• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
As mentioned use Melee weapons
Unlock Whitesprings golf course early (always lots going off and a easy power core spawn in a van)
Easy to get Power Armour at wood yard located top left of map
Use any weight related perk cards
Team up and use shared perks

On Xbox I'm level 50 and only carry a Supersledge & sniper rifle,anything heavy gets scrapped. I unlocked Whitesprings on PS4 at level 5 but it's a tough area.

I keep noticing you online PJsprojects, if you see me on XBL gimme a shout, I've not been able to team up with anyone yet and would appreciate being able to "unleash" in events a little :D

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Sweet, you have a general time you're more likely to be online? I've got odd hours here with a baby and stuff, so can be flexible. Either than or I'll drop you a message when I see you;re on.
Evenings and some afternoons mostly,sometimes just to collect footage for my channel but anytime im on just message me. That goes for any multiplayer game really.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I took a chance on decided to pick this up despite all the horror stories I decided to jump in and I am having a blast.

Playing entirely solo I'm enjoying exploring all these locales , the map looks huge and it takes along time to walk between landmarks but atm I am just enjoying the sights along the way.

Also met some generous ppl so far , one level 86 gave me an wesome bag of goodies , lack of pvp is actually a good thing for me and encourages experienced players to play a bit nicer :)

Still a lonnnggggg way to go , I could defintely see it getting stale but by then I would have got my monies worth .

Not sure if I would feel differently if I experienced all the launch bugs and fulll price , but defintely enjoying it for what it is right now.

Sure there are still a ton of problems but I can look past them when I am enjoying exploring.

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally was able to do the stupid obstacle course at Camp McClintock to advance the Enclave questline (actually had my son do it for me, was too frustrating). I go to my map to see if any of the Enclave events are active and there is one, it's a "Bots on Parade" or whatever it's called. I've done these before, basically it's a location with a bunch of those robot spawning pods/tubes things. Modus spawns some robots, you defend them from waves of enemies, pretty basic. Well I fast travel to the event (15 caps!) and spawn inside one of the fucking robot pods/tube things. I could move around inside and everything.You have to interact with a terminal to start the event so I was stuck.

Fucking Bethesda haha. I'm still digging the game though

zorbsie

Oct 25, 2017
Have one final mission to do which is follow the Overseer. I need to find a holotape, but there is no marker on the map. Anyone done this or know what I'm doing wrong?

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Have one final mission to do which is follow the Overseer. I need to find a holotape, but there is no marker on the map. Anyone done this or know what I'm doing wrong?

I can't get it completed even though I've gotten all the tapes. I think it's because there will be more tapes in new upcoming content.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yep, if I go into the menu where it shows what the atom point challenge reward status (I forget what it's called), it said I had all of them, and still have the quest to follow the Overseer.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, this game has so many small things I absolutely love about it and some large things I absolutely hate about it.

What I think would be best, is take all these UI and UX changes I love in this game, and apply it to Fallout 3 remaster. That would be fantastic.

Jan 27, 2018
My article about why folks continue to love and enjoy Fallout 76 is up: What Keeps Fallout 76's Superfans Coming Back After All the Negativity

Some of your responses made it in. Thank you again for responding!

Agree, really liked the article. Glad the government shutdown got me into this game finally. Only downside is when the cat jumps in front of the monitor and I can't see the ghouls attacking me. Seems much more frustrating than when it happens in other games.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Think I encountered some professional Scorchbeast Queen hunters. Event started and once I got there it was about halfway dead in the 2nd phase. Got some hits in to get some credit for the kill but area was covered in Scorchbeast corpses.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
The patch notes today made me giddy with excitement. I'm glad to see Bethesda is listening to its players and would implore anyone that was turned off by numerous bugs and lacking features to check the game out again. Patch notes below:

Fallout 76 Patch Notes – January 29, 2019

Patch 5 is rolling out today with a number of balance and design changes along with another large wave of bug fixes. All of this is possible thanks to your continued support and feedback on the game.

As the game evolves, so do our patch notes. With Patch 4 a few weeks ago, we added "Dev Notes" under some of our larger changes. We've done this to provide you with more context behind things like balance and design changes. We will also tackle additional questions as they come in and we'll update this article as needed. Additionally, we've been working on a known issues post that we plan to keep updated as we fix existing bugs, acknowledge and address any new issues that arise, and roll out changes to the game based on you feedback.

Now, let's take a look at the updates coming with Patch 5.

---

### Patch Version:

Download sizes for today's patch will be approximately 3.5 GB for consoles, and around 500 MB for PC.

- **PC:** 1.0.5.10
- **PS4:** 1.0.5.9
- **Xbox:** 1.0.5.7

---

### General

- Performance: Several additional improvements have been made to in-game performance.
- Stability: The Fallout 76 game client and servers have received additional stability improvements.

### Balance Changes

- **Perks:** The damage bonuses provided by each rank of the Demolition Expert perk have been reduced from +20%/40%/60%/80%/100% to +20%/30%/40%/50%/60% to match other weapon perk damage bonuses.
- **Perks:** The condition loss bonuses provided by each rank of the White Knight and Licensed Plumber perks have been reduced from 30%/60%/90% to 20%/40%/60%, and their repair bonuses have also been reduced, to match the Power Patcher perk.
- **Dev Note:** In looking at the Demolition Expert, White Knight, and Licensed Plumber perks, we felt they have so far been overperforming in their current roles, and we wanted to bring them more in line with similar perks to help prevent them from feeling like mandatory picks.
- **Weapons:** The Explosive legendary mod's damage bonus has been reduced from +100% to +20% of base weapon damage, with explosive radius damage.
- **Weapons:** The Two Shot legendary effect's damage bonus has been reduced from +100% to +25% of base weapon damage.
- **Dev Note:** As mentioned in a previous Inside the Vault article, both the explosive mod and two shot weapons could result in dealing very high amounts of damage, and this was compounded if two shot and explosive were combined. We've decided to tone both of these damage bonuses back.
- **Weapons:** Flamers, Cryolators, plasma weapons, and laser weapons can no longer spawn with the Explosive legendary mod.
- **Dev Note:** The explosive mod causes weapons to fire bullets that are . . . explosive. The weapons listed above don't fire bullets, so we've temporarily removed the ability for them to spawn with that mod applied so we can make adjustments.

### C.A.M.P., Crafting, and Workshops

- **Scrapping:** Loose weapon and armor mods are now protected from autoscrapping when crafting. However, they can still be scrapped manually if a player wants to break them down into scrap components.
- **Turrets:** An "(Owned)" tag will now appear next to the names of Turrets a player has built in their C.A.M.P. or a workshop.

### Design and Gameplay

- **Carry Weight:** Is now capped to an absolute limit of 1,500 pounds over the character's current maximum carry weight.
- For example: If your carry weight limit is 210 pounds, then your maximum limit is 1,710 pounds.
- Characters will be unable to exceed this new weight limit moving forward.
- Characters who already exceed this limit will be unable to add any additional items or caps to their inventories until they have reduced their carry weight below the cap.
- **Dev Note:** These limits exist primarily to keep servers from performing poorly, which can happen when we have too many items in the game world. They also play role in helping to regulate the in-game economy. We do recognize the desire to be able to own more of the cool items that we have in the game, and we are looking into a variety of solutions, including increasing the stash size. We will be sure to talk more about this when they are ready.
- **Cap Stashes:** To help address cap exploits, caps stashes have been turned into containers, which allows them to properly reset and provide players with instanced loot.
- **Plans and Recipes:** When viewing a plan or recipe in a menu, a "(Known)" tag will now appear next to the names of recipes and plans the player has already learned.
- **Vendors:** Recipes and Plans in Vendor inventories are no longer randomized and can now be reliably sourced from those Vendors, with the exception of some minor Workshop and C.A.M.P. Plans.
- The appearance of many Plans and Recipes in Vendor inventories is based on player level and they will show up once the proper level has been reached.
- Additional structural Plans for wall sets, power connectors, doors, generators, and water purifiers have also been added to some Vendors.

### PVP

- **Hunter/Hunted:** A server-wide message will now appear when a player joins the Hunter/Hunted queue.
- This message will only be displayed once per player to avoid spam.
- An additional server-wide message will be displayed when Hunter/Hunted is ready to begin in order to give other players a final chance to join.

### Quests and Events

- **Belly of the Beast:** A new "Ultracite Power Armor" entry has been added to Taggerdy's Terminal on the top floor of Fort Defiance, offering Ultracite Power Armor plans to those who read it.
- **First Contact:** A new miscellaneous objective will now appear upon reaching the Overseer's C.A.M.P. for the first time, prompting the player to place a C.A.M.P. of their own.
- **Gauley Mine:** A new miscellaneous objective will now appear at Gauley Mine to introduce players to Ore Deposits.
- **Monster Mash:** The amount of XP awarded per round during this event has been reduced from 350 to 100.

---

### Bug Fixes

##### Art and Graphics

- **Lighting:** Lighting no longer flickers throughout Arktos Pharma.
- **Apparel:** Fixed an issue that could cause a character's legs to show through the Rose Dress while it is equipped.

##### C.A.M.P., Crafting, and Workshops

- **Artillery:** Fixed an issue that could prevent Artillery from being placed in valid locations.
- **Blueprints:** Addressed an issue preventing players from placing a stored blueprint containing posts that were placed partially underground when the blueprint was originally saved.
- **Budget:** Scrapping a stored blueprint that contained wires will now correctly remove those wires from the C.A.M.P. budget.
- **Exploit:** Addressed an exploit that could allow players to duplicate their stored blueprints.
- **Exploit:** Addressed an exploit that could allow players to reduce their carry weight to a negative value.
- **Foundations:** Fixed an issue that could cause a "Cannot place item: Needs support" message to display when editing a partially floating foundation.
- **Power Armor Station:** Players can no longer view power armor they do not own when attempting to access a power armor station that's occupied by another player.
- **Scrapping:** Ignition Cores crafted for the Earth Mover event are no longer automatically scrapped when using the Scrap All Junk option at a Workbench.
- **Scrapping:** Junk items that need to be manually scrapped are no longer automatically scrapped for components when attempting to craft.
- **Stored Objects:** Repeatedly attempting to place an Atomic Shop variant of an object the player had stored but does not own no longer prevents them from placing other variants.
- **Structures:** Fixed an issue that could prevent a C.A.M.P. or workshop structure from being edited when building levels had been merged or split several times. This fix is not retroactive and will not apply to structures built prior to today's patch.
- **Terminals:** Powered terminals contained within a stored blueprint now work correctly when the blueprint is placed in a new location

##### Challenges

- **Collect Holotape Games:** Nuka Tapper sub-challenge can now be completed by playing the Nuka-Tapper holotape game.
- **Formal Wear Challenges:** Pantsuits and Shortsuits now correctly count as formal wear when completing challenges.
- **Gather Building Supplies:** The "Scrap items to produce fertilizer" condition has been updated to "Collect Fertilizer" and can be completed by salvaging or crafting it using spoiled fruits, vegetables, and meat.
- **Learn Cooking Recipes:** This challenge will now recognize many additional cooking recipes when they are learned for the first time. Retroactive credit will not be awarded for recipes learned prior to today's patch, but that is planned for a future update.

##### Enemies

- **A.I.:** Fixed an issue in which some enemies could chase the player farther than intended and become frozen in place.
- **Exploit:** Addressed several XP exploits by adding a limit to the maximum amount of XP granted by a single kill.
- **Looting:** Fixed an issue that could prevent players from looting goo and ash piles after killing an enemy with a laser or plasma weapon.

##### General

- **Loading:** Fixed several issues that could cause characters' body parts, equipped apparel, or armor to become temporarily invisible to other nearby players or teammates after loading into a world.
- **Monorail Elevator:** Fixed an issue that prevented the Monorail Elevator near the edge of Cranberry Bog from taking players to the top floor.
- **Performance:** The Scorched Earth event has received optimization improvements.
- **Performance:** On laptops with more than one graphics card, Fallout 76 will now default to using the dedicated graphics card rather than an integrated card.
- **Performance:** Launching the Traditional or Simplified Chinese game clients on Xbox One no longer causes a 6 second hitch when the launch video begins to play.

##### Items

- **Bobbleheads:** Using multiple Explosive Bobbleheads no longer causes their effects to stack.
- **Exploit:** Addressed an exploit that could allow players to duplicate items using MODUS Vendors.
- **Exploit:** Addressed an exploit in which the Vampire legendary effect could restore health through unintended means.
- **Magazines:** Removed magazines from several locations where they were unintentionally guaranteed to spawn.
- **Tomahawks:** No longer become stuck in mid-air after striking a hostile creature or player.
- **Magazines:** Guns and Bullets #5 now correctly provides bonus components when scrapping weapons, but no longer specifies a 50% increase.
- **Magazines:** Tesla Science #6 now correctly grants bonus Rad Resistance.
- **Rad-X:** Consuming multiple Rad-X or Diluted Rad-X no longer causes their effects to stack.
- **Health Bonuses:** A player with very low health who unequips an item that provides bonus health will no longer be instantly killed if removing that item that would cause their health to drop to or below 0.
- **Paper Bags:** Fixed multiple issues in which transferring items into an empty paper bag as the bag was despawning caused those items to become lost.
- **Pip-Boy:** Fixed a rare issue that could cause a character's Pip-Boy to go missing.
- **Power Armor:** Entering a suit of power armor no longer occasionally causes it to become invisible to nearby players.

##### Perks

- **Butcher's Bounty:** Searching a dead Tick with the Butcher's Bounty perk equipped can now correctly produce additional Tick Blood.
- **Cap Collector:** Now requires players to search caps stashes, much like other perks that grant a search option for containers.
- **Exploit:** Addressed an exploit affecting the Curator perk.
- **Fireproof:** Flame attack damage reduction provided by the Fireproof perk now correctly applies to Molotov fire damage.
- **Serendipity:** A notification will now appear on-screen and sound effects will play whenever the Serendipity perk's effects are triggered.
- **Super Duper:** Can no longer trigger when crafting quest items.
- **Traveling Pharmacy:** Now correctly applies its weight reduction effect to Radaway, Diluted Radaway, Stimpaks, Diluted Stimpaks, Bloodpacks, Glowing Bloodpacks, Disease Cures, and Antibiotics.

##### PVP

- **Respawn:** Fixed an issue that could prevent a player who was killed in water from correctly ending PVP upon respawning.
- **Stealth:** Addressed an issue in which stealth damage bonuses could still be applied by a sneaking player's attacks during PVP even that player was within their target's direct line of sight.
- **Wanted:** Fixed an issue that could cause the bounty amount for a Wanted player to appear halved on the map when approaching that player in the game world.

##### Quests and Events

- **Breach and Clear:** The Meteoric Sword now correctly has a slim chance to spawn in containers during the Breach and Clear event.
- **Early Warnings:** Quest progress will no longer become stuck when crafting Upgraded Motors and logging out after crafting Upgraded Motors will no longer reset the quest tracker to 0/5.
- **Events:** Fixed an issue that could allow a player to simultaneously join two different events.
- **Events:** Fast traveling after joining an event will now correctly remove the player from that event and will no longer prevent them from joining proximity event at their fast travel destination.
- **Flavors of Mayhem:** Rose will no longer occasionally play unrelated voiceover lines when attempting to turn in Flavors of Mayhem, and the player is no longer prevented from correctly completing the quest.
- **Signal Strength:** Fixed an issue that could prevent Rose's introductory voiceover lines from playing when the player approaches Top of the World.
- **Second Helpings:** An area marker will now appear for the "Find Delbert Winters in Flatwoods" objective to better inform players about their options for proceeding through the quest.

##### Survival

- **Diseases:** The Rad Worms disease now correctly increases rad damage taken by 50%.

##### Sound

- **Weapons:** Breath sound effects will now play correctly when activating the Hold Breath option while zoomed.

##### User Interface

- **Display:** Fallout 76 will now better autodetect AMD 7900/8900 series and AMD Radeon R9 200 Series graphics cards.
- **Field of View:** Addressed an issue causing camera clipping near walls when using a very high Field of View setting.
- **Hotkeys:** Fallout 76 now better supports French AZERTY keyboard layouts and the game's controls will adjust accordingly.
- **Hotkeys:** While using a French AZERTY keyboard, the "/" key can now be properly rebound in the controls menu.
- **Loading Screens:** Fixed an issue that could cause loading screens to appear cut off or black at different resolutions when entering a building's interior.
- **Map:** Character levels no longer appear truncated on the map for players over level 100.
- **Nameplates:** Fixed an issue that prevented player nameplates from appearing while inside the nuke zone during the Scorched Earth event.
- **Nameplates:** Fixed an issue that prevented the crown icon from displaying next to legendary enemy nameplates.
- **Social:** On Xbox, after sending a friend request to another player a notification will now display to confirm that a friend request has been sent.
- **Social:** The "Invite to Team" option no longer appears for players who have already joined the team.
- **Social:** If an attempt to fast travel to a friend or teammate using the Social Menu fails due to nearby enemies the player will now be notified by an error message that states "You cannot fast travel when enemies are nearby".
- **Trading:** Decreased the wait time required between trades when making multiple trades with another player. If players attempt to make multiple trades too quickly, a new "Trade failed due to frequency, wait a moment and try again." error message will now display rather than the previous "Trade Failed on Server" message.
- **Trading:** Fixed an issue on PC that could cause the player's cursor to appear on both sides of a trade menu at the same time.
- **Tutorials:** New players will now receive a tutorial message informing them of the Change Appearance option in the Main Menu.
- **VATS:** Now selects targets more consistently across different field of view (FOV) values. For example, VATS will no longer target enemies that are visible in peripheral vision at high FOV values, but would be off-screen at default FOV values. This fix will help prevent VATS from providing an advantage to players who use high FOV settings.
- **VATS:** Fixed an issue that could cause the VATS interface to rapidly flicker on and off.
- **Voice Chat:** Fixed an issue preventing the speaker icon from appearing to others while a player is speaking over voice chat.
- **Workshop Previews:** The player's current Atom balance no longer appears truncated when viewing an Atomic Shop item in the workshop preview at 16:10 and 21:9 resolutions.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Tagging plans and recipes as known is huge for me. I've spent a lot of caps on stuff I couldn't use because it's too hard to remember if I already know it or not.

zorbsie

Oct 25, 2017
Going to hop back in the game tonight. Took a break from it because the last update made my game crash everytime I tried to play. Hopefully the new patch has fixed that. Some good QOL additions here.

Is there word on when we will get actually new content?

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Is there word on when we will get actually new content?

I think the first new content we'll see is the survivor PvP beta which they said is in March sometime for PC although that's not really new content.

I'm waiting to jump back in when they start adding in new stuff. There's only so many times I can level up for perk cards and farm legendaries.

zorbsie

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man the nerf to my two shot handmade is significant. It's totally useless now. Same goes for the two shot dragon I had too. They lowered the damage, but they didn't increase the loot mobs give you. Took 2 minutes and a ton of ammo to take down a mirlurk queen and she had trash as loot. Seems like deathclaws got a buff too. 3 swipes and I was dead, and I was in power armor too. I'm out till they get actual new content.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Another month down and next to nothing on new content. The new PVP mode sounds awful, instead of trying to fix the PVP system, they just gave up and are making a mode with no rules? Lame. Fine, when are we getting some new content? What happened to those new events and such?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Another month down and next to nothing on new content. The new PVP mode sounds awful, instead of trying to fix the PVP system, they just gave up and are making a mode with no rules? Lame. Fine, when are we getting some new content? What happened to those new events and such?

My take is that with all the flak the game got its stifling the desire to invest a ton of time and resources into pushing out new content

Hopefully not the case. I still want multiplayer Fallout to be a thing going forward as its quite fun but some of the fundamental things we need will likely take a long time or maybe will be including in a future game.... maybe

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
So apparently this latest patch has a shit ton of bugs and breaks things they fixed in earlier patches like duping as well as nerfing a ton of things to boot.

The reddit is blowing up and people are quitting in droves. Honestly, I don't blame them and it's real tough to keep supporting this game. I think it's pretty apparent at this stage already that Bethesda has no fucking clue what they are doing and bit off way more than they can chew and tried to release an online game using their shit engine and now they are paying the price because their incompetence is really showing with this. It's one thing to patch and break shit in an offline game, but you can't keep doing this for an online game.

Now personally I still got my money's worth because I had fun exploring the huge world, but now that I'm done with that I'm just waiting for new content but by time they try and fix everything it will already be too late. It's a shame, and it's crazy how damaging this game has had on their brand.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah all im seeing from their updates are just nerfs nerfs and more nerfs

What a shame

Ouch, first time I was able to check this fully, and those nerfs do sort of stand out :(

Seems strange to put dev time into making a new PvP system, it doesn't seem like anyone has been crying out for a different take on PvP over and above fixes and end game content. At this point why not just make PvP and PvE servers?

So apparently this latest patch has a shit ton of bugs and breaks things they fixed in earlier patches like duping as well as nerfing a ton of things to boot.

The reddit is blowing up and people are quitting in droves. Honestly, I don't blame them and it's real tough to keep supporting this game. I think it's pretty apparent at this stage already that Bethesda has no fucking clue what they are doing and bit off way more than they can chew and tried to release an online game using their shit engine and now they are paying the price because their incompetence is really showing with this. It's one thing to patch and break shit in an offline game, but you can't keep doing this for an online game.

Now personally I still got my money's worth because I had fun exploring the huge world, but now that I'm done with that I'm just waiting for new content but by time they try and fix everything it will already be too late. It's a shame, and it's crazy how damaging this game has had on their brand.

I've not been on the Reddit much but blimey it seems much less positive and hopeful since the last patch... Speaking of which it seems like Bobby pins are back up to ludicrous weight again. I've not had time to play in the last week and I'm really in no rush to go back now.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Seems strange to put dev time into making a new PvP system, it doesn't seem like anyone has been crying out for a different take on PvP over and above fixes and end game content. At this point why not just make PvP and PvE servers?.

The pvp system in the game is just... broken. It's half assed and feels like they didn't have a proper idea of how to do it so they made it super pointless. Instead of trying to make pvp have some kind of purpose in the game, they are just making separate game mode for open pvp. Feels like a waste of time.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The pvp system in the game is just... broken. It's half assed and feels like they didn't have a proper idea of how to do it so they made it super pointless. Instead of trying to make pvp have some kind of purpose in the game, they are just making separate game mode for open pvp. Feels like a waste of time.

I keep wondering did they mean to have it completely "pointless" as to not appeal to people who like PvP in such games from the start or did they panic and just throw in everything they could think of to remove its teeth? I kinda think the latter as I can't believe anyone would genuinely think its current incarnation was a good idea at the design stage. I loathe PvP in general and especially in survival games and even I thought it was worse than pointless and it would appeal to no-one. Like you say, waste of time. I continue disappointed for now I guess.

Also all these perk changes without a functioning respec system where ones can be given out gratis is just jaw droppingly daft.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

You know, as some one who really doesn't want PvP.... good. Give PvP players a mode they can play. I'm perfectly happy long as at worst they keep the original game for me to play (since apparently most people don't PvP in it which actually makes it very pleasant for me and I actually like interacting with others cause of so).

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I keep wondering did they mean to have it completely "pointless" as to not appeal to people who like PvP in such games from the start or did they panic and just throw in everything they could think of to remove its teeth? I kinda think the latter as I can't believe anyone would genuinely think its current incarnation was a good idea at the design stage. I loathe PvP in general and especially in survival games and even I thought it was worse than pointless and it would appeal to no-one. Like you say, waste of time. I continue disappointed for now I guess.

Also all these perk changes without a functioning respec system where ones can be given out gratis is just jaw droppingly daft.

I imagine they wanted more pvp, but after the game was revealed one of the biggest concern and fear of questioning was all directed to PvP and how so many players didn't want PVP to ruin the game for them. Even the demo they showed off of PVP in the reveal seemed more free form. I imagined with all the constant concern of how pvp worked, they nerfed it into the ground and made it pointless. Bethesda was tight lipped on how PvP was to work in this game till really close to release, so I think they didn't exactly know how to implement it really.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Take this with a huge grain of salt, but someone made a thread on /v/ alleging to be a level designer from BGS to talk about FO76 tonight and even though it's probably fake it does sound pretty convincing honestly.

Sup /v/.

I'm a Bethsoft team member and, well I just wanted to clue you in a little on why Fallout 76 was such a mess of a production as you're never going to be told the real reason from PR (unless something dramatic happens) and nobody has written a complete story on it yet despite me putting out feelers to the usual journos and letting them know I'm willing to share.

I can't give you proof or credentials (for obvious reasons) so I understand if you choose to not to believe me. I'll say that I work as a part of the level design team at BGS and have been there long enough to know the ins and outs of what happened with it.

The main focal point of this entire debacle that underpins a lot of the problems and criticism is that Fallout 76 was NEVER envisioned or designed to be sold as a $60 retail title and only had around 11 months of true development time.

F76 was initially one of the many smaller 'wouldn't this be cool' side projects that never usually bear any fruit and internally are concocted by a handful of the main creatives. It had been in that state of 'an idea on paper' for nearly the past decade.

The majority (and I'm talking 95%) of the staff at BGS (the main studio) have been and still are working on Starfield. All the money and resources have been committed here for the past 4-5 years, we didn't even know internally about F76 till March 2017.

Fallout 76 was the pet project of design director Emil Pagliarulo, who in my opinion had no business heading up a project of this scope.
BGS Austin was handed the basic framework, of the creation engine used in F4's production on Jan 22 2018 along with a half completed world map and told to add-in functionality to make it what amounts to an MMORPG. That includes server support, networking and everything that goes with it.

Austin was (and still is kinda) a brand new studio with few members, little experience with our tools and not much experience in the industry.

Despite what I see people posting about here and on Reddit, Todd Howard had very little to do with this project outside of greenlighting it and being the PR man and overpromising at E3 based on incorrect/missing features and overly optimistic progress reports he was given from Emil.

When asked about Starfield.

Well, I can assure you that Starfield is going to be the biggest game ever created by us and is very much what you'd call a 'Classic Bethesda Game'

Simply being able to work on a project that is 100% ours and not trying to follow up work started by others.

BGS is better than it has ever been. Starfield has revitalized everyone creatively because we're working fresh and don't have to adhere to any pre-established rules or ideas inherent to the series.

It sounds silly, but even something as small as the V.A.T.S in fallout or the Deadra in TES severely limits what we can do, because everyone expects, nae demands they be there.

On the future of FO76.

Hard to say, there are no additional resources being committed so don't expect too much. It's also not going free-to-play despite what people have been saying.

I never worked on 76 outside of creating a bunch of assets, it's all in BGSA's hands now.

Execs are actually quite happy with F76 considering how little went into production and what it sold. They're underestimating the damage it has done to the 'Bethesda brand' in my opinion.

On why Bethesda won't get rid of the Creation Engine.

Nobody is forcing it on us, we just don't have the people or the resources to create an entirely new engine that includes all the tools and features our types of game would require.

You would really have create an entirely new studio to just make a new toolset and engine. Nothing out there at the moment would work for how we make games.

You would also have to retrain the entire art/design team or hire a new team to use these new tools

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I imagine they wanted more pvp, but after the game was revealed one of the biggest concern and fear of questioning was all directed to PvP and how so many players didn't want PVP to ruin the game for them. Even the demo they showed off of PVP in the reveal seemed more free form. I imagined with all the constant concern of how pvp worked, they nerfed it into the ground and made it pointless. Bethesda was tight lipped on how PvP was to work in this game till really close to release, so I think they didn't exactly know how to implement it really.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
f76 is better than fallout 4 though.

I still contend the only real mistake made was charging $60 at launch. Should have been early access. That alone would have changed the discourse and given them time to work without the knives drawn.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
f76 is better than fallout 4 though.

I still contend the only real mistake made was charging $60 at launch. Should have been early access. That alone would have changed the discourse and given them time to work without the knives drawn.

yeah and the concept itself isnt flawed

Multiplayer fallout is legit awesome and they had some really great ideas on show

Really the main issues are mechanical and stability. The execution is an exercise in fixing one leaky pipe while bursting 4 more. Its a damn shame. This game could have been better but Im wary of whether it is still salvagable after this many updates have failed to completely lock down its core issues

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
That reads like total fanboy fantasy.

Yet it feels real with how the game has been handled.

The game is merely a good concept that essentially is a mess at doing anything right and feels highly directionless with lot of poorly thought out game systems. The whole short development time feels real as to get a product out for Christmas season. And the lack of them giving us any concrete info on future content, no road map of any kind. Folks been asking about plans, wanting to see the games future, and they just aren't showing us anything but lot of "stuff is coming"... it feels extremely half assed and if it's true, they should never have put this out as a full priced product.

It feels like they rushed out something to be a gap filler as Starfield and the next ES games are a ways off for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.