• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
b74.png

Holy shit.

You can now play Skyrim on a Fallout 76.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
So does this mean all the people who got made fun of for the reductive meme phrase "Skyrim with guns" were actually in the right all this time?

Sweet, sweet validation.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
It's basically a shell to front for the Atomic Shop. With paid mods and TESO having its overpriced crown store, Bethesda wanted to use that Fallout IP and get the MTs flowing.

The crown store in TESO is a joke, overpriced is understating it, but it scrapes by because the game is currently actually good (and fun).

I said it before. No one ever celebrates how fine tuned and optimized the MTX shop is in Fallout 76 and other GaaS.

They run perfectly fine from day one and show they were tested over and over again. And they are consistently updated and supported. Some of the best creativity in the industry is placed into the MTX in approach and interface.

It's almost like... that's where the priority is...

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I said it before. No one ever celebrates how fine tuned and optimized the MTX shop is in Fallout 76 and other GaaS.

They run perfectly fine from day one and show they were tested over and over again. And they are consistently updated and supported. Some of the best creativity in the industry is placed into the MTX in approach and interface.

It's almost like... that's where the priority is...

The Atom Shop doesn't always load first time, you have to back out and try again.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ya know, developers are almost always blameless. failures are usually due to a lack of time, resources, or guidance. if for some reason it does come down to a developer's skill or effort, that still falls on management, ie how are they allowing this to happen.

with that out of the way, when modders can make a better UI in a few days, when thoughtless solutions like VATS but no freeze are implemented, when you're copy pasting from the last 2 games, when mods like fallout: miami speak for the difficulty of landscape creation, when there are no human npcs to program, when server crashes are frequent...i truly have to wonder what exactly bethesda was doing for years? as a developer (but not a game developer), i cannot wrap my head around what it must be like to introduce bug after bug after bug and this is what i have to show after years. and what is going on that something as bad as real time VATS can be designed, developed, playtested, and most importantly approved by the higher ups to end up in the game.

this is not a "lazy devs", it's a whatthefuck is everyone doing at bethesda that this is the state of everything after years, and everyone includes the developers. im sure a game journalist will eventually cover this story and i cant wait.

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a Bethesda fan, Morrowind is my GOAT most days, and this whole thing is one of the most embarrassingly hilarious things I've seen in gaming in a while.

Fair or not the Mass Effect 3 uproar led to Andromeda being scrutinized and judged more harshly than it would have otherwise. Needless to say the wolves are going to be out in force for Starfield.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just watched the Angry Joe Review.
I knew whatever points he was throwing already ofcourse but still one point caught me off guard. Just how deep this rabbit shithole goes ?

The Nuke Codes are the same !??
Like holy shit this is somehow seemed more damaging to me than all the other shit. Just goes to show they literally put only 1% effort in all of this.

Bethesda needs to be taught a lesson on this.
Press the advantage !! Give them..No Quarter. (literally)

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
Just watched the Angry Joe Review.
I knew whatever points he was throwing already ofcourse but still one point caught me off guard. Just how deep this rabbit shithole goes ?

The Nuke Codes are the same !??
Like holy shit this is somehow seemed more damaging to me than all the other shit. Just goes to show they literally put only 1% effort in all of this.

Bethesda needs to be taught a lesson on this.
Press the advantage !! Give them..No Quarter. (literally)

I just saw that too. Fucking hilarious incompetence.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Just because a game is terrible doesn't mean the developers didn't work their asses off.

And it was a lot of wasted effort for sure. Even for some of their most respectable releases they cannot seem to avoid controversy and problems, namely Prey and Dishonored 2 being released with performance issues and long load times. Wolfenstein II released with broken encounters and obscene difficulty spikes which still persist presently. Their games typically are not marketed well, impressions are usually lukewarm or negative towards their games with DOOM having a lot negative reception before release (hilarious to think about).

Bethesda seems like a fucked up place to work and to work for looking at their portfolio this generation. Imagine having to work strenuous hours to make a game like Fallout 76.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Just because a game is terrible doesn't mean the developers didn't work their asses off.

From my work experience, the most work and stress is involved in projects that go wrong. I bet there have been so many huge problems that the devs were able to solve, that took a lot of time and effort. But that's nothing we see or are able to appreciate because the end product is disappointing.
And I don't believe that the management at Bethesda wanted this result or is happy with it. Something went south and they were just able to scratch something together.

Doesn't change the fact that it's a bad game though.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The meat of the game is solid and makes me feel really bad for the people who made it

At the very least the guys that built the map and made the audio/music put in some fucking work

If you "cant believe people would defend it" its because you arent giving a fair shake to what the game does right

Even if the cons are more numerous than the pros they still matter and in my eyes after putting tons of time in the game I have come to the conclusion that at the very least I hold the employees least at fault

The majority of this games problems can be directly tied to bad decisions made by those in charge.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made it about 30 seconds in, got to the point where he conflated this disaster with the Diablo Immortal BS and called 'the industry' hypocrites and that was it. This guy's shtick is ten a penny nowadays

Considering the piece Jason did for Kotaku about the madness inside Blizzard right now and issues with even Diablo employees being concerned, it's almost as if sometimes the players of these franchises, who've followed them for generations, can smell when blood is in the air. Or have the intuition to know when disappointment/bad design decisions are inbound.

There's only soo many times Todd Howard can get up and talk complete bullshit in order to try and whip up hype. It's the usual, the companies and corporations are "allowed" to whip up as much hype/emotional attachment as possible, as long as its positive, but if they get some egg on their face suddenly all negativity is entitlement and "gamers rise up".

Blanket calling everyone unhappy with Blizzard entitled didn't really work out well for some. Just as it wouldn't work out well here given the shit mountain Bethesda have created. This coming soo soon after the Diablo Immortal mismanagement and I can see why some are having a sarcastic jab at voices in the industry who are often quick to tell everyone to shutup if they're not being positive 24/7.

Last edited:

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the piece Jason did for Kotaku about the madness inside Blizzard right now and issues with even Diablo employees being concerned, it's almost as if sometimes the players of these franchises, who've followed them for generations, can smell when blood is in the air. Or have the intuition to know when disappointment/bad design decisions are inbound.

Blanket calling everyone unhappy with Blizzard entitled didn't really work out well for some. Just as it wouldn't work out well here given the shit mountain Bethesda have created.
That's not what he's saying, he's saying that the 'industry' is hypocritical for calling out Diablo fans for going hysterical because the game they were expecting wasn't announced when they give a pass to people who are pissed that the full priced game they bought is a massive pile of shite, barely functions and is loaded with microtransactions (as well as Bethesda's ridiculous response to the situation). It's just more of the nonsensical, childish 'gamers rise' bollocks infesting everything games discussion on the internet nowadays.

The 2 situations are non-comparable; one is of a company wildly misreading the market, the other is grounds for a potential consumer class-action lawsuit

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what he's saying, he's saying that the 'industry' is hypocritical for calling out Diablo fans for going hysterical because the game they were expecting wasn't announced when they give a pass to people who are pissed that the full priced game they bought is a massive pile of shite, barely functions and is loaded with microtransactions (as well as Bethesda's ridiculous response to the situation). It's just more of the nonsensical, childish 'gamers rise' bollocks infesting everything games discussion on the internet nowadays.

The 2 situations are non-comparable; one is of a company wildly misreading the market, the other is grounds for a potential consumer class-action lawsuit

And both are showing how corporations of this size handle PR/marketing and their own expectations. Bethesda are worse off than Blizzard, but both displayed an arrogance at a corporate level that is either genuine, in that the boardrooms are soo out of touch with reality, or they know what they are doing and don't care as long as $$$ is involved.

You've gone right to the "gamers rise up" nonsense again which is becoming the defacto deflection method to try and tone police disappointment, frustration or criticism of any multinational corporation who makes an objective or subjective mistake.

Oct 28, 2017
So I beat the "story" such as it is.
Yeah, this game is just bad. It sucks. I don't understand how anyone is defending anything about it.
Worst game released this year.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The majority of this games problems can be directly tied to bad decisions made by those in charge.

This is true almost every time. When people say a game is lazy they're not talking about the coders and the artists that work their asses off. They mean that the decision making or the design are lazy. This comes from the top, invariably.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am actually thrilled.

Old style AAA games is being challenged by competent indie and f2p games like Hollow Knight, Fortnite and Warframe.

They have to change the strategy and the result usually is more creative, intelligent and engaging games.
I think it's a bit silly to say AAA as a whole is stagnant and cynical. There are several fantastic AAA games every year.

If we're focusing on a certain strain of AAA that games such as Fallout or Mordor would fall into, then I'd also say they're not only challenged but obliterated by Celeste and Hollow Knight and so on. However I'm not sure that will matter to the publisher since people will still buy the Fallout game.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
This is true almost every time. When people say a game is lazy they're not talking about the coders and the artists that work their asses off. They mean that the decision making or the design are lazy. This comes from the top, invariably.

Ill tell you what I like about the design

I like the large map, I like the co op implementation. I like the loot, the combat, the perks and the base building.

There was potential here that I wish wasn't squandered. Hopefully once the dust settles they opt to focus on making whats good better instead of continuing to sabotage whatever is left in the game

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Wait.. so is the story worse than the main quest story of Fallout 4?

It's pretty bad. One part of the story involves a boss that only one person on the server is able to kill, leaving everyone else SOL (unable to finish the quest).

Ill tell you what I like about the design

I like the large map, I like the co op implementation. I like the loot, the combat, the perks and the base building.

There was potential here that I wish wasn't squandered. Hopefully once the dust settles they opt to focus on making whats good better instead of continuing to sabotage whatever is left in the game

The problem with the large map is that you can tell points of interest were kept to the main roads. Cranberry Bog is empty and lifeless, outside of Watoga and the occasional barn or shed. And by the time you reach it, loot like RadAway and orange canisters aren't interesting.

Oct 26, 2017
When even this guy doesn't like the game much.....

Well, let's just say that says a goddamn lot. He seriously questions how passionate BGS really was about making a mew Fallout game.

They can't possible fuck up this bad again. I refuse to believe this is what's coming for Starfield. When has a new BGS game received this much negativity from press and fans?

Makai

Oct 25, 2017
The meat of the game is solid

If you "cant believe people would defend it" its because you arent giving a fair shake to what the game does right
???

It's like you've never played another game to have context for how bad it is. This game did nothing right - you picked music as a competency area...they put beach boys in the 50s hits radio channel.

WesleyShark

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I can't defend the numerous bugs and other weird shenanigans going on in this game--it feels like they needed at least another 6 months of dev time. Almost makes me want to think they figured we'd do the QA testing for them on a launch product lol.

That being said--I can't freaking stop playing this game. I'm hooked and so are a ton of my friends and we're having a blast with it. Being able to fill a server with people you know is a grand time. There's also just something about exploring a Bethesda-made open world that sucks me in.

Looking forward to the patches and content to come. There's a decent game in here somewhere, amidst all the bugs and broken things.

lexible

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I hate to be 'that guy' but a 2/10 is really, really, really unfair. 2/10 is Big Rigs territory. This game for all its faults (and there are many) is NOT in Big Rigs territory.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to be 'that guy' but a 2/10 is really, really, really unfair. 2/10 is Big Rigs territory. This game for all its faults (and there are many) is NOT in Big Rigs territory.
They explain pretty well why they gave it that score. I have have multiple glitches that cause me to lose hours of playtime, I would give a game a low score like this too.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I release games that get worse and worse, will we be able to transform Fallout 76 into an 8/10 eventually?