• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Trivia link: https://s.famitsu.com/news/201810/21165694.html?page=2

Sales link: https://s.famitsu.com/news/201810/21165560.html

Note: Everything is Google translated and interpreted.

Today marks the 20th anniversary of the Gameboy Color. Released on October 21st, 1998 in Japan. It had a suggested retail price of 8900 yen (excluding tax).

I'm not listing all the trivia so go to the link to see the rest.

Number 2: From this webpage: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/nom/9902/a_box/index.html

It lists the popularity of GBC hardware colour schemes.

1st: Clear Purple
5bbef91e72fe8.jpg

2nd: Clear
5bbef91e82dcf.jpg

3rd: Blue
5bbef91de7730.jpg

4th: Purple
5bbef91e7ace7.jpg

5th: Yellow
5bbef91e6c4c1.jpg

6th: Red
5bbef91e8aace.jpg

Former Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi initially proposed that clear purple should be the main GBC hardware colour.

Number 6: The size of the original Gameboy is [height 148 × width 90 × depth 32 mm] and the Gameboy Color is【height 133.5 × width 78 × depth 27.4 mm]

The original Gameboy weighed 220 grams, increased to 320 grams when 4 AA batteries were inserted.
While the GBC was 138 grams and increased to 188 grams when 2 AA batteries were inserted. (Assuming AA batteries weighed 25 grams each)

Here is a lineup of all the Gameboy models, from left to right is: Gameboy, Gameboy (Hardware colour variation), Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Light, Gameboy Color.
5bbf07550db49.jpg

5bbef91e4c6b7.jpg

Number 8:
It was possible to fight against other players, exchange data, receive data from the maker, via the mobile GB adapter of the peripheral connected to the mobile phone . Corresponding games are " Mobile Golf ", " Pocket Monster Crystal Version ", " Game Boy Wars 3", etc.

5bbef91df1f24.jpg

5bbef91e3c0ff.jpg

In "Game Boy Wars 3", 50 special maps, including mercenary units, were acquired via mobile adapter GB.
(c) 2001 HUDSON SOFT (c) 1990 Nintendo

Number 9: There were many limited edition GBC models, a few are listed below.

- In commemoration of the release of Sakura Wars GB commemorative version
" Sakura Wars GB ", the body of pink which imaged " Sakura Wars " was released.

· Jusco Original Mario Version
To celebrate the 30th anniversary of Jusco's founding, it was released in Jusco throughout the country.

· Pokemon center 3rd anniversary version
" Korokoro comic " when you apply, you can purchase at the Pokemon Center.

· Daiei version
was released at the Fukuoka Daiei Hawks' Japan Series Winning Memorial Sale.

5bbef91e50535.jpg

"Sakura Taisen GB Memorial Version
(C) SEGA (C) MEDIA FACTORY 2000"

Number 10:

Other products that released in 1998:

5bbef91e12505.jpg

Pocket Camera (Nintendo / released February 21, 1998)
A game that provided fun of playing with the camera before monochrome, before the mobile phone.

5bbef91e2d69e.jpg

Pocket Pikachu (Nintendo / released on March 27, 1998)
Portable mini game machine with pedometer built in. I get on well with Pikachu in the number of steps I walked.
(C) 1998 Nintendo. (C) 1995 Nintendo / Creatures inc./GAME FREAK inc.

5bbef91e18e83.jpg

Game Boy Light (Nintendo / released on April 14, 1998)
Adopted LCD with backlight. I could play even in a dark place.

5bbef91dd36dd.jpg

Neo Geo Pocket (SNK / released on October 28, 1998)
SNK released a handheld game machine. It was monochrome, but after six months Neo Geo Pocket Color was released.

5bbef91e34bce.jpg

Dreamcast (SEGA Games / released November 27, 1998)
Household game machine released by Sega (now · Sega Games). It was an advanced and high-performance Sega-like machine such as installing an analog modem for Internet communication.

Number 11:
Gameboy ROM cartridges were basic colours but after the GBC released, games compatible with the original Gameboy had a black cart while GBC exclusive titles were clear.

The lack of a dent in the GBC exclusive titles were to prevent them being inserted into an original Gameboy since a "stopper" comes out of the Gameboy going into the space of the dent when you turn it on.

5bbef91e64586.jpg

Number 12:
A soft plastic case made of transparent plastic containing ROM cartridge that was included in software for Game Boy. This was changed to a plastic bag with Game Boy Color special software. The trays in the package also changed from plastics to paper, and it changed to ecological specifications.
5bbef91e60706.jpg

5bbef91e38666.jpg

Number 13:

There was a rewritable cartridge called Nintendo Power(which was in the form of SFC and GB carts) you could take to a Lawson convenience store to have games put into it such as Super Mario Brothers Deluxe and Balloon Fight GB.

5bbef91e0b7a5.jpg

5bbef91e31138.jpg

Number 14:

GBC was the first hardware to receive software from rival Sega. Sega released spinoffs of the Sakura Taisen series on GBC listed below.

5bbef91de09cd.jpg

"Sakura Taisen GB 檄 · Hana "
(C) SEGA (c) MEDIA FACTORY 2000

5bbef91de407d.jpg

"Sakura Taisen GB 2 Thunderbolt Operation"
(c) SEGA

Number 15:
The Gameboy Color had games that made use of the infrared port as an input.
Gameboy color In the infrared communication port at the top of the main body, you can receive infrared rays emitted by remote control such as TV and air conditioner as well as battle and data exchange between Game Boy Colors. " Phantom Sonar " converts received infrared rays into a riddle, and in " Shin Megami Tensei Devil Children White Book " it was used to unite an ancestor and made a rare devil.

5bbef91e080f4.jpg

5bbef91e7eb66.jpg

"Phantom Sonner"
SHO-PRO · TV TOKYO (c) 2000 SMDE (c) 2000 Nintendo

Number 17:
The first 1st party and third party games that released exclusively for GBC.

<1st party>
Mario Golf GB
Nintendo / released on August 10, 1999

<Third party>
Top gear · Pocket
Kemuko / released on April 23, 1999

Number 19:

The last GBC software released from first and third party.

<1st party>
Mobile Golf + Mobile Adapter GB set
Nintendo / released on May 11, 2001

<Third party>
Doraemon's Study Boy ~ Kanji Yomakaki Master ~
Shogakkan / released on July 18, 2003

Number 20:

What is the highest and lowest point software in Famitsu cross review?

<Highest score>
Shiren of the Wonderland Shiren GB 2 ~ Desert Magus ~
Spike · Chunsoft / released on July 19, 2001
38 points (10 points, 9 points, 9 points, 10 points)

<Lowest score>
All Japan Shonen Soccer Tournament Aiming for Japan!
Success /
14 points released on 7th September 2001 (4 points, 3 points, 4 points, 3 points)

5bbef91e58621.jpg

Shiren of the Wonderland Shiren GB 2 ~ Magic of the Desert ~
(c) Spike Chunsoft / Koichi Koyama

Now for the sales data.

Here are the best selling GBC games in Japan courtesy of Game Data Library: (The Famitsu link has more pictures and what the games retailed at.)

DpWozMZWsAAPVj_

Ricky64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Not surprised at Yu-Gi-Oh! taking first spot, all Book-Offs in Japan are filled with those 98 yen carts.
Still, great console, I had transparent purple and my brother had lime green (which is maybe an EU only colour?)

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Wouldn't have guess Yugioh outsold Crystal version, I wonder if it being a third revision of a game already played has something to do with it.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Are you taking the piss? Where's the lime green one?!

Getting this with Pokémon Red is one of my best childhood memories.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
yugioh was 3 games and came with a god damn egyptian god card in the box

still huge numbers

gbc too good

KamiCrit

Oct 27, 2017
Western Canada
Still got my solid purple one. Played so much Wario Land 3 on it. Lucky to still have pokemon silver kicking around, although the internal battery is dead. Gotta bust out the iron.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Wouldn't have guess Yugioh outsold Crystal version, I wonder if it being a third revision of a game already played has something to do with it.
All third versions (along with Black 2/White 2 and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon) sold significantly worse than the preceding pair of games.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I still really love the aesthetic of GBC games. They do lo-fi pixel art really well, even better than the best NES games due to the wider color palette and lack of flickering/slowdown.

300x.jpg

396764-warioland3.png

67611-Kirby_Tilt_'n'_Tumble_(USA)-1454912393.jpg

Also I had a see-through purple GBC back in the day, I loved it back then but I think it's by far the worst looking model now. The plain colored ones all look super good.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow, a exclusive top gear gbc game? Interesting...

Anyway, man, those were sexy hardware back in the day. But i don't really reacal ever seing the red version live before...

Hope they do a classic of this one.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I remember having a purple GBC. So many good times with that little thing. Pokemon Gold and Link's Awakening DX were my most played.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Dandelion is the best color. I bought a boxed one for about $74 off of ebay a few years back but sold it a few months later for a small profit.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Good thread OP. I had the clear purple as well but also later had the blue and yellow pikachu one (anyone else?)

And hell yeah glad to see Kirby Tilt n Tumble on that topselling list, I loved that game, even the clear pink cartridge was beautiful

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Number 14:

GBC was the first hardware to receive software from rival Sega. Sega released spinoffs of the Sakura Taisen series on GBC listed below.

5bbef91de09cd.jpg

"Sakura Taisen GB 檄 · Hana "
(C) SEGA (c) MEDIA FACTORY 2000

5bbef91de407d.jpg

"Sakura Taisen GB 2 Thunderbolt Operation"
(c) SEGA
Sega licensed their IP a lot early on.
Altered Beast, Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone, Alien Syndrome and After Burner all appeared on Famicom.
Also PC Engine saw a lot of Sega gamesported to it (9 in total).
There was even a period for which SegaSoft (owned by Sega at the time Sega was competing with PlayStation) was planning to release games on PS1.
The first Sega IP to appear on a non-Sega console officially outside Japan after the Mega Drive was Sonic Pocket Adventure on Neo Geo Pocket in 1999.

spa.jpg

s-l640.jpg

als.jpg

jyuuouki-altered-beast.jpeg

after-burner_.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Sega licensed their IP a lot early on.
Altered Beast, Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone and After Burner all appeared on Famicom.
Also PC Engine saw a lot of Sega gamesported to it (9 in total).
There was even a period for which SegaSoft (owned by Sega at the time Sega was competing with PlayStation) was planning to release games on PS1.
The first Sega IP to appear on a non-Sega console officially outside Japan was Sonic Pocket Adventure on Neo Geo Pocket in 1999.

I misread the translation then and ignored this part because of the grammar:
Sega released the software for the first time to other companies' hardware Mobile games machine

So it was probably referring to handhelds specifically but it doesn't sound like a big deal when they brought Sega games to other home consoles earlier.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I misread the translation then and ignored this part because of the grammar:

So it was probably referring to handhelds specifically but it doesn't sound like a big deal when they brought Sega games to other home consoles earlier.
That's strange too.
Sonic Pocket Adventure predates Sakura Wars GB.
Even more strange is that there were already some Sega licensed IP Game Boy games released in 1990 (Head on, Penguin Land).
So probably a mistake on Famitsu part, I suppose.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I think these were developed by Nintendo, oddly, so it might explain a bit why they were probably higher quality and sold more.
I really loved that game when i was young but i gave the game away and can't replay it . Too bad its not on DS VC .... :(

All the Hamtaro games were great. Nintendo should really have bought the Ip or something, those games are effortlessly charming.