• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
And saga continues XD

Initially, the creation of the Apocalyptic Aristocracy group was somewhat of a joke — VectorZarak didn't even have a subscription himself at the time. But, as he started inviting players to the clan, word started getting out, and memes about the Fallout 1st high life started exploding.

"Within a day or two we reached 100 members," VectorZarak recalls. (As of this writing, the Aristocracy is staffed by nearly 300 players.) "There was a real change in the dynamic as people flooded in. The anti-subscription players had become very toxic, so much so that players could not even discuss the private servers or the bonuses that came with them without being insulted or yelled at. What started as a joke quickly turned into a safe haven, where players who had subscribed could openly discuss Fallout 1st topics without being attacked."

As VectorZarak tells it, the group doesn't truly look down on people who don't have a subscription. In part, the whole idea is meant to satirize elitists, and the people who insist that Fallout 76 has a class tension. But if you speak to the members themselves, the role-play starts blurring the lines a little thanks to folks and memes who refer to non-paying 76ers as "peasants."

When I asked players why they're a part of the group, the first response I got back was from Terry Mollinet, who says, "We joined because we're better than everyone else." Mollinet later clarified that it was a joke, but other fans seem to like holding up the veneer, because things are more fun that way.

"I really enjoy getting under someone's skin and then at the end hitting them with the good old, 'learn to laugh, it's just a joke and only a game' to later double down on my trolling," said Jeremy Songer, one of the Aristocrat's leading meme-developing troublemakers.

"I joined to whip ass and chew on peasants, and I'm all outta peasants," Shibby Hocker said on Facebook.

Donald Meeks, another member of the clan, stated, "We are simply classier and wealthier than the common rabble! Why sully yourself on a public server when you can hoard legendaries for yourself and sell them for a massive profit to the less fortunate!"

Kenny Tull, another Fallout 76 fan, gave me a thoughtful response about how he felt the outrage against Fallout 1st was "manufactured" by YouTubers, given that there's actually plenty of utility in the subscription.

"I get two days off a week, sometimes less," Tull said. "I don't have time to grind challenges for atoms, or fight to farm for workshops," he continued, noting that the subscription helps him with those issues. But all the same, he ended his rationale with something very tongue-in-cheek. "We're also definitely superior to the peasant class and we needed to band together to keep them off our slightly scorched front lawns."

How all of this started

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
pretty funny tbh. dropped off the game about 6 months ago but i'd be in on the joke (as a "peasant") if i were still trucking along

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every new story of the rich vs the masses that has developed recently makes me want to play the game and roleplay with my fellow working class citizens.

But I know that's exactly what Bethesda wants, for players to market the title they've been fucking up left and right. And I'm not spending a single dollar. Waiting for it to go f2p before I remotely consider trying it.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Thats one of the most stupidest and dumb things i've ever heard in gaming. Superiority standards in game like that. Whats a shit game like Fallout 76 got to do with players having any sort of 'superiority' in them? Actually the ones who pay for microtransactions in that liquid garbage are the ones who are inferior to the ones not paying for that dumb crap.

Jul 24, 2018
giphy.gif

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think I'm good spending 20 dollars on a Dungeons and Dragons starter set.
I love "A book where you are the hero" it's just that video game RPG are in majority closer to that than what I am considering as tabletop RPG, an interaction between players inventiveness and a game master imagination. Something that MMOs or sandbox games can achieve better than usuals "branched dialogs/quests" games (that I enjoy too).

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thats one of the most stupidest and dumb things i've ever heard in gaming. Superiority standards in game like that. Whats a shit game like Fallout 76 got to do with players having any sort of 'superiority' in them? Actually the ones who pay for microtransactions in that liquid garbage are the ones who are inferior to the ones not paying for that dumb crap.
It's called role-playing and having fun mate. They don't literally think they're superior, they are having fun how they can and the previous development of the non subscription players ganging up on them sparked this. This isn't a statement on the quality of the game, but folks find ways to have fun where they want. It isn't harming anyone.

nerdv2

Apr 23, 2019
Oh yeah, I think this is brilliant.

Now I want to play Fallout 76 and start a revolution.