• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Ok, so I've mostly defended this game. I've said people have gone overboard on the hate. I honestly love the game. And Bethesda has been one of my favorite developers despite all their games' flaws.

But, I will not defend this. I will be one of the mobs yelling at Bethesda over this. This is my number one rant about GTA V online and I really would hate to see Fallout 76 fall the same way. Because sure, it's just repair kits, you can still repair in game. But how long before guns break easily before you get to the next repair station (to the point you have a hard time keeping up enough materials to fix it unless you spend most your time farming) or finding the materials gets a whole lot harder. This is the kind of MTs I despite in games because they encourage the developer to unbalance the game to be just unfun enough (if they are doing things "right") to encourage people to pay to "fix the balance" (I say just unfun enough cause if they get too blatant people notice and get pissed off or the game is so unfun they don't see why tehy should keep playing at all).

Bethesda is breaking their promise (I know, the haters will say big surprise. And sadly, it's not surprising even if you don't dislike Bethesda, look at every other developer that has done cosmetic only MTs... it seems it never makes enough money sadly and they change their minds).

Edit, here's their announcement about it : https://bethesda.net/en/article/6eQ...0514=1&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Community

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda and Bioware have been in a race to the bottom lately. At least Morrowind will always be good.

BordyDogue

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Really looking forward to the "Those who complain about this probably haven't even bought the game" comments

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Eh? It's a waste of money for those who do it, repairing doesn't take much effort in game and items take a long time to break at all in the game. I wouldn't consider this anything but a waste of money, it doesn't really provide any advantage to a player

Resetta Stone

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, Arizona
This is them testing the waters with player feedback for new items/features in future updates and cynically making the Atom Shop more "viable". I am willing to put caps on them nerfing weapon condition through a stealth patch later on this week.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I can see the line being crossed you pointed out, but on the other hand, if you log in daily or do your weekly atom challenges, you are drowning in currency that's only useful for their godawful ugly cosmetics. When a store is full of sleeping bags and shit you will never see or use, the idea of spending some atom on something useful in a pinch is an attractive one.

As long as it's cheap, I'm talking like daily challenge reward level price, I can't be too mad.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Someone has to pay for the servers to stay on. The three players left best get together and figure out who is paying the rent this month.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Still a slow-motion disaster....
1523190216465031238.gif

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Well it makes sense to add this sort of thing after they have fixed all the issues in the game.....

Sorry still annoyed at BF Coins announcement .

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guess Bethesda wasn't happy with the report by Kotaku regarding Anthem so I guess they have to try their best to one up them again. LOL.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
I mean did you guys even read the article?
Basic Repair Kits will be unlockable in the Atomic Shop using Atoms you've purchased or those you've earned for free by completing in-game challenges.
IMPROVED REPAIR KITS
You can use Improved Repair Kits in all the same ways as Basic Repair Kits and they are also single-use consumables. However, Improved Kits buff the selected item's condition up to 150%, giving it an even longer lifespan against the trials of Wasteland combat.
Improved Repair Kits are rare items that we plan to award to you for free as you take on various types of in-game content. As an example, you will receive them as loot when you take down the Scorchbeast Queen.
you can buy the junk ones or get the better (unbuyable) ones for free from playing the game

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
RIP the old WRPG makers.

If you told me at Skyrim release that 7 years later the WRPG genre would be carried over by the guys from The Witcher and Ubisoft I'd bust out laughing.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean at this point it's likely going to do more good for Bethesda's bank account than harm. I feel like anyone who has tolerated this fiasco up until now is probably just going to accept it and the few who don't will be rare cases.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Too bad everyone's gonna shrug off this piece of shit when Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI release.

OP
OP
Tigress

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Eh? It's a waste of money for those who do it, repairing doesn't take much effort in game and items take a long time to break at all in the game. I wouldn't consider this anything but a waste of money, it doesn't really provide any advantage to a player

It doesn't matter if it is pay to win if it is pay to skip the grind. And I already pointed out how they can easily balance the game to make it more grindy (and less fun) in order to get you to pay to fix the game.

OP
OP
Tigress

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I mean did you guys even read the article?
you can buy the junk ones or get the better (unbuyable) ones for free from playing the game

*sigh* that doesn't change the fact you can buy them. And all they have to do is fix the drop rate so that they don't drop much. How many lunchboxes do you get in Fallout shelter after you have played the game a bit? Hint, they dwindle to a real rarity.

You're being really obtuse to not see how this can easily be abused to make the game more grindy. The problem is not that you have to pay for it, the problem is it is encouraging a model that the best way for them to make money is to make the game at least slightly not fun so you pay to fix the grind. How often will you get a repair kit? When do we see them rebalance the game so guns degrade so quickly you have a hard time keeping up with materials to fix without just continually farming (rather than playing the game) or alternatively materials to fix teh guns are really hard to find.

All you really have to do is look at GTA online and shark cards to see how this will affect the game badly. GTA online only started a little grindy (subtle enough most people didn't notice). Rockstar once they figured out that it works (and that people will be oblivious to how the game could have been better without shark cards) just kept making the game more and more grindy. Even encouraging griefing (ever notice they have sucky anti griefing measures in GTA? And even when they put in better ones that would totally have worked in GTA as well in RDR2 they didn't do the same thing in GTA? And that RDR only got them when they have a hard time getting people to play?).

It's incredibly short sighted to say that just cause you can get it in game means there is not a problem with it. Having to pay for them is not the issue at all... it's the fact that you can pay for them and what that means for game balancing in the future (how developers can use it to earn money). I don't begrudge bethesda making money, I begrudge them making money in a way that encourages them to make the game worse. Hell, I didn't even complain when they had one day only items, in fact I honestly hoped that would work for them to make money so they woudln't go this direction.

Last edited:

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
The 76 community isn't too pumped about this going off of reddit so I can't imagine this actually sticks.

See my reply above you. Yes, I knew you could also earn them. Thta really doesn't make it better.

It's not very apparent from your reactionary OP! Add some quotes.

BASIC REPAIR KITS
Basic Repair Kits are single-use consumables that immediately restore one of the items in your inventory to 100% condition. So long as you have a Repair Kit in your inventory, you can use it to fix up a piece of gear anytime, anywhere, and without spending any of your own crafting materials. Once you've got a Repair Kit, open your Pip-boy to find an item you want to repair, hit "Inspect", select the new "Repair Kit" option, and then leap right back into the action. You can also use Repair Kits at any workbench in your C.A.M.P., at Workshops, or those you find in the world.
Basic Repair Kits will be unlockable in the Atomic Shop using Atoms you've purchased or those you've earned for free by completing in-game challenges.

IMPROVED REPAIR KITS
You can use Improved Repair Kits in all the same ways as Basic Repair Kits and they are also single-use consumables. However, Improved Kits buff the selected item's condition up to 150%, giving it an even longer lifespan against the trials of Wasteland combat.
Improved Repair Kits are rare items that we plan to award to you for free as you take on various types of in-game content. As an example, you will receive them as loot when you take down the Scorchbeast Queen.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
*sigh* that doesn't change the fact you can buy them. And all they have to do is fix the drop rate so that they don't drop much. How many lunchboxes do you get in Fallout shelter after you have played the game a bit? Hint, they dwindle to a real rarity.

You're being really obtuse to not see how this can easily be abused to make the game more grindy. The problem is not that you have to pay for it, the problem is it is encouraging a model that the best way for them to make money is to make the game at least slightly not fun so you pay to fix the grind. How often will you get a repair kit? When do we see them rebalance the game so guns degrade so quickly you have a hard time keeping up with materials to fix without just continually farming (rather than playing the game) or alternatively materials to fix teh guns are really hard to find.

It's incredibly short sighted to say that just cause you can get it in game means there is not a problem with it. That's really not the problem.
This and it's a trojan horse they'll start doing it in their other games if they think they got away with it here.

Also given all the problems with the game and the piss poor launch the last thing they need to be doing is trying to gouge their remaining player base out of more money.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I dropped the game for Path of Exile before they started doing this but let me tell you, they really wanted to make sure I don't come back. It was bad enough how unbalanced and shitty the game ran before, but now with this they can just fuck off.

OP
OP
Tigress

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
The 76 community isn't too pumped about this going off of reddit so I can't imagine this actually sticks.

It's not very apparent from your reactionary OP! Add some quotes.

And yet you ignore my reasons why I dislike this. Whether they can be earned in game is a moot point. That's not the problem! Which is why I didn't focus on that. I focused on the fact they are offering non cosmetic items for buying in the atoms store.

OP
OP
Tigress

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I think this very well may be part of it, though I don't really mean that to denigrate those still sticking around. But like.. if you're still hanging in there, you'll probably put up with some real shit.

or maybe the other stuff didn't bother me much. I edited one of my replies to point out I hoped that the one day only items actually worked to make them enough money they'd be happy in order to stave them off from going this direction. Most of the complaints are stuff that doesn't bug me (honestly, if you dislike buggy games, why did you play any of Bethesda's other games? I like their games enough the bugs never really bugged me much. It is odd enough to me that it seems most people hating on it probably never liked their games anyways... if you like Bethesda games you are pretty tolerant of buggyness. And yes, some of us are as logn as the game is fun enough for us). The complaint I found the most valid was the canvas bag thing and honestly that honestly I think still was overblown more cause people wanted to hate on the game.

Believe it or not, some of us really do enjoy the game. And the reason I care about this is this is a direction I absolutely hate in any game and I actually do like the game and would hate to see this go further in this direction. I hope Bethesda gets enough outroar from the player base that they have to rethink this.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Having played the game at launch for something like 50 hours, that doesn't sound all that intrusive, even if they are breaking their promise.

OP
OP
Tigress

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Having played the game at launch for something like 50 hours, that doesn't sound all that intrusive, even if they are breaking their promise.

See my other replies to people why I dislike this. Hint: It has to do with how they will design/balance a game in order to get you to pay for these things. It encourages "bad" game design (on purpose in order tog et you to pay to fix the game).

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
See my other replies to people why I dislike this. Hint: It has to do with how they will design/balance a game in order to get you to pay for these things. It encourages "bad" game design (on purpose in order tog et you to pay to fix the game).
That goes for most non-cosmetic MTX unfortunately. It sounds like you're worried about potential balance changes rather than the current balance. Do you still play these days?

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they are testing the waters for adding other things later. Definitely not a good sign for the overall health of the game.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda, you just earned a bunch of goodwill by announcing your games we're still coming to Steam, why did you want to throw it away immediately? They seriously need to hire someone that will tell them, "No one wants that, and you're going to be ripped to shreds on the internet over this." every time they make a boneheaded decision with this game.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
How anyone can be excited for Starfield or TES VI is beyond me. If this were Morrowind-era Bethesda? Sure, let's get hyped. But modern day Bethesda can fuck right off.

May 1, 2018
They just can't get anything right in this game. It gives me 0 faith in Starfield and TES6. It hurts all their other studios too, because people simply say that "Bethesda" is bad when really it's just been the mediocre work and bug riddled launches of games from Bethesda Game Studios for years and years now. All of their other studios have to take the hate on the chin when they are doing good work.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
At this point they might as well milk this game for every penny. It's already branded a cynical cash grab, so what do they have to lose? Microtransactions will fund future DLC, which will hopefully be available in an offline, fully modded environment one day.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
That's microtransactions for ya. Studios will push the boundary a little bit at a time until things like this become normal.