• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
The Common Experience of "Classic Games"

—For this feature, we've gathered three figures, each born in the year 1970, to speak with us today. Thank you for coming.

Ueda: In this industry, wouldn't it be harder to find game designers who weren't born in the 1970s?

Sakurai: Mr. Ueda, you started out working at Warp, right? The founder of that company, Mr. Kenji Eno (known for the 'D' series. Passed away in 2013), was also born the same year as us. There are others too, like Mr. Tetsuya Nomura from Square Enix, so even if you're just naming creators born in the 1970s, it's kind of interesting. I think it was a period of substantial growth for gaming, so much so that you'd think everyone in that generation played games as a kid. There are a ton of series that first came out back then and are still around today, aren't there? During our boyhood years, we were caught in a whirlpool of innovative new IP that kept coming out, title after title, and I believe that greatly altered our paths in life.

Kamiya: In the games Konami was making for the NES back in those days, the cartridges came with a special chip installed onboard that would supplement the abilities of the main console. That let them do things like animate large characters, and they had excellent sound quality. Even that small bit of forward progress felt like a dream at the time.

Ueda: I was extremely charmed by the games themselves during that era, though computer technology was also making progress at the same time, so I felt a lot of surprise while also having fun.

Read the rest here: https://sourcegaming.info/2018/02/08/new-years-discussion-with-sakurai-ueda-and-kamiya/ (just following their reposting guidelines)

Quite an interesting read... also confirmation that Kamiya is working on a new project which is not Bayonetta 3. Lock if old.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Great read, it was nice to know their thoughts on the small things they like in development. Thank you for sharing.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
3 of the goats. Looking forward to whatever they're working on. Kamiyas qiot has me curious and I love that Ueda hopes to reveal something in 2018.

My only wish is Sakurai doing something other than Smash.

OP
OP
Zoantharia

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
3 of the goats. Looking forward to whatever they're working on. Kamiyas qiot has me curious and I love that Ueda hopes to reveal something in 2018.

My only wish is Sakurai doing something other than Smash.
Same! I was waiting for Sakurai to touch on his new project as I read the interview and sadly he never really did... though it does seem that he has trouble letting go of Smash entirely. When he was talking about his "client" there's no doubt he was talking about Nintendo and Smash. I have a feeling he's in a supervisory role for that rumored Smash 4.5 for Switch Emily was telling us about. But at the same time we do know he's working on something new and I'm really looking forward to hearing more about that.

Oct 27, 2017
Sakurai was born in 1970?! He looks so young.
52IifMy.jpg

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the important part.

Kamiya: Well if we're on the topic of health, I'd like to try a little bit harder to stick to my diet. As for games, like Mr. Sakurai said before, years are nothing but a measure of time. Regarding what I'm working on, I can't reveal any details yet, but we did announce a new entry in a series I've worked on before, Bayonetta 3, so this year I'd like to really make everyone think, "Man, this guy sure does make some games"(laughs).

So what is Mr. Kamiya working on??

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyable read, I wish we got more interviews like this. It was something I really enjoyed about Iwata Asks, getting a few long time developers in a room together to just talk about stuff.

Sir Mervyn

Nov 7, 2017
Man, Sakurai and Kamiya always seem to understand each other well. I hope one day they team up for developing a game.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Sakurai: I landed jumping heavy punches, uppercuts, Hien Shippuus and Zanretsukens**, defeating my opponent with ease, and when I happened to peek at who was playing on the other side of the cabinet, I saw a girl…

Ueda: A little girl?

Sakurai: It was a girl there with her boyfriend. I thought, "Ahh, I really screwed up." In this happy place, I just showed her how harsh games can be. What was I to do? After she lost, her boyfriend took her place, but… well, he was weak. After that, I vowed to always check my opponent first whenever barging into someone's game at the arcade** (laughs).

Kamiya: If it was me in that situation, that would've filled me with a rush of excitement. I would have completely destroyed them—they wouldn't have even gotten near me (laughs).

Never change Kamiya

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kamiya: "I'd like to really make everyone think, 'Man, this guy sure does make some games' "

We already do Kamiya, we already do.

And Ueda is getting close to announcing his next project? FINALLY. I'm starving for more content.

Deleted member 15933

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It really puts things into perspective that these guys were directing some of the most legendary games in their 20s. Games whose impact is still felt to this day.

Im guessing Kamiya is directing Wonderful 102, Sakurai is working on something besides Smash (like Kid Icarus Uprising in between Brawl and Smash 4) and Ueda is making a beautiful new experience.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
could anyone copy the text of the interview here ?

All I get is
Error establishing a database connection

when clicking on the link :(

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn seeing someone talking about Kenji Eno and Warp makes me sad here.T_T He is so talented there. Why must he goes so early.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
I think that was expected since he doesn't like working on sequels

Very interested in his new project, and I wonder why he thinks it may not be successful..

He doesn't dislike sequels, it's just that there've always been circumstances that prevent him from working on them himself.

Resident Evil 2 - DMC was supposed to be RE4.
Devil May Cry - DMC2 was made by another team without his knowledge.
Viewtiful Joe - He actually did write the story for 2 and Double Trouble, but didn't direct either because he was busy with Okami. VJ3 never happened because Clover shut down.
Okami - Clover was shut down and he left Capcom.
Bayonetta - Busy working on Wonderful 101 when it started development. He wrote the story and acted as supervisor for Bayonetta 2.

He's even said that he'd love to make sequels for all of his games if he'd get the chance, and has plenty of ideas for them. Okami ended with a sequel hook and Viewtiful Joe was clearly supposed to be a trilogy.

Furisco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was great.

I love the fact that you can see Kamiya being a shit talker even on this interview.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought you guys knew that whenever someone trips in brawl, Sakurai gets an extra year of life.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately the link seems to be down for me. Did Ueda-san have any opinions on the Bluepoint remake of Shadow of the Colossus?