• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, and they're free to exploit and cheat the game as well. But when they do so, they are risking getting banned.

Well my opinion extends to exploits as well. Unless you're modifying the code, you're just taking full advantage of the game that the developers have made. If they didn't intend for you to be able to play that way, or access a certain area, that's on them. They fucked up, they need to fix it - not punish the players who are smart or persistent enough to work this stuff out. Everyone has access to the same code - everyone has the potential to take as much advantage.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
This game is like some kind of weird experiment where they are trying to find out how awful a GAAS has to be for people to stop giving them money.

Echoing some others though, this game has provided me with the most entertainment ever for zero outlay. Incredible, but awful.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well my opinion extends to exploits as well. Unless you're modifying the code, you're just taking full advantage of the game that the developers have made. If they didn't intend for you to be able to play that way, or access a certain area, that's on them. They fucked up, they need to fix it - not punish the players who are smart or persistent enough to work this stuff out. Everyone has access to the same code - everyone has the potential to take as much advantage.
Well, they certainly are trying to fix it by tracking down how it happened in the first place. Meanwhile, cheaters get banned, simple as that.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, they certainly are trying to fix it by tracking down how it happened in the first place. Meanwhile, cheaters get banned, simple as that.

I just don't understand your defence of the developer. Do you work for them?

They're holding the accounts hostage of people who have done what they are permitted within the restrictions (intended or not) of the game to access an area they left open through their own fault. And they are expecting their help to develop the game they are paid to make as ransom.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand your defence of the developer. Do you work for them?

They're holding the accounts hostage of people who have done what they are permitted within the restrictions (intended or not) of the game to access an area they left open through their own fault. And they are expecting their help to develop the game they are paid to make as ransom.
They're banning accounts that violated the game's ToS, let's not pretend otherwise nor make wild and baseless accusations. They're also not "asking people to develop the game for them", just asking how people exploited the game in the first place.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017

They shouldn't be "tracking" anything it's a "dev" room Bethsada placed in there themselves for what I assume was for testing the weapons in the game, they shouldn't be asking people how they got in, they should be removing it.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're banning accounts that violated the game's ToS, let's not pretend otherwise nor make wild and baseless accusations. They're also not "asking people to develop the game for them", just asking how people exploited the game in the first place.

Which term are they specifically violating?

Oct 26, 2017
Why not just send an unkillable Deathclaw after those that got into that room. Every 10 mins it spawns near to the offending players and kills them. Over and over again. Call it the curse of the forbidden crypt and be done with it.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
LOL

Beth hold the account hostage and pretend to care about the player.

It is very clear they want to know how to do it (so called unstable character much like sci-fi movie where you travel through time ? haha) or you got banned.

This is hilarious.

PS. just curious how can it be possible to access dev room in the first place though.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure there was a verafied customer support person from Bethesda posting in another thread. Wonder if they will show up in here.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Bethesda must be drooling over all this free publicity. Bad or good.

pepone1234

Feb 19, 2018
I think it's pretty reasonable to suppose there being a good reason for them to proceed this way. And the people who entered the room deserve getting banned anyway, so it's cool that they can be unbanned by cooperating.

If you don't want people entering the room, don't put that room in the final game and in production servers. Is that simple.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't even see a problem with the way this is being handled, given its multiplayer only and having access to items from that room fucks the economy. They'll patch out entrance methods (or the room) but until then, let us verify how you got there and then we'll remove your items!

It might not even be specific to the dev room, but more just you have items you shouldn't have yet...

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
At this rate, I don't think this game will be fixed until after its one year anniversary. What a damn shame.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
They always have these kinds of dev rooms in their games, I guess it was a matter of time until somebody found out how to get in.

This engine really doesn't seem suitable for online games, they've just like hacked it in as crudely as possible and are scrambling to plug all the holes they've made in the process.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Everyone should write letters to Bethesda demanding to be banned.

Even people who don't play the game.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't want people entering the room, don't put that room in the final game and in production servers. Is that simple.
I would assume it's not as simple as that. Many games contain lots of unused assets in their final code and I don't think they're left there because devs are lazy or w/e.
You're reeeeaaaally going out of your way to stan for what is morally a shitty thing for Bethesda to be doing. Why?

And those terms are so loose you could apply them to almost any behaviour. It basically gives Bethesda free reign to ban for anything they like, which is also bullshit (but at least it's industry-standard bullshit).
Feel free to argue how it's amoral to ban people exploiting things that aren't meant to be exploited on an online multiplayer game.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck did they violate TOS by using an in-game exploit? How is it their fault for finding it?

Item 9. says that they'll ban people for using external programs to modify the game/cheat. It says nothing about in-game things.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I would assume it's not as simple as that. Many games contain lots of unused assets in their final code and I don't think they're left there because devs are lazy or w/e.

Feel free to argue how it's amoral to ban people exploiting things that aren't meant to be exploited on an online multiplayer game.

No matter what way you shake this, the situation is that Bethesda left a way to naturally enter this room in the game without cheating, hacking, or modification. People are accessing this room through natural gameplay. Not *intended* gameplay, but natural.

Argue it's against the spirit of the game all you want, but that's not a tangible thing. The actual code is not being tampered with. These are not hacks. It's a glitch, and there's no "right or wrong" to be argued here. It's not "wrong" to abuse glitches or exploits in games. If that was the case speedrunning would be a definitively criminal act which is just absurd.

Bethesda banning players in this scenario is more wrong than players accessing an area in the game through natural use of the code. The players are accessing something naturally in the game they paid to play using the code the paid to play with. Bethesda is banning them and holding them hostage instead of fixing it.

EDIT: Not that I'm trying to say Bethesda is in the wrong either. My point is more that trying to use "right and wrong" as an argument in this case is misplaced, but the fact that if you were to use that argument you'd hone in on the players over Bethesda being "wrong" morally is kind of absurd.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it Bethesda's job to figure out how he did it? This company is so goddamn incompetent.
Why would that be Bethesda's job? That's why devs tend to have a means of which for people to report bugs, and automated systems for sending them error reports from users who encounter issues.

These people knew they were doing something against the rules, and could have just as easily been perma'd. Instead, Bethesda's offering them the chance to remedy it by telling them how they managed to achieve something they assumed impossible so they can fix it.

No matter what way you shake this, the situation is that Bethesda left a way to naturally enter this room in the game without cheating, hacking, or modification. People are accessing this room through natural gameplay. Not *intended* gameplay, but natural.

Argue it's against the spirit of the game all you want, but that's not a tangible thing. The actual code is not being tampered with. These are not hacks. It's a glitch, and there's no "right or wrong" to be argued here. It's not "wrong" to abuse glitches or exploits in games. If that was the case speedrunning would be a definitively criminal act which is just absurd.

Bethesda banning players in this scenario is more wrong than players accessing an area in the game through natural use of the code. The players are accessing something naturally in the game they paid to play using the code the paid to play with. Bethesda is banning them and holding them hostage instead of fixing it.
As far as I know, players cannot get to the room without using hacks and teleporting to it's exact location.

Regardless, it's an online game, and exploits are often punishable. Players know what they're getting themselves into by doing things like this.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017

Pretty much. Bethesda should stop being shit at their job and figure out how to fix it if they don't want people accessing it. Although considering Fallout 76 is Glitch: The Officials game, I don't think they're capable of fixing it.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

EDIT: Not that I'm trying to say Bethesda is in the wrong either. My point is more that trying to use "right and wrong" as an argument in this case is misplaced, but the fact that if you were to use that argument you'd hone in on the players over Bethesda being "wrong" morally is kind of absurd.
If it's a glitch then it isn't natural. It's an exploit, pure and simple.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Moreso than banning people for playing a game within the limits of the code? Come on.

You still haven't answered. I'd seriously like to know what your stake is in this.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
matrix-gun-rack-o.gif

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moreso than banning people for playing a game within the limits of the code? Come on.

You still haven't answered. I'd seriously like to know what your stake is in this.
If you think I'm astroturfing feel free to report me. And saying it's okay to exploit a glitch in an online game because the glitch is there is nonsense. They also made it clear that they're trying to solve the problem, so it wasn't their intention to let people access that room nor is that a normal feature of the game.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you a programmer? A glitch is an unintended action, but it's happening because it's following logic. Natural does not equal intended. Glitches are just code behaving as it's written.
I'm not a programmer and I was speaking from an overall design standpoint. It's also pretty reasonable label as unnatural giving players access to items and equipment that wasn't meant to be accessible. Otherwise no one would be banned in the first place.

May 26, 2018
lol they're saying the character file gets "corrupted" by visiting this place? As if it wasn't a ban, but a technical neccessity to delete it?

Well, you see, once players enter The Source to meet Todd Howard, their code is irrevocably altered.

You don't want people walking around in the real world putting Bethesda employees into comas with a thought and a cool hand gesture, do you?

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

In a lot of online games it's against the Terms of Service to exploit glitches to get either into areas you shouldn't be in, impact another players experience through unintended mechanics, or get items through unintended means.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Banning is such a knee jerk as well. If they're know they've entered the area then surely they know when they did it. Can't they just revert the player back to a state before they entered rather than just cutting them off?

Let's face it, the last thing they need are less players.