• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
When these polls will be done again in years and results will still include FF XV people will still say "recency bias". If that is true why didn't they include DQ XI? Or Persona 5?

Same happens with BOTW, many simply cannot accept that it left a huge mark in Zelda series and it was almost universally beloved.

I think this list is good because it has the best Metal Gear (3),the best Suikoden (II) and the best Kingdom Hearts (1).

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Diamond and Pearl? They almost put me off the series forever. Luckily Black and White were a huge improvement and kept me back in the game.

Opinions are opinions, but this is one of the rare occasions I really question the taste of those who voted.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Pokémon gen 1 as the best Pokémon entry. No lie detected.

Glad to see Splatoon 2 making the cut, this game is criminally underrated in the west.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
For context, if we go to their top 100 games of all time list from 2017, this is the (extremely recent-bias) top 20:

a03UyQg.jpg

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When these polls will be done again in years and results will still include FF XV people will still say "recency bias". Honestly if that was true why didn't they include DQ XI? Or Persona 5?

Same happens with BOTW, many simply cannot accept that is left a huge mark in Zelda series and it was almost universally beloved.

XV's inclusion frankly confuses me too, but yes, people definitely love dismissing stuff with recency bias

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Given that Okami is not a game that sold that well in Japan (as far as I remember), its being no. 5 shows this poll is not close to representative of Japanese gamers' opinion, just the opinion of those 7000 that participated in the poll.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Are Famitsu readers representative of general japanese gamers? I thought stuffs like Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing and Yokai Watch are fairly big deal there. Yet there are hardly represented in the list here.
Of course not. If Famitsu voters are representative of general Japanese market, Mother 3 (a regular in their most wanted list) would have been the best selling game of all time in Japan.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Decent list, but with some seriously strange omissions, especially from Japan. Good games all around, but no Street Fighter anything? It was only one of the biggest games everywhere in the early 90s and responsible for modern fighting games in general. #2 and #3 are extremely suspect too and seems more like recency bias than anything relating to longevity. FFXV existing at all on the list is a pretty large red flag too.

Last edited:

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Not a bad list. Only two I would probably punt off the list would be Kingdom Hearts and FFXV.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
The hell is Vainglory.

"Wikipedia" said:
Vainglory is a video game developed and published by Super Evil Megacorp for iOS, Android and PC. The game is a version of the MOBA genre
What.

"Wikipedia" said:
The game uses two main in-game currencies for in-app purchases: Glory can be earned through normal play and completing missions, and ICE (Immensely Concentrated Evil) can be purchased with real-world money.
Haha thats kinda cute.

"Wikipedia" said:
In February 2012, game developer veterans from Rockstar, Riot, Blizzard, and Insomniac founded Super Evil Megacorp in San Mateo, California to make a multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game for tablet devices, and thus began development on their first game, Vainglory.[4] Apple chose the game to demonstrate the graphics capabilities of their iPhone 6 and Metal graphics API at the iPhone 6's announcement event.

... dang didn't realize how big and prestigious this was. Never heard anyone talk about it.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
FF15 making the list... yessss. It makes me happy that so many FF fans love it that much. Top 3 are all awesome games that deserve the high placement. Suikoden 2 and Xenogears made it as well, yeah really can't hate this list.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
FFXV is one of the best selling games of a popular franchise, You'd think people would stop being surprised at FFXV showing up in these types of popularity polls but apparently not.