• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we're looking at a cheap ripoff of the characters either way. Why bother using the MCU at all then? Why not use Marvel cartoons? Why does it have to be awkward uncanny valley Chris Pratt voiced by some charmless anime dork?

Same as any other world, because the developers of the game like the franchise and pushed for its inclusion or thought it would make for a good addition. Also the whole thing is kind of a trend-setter in cinema with a likely high in interest coming later this year as the old guard starts passing the baton, so that helps.

Who would you suggest is a villain that would actually be worth including in a Kingdom Hearts world? Keep in mind that their actor is likely either too expensive or too busy to reprise the role. You think Malekith is worth it? How about the oh-so-charismatic and well-written Ronan the Accuser?

You say that like Disney villains haven't been treated like jokes after the first game, like how they turned Maleficent into a weird Team Rocket-esque figure or stuff like this:

The average Marvel villain would fit right in.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's been regularly stated in reviews for years now that the villains are always the weakest part of the Marvel films, with Loki being the primary standout and apparently the villain from Black Panther also being a surprising departure from the norm.

Who would you suggest is a villain that would actually be worth including in a Kingdom Hearts world? Keep in mind that their actor is likely either too expensive or too busy to reprise the role. You think Malekith is worth it? How about the oh-so-charismatic and well-written Ronan the Accuser?

I would assume that if they were to do something based on The Avengers, the characters would be modeled more after the comic versions than the movie versions. I don't see that being too much of an issue at all.

But honestly, I think Guardians is more likely than Avengers because of how different the world would be. Avengers could look too similar to Big Hero 6's setting, depending on where it goes. And while Ronan isn't a great villain, Ego is considered to be a very solid villain. The final fight in Guardians 2 be great translated into KH.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Weak villains haven't been a thing in most MCU movies in, like, 3 or 4 years.

Then give an example of one who would work as the villain of a KH world without their actor. None of them are written well, none of them have interesting motivations. They're sold entirely on the backs of the actors who play them.

But honestly, I think Guardians is more likely than Avengers because of how different the world would be. Avengers could look too similar to Big Hero 6's setting, depending on where it goes. And while Ronan isn't a great villain, Ego is considered to be a very solid villain. The final fight in Guardians 2 be great translated into KH.

Eh...Ego would be hard. They can't do Guardians 2 without all the setup that went into Guardians 1. It wouldn't make sense. "Oh hi my name's Star-Lord and this is my dad."

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Then give an example of one who would work as the villain of a KH world without their actor. None of them are written well, none of them have interesting motivations. They're sold entirely on the backs of the actors who play them.

Eh...Ego would be hard. They can't do Guardians 2 without all the setup that went into Guardians 1. It wouldn't make sense. "Oh hi my name's Star-Lord and this is my dad."
Hela would be really easy to turn into a KH villain. Vulture would work as a somewhat sympathetic villain whose heart falls into darkness when he goes too far with his shindig. Ultron could work. Just make him sense darkness and then be all "everyone's heart is filled with darkness, just waiting to cause suffering, I must destroy everyone". Ego is easy. Black Panther is ripe with characters who could be corrupted by the darkness. You're making this sound harder than it is.

Anyway, it doesn't have to literally be the MCU versions. But it's likely they'd choose an MCU Marvel IP for promotional reasons rather than characters who aren't in the MCU.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hela would be really easy to turn into a KH villain. Vulture would work as a somewhat sympathetic villain whose heart falls into darkness when he goes too far with his shindig. Ultron could work. Just make him sense darkness and then be all "everyone's heart is filled with darkness, just waiting to cause suffering, I must destroy everyone". Ego is easy. Black Panther is ripe with characters who could be corrupted by the darkness. You're making this sound harder than it is.

Anyway, it doesn't have to literally be the MCU versions. But it's likely they'd choose an MCU Marvel IP for promotional reasons rather than characters who aren't in the MCU.

This stuff is hard. It's not as simple as "this is popular, let's just put it in". One thing to keep in mind is that as a KH game, this stuff has to be set up so that it can work for someone who hasn't seen these movies. Especially for Japanese audiences. Assuming that Japanese gamers will have seen all three Thor movies is a bit odd, especially considering some of these movies would've come out while the bulk of development was being done. A lot of them wouldn't even know who Hela is, and she's not exactly a good character on her own aside from Blanchett's scenery-chewing.

Keep this in mind as well: the only MCU films that would've been known at the time this game was in development and worlds were being selected would be stuff like Iron Man 2/3 and Winter Soldier. If we're talking post-reboot KH4 and onward, you could make the argument for the later Marvel movies, but you'd STILL need to do all the work of setting up the characters. You wouldn't just skip to the second or third movie in the series, and you wouldn't do an adaptation of an Avengers movie because you'd have to include ALL of those characters without any setup and none of them would be utilized well.

Otherwise, why not just use Marvel cartoons as the basis? The art style would fit better and you wouldn't have to worry about actor/likeness desynchronization.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

It also doesn't have to be the MCU, you know. They could easily do a Marvel world based more on the comics books. The Savage Land, for example. Guardians but with a different bad guy. Etc.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
This stuff is hard. It's not as simple as "this is popular, let's just put it in". One thing to keep in mind is that as a KH game, this stuff has to be set up so that it can work for someone who hasn't seen these movies. Especially for Japanese audiences. Assuming that Japanese gamers will have seen all three Thor movies is a bit odd, especially considering some of these movies would've come out while the bulk of development was being done. A lot of them wouldn't even know who Hela is, and she's not exactly a good character on her own aside from Blanchett's scenery-chewing.

Keep this in mind as well: the only MCU films that would've been known at the time this game was in development and worlds were being selected would be stuff like Iron Man 2/3 and Winter Soldier. If we're talking post-reboot KH4 and onward, you could make the argument for the later Marvel movies, but you'd STILL need to do all the work of setting up the characters. You wouldn't just skip to the second or third movie in the series, and you wouldn't do an adaptation of an Avengers movie because you'd have to include ALL of those characters without any setup and none of them would be utilized well.

Otherwise, why not just use Marvel cartoons as the basis? The art style would fit better and you wouldn't have to worry about actor/likeness desynchronization.
You're setting way higher requirements for Marvel villains that KH villains haven't had so far. We jump into many stories half-way through with very little setup.

And read my post again. I already said they don't have to literally do the MCU versions, just that a potential "main" Marvel world would likely focus on IPs that are in the MCU for promotional reasons. I also didn't say anything about KHIII having a Marvel property other than BH6. Just that they could easily twist many villains who have been in the MCU to fit a KH like story about darkness corrupting or being controlled by villains. If/when Marvel is introduced to KH, be that KHIV or XX.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You're setting way higher requirements for Marvel villains that KH villains haven't had so far. We jump into many stories half-way through with very little setup.

And read my post again. I already said they don't have to literally do the MCU versions, just that a potential "main" Marvel world would likely focus on IPs that are in the MCU for promotional reasons. I also didn't say anything about KHIII having a Marvel property other than BH6. Just that they could easily twist many villains who have been in the MCU to fit a KH like story about darkness corrupting or being controlled by villains. If/when Marvel is introduced to KH, be that KHIV or XX.

I mean, this really begs the big question, right? Would it be a "Marvel World" or a "Spiderman" world, or a "Thor 3: Ragnarok" world? Would they just use Marvel as an unifying world or would each character get their own little planet? The KH cosmology would make that difficult. Honestly, to some degree, it almost feels like the interconnectivity between the Marvel universe (and I mean that in general, not specifically the MCU) would be a detriment rather than a strength.

It would almost work better if it was JUST a Marvel crossover game and not trying to manage Marvel and Disney AND Final Fantasy AND the original Square Enix characters. Like if they did a KH spinoff that focused entirely on Marvel IP.

Supreme Leader Galahad

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The Pirates world was harmed greatly by none of the actors reprising their roles. The whole thing felt kind of pointless when it was just a bunch of generic anime voice actors playing Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley and Geoffrey Rush. The same problem happened with the Grid in KH3D - why include that world at all if none of the actors wanted to bother?

Recasting an animated character's voice because the original actor is dead is one thing. But having digital versions of the actual Jeff Bridges or Johnny Depp in the game and then having them be voiced by some random guy? Why bother? Those characters are loved because of the performances that made them.

And like I said, if they tried to do an MCU world, they'd have ot make it super specific, and then everybody would just bitch that their favorite character wasn't the one picked. Big Hero 6 allows them to have a Marvel world without all the "WHY ISN'T CAP/IRON MAN/SPIDEY/THOR/etc IN IT!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?" screaming that would inevitably come from them being forced to pick one Marvel character to focus on.
I think youre getting way too pessimistic, you should calm down, no one is going to care which heroes show up, is KH were used to not having what we want and not having original voice actor. Japanese all the way btw.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, this really begs the big question, right? Would it be a "Marvel World" or a "Spiderman" world, or a "Thor 3: Ragnarok" world? Would they just use Marvel as an unifying world or would each character get their own little planet? The KH cosmology would make that difficult. Honestly, to some degree, it almost feels like the interconnectivity between the Marvel universe (and I mean that in general, not specifically the MCU) would be a detriment rather than a strength.

It would almost work better if it was JUST a Marvel crossover game and not trying to manage Marvel and Disney AND Final Fantasy AND the original Square Enix characters. Like if they did a KH spinoff that focused entirely on Marvel IP.
Again you are overthinking and complicating matters. They don't have to have dozens of characters whose stories are connected in some deep, complicated manner in several worlds. Have two or three characters who make sense together in one or two worlds. No need for a Marvel focused game. The worlds can just be Wakanda world and Ego world.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Again you are overthinking and complicating matters. They don't have to have dozens of characters whose stories are connected in some deep, complicated manner in several worlds. Have two or three characters who make sense together in one or two worlds. No need for a Marvel focused game. The worlds can just be Wakanda world and Ego world.

They're not going to "just" do it, though, that's the thing. These games take years to plan out in advance and even more time to develop. They're not going to "just" pick some random MCU movies and make them standalone worlds. By the time said hypothetical game comes out, those individual movies will be irrelevant and probably have one if not two sequels under their belts.

It's a waste of the IP and it's a waste of a very finite number of playable worlds to do that. If you want a bunch of Marvel worlds, a spinoff where they're all fragments of a bigger world is a better idea, that way you can actually have the characters cross over and they don't end up steamrolling the Disney portion of the game.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
All this Marvel talk in a thread that isn't really about Marvel... okay.

I'm very interested in the Pudding Heartless. I wonder what kinds of fruit they will have and what rewards they will bring. Maybe this is Nomura's way to paying homage to Shadow of the Colossus but with delicious dessert Heartless.

Also I'm glad they're changing up the Gummi Ship. It is so confusing how things all work and connect for it in KH1. I only gave it a proper go in 2013 after being terrified of it after accidentally deleting parts of the ship with no idea how to put them back on in 2004.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
They're not going to "just" do it, though, that's the thing. These games take years to plan out in advance and even more time to develop. They're not going to "just" pick some random MCU movies and make them standalone worlds. By the time said hypothetical game comes out, those individual movies will be irrelevant and probably have one if not two sequels under their belts.

It's a waste of the IP and it's a waste of a very finite number of playable worlds to do that. If you want a bunch of Marvel worlds, a spinoff where they're all fragments of a bigger world is a better idea, that way you can actually have the characters cross over and they don't end up steamrolling the Disney portion of the game.
Of course things will require effort to actually make happen and they won't pick the IPs willynilly, but you're making a huge issue where there is none (assuming they get the ok to use Marvel IPs at some point, which of course is not simple). The Marvel world CAN "just" be Wakanda world with Black Panther and his posse. It doesn't have to have 15 hours of prologue explaining the characters, villains and setting and they don't have to make Kingdom Hearts: Marvel Only Edition like you keep insisting just to have one or two Marvel worlds.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I like revisiting some worlds. Like, it can be fun to go back to an earlier world and unlock new things/find new secrets/see new story stuff, but doing it in every world like in KH1 was kind of ridiculous.

Make world revisits important and valuable and it's fine.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I'm amazed that given the world leak which has now even been confirmed by Monsters Inc's announcement people are still clinging to the Marvel & Star Wars stuff. People need to let that one go for this game. The absolute maximum that's going to happen is maybe an easter egg like a lightsaber weapon or Cap's shield for Donald, but the timing looks like it simply does not add up for full worlds...

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's only ever truly been one proper water level. Don't think you've got much to be afraid on that front.
Must be because I've played all the remixes I just have haunting memories of it, it's just so bad.

We don't know for sure yet. Hold on before you get ducktrolled. :(
If there's a water level I'm coming for you. (hopefully it'll be on rails as I see that they're using that system a bunch) :D

I'm amazed that given the world leak which has now even been confirmed by Monsters Inc's announcement people are still clinging to the Marvel & Star Wars stuff. People need to let that one go for this game. The absolute maximum that's going to happen is maybe an easter egg like a lightsaber weapon or Cap's shield for Donald, but the timing looks like it simply does not add up for full worlds...

Agree it would probably delay the game another 5 years, depends on the stance on DLC....

We could get a world from that but doubt levels are extremely high.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Star Wars or Marvel (that isn't BH6) will be in KHIII. As far as my Marvel posts go, I'm just speaking about it in a hypothetical sense.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry but could you link me to this leak? Haven't been following KHIII so closely so I must have missed it

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
That LSI stuff really looks unique. Gives me that unique vibes on gaming like Cuphead did.

100% certain Marvel and Star wars stuff isn't here. This KH is all finally including Pixar movies in the series.

And since this is the end of the Xehanort Saga the next Kh will be a brand new story.
Adding Marvel/Star Wars property there makes too much sense since it would help make the new story feel even more fresh and like a brand new start for the KH games.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but could you link me to this leak? Haven't been following KHIII so closely so I must have missed it
While nothing on the level of the Monsters Inc images, it was just a bunch of file names which confirmed a few worlds. The files came from a public FTP server from an external contractor hired by Square Enix for the game.

There were reference pictures from Frozen, including Arendelle and the frozen lake at the climax of the film.

Aside from that there were assets for the 100 Acre Wood, Radiant Garden, Disney Castle, and what is most likely the Land of Departure.

The files are considered legit because of the Monsters Inc stuff, as well as some of the Tangled file names, including stuff about a swamp, which was seen in the trailer where Sora performs a Shot Lock against Nobodies (this area was only seen in the film for like 10 seconds, where Mother Gothel enlists the help of the two Bandits going after Flynn).

These files do not leak every single world, as there were no files for Big Hero 6, Twilight Town, or Yen Sid's Tower - all which are confirmed to be in the game so there's still more surprises out there.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
While nothing on the level of the Monsters Inc images, it was just a bunch of file names which confirmed a few worlds. The files came from a public FTP server from an external contractor hired by Square Enix for the game.

There were reference pictures from Frozen, including Arendelle and the frozen lake at the climax of the film.

Aside from that there were assets for the 100 Acre Wood, Radiant Garden, Disney Castle, and what is most likely the Land of Departure.

The files are considered legit because of the Monsters Inc stuff, as well as some of the Tangled file names, including stuff about a swamp, which was seen in the trailer where Sora performs a Shot Lock against Nobodies (this area was only seen in the film for like 10 seconds, where Mother Gothel enlists the help of the two Bandits going after Flynn).

These files do not leak every single world, as there were no files for Big Hero 6, Twilight Town, or Yen Sid's Tower - all which are confirmed to be in the game so there's still more surprises out there.
Nice, thanks!

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this looks amazing. I secretly hope this is like Timeless River from KH2.
Same, that world was so fuckin good.
Cool tidbits and info btw i seriously cannot wait this is my most anticipated game ever alongside these Splatoon 2, Oddysey, Zelda BotW, Spiderman, Dark Souls Remaster and Red Dead 2.

Habimaru

Oct 29, 2017

And they don't mean those are playable worlds, as we could find Disney Castle or Radiant Garden in Dream Drop Distance via cutscenes

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
And they don't mean those are playable worlds, as we could find Disney Castle or Radiant Garden in Dream Drop Distance via cutscenes
I think
100 Acre Woods having assets means that Radiant Garden
will be playable. It would be insane to not have that world be playable again, especially with all the characters in it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
EDIT: Here's a look at Giantland.
DVt7_6PWAAAW6K-.jpg

OK that's fucking great. :D

s y

Nov 8, 2017
If the situation command system worked similar to Monster Hunter's long sword spirit gauge then that would be cool. Only the finisher in a combo would add a notch to the situation command activation.

edit: my bad, should have posted in the community thread instead of bumping this.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018

You basically have 3 options.
1. Loki - just set it on asguard. Although he is a bit of a malificent redux. The "brothers/family" imagery works well as a link to the Sora/Rikku relationship
2. Ultron- Killer Robot created by Ansem to destroy the darkness backfires and tries to destroy everything
3. Red Scull - having an Uncharted esque train sequence set in WW2 while teaming up with Cap, Bucky and Peggy could be fun. Avoids most of the MCU but obviously hints at whats comming.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Star Wars is not happening and BH6 is your Marvel world, why can't you guys get this through your heads?