• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 4, 2018

FALLOUT 76: A LOOK BACK AT 2022

Welcome back to Inside the Vault! Fallout 76 has grown significantly over the past year, with players worldwide experiencing all sort of happenings across Appalachia from travelling roadshows to extraterrestrial invasions! As the year ends, we wanted to reflect on those memorable events, updates and improvements that came to Fallout 76 in 2022. Before we begin, we want to first celebrate our community's accomplishments using something we all enjoy: big numbers!

fallout.bethesda.net

Fallout 76 | Fallout 76: A look back at 2022

Fallout 76 has come quite a ways since its initial release – let’s look back at the new features, events and updates that shaped the game this past year!

We can't wait to share with you soon what the next year brings for the game

FO76_Infographic2022_EN-03.png

Oct 30, 2017
One day I'll get back into this game. There is a lot of fun to be had, but I found the grind and base-building to be frustrating at times.

Gonzito

Banned
Apr 5, 2022
Spain
The world building and exploration are absolutely insane in this game. Its really worth to play it just for that.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Honestly I liked this game more than Bethesda's other Fallout games. Mostly because I was a created character and not some prescribed Person of Importance that had to follow a specific story.

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022
lol FO76 is more successful than dead Red Dead online, not to mention the tons of other favorite failed games as a service.

Pfft who knew players bought steel, its everywhere, I must have tens of thousands in my stash box.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
It didn't grab me at launch because of lack of layered dialogue and choice. Good on em though for sticking with it.

Fulcrum

Nov 7, 2022
I'm a HUGE Fallout fan but for some reason this game has an incredible amount of lag when performing any actions. It's a shame really.

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
Some comparison of the milestones with ESO:

The Elder Scrolls Online:
April 2014: launch on PC
June 2015: launch on PS4/Xbox One
November 2017: 10M
June 2018: 11M (+1M YoY)
June 2019: 13.5M (+2.5M YoY)
January 2020: 15M
March 2021: 18M (+3M during 2020)
October 2021: 19M
January 2022: 20M
July 2022: 21M

Fallout 76:
November 2018: launch
November 2021: 11M
April 2022: 12M
October 2022: 13M
December 2022: 13.5M (~ +2.5M YoY)

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I'll try this when/if they do a current-gen version. For an online game with ongoing support, it's a weird omission that it doesn't have one.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Slow start of the year, but the last two seasons of the game have added quite a bit of new content to the game with Nukaworld on Tour this season being one heck of a meaty update. Game has been supported decently, they stumble and have delays in getting some stuff out, but they have continually added to the game and the slow world build up of it's lore has been solid too.

lol FO76 is more successful than dead Red Dead online, not to mention the tons of other favorite failed games as a service.

Pfft who knew players bought steel, its everywhere, I must have tens of thousands in my stash box.

You go through steel so fast, it's needed in almost every plan to build. Also for those who build their own ammo, you need tons of steel constantly so it's easy to get, but you need constant supply of it. Lead is same reason, ammo crafting. Now you don't make a ton of caps off of it, but it's something folks will buy if they find it. So it's always good to dump your excess common mats at your camp as it's just wasted sitting in your inventories. I had thousands of so many mats sitting around, dumping them in the vendors at only 1 cap.... I was quickly at the cap max with how fast the stuff sells.

And they still can't be bothered with a current gen update.

They've hinted about it being a future want, so hopefully next year it's in the cards. We don't have the roadmap for next year yet

Last edited:

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018

Turns out if you spend your money on updating the game people will stick around

Who'd have thunk it Rockstar?

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
I've played since launch (with a few breaks) and I still find new places on the map. Really good stuff if yoi like the Fallout world.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I only jumped in a year or two ago but it actually is just a legitimately good fallout game even without all the online stuff

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Went from being the biggest joke and waste of a 5 dollar rental I have ever seen to being a solid and fun game, and I say that as I guy that plays it 100% solo. Happy I gave it a second chance on pc when it was cheap a few months back. Glad they put the work in to turn it around. Boy was it a fuckin mess at launch though lol

MadJosh04

Nov 9, 2022
I should probably try this game at some point. I got it for free through Prime months ago and never installed it. How is it as a solo experience?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since I played. The last time was when that moonshine event was added. I haven't tried the expeditions at all.

DanteRavenkin

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I love Fallout 76 and it's probably one of my favourite online PvE games. But the game needs three things: a proper next-gen update, Crossplay, and Cross-progression or at least PC to Xbox/PS migration, because I have a ton of stuff on PC I'd rather have on my Xbox. Here's hoping 2023 brings all that and more!

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I should give this game a real try now that it's in such a better state. I need a Fallout fix. Or even just a BGS fix; no other dev fills that niche.

What ever happened to the next-gen update? The FPS boost on XSX runs the game on One S settings, iirc. Not acceptable.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I have bounced off Fallout 76 a couple times, but each time I end up playing it for a solid month or 2 before shelving it.

A few thoughts:
It is really fun to explore and scavenge for the first 20 hours or so, but then it starts to get a little tedious in the mid-late game as your armor and weapons wear down pretty quickly and its a pain in the ass to find the right materials to always be repairing them.

The carrying weight is a constant problem, and does feel like you almost need to have Fallout 1st sub in order to be able to dump your junk in the stash box which is a perk for F1st customers only.

Not being able to 'pause' the game while in the Pip-Boy or VATS is also an issue to me, as using food items or chems doesn't really sync up with having to do it in 'real time' - its too cumbersome. Yeah, you can set favorites on the radial wheel, but many times I just have a large variety of food to use and not just large stacks of 1 thing.

Overall - It's still a very solid Fallout game, but even Fallout 4 still feels better to play and get lost in.

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
I should give this game a real try now that it's in such a better state. I need a Fallout fix. Or even just a BGS fix; no other dev fills that niche.

What ever happened to the next-gen update? The FPS boost on XSX runs the game on One S settings, iirc. Not acceptable.

They said (in March 2022) they have a plan for it but also that it was considered as a long-term plan at this moment (depends what "long-term" means)

(translation)
Zomji : Do you have any plans to release a dedicated version of Fallout 76 for ninth generation platforms?
Mark Tucker : "Releasing such a version is definitely an interesting idea, and we definitely have a plan for it. But at the moment I can not provide exact details of it and it is considered as a long-term plan. "Fallout 76 already has good graphics, and certainly ninth-generation platforms can make the visual experience even better."
www.zoomg.ir

مصاحبه زومجی با مارک تاکر، طراح بازی Fallout 76 - زومجی

مارک تاکر، طراح بازی Fallout 76، اخیرا در جریان یک مصاحبه عمومی در مورد بازی Fallout 76 و آینده آن توضیحاتی ارائه کرد که زومجی هم در آن حضور داشت.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I played very little outside of the opening quest. Is it really that great with world building? Like is there actual characters worth seeing their story?

It's not about character storylines but more about the world building itself. Lot of stuff you discover is just lore enrichment to the overall Fallout mythos, and not really like a narrative story. There is a general simple story there, which is you are from Vault 76 and others like you are trying to rebuild West Virginia. As they expand the game with new content they also slowly advance the overall world narrative of West Virginia as well with how it's being rebuilt slowly, populations coming back, new factions developing. All while also having snippets of stuff which plays into the rest of Fallout lore. World exploration is neat, you don't have the quests where folks are giving you a story, but just visiting an area, they put lot more thought into the design as you look at it, you can tell a story. Clues you find also give background to what was and is going on. For example theres a ski resort area in the map, exploring it and finding clues, audio files, and other things you will notice, theres a bunch of background built into it all and it's not just random ski resort there for the heck of it. They built a great map with lot of thought into it all, but the game lacks the driving narrative that other fallouts had.

In a way the game world feels richer in the lore than say Fallout 4 which was so straight forward theme park about some shitty story around the institute and synths.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for a next gen version to go back. The game is pretty fun.

Great to see that it's a continued success!

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I played very little outside of the opening quest. Is it really that great with world building? Like is there actual characters worth seeing their story?

Honestly, I miss when it didn't have NPCS (but at the same time I'm not sure how they'd expand the game without them so I forgive them for adding it.. plus I know I'm in the minority). My reasoning though? Bethesda writes cheesy ass stories when it comes to the story of the character and live NPCs. But their story writing when it comes to finding tidbits about history of the area is awesome... it is what really is the fun part of exploring for me, finding all the history bits. Fallout 76 since htey had to do story by environment and notes and holotapes did the story where Bethesda shines. And it is an interesting/sad/dark story. And it is pretty immersive. They add in NPCs and the story is totally your usual Bethesda cheese. Boring and just there as an excuse to do quests.

That being said, I actually liked expeditions (mainly cause they are easier soloable and you can always try t find a team at the end part that is less soloable. Plus until the end part if you have a sneak build you can actually use sneak to your advantage. Unlike Daily Ops where even the sneak type you are better off running and gunning due to time limit, sneaking is actually a quite viable way of doing most hte expedition). And the Nuka World on Tour update surprised me in having a lot more than I thought and really adding a lot (for one a lot of in game earnable plans and some fun new events).

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
They definitely don't care. Something like 80 million copies sold of RDR2 and they can't be assed to patch it to 60 on consoles.

Good company.

I'm just saying from a Business point of view Rockstar has reason to not care about RDO.. why waste resources on something that isn't doing well if you have one that is doing extremely well that you could put more resources in. It's not an excuse, but just seeing it from their POV. I liked Red Dead Online and it even has a much better playerbase than GTA (not everyone was toxic and you could easily hide away from a toxic player by fast traveling) but it is what it is.

Phineous_2

Oct 29, 2017
I preordered this digitally and played for a couple of weeks at launch. Came back for the Wastelanders expansion. It was very much improved, but I find inventory management a nightmare and don't like crafting/building in fallout.

If they did a "no-build" mode and a current gen version, I'd jump back in immediately.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I jumped in April of last year, absolutely love it the new Nuka world events are different and fun. Expeditions is also a blast and has a potental to offer more 'expediation' locations in the future.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
So, is this a Sea of Thieves caliber comeback?
I think its improved significantly from an outsiders perspective but SoT is a console/pc exclusive new ip with more players in a not significantly larger time frame. FO76 is multiplat and has been given away for free on pc plenty of times and on game pass for a while now. Def a recovery but nothing insane.

gpn

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing Fallout 76 since the beta on PC, but recently have been playing on a Series S I got during the Black Friday sale. It's been pretty enlightening how much content there is now in Fallout 76 starting from scratch again. I've been playing a couple hours almost every day and up to level 70-something and there is still a ton of locations I haven't found and so many quests that I've picked up that I haven't even started yet. I was also pleasantly surprised that Xbox has a 60 fps patch.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I love Fallout 76 and it's probably one of my favourite online PvE games. But the game needs three things: a proper next-gen update, Crossplay, and Cross-progression or at least PC to Xbox/PS migration, because I have a ton of stuff on PC I'd rather have on my Xbox. Here's hoping 2023 brings all that and more!

at this point I'd be happy with cross play, so i can play with my son!

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
The instanced updates do not convince me to hop back in. An open world Pitt would have been cool. Perhaps they should explore paid expansions.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I should probably try this game at some point. I got it for free through Prime months ago and never installed it. How is it as a solo experience?

Honestly, its a really great PVE experience. There are server wide events that will require other players, but all the missions/story stuff you can solo. Here is the thing, Even if you play solo, Still join 'Teams' When you max teams, You get a XP boost. So a lot of the time, I'm playing solo, I join teams just so I can get EXP bonus (You also get caps when a teammate complete a mission). There is really no downside to joining a team.

Oct 27, 2017
I play this game off and on but have been playing pretty regularly with a buddy since the summer (he started it, didn't like it and put it down and came back and loves it now). Most of the updates have been great but part of me misses that launch window where there were no NPC's. One of my best gaming memories is fighting my way through the Big Bend Tunnel and emerging in the Cranberry Bog, surrounded by the wreckage of the people who survived the War but were no longer there. It was really a great atmosphere, full of dread.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I tried it recently when Game Pass gave me a month of Fallout 1st but I was pretty much bored senseless the entire time. It seems like the game boils down to some of the worst aspects of FO4's gameplay - specifically the base building aspect which is a snorefest imo.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
They couldn't think of something as cool as Shark Cards for Red Dead. I thought I.O.U.s would be cool.
The problem was that the economy outpaced their updates by a country mile. So by the time they could fix the damn game to even spawn the wildlife you needed to do the trade stuff they put in, people would be swimming in the gold they needed to buy whatever the next five updates would put in, unless they quintupled down on gold costs for everything.

So they did it to themselves. They could done housing, ranches, train robberies, any number of things. They just weren't able to slap a Batmobile skin on a horse the way they can do it to a car in GTA. And they weren't willing to do something that wasn't as relatively easy as that, so… here we are.