• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the OP probably didn't know about Famitsu's digital sales methodology.
I'm prety sure the OP knows exactly what they are, he's not someone who doesn't come into MC threads. I still don't understand why he went ahead and posted this though after the previous mod warning about Famitsu numbers

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These numbers are almost certainly not accurate and the thread is not conducive to positive discussion as a result. I thought we banned Chartz for similar guesswork that leads to similar results?

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Did MHW not release on PC in Japan?
Since the OP only says PS4.

I don't expect that to be huge numbers, but given how massive the game is and the fact that larger games like PUBG had non-negligible Japanese presence back when we had data on such things I guess it could be six figures.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Smash is crazy especially that it's less then a month.

I need to try MHW as it looks good

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did MHW not release on PC in Japan?
Since the OP only says PS4.

I don't expect that to be huge numbers, but given how massive the game is and the fact that larger games like PUBG had non-negligible Japanese presence back when we had data on such things I guess it could be six figures.

I believe it was PS4 only in Japan. Capcom didn't even release the XBO version despite releasing the XBO SKUs for their other games.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Good for the Famitsu random number generator...

I guess?

It's pretty amazing that somehow they lost 500K Smash sales with their methodology
Why are you comparing sell-in numbers with sell-through numbers?
Digital sales might be higher than what Famitsu estimates but it's not like there were zero copies on storeshelves especially since the game sold 267.432 copies the week after.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
well deserved. god, when i moved and was having no internet yet i just fucking played this game non stop. so goooooooooooooood

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Damn Smash is a beast! in less than a month, on one platform, almost dethroned the best selling game of the YEAR.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
The open hostility against VGChartz is funny, seeing as how this community started with the fallout from GAF. After Aqua got her account closed, she posted in the chartz forums quite a bit and many NPD discussions stemmed from that. Zhuge also posted there after his ban iirc. I'm not saying their posted numbers are reliable at all, but the negativity is a bit over the top.

It didn't have it even in 2018 lol

We don't know for sure either way.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The open hostility against VGChartz is funny, seeing as how this community started with the fallout from GAF. After Aqua got her account closed, she posted in the chartz forums quite a bit and many NPD discussions stemmed from that. Zhuge also posted there after his ban iirc. I'm not saying their posted numbers are reliable at all, but the negativity is a bit over the top.
Well, people aren't deriding the community, they are deriding the numbers. I don't know the community, but I don't see a reason to dislike/deride them, but the numbers are useless, regardless.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you comparing sell-in numbers with sell-through numbers?
Digital sales might be higher than what Famitsu estimates but it's not like there were zero copies on storeshelves especially since the game sold 267.432 copies the week after.

These are retail sell through numbers + extremely poor polling data derived numbers. Famitsu digital estimates are trash.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of anything, Smash's performance was much, much more impressive. Like holy fucking shit more impressive.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can see the dark intentions behind this thread. Mods should close it.

Anyways, congrats to both Smash and MHW (and the other games in the list) for their great sales.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
MHW may have indeed outsold Smash in 2018 (it's likely close either way) but please don't use these numbers as a source. They are based on surveys sent to their regular readers and have proven time and again to not be an accurate assessment of the market.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
VGChartz actually started on NeoGAF because the founder, ioi, decided that Famitsu/Media-Create/NPD were all under-tracking sales due to a supposed systematic error with their sampling, point of sale, and extrapolation methods. They started producing their own numbers that "corrected" this issue and started advertising their site in those old threads on NeoGAF before getting banned and fully expanding upon the concept.

The issue is that there is no rational methodology behind the numbers produced and shown initially. Then the numbers get updated without documentation to make them look more accurate in retrospect once shipment data and official tracker data is known. It is skeezy and inaccurate.

I don't know much about the community, but they do prop up bad data, so I don't really appreciate that.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
This has nothing to do with reliable vs unreliable. Read the previous replies before butting in.
Of course it has. Sell-in data from Nintendo is reliable

Sell through data including digital from Famitsu isn't. You butted in calling someone's data incorrect because it's sell-in versus the fantasical numbers presented here.

There's a reason those numbers are banned in MC threads which you know perfectly well anyway but you had to make a point about Nintendo's numbers in order to discredit their use now, didn't you?

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Title needs a change since Smash is several hundred thousand copies ahead of MHW, in less than two months no less lol.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
This has nothing to do with reliable vs unreliable. Read the previous replies before butting in.
A few things... in this case, there are pretty much two fairways of comparing the numbers.

1. Shipment data vs. shipment data
2. Physical retail sales vs. physical retail sales

Since we don't have option 1 because Capcom doesn't provide shipments for just Japan, that is not a viable option. You brought up the point that Smash sold 200k+ the following week, which is true and that 200k+ is probably factored into Nintendo's shipped number. It would still be more than the number there for Monster Hunter. It would be close though. The conclusion from it is that since we don't have reliable digital sales or reliable head to head shipment numbers, we revert to option 2.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
VGChartz actually started on NeoGAF because the founder, ioi, decided that Famitsu/Media-Create/NPD were all under-tracking sales due to a supposed systematic error with their sampling, point of sale, and extrapolation methods. They started producing their own numbers that "corrected" this issue and started advertising their site in those old threads on NeoGAF before getting banned and fully expanding upon the concept.

The issue is that there is no rational methodology behind the numbers produced and shown initially. Then the numbers get updated without documentation to make them look more accurate in retrospect once shipment data and official tracker data is known. It is skeezy and inaccurate.

I don't know much about the community, but they do prop up bad data, so I don't really appreciate that.

Believe me, I don't care for their BS either, but the am I unt of hostility is a little overblown IMO.

Title needs a change since Smash is several hundred thousand copies ahead of MHW, in less than two months no less lol.

We don't actually know this for sure though. There don't seem to be reliable digital numbers anywhere, so the ones for MHW could be undersold just like the Smash ones.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Of course it has. Sell-in data from Nintendo is reliable

Sell through data including digital from Famitsu isn't. You butted in calling someone's data incorrect because it's sell-in versus the fantasical numbers presented here.

There's a reason those numbers are banned in MC threads which you know perfectly well anyway but you had to make a point about Nintendo's numbers in order to discredit their use now, didn't you?
You really don't understand so I'll explain.
The person I replied to compared a sell-in number by Nintendo of 3.17m (which of course is accurate, who said differently?) to a sell-through estimate by Famitsu of 2,669,884 and then said "It's pretty amazing that somehow they lost 500K Smash sales with their methodology". The person implied that Famitsu wrongly missed 500k of sales even though Famitsu reports sell-through numbers and not sell-in numbers. The sell-in number by Nintendo includes every copies shipped to retailers or on store shelves on December 31st and that obviously wasn't zero. So no Famitsu did not "lose 500K Smash sales with their methodology".

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
A few things... in this case, there are pretty much two fairways of comparing the numbers.

1. Shipment data vs. shipment data
2. Physical retail sales vs. physical retail sales

Since we don't have option 1 because Capcom doesn't provide shipments for just Japan, that is not a viable option. You brought up the point that Smash sold 200k+ the following week, which is true and that 200k+ is probably factored into Nintendo's shipped number. It would still be more than the number there for Monster Hunter. It would be close though. The conclusion from it is that since we don't have reliable digital sales or reliable head to head shipment numbers, we revert to option 2.
Which is why is asked "Why are you comparing sell-in numbers with sell-through numbers?".

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Which is why is asked "Why are you comparing sell-in numbers with sell-through numbers?".

We shouldn't be. I don't think there is any directly comparable data available so at this time a factual conclusion as to which sold better in 2018 is impossible.

Famitsu's Data cannot be proven true. Nintendo'd data is true but isn't sell through.

Obviously Smash has outsold MHW at this point so I am not sure why we are splitting hairs about 2018.

This thread should probably not have been made until we had facts to go with it.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The person I replied to compared a sell-in number by Nintendo of 3.17m (which of course is accurate, who said differently?) to a sell-through estimate by Famitsu of 2,669,884 and then said "It's pretty amazing that somehow they lost 500K Smash sales with their methodology". The person implied that Famitsu wrongly missed 500k of sales even though Famitsu reports sell-through numbers and not sell-in numbers. The sell-in number by Nintendo includes every copies shipped to retailers or on store shelves on December 31st and that obviously wasn't zero. So no Famitsu did not "lose 500K Smash sales with their methodology".
We know all of that and yet the only tangible number for 2018 that we have is Nintendo's. Otherwise it's MC/Dengeki/Famitsu retail sales which showed Smash handily outsell MHW.

In other words, the thread premise is wrong, the conclusions are wrong and this is one pointless thread about numbers that have been explicitly banned and your nitpicking over Nintendo's numbers when you've been using famitsu's digital numbers in the past and even gave them a free pass because "it'S better than no numbers" fools no one here.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
We know all of that and yet the only tangible number for 2018 that we have is Nintendo's. Otherwise it's MC/Dengeki/Famitsu retail sales which showed Smash handily outsell MHW.

In other words, the thread premise is wrong, the conclusions are wrong and this is one pointless thread about numbers that have been explicitly banned and your nitpicking over Nintendo's numbers when you've been using famitsu's digital numbers in the past and even gave them a free pass because "it'S better than no numbers" fools no one here.
So it's cRiMiNAl to post Famitsu digital estimates but it's all right to compare sell-in numbers to sell-through numbers? I think you're the one not fooling anyone here.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
So it's cRiMiNAl to post Famitsu digital estimates but it's all right to compare sell-in numbers to sell-through numbers? I think you're the one not fooling anyone here.

Sell-in numbers to sell-through numbers should not be directly compared. Nor should Famitsu digital estimates. But again it's all moot. Smash outsold MHW by a large and growing margin. What it sold in 2018 (a few weeks in for Smash, 11 months in for MHW) which isn't even a financial year, only exists for console wars brownie points. Again, MHW may have indeed outsold Smash in 2018 but we can't, at this time, know for sure and it's not very important.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

Wow, never knew that. That's just crazy.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

This guy knows his shit.