcher is the way to go th

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn it.. Not the news I wanted to hear since I had some Steam currency waiting to be used.

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure it's a smart move, they would probably be better off doing what Ubisoft does by still selling through Steam and launching into their own client, while only selling uplay keys to resellers and not Steam.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
will after the problems with servers and lags In ESO i think i understand their Move

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anything to avoid paying the same cut that literally everyone else offers.

I'm sure this means they'll also pull it from GMG and every other retailer currently selling it. After all they take a 30% cut too.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, if you're as big as Bethesda and have a franchise as big as Fallout I doubt putting it on your own launcher will affect sales too much.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's new to PC gaming, I have no idea why this would move anyone's needle. Everyone who's playing has the same launcher, so it's not like one of you is on Steam and the others are not, and y'all are likely using discord for chat anyway.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
As someone who's new to PC gaming, I have no idea why this would move anyone's needle. Everyone who's playing has the same launcher, so it's not like one of you is on Steam and the others are not, and y'all are likely using discord for chat anyway.
build a decent library of games on a platform you owned for more than 5 or 6 years and then you will understand.

Gin

May 2, 2018
seems like the main reasoning for this is to promote their own launch app ...
not sure how I feel about that (really like my games on steam)

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, massive move imo, Fallout and TES games do stupidly well on Steam.

I wonder why it's becoming a lot more common for the big Pubs to just hard cut out Steam? I know EA did it awhile ago, but I don't think many followed, right?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
build a decent library of games on a platform you owned for more than 5 or 6 years and then you will understand.

I have a ton of games on Steam. It takes what, 5 seconds to find a game on your desktop or using the search bar?

It seems like a wildly overblown issue from folks who are supposed to be somewhat agnostic about this stuff.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017

Because I don't want to install 5 different launchers to manage my games.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
so after we all adopted steam, we're going back to pre steam for installs huh?

CrunchSNACKER

Aug 5, 2018
The plethora of games exclusive to independent game launchers is one of the most annoying parts of pc gaming right now.
I left Origin behind, and am glad GOG doesn't force theirs (though is increasingly hiding it's other options). I stick with the platform I'm hundreds of dollars invested in already.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It's an annoyance because it is not done for our benefit. Steam is fully featured. In game chat, invites, screenshots, patching etc. It just has everything and works. Now we need to use some crappy launcher with none of these features so Bethesda doesn't need to pay that Valve 30%. I get it..and I'll still buy it cause I already have like 8 launchers on my PC but it's just very disappointing.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, all the big pubs are turning away.

Now all they need is to court indie games and other bigger budget games to come to their platform as well.

Akronis

Oct 25, 2017
It takes what, a minute to download it? Two minutes?

All for something that might add...half a minute to the gaming experience?

It's cool that it doesn't bother you, but if every single launcher gets social features I have to manage 5 friends lists as well which I'd rather not do.

How exactly does this benefit me if I have to download a launcher for every stupid publishers games?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
It's an annoyance because it is not done for our benefit. Steam is fully featured. In game chat, invites, screenshots, patcjhing etc. It just has everything and works. Now we need to use some crappy launcher with none of these features so Bethesda doesn't need to pay that Valve 30%. I get it..and I'll still buy it cause i already have like 8 launchers on my PC but it's just very disappointing.

My chat is through Discord and I'm taking screenshots via NVIDIA and the 15 other various pieces of software I installed with my build.

Oct 26, 2017
After Fortnite success and Activision using Battle.net I think publishers are getting more comfortable skipping steam and getting their own solutions. Discoverability is a mess on steam so I don't think it matters as much, and the people that won't buy because it's not on there is way worth the 30% (or whatever the cut they had dealt with valve) difference.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they didn't make this move sooner. They have a large enough library of games to pull it off.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Ugh, more alt-launcher shenanigans. Always can't help but feel devs are shooting themselves in the foot (in terms of overall profit) by not being on Steam. Although some statistics to prove otherwise wouldn't hurt.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an annoyance because it is not done for our benefit. Steam is fully featured. In game chat, invites, screenshots, patching etc. It just has everything and works. Now we need to use some crappy launcher with none of these features so Bethesda doesn't need to pay that Valve 30%. I get it..and I'll still buy it cause I already have like 8 launchers on my PC but it's just very disappointing.

This is the main thing. None of these clients offer anything that steam hasn't been offering for years and are still missing most of the things steam does offer. The only reason they exist at all is for publishers to bypass the 30% cut. It does absolutely 0 for the consumer.

I like this. There should be more competition to Steam.

This myth again.

What competition does uplay and origin provide steam? Do they have something steam doesn't? Do they have a marketplace for their users to make money? VR support? Big picture mode? Steam did all of those things by themselves.

Akronis

Oct 25, 2017
My chat is through Discord and I'm taking screenshots via NVIDIA and the 15 other various pieces of software I installed with my build.

No one gives a shit about how it doesn't bother you bud, maybe you should actually listen to people's complaints. Some people don't want to bloat their PCs with a shit ton of unnecessary software.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It took two months to get an official response about this.

I'm happy they finally confirmed it, but Jesus. Why not just say this right after E3 when people were waiting for it to show up on Steam?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Steam, Bnet, Uplay, Origin, The Twitch App, Windows Store, GOG and now Bethesda Whatever.
Come on: It's getting annoying.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
It's cool that it doesn't bother you, but if every single launcher gets social features I have to manage 5 friends lists as well which I'd rather not do.

How exactly does this benefit me if I have to download a launcher for every stupid publishers games?

You're not reaching across launchers for this game, though. It's one launcher. You friends playing Fallout 76 are gonna be playing it via Bethesda's launcher. There's no friends list managing.

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
if y'all want valve to get off their asses and actually improve shit this is how it gets done.

but also people not realizing that competition in this space can lead to annoyances so...

/shrug