• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
www.famitsu.com

2022年間ゲームソフト売上ランキング&ハード販売台数を発表。1位は『ポケモンSV』。2位に『スプラトゥーン3』、3位に『アルセウス』 | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

2022年の国内家庭用ゲームソフト(パッケージ版のみ)と家庭用ゲーム機の売上速報をまとめて、ランキングなどを発表する。
Without the numbers of the last week of december
The size of the domestic home video game market in 2022 (over-the-counter sales) is 374.8 billion yen.
In the software ranking, "Pocket Monster Scarlet Violet" won the first place with over 4 million copies.
Second place "Splatoon 3" also has a pace that greatly surpasses the previous work. Four months after its release, the package version alone achieved triple million sales.
The general game information media "Famitsu" has compiled preliminary sales figures for domestic home video game software (package version only) and hardware for 2022. The aggregation period is from December 27, 2021 to December 25, 2022.

Domestic home video game market in 2022

In 2022, the size of the home video game market for over-the-counter and mail-order sales is 209.78 billion yen, 103.4% year-on-year for hardware, and 165.04 billion yen for software, 104.1% year-on-year, for a total of 374.82 billion yen, 103.7% year-on-year. increase. Until the previous year, there was concern about a backlash due to the impact of stay-at-home consumption. The market size of the top of the annual software ranking is "Pocket Monster Scarlet Violet" (Pokemon / released on November 18, 2022 / Switch), which is the latest work in the series for the first time in three years. The annual sales volume is 4.339 million units, and the number is growing at a pace that greatly exceeds the annual sales volume of 2.988 million units recorded in 2019 by the previous work " Pocket Monster Sword Shield " (Pokemon / released on November 15, 2019 / Switch). increase. Second place was "Splatoon 3" (Nintendo / released on September 9, 2022 / Switch), which sold 3.688 million units, and this also exceeded the number of sales of the previous work.
In the hardware market, although there was a global shortage of semiconductors for main products and the aftereffects of supply chain turmoil, the market gradually recovered towards the end of the year. In terms of annual unit sales, Nintendo Switch has been the top seller for the sixth consecutive year, with a total of 4.805 million units sold for the three models. In addition, the PlayStation 5 sold 1.154 million units and the Xbox Series X|S sold 270,000 units, respectively, surpassing the previous year's results, and attention is likely to be focused on further expansion in the future.

The software market in 2023 will be " The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom " (Nintendo / scheduled to be released on May 12, 2023 / Switch) and " Final Fantasy XVI " (Square Enix / scheduled to be released on June 22, 2023). / PS5) are scheduled to appear, and further excitement in the home video game market is expected.

Software (only physical):
1- [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet – 4,338,931 / 4,338,931
2- [NSW] Splatoon 3 – 3,687,814 / 3,687,814
2- [NSW] Pokemon Legends: Arceus – 2,314,806 / 2,314,806
3- [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land – 969,047 / 969,047
5- [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 887,722 / 887,722

6- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 742,018 / 5,014,375
7- [NSW] Minecraft – 548,415 / 2,960,006
8- [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 485,594 / 1,114,132
9- [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 441,053 / 5,065,191
10- [PS4] Elden Ring – 356,711 / 356,711

Hadware:
This yearLTD
Nintendo switch4,804,54927,724,047
Playstation 51,154,0542,377,389
Xbox Series X/S269,737398,395
Playstation 422,8239,417,767
Nintendo 3DS10,44924,597,897

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
The software sells is the true tell of a viable market and the ps5 is saying absolutely nothing.

Not chirping nor tweeting just silent and reeking.

Sony needs to do something more than what they have.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Kneel.
share-tw.jpg

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Arceus would have sold more if it wasn't sandwiched between BD/SP and S/V

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Damn, the Switch was so close to 5 million. Still great numbers, though. And the PS5 is showing solid sales, too. Hopefully that latter eventually translates to software sales, which seems to be where the PS5 is lagging behind over in Japan.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Switch missed 5M by 200k. Dang

Lots of ps5s, no ps5 games

Is there a top 100 list for the year? Top 10 makes it hard to parse software-wise since Switch has >10x the install base vs PS5. Along with the split between PS4 and PS5 titles compared to Switch as a single SKU for software.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 3 breaking the all-time Japan debut sales record, only for Pokémon SV to break it again a mere few months later, is still peak sales insanity.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
Is there a top 100 list for the year? Top 10 makes it hard to parse software-wise since Switch has >10x the install base vs PS5. Along with the split between PS4 and PS5 titles compared to Switch as a single SKU for software.
There are even top 1,000 lists but I think that comes out later in the year. Just so you know, there are usally 1 PS5 game in the top 30 weekly lists (because of bundles), sometimes there are 2, so don't expect massive numbers for any PS5 games and no, digital cannot explain it.

Oct 27, 2017
I continue to think a series s portable would clean up globally and open Xbox to near PS5 numbers in Japan. At least 500k+ a year

Idk if they can do it on 5nm but maybe if it is iPad size (10 inch), switches the 2GB OS RAM to LP and uses a smaller SSD. (Not ideal but what you gonna do)

Oct 25, 2017
There are even top 1,000 lists but I think that comes out later in the year. Just so you know, there are usally 1 PS5 game in the top 30 weekly lists (because of bundles), sometimes there are 2, so don't expect massive numbers for any PS5 games and no, digital cannot explain it.

That's not that surprising if Switch is 10x the install base

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
we have top 500(or 1000 i dont remember) at around june, but considering the weekly top 30 this year dont expect many ps5 titles
Wonder if Japan's PS5 users are opting for digital since this report tracks physical games only.
from what we know about digital games from past repots ps5 digital isnt that high either

Dec 2, 2020
People should remember that although PS5 has been supply constrained so has Switch at certain times throughout the year.

Selling almost 5 million consoles in year five of a console is absolutely silly and they could have been closer to 6 million with no shortages.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
What is the reason home console market for Sony in Japan has declined so much this generation? The software sales for PS5 are pathethic. Other than creating a switch-like hybrid machine I don't know how they'll ever pull the numbers Nintendo routinely gets in Japan.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Wow, what a difference one generation makes. From Sony being in control of Japan in the PS2 and 3 generation to Nintendo absolutely dominating like it was back in the NES era. Seems to me that going the Hybrid route did wonders for Nintendo. They were already selling decently in Japan with there portable only machines (GBA, DS, 3DS), but the hybrid model took them to new heights. Hoping Sony somewhat changes there model for Japan next gen in some way. Also I know Phil Spencer is trying very hard for more Xbox sales in Japan. That's all he can do is keep trying and never throw in the towel.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I still don't understand how MC and Famitsu numbers differ so much for Xbox (nor why Famitsu are wrong and MC are right?). That's an enormous difference.

Nevertheless, still pretty decent numbers for Xbox this year, even with the pretty noticeable slowdown at the end of the year. 10-25% of PS5 sales this year? Surprising.

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, what a difference one generation makes. From Sony being in control of Japan in the PS2 and 3 generation to Nintendo absolutely dominating like it was back in the NES era. Seems to me that going the Hybrid route did wonders for Nintendo. They were already selling decently in Japan with there portable only machines (GBA, DS, 3DS), but the hybrid model took them to new heights. Hoping Sony somewhat changes there model for Japan next gen in some way. Also I know Phil Spencer is trying very hard for more Xbox sales in Japan. That's all he can do is keep trying and never throw in the towel.
Sony hardware has been in decline for several generations, and PS3 hardware didn't fare much better than PS4 IRRC.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
That's not that surprising if Switch is 10x the install base
The PS5 has one of the worst physical software attach rates for any system ever. Digital sales taking over is definitely part of the picture but it isn't the whole picture considering the Switch still is breaking records with physical sales.

Ironically, I think the Series S/X probably is the only system worse but that is because publishers are not actually putting out physical games in Japan on those systems.

Oct 27, 2017
I continue to think a series s portable would clean up globally and open Xbox to near PS5 numbers in Japan. At least 500k+ a year

Idk if they can do it on 5nm but maybe if it is iPad size (10 inch), switches the 2GB OS RAM to LP and uses a smaller SSD. (Not ideal but what you gonna do)
A Series S portable isn't possible anytime soon, and certainly not without an ARM chip, which means it'd be incompatible without games being ported to it

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Not buying all the no digital talk unless I'm reading the report from Sony earlier in year wrong. Report below released highlights Japan buys the highest disc rate but still shows a higher digital purchase for full games than EU. This doesn't means games would be charting but sales are happening probably at a higher level than ever before with digital and it's not as bleak as people think.

www.resetera.com

Playstation shares worldwide userbase data at CEDEC 2022 (Physical/Digital Sales, Playtime, Trophy Percents, and more per region)

All credits to @Genki_JPN on Twitter, I'm just formatting the data to fit better into ResetEra instead of posting a bunch of tweets that duplicate each other. In a year US users play the most amount of titles on average! Japan users play the least number of titles! US - 10.7 titles EU - 9.6...

Asia in general shows high for digital.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I love Nintendo games but honestly I wish Japan software sales were more varied. Most top/huge sellers nowadays are the family friendly games from Nintendo. They deserve the sales because they are great but it is kind of sad how everything else has declined a lot sales wise (with a few exceptions of course)

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
jesus christ. the 3ds is doing awful over there. what the hell is nintendo doing?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 has one of the worst physical software attach rates for any system ever. Digital sales taking over is definitely part of the picture but it isn't the whole picture considering the Switch still is breaking records with physical sales.

Ironically, I think the Series S/X probably is the only system worse but that is because publishers are not actually putting out physical games in Japan on those systems.
There's also not really a good reason to assume that PS5's digital rates are way higher than what we see on Switch and PS4. Even if we argue Switch's more limited storage means it might have lower (but the games are also smaller and we know digital rates on Switch are pretty high by all accounts so I'm not sure if this is actually true) the PS4 should still be comparable

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Impressed with the Switch's momentum.

I bought like two games for it last year, and have one on my list for this year. The software hasn't been great for me overall, but I think it is great hardware.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
What is the reason home console market for Sony in Japan has declined so much this generation? The software sales for PS5 are pathethic. Other than creating a switch-like hybrid machine I don't know how they'll ever pull the numbers Nintendo routinely gets in Japan.
the culmination of decisions that had been having an effect for a long time.

Sony being in control of Japan in the PS2 and 3 generation

This didn't happen.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I still don't understand how MC and Famitsu numbers differ so much for Xbox (nor why Famitsu are wrong and MC are right?). That's an enormous difference.

Nevertheless, still pretty decent numbers for Xbox this year, even with the pretty noticeable slowdown at the end of the year. 10-25% of PS5 sales this year? Surprising.

We know that Nintendo shipped 2.6M Switch between January and September.

For that same period Famitsu has Switch selling ~3.3M.

Even if you account for some remaining stock from the previous year, that's a big difference. That somehow keeps getting larger every quarter despite Switch suffering from stock issues throughout the year.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Nintendo games but honestly I wish Japan software sales were more varied. Most top/huge sellers nowadays are the family friendly games from Nintendo. They deserve the sales because they are great but it is kind of sad how everything else has declined a lot sales wise (with a few exceptions of course)
that's what happens when you don't make games appealing to the region. it's not like non-family friendly games don't sell, what's made doesn't appeal to them outside a select few like Elden Ring or Ghost of Tsushima

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
We know that Nintendo shipped 2.6M Switch between January and September.

For that same period Famitsu has Switch selling ~3.3M.

Even if you account for some remaining stock from the previous year, that's a big difference. That somehow keeps getting larger every quarter despite Switch suffering from stock issues throughout the year.
Interesting, thanks. So you're saying that Media Create's Switch numbers match up with Nintendo's own numbers (?), whereas Famitsu's numbers are significantly over. So, we assume that there's just something fundamentally wrong with Famitsu's methodology that applies across all products, including Xbox. Have there been any discussions or explanations from Famitsu on why this is? And that certainly wouldn't explain why Xbox would be even more overcounted. Do we know anything about the methodology used by Nintendo, MC, and Famitsu?

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting, thanks. So you're saying that Media Create's Switch numbers match up with Nintendo's own numbers (?), whereas Famitsu's numbers are significantly over. So, we assume that there's just something fundamentally wrong with Famitsu's methodology that applies across all products, including Xbox. Have there been any discussions or explanations from Famitsu on why this is? And that certainly wouldn't explain why Xbox would be even more overcounted. Do we know anything about the methodology used by Nintendo, MC, and Famitsu?

Media Create numbers are much closer to Nintendo's, yeah. There's like a 400k difference between MC and Famitsu.

Xbox situation is just weird. Especially considering its sales fell a lot in the last weeks/month(s) despite being no stock issues for Series S.

I have no clue about MC/Famitsu methodology and I don't know if that info is even available.

Mad Gamer 64

Nov 6, 2017
If those Xbox numbers are even close to accurate then that's actually not too shabby. Especially compared to how dire the Xbox One was at this point a few years ago. It would be nice to have some actual continued momentum for them in Japan, as someone who mostly buys things on Xbox when possible but also likes a lot of Japanese games that tend to skip the platform.