• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Source: Gematsu

Senran Kagura creator Kenichiro Takaki, formerly of Marvelous, has officially started work at the Cygames as the general manager of its Console Games Division, and is underway on an action game with Senran Kagura character designer Nan Yaegashi

Some key points that were translated from the article are:
  • The Console Games Division at Cygames was established on April 1. Takaki was appointed the general manager of said division.
  • The Console Games Division main office is still small with only around 10 members. The development teams for each title are under the division.
  • Takaki's newest game is an action game with character designer Nan Yaegashi. It is not supposed to be a "sexy" game though. (The magazine includes the reveal of a male character.) It might have sexy elements in the end, but they want to include more male characters than female characters.
Here's apparently an image of the male character design for the new game:
r8xTeDV.jpg

In previous news of his leaving Marvelous and being hired at CyGames, he discussed the idea he wanted to work on:
Takaki has been with Marvelous for 13 years, and leaves them to join Cygames with a mind to fulfill an idea for a fantasy game similar to titles he loved as a child. He is currently working on at least one console title with the company.

Twinfinite seems to elaborate more on the "Sexy" statement in their report:
Today we get the reveal of the illustration by Yaegashi-sensei of a character who will appear in the new game, and it's a male character. You can see it at the bottom of the post. Takaki-san also reveals that it's not a sexy game like the Seran Kagura series. He has thought for a long time that Yaegashi-sensei's male characters were cool, which is why he decided to ask him to work together again.
Of course, cute female characters will also be included, but this time around Takaki-san would like to have more males than females. That being said, he recognizes that his fans know him as the "Big Boobs Producer" so the game might end up having sexy aspects anyway. Yet, he would like to emphasize that in a new way, drawing out the charm of each character instead of simply having the whole attention focused on their chests.

Will be interesting to see what console game this will turn out to be and what platforms it will target. Being backed by CyGames should mean it has a good budget behind it too.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
The only mobile game company I like because they're investing in AAA console games, I hope this pays off for them!

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Bold choice...

Though they may be making a powerplay with the 3 GranBlue games coming out. If those are all successful, I could see them leaving those anime titty games behind.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well RIP Senran Kagura I guess. We'll never get that supposed 7th game.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
>allegedly not sexy
>MC looking exactly like a Castlevania Judgment take on Richter Belmont

you get to pick one

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow, that this needs to be clarified, it's kinda hilarious lol
Lack of word space in thread title, but it sounds to me basically as opposed to SK he's not specifically starting out by saying "this game is going to be pure sexy", but rather, "if sexy elements are added, then that's secondary". At least that's what I get from this:
That being said, he recognizes that his fans know him as the "Big Boobs Producer" so the game might end up having sexy aspects anyway. Yet, he would like to emphasize that in a new way, drawing out the charm of each character instead of simply having the whole attention focused on their chests.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I am gonna copy my post from the other thread

Kinda disappointed that it won't be a title focused on female characters. With Nan Yaegashi doing character designs again it would have been cool to have his designs in an a game centered around female characters where fanservice isn't much of a focus this time and the designs don't go as far as some of the SK designs.

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
So does this move quality as a big promotion for him?
Depends what he was looking for. I mean, CyGames is clearly a much much larger company than Marvelous. And he's managing the entire console game roster it would seem. Whether that's ideal for him though personally (as opposed to singularly focusing on one game) is up to him.

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I am gonna copy my post from the other thread

Kinda disappointed that it won't be a title focused on female characters. With Nan Yaegashi doing character designs again it would have been cool to have his designs in an a game centered around female characters where fanservice isn't much of a focus this time and the designs don't go as far as some of the SK designs.
I assume you mean focused on exclusively female characters like the SK series? Since he does say there will be female characters, though just more male characters this time around.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
I assume you mean focused on exclusively female characters like the SK series? Since he does say there will be female characters, though just more male characters this time around.

Yeah exclusively or atleast focused on female characters with a female main character. Now it will most likely just be the usual shounen anime split with the focus being on the male mc and important characters all male etc. with maybe 1 or 2 relevant female characters and a side character here and there

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
My bet is this gonna be another another Uppers situation where the fanservice is still in but not targeted towards the main characters. I expect a hot springs bonding event or similar to be in this game.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Which to be fair, has significant amounts of anime life and hometown.

While true, it's not the crux of that game. They're doing better than most on that front when it comes to gatcha.

But yes, it's certainly a factor.

I don't mind sexy games if that is what your gonna do dude. Just make sure everyone is 18+

The last thing I'd expect anyone in the games industry, let alone the Japanese games industry, to do is handle the idea of romance, sex and titillation with any sort of respect or meaning.

They will begin and end with "14 year olds we say are 18 year olds in tiny bikinis".

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hope its not gonna be something where all the males are doing the fighting while the females are stuck as damsels or eye candy.

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah exclusively or atleast focused on female characters with a female main character. Now it will most likely just be the usual shounen anime split with the focus being on the male mc and important characters all male etc. with maybe 1 or 2 relevant female characters and a side character here and there
I see. That would have been interesting to see if he could have done something like that.

I suppose it is also interesting that in this case he's actually feeling that he's always liked Nao's male character designs but never really had a chance to focus on them and that's one reason he hopes to accomplish with this one and specifically why he wanted to work with the designer once again.
I thought that was still happening just without him at the helm, or only consulting.

But definitely probably going to be a different game than initially planned.
According to the twinfinite article:
While Takaki-san left Marvelous Entertainment to join Cygames, he'll still supervise the Senran Kagura series for a while, alongside working on a new cross-media project for its former employer. Yet, he is also planning a game for Cygames itself.
So it seems that despite working at CyGames he's still possibly doing work at Marvelous as well? I know that article is old but now that seems like an awful lot of work, so I cannot help but wonder just how much involvement he still has with Marvelous and SK.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see. That would have been interesting to see if he could have done something like that.

I suppose it is also interesting that in this case he's actually feeling that he's always liked Nao's male character designs but never really had a chance to focus on them and that's one reason he hopes to accomplish with this one and specifically why he wanted to work with the designer once again.

According to the twinfinite article:

So it seems that despite working at CyGames he's still possibly doing work at Marvelous as well? I know that article is old but now that seems like an awful lot of work, so I cannot help but wonder just how much involvement he still has with Marvelous and SK.
Sounds like he's fulfilling contractual obligations. Kinda like Ueda did with The Last Guardians

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Not a good thing he has begun to communicate about his new CyGames game while being completely silent for months now about SK Seven.

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like he's fulfilling contractual obligations. Kinda like Ueda did with The Last Guardians
Oh, I could see that then. But still, that must be awfully hard, having to deal with two completely different obligations at once and balancing things out. These roles he has are not some individual contributor roles either and all are supervisory in fashion. I can't even imagine how he is able to juggle the responsibilities at once.
Not a good thing he has begun to communicate about his new CyGames game while being completely silent for months now about SK Seven.
Well, he also had one other Marvelous title he was supervising I believe that was also not an SK title. So if he's also doing an SK title then that would seem to be a lot of stuff under his belt at once.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Takaki was at E3 doing the interview rounds:
Dualshockers - https://www.dualshockers.com/granblue-fantasy-versus-interview-cygames-e3-2019/
Niche gamer - https:///2019/06/22/kenichiro-takak...-versus-changing-roles-and-staying-dedicated/

I'm getting Level 5 vibes from them. though the difference is they're making games that are more appealing to the west

I'd say they're a bit close to L5 from a few years back when they were trying to launch several new IP, since their Cygames NEXT 2016 presentation hasn't wielded too much: Whilst Princess Connect Redive launched to success last year, Reawakening was probably changed/rebooted, Relink had Platinum's contract ended, Uma Musume had its producer Ishihara leave Cygames completely May I think, and Lost Order is no where to be seen.

Still, Yuito Kimura has said in the new Cygames Magazine that he's still trying to get Uma Musume released: https://magazine.cygames.co.jp/archives/453
Project Awakening director (Junji Tago, formerly Fox Engine technical director and now Cyllista Game Engine director which is Cygames' internal engine) also talks a bit here - https://magazine.cygames.co.jp/archives/708

He addresses this in the Niche-gamer interview:
Niche Gamer: Some fans were concerned Senran Kagura 7EVEN, or other titles would be held up with your departure.

Takaki: The titles within Marvelous that are already in production that I have been linked with – of course, I'll make sure they proceed.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say they're a bit close to L5 from a few years back when they were trying to launch several new IP, since their Cygames NEXT 2016 presentation hasn't wielded too much: Whilst Princess Connect Redive launched to success last year, Reawakening was probably changed/rebooted, Relink had Platinum's contract ended, Uma Musume had its producer Ishihara leave Cygames completely May I think, and Lost Order is no where to be seen.

Still, Yuito Kimura has said in the new Cygames Magazine that he's still trying to get Uma Musume released: https://magazine.cygames.co.jp/archives/453
Project Awakening director (Junji Tago, formerly Fox Engine technical director and now Cyllista Game Engine director which is Cygames' internal engine) also talks a bit here - https://magazine.cygames.co.jp/archives/708
I think CyGames said they were making for all systems, so I'm guessing some of those failed project teams has been shifted to other games like switch games and other mobile titles in addition to Project Awakening (which is probably PS5-oriented, but cross-gen)

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said in the other thread, what a bizarre and disappointing choice as someone who doesn't think he's ever produced anything of value. There are so many talented and experienced folks at CyGames and you pick... Him?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said in the other thread, what a bizarre and disappointing choice as someone who doesn't think he's ever produced anything of value. There are so many talented and experienced folks at CyGames and you pick... Him?
might be for smaller budgeted games aimed at more niche markets