• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
Quote comes from a recent Famitsu interview, translation comes from a Siliconera article:

www.famitsu.com

【PS5】PS4の互換性率は99%! 転売対策もアリ? SIE社長 ジム・ライアン氏にプレイステーション5についてインタビュー | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

発売日や値段も公開されたプレイステーション5(PS5)について、SIE社長 ジム・ライアン氏にインタビュー。
www.siliconera.com

Jim Ryan Confirmed PS5 Won't Have Compatibility With PS3 and Older Games

In a Japanese interview with Famitsu, SIE CEO Jim Ryan confirmed that PS5 won't have backwards compatibility with PS3 and older games.

Famitsu: We were also surprised when we heard that it will have 99% compatibility with PS4 titles. By the way, will there be compatibility with PS1, PS2, and PS3 titles?

Jim Ryan: We keep in mind the engineering specialized for the PS5, as we produced the device. In the midst of that, the PS4 already has 100 million players; we thought they ought to want to play PS4 titles on the PS5 as well indeed, so we included compatibility with the PS4. While implementing that, we also focused our efforts on taking in the high-speed SSD and the new controller DualSense at the same time. So, unfortunately, we couldn't reach the implementation of such compatibilities.

I know that there were a lot of rumors about Sony implementing this, so I figured this deserved a thread.

Chuck795

May 7, 2020
Anyone who thought there would be was really fooling themselves. Nice to finally have it out there in the open now though

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Boo! At least bring back the PS1 and PS2 Classics already available on PSN. :(

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
"Why would anyone want to play those" -jim ryan

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Duh

I have no clue why anyone would expect it when it was obvious it wasn't happening

Agni

Banned
Jun 10, 2020
Wouldn't PS1 and PS2 emulation be possible now? What's the hold-up I ask thee?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This sounds more like "No BC until we can figure out the best way to monetize it."

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
God, why do I still need to have my PS3 hooked up. I would've paid more for a BC PS5.

Tryxx

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As much as I prefer PlayStation exclusives man Xbox and their consumer friendly approach recently has been itching me more and more.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
I would just buy an HD system with a harddrive that allows you to play disc versions or download ps1 through 3 games

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
In related news, 2020 is shit!

Since I have more digital PS4 games, I'm up for BC starting there. Hopefully on PS6 we will get PS4 and PS5 BC.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I have hundreds of PS1 and PS2 games but nothing to play them on lol

I know I could always look for something on eBay or whatever, but I'd rather spend that money on something I can rely on.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Pretty much cements my decision for buying third party games on xbox. I hope they don't abandon ps4 eventually.