• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
The only mobile game company I like because they're investing in AAA console games, I hope this pays off for them!
Yeah, really hope we're finally getting closer to the actual releases of Relink and Versus, they look so good. Especially for Relink since I've been excited for that for so long now, so I hope it actually makes it out after all this extended time. And Project Awakening looks gorgeous if it's real like they say.

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, really hope we're finally getting closer to the actual releases of Relink and Versus, they look so good. Especially for Relink since I've been excited for that for so long now, so I hope it actually makes it out after all this extended time. And Project Awakening looks gorgeous if it's real like they say.
Are Relink and Versus the only two console games from CyGames known at the moment?

Also, how long has Relink been in development? I swear I've been hearing about it for a while now but I don't recall any recent news off the top of my head that would indicate how far along its progress is or when it might be released?

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Are Relink and Versus the only two console games from CyGames known at the moment?

Also, how long has Relink been in development? I swear I've been hearing about it for a while now but I don't recall any recent news off the top of my head that would indicate how far along its progress is or when it might be released?

Those two and project awakening. VS is slated for 2019 and Relink, at the last quote in december, was about 60% done.

I kind of wonder if those games fall under their own purview because they've been going for much longer than before Takaki came into the picture. Plus the article says he's only acting as a producer on awakening (i.e. not the director, but a more managerial role) and in a support/advisory role for the GBF games.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

I believe it's those two and the TGS announced Project Awakening that are their current console games announced. So three in total so far.

Yeah it's been a while, August 2016 was the initial announcement at Cygames' own event and then followed by the new trailer in Sony's TGS 2016 conference the following month.

Versus seems to be closer to complete, meanwhile for Relink I don't think there's been a date update yet, just some more interviews
It continues to look amazing though, it better really come out, lol.

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see CyGames' output! So far everything console related feels like vapourware tho lol
That's kind of my worry too. I mean, Granblue Versus has been demo'd recently so that one seems more solid (it's a fighting game with GB characters so I can't imagine it would be too difficult to make). But Relink and Awakening have been MIA.
Those two and project awakening. VS is slated for 2019 and Relink, at the last quote in december, was about 60% done.

I kind of wonder if those games fall under their own purview because they've been going for much longer than before Takaki came into the picture. Plus the article says he's only acting as a producer on awakening (i.e. not the director, but a more managerial role) and in a support/advisory role for the GBF games.
Yeah, I had completely forgotten about Awakening and I am wondering what is going on with it. I mean, since it was just a CG teaser at announcement, that could just mean they hadn't really gotten far at all in dev when it was debuted.
Yeah it's been a while, August 2016 was the initial announcement at Cygames' own event and then followed by the new trailer in Sony's TGS 2016 conference the following month.
That is a long time since it was first announced, and it looks like unless we're in for a surprise it'll be a 2020 title at the earliest. I know they were downplaying what happened when Platinum's work on the project ended, but I cannot help but wonder if things were going well why they simply didn't renew the contract?

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I could have sworn a long time ago he talked about trying to make games that appeal to women.
Your comment reminded me that I too could have sworn hearing similar things from him. So I went and searched and did find an article from late 2017 where he does mention thinking about the idea. Source: Dualshockers
Many see the Senran Kagura series as one focused mostly on targeting a male player base, but when Producer Kenichiro Takaki visited the United States for E3 this year, he was surprised and happy to meet many ladies among the fans who welcomed him.

Asked during a chat with DualShockers at Tokyo Game Show on whether meeting so many female fans inspired him to make games that would be more attractive to an audience of ladies, Takaki-san mentioned that he would like to try something like that. Yet, he still doesn't completely understand what female fans want, so he wants to investigate on what they're looking for in a game first. Takaki-san wouldn't want to start such a project before he completely understand what female fans would like.

By the way, Takaki mentioned that one of the reasons for this new game is that he really like Nan's male character designs. But do the Senran Kagura games even have male characters to begin with?

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Your comment reminded me that I too could have sworn hearing similar things from him. So I went and searched and did find an article from late 2017 where he does mention thinking about the idea. Source: Dualshockers

By the way, Takaki mentioned that one of the reasons for this new game is that he really like Nan's male character designs. But do the Senran Kagura games even have male characters to begin with?

Senran Kagura has some
latest

38965-Kiriya-Cosplay-from-Senran-Kagura.jpg

latest

latest

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017

I remember at some point he also said something about wanting to make a more wholesome game he could play with his daughter lol.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Like I said in the other thread, what a bizarre and disappointing choice as someone who doesn't think he's ever produced anything of value. There are so many talented and experienced folks at CyGames and you pick... Him?

For curiosity, how many of the other talented and experienced folks at Cygames have the experience of being basically... an experience multi-IP studio/department head?

The most important qualification of being a head/general manager of a business unit isn't actually one's creative abilities - it's their ability to manage and lead people - other leadership roles, and more importantly, external studios too due to the collaborative nature of game dev. Ultimately, with his role being as high as it is - he's not going to have that much time dedicated into creative or individual game endeavors as the team gets bigger.

If we are focused solely on the creative output of what Takaki's worked on, your points are valid. But a lot of that has to do with the nature of games and IP he chose to work on - as well as the presumably significantly lower resources for IPs that are aimed at a very niche otaku subset. We have no real visibility on how his previous projects and roles played out in terms of budget management, schedule management, people management skills, etc.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
For curiosity, how many of the other talented and experienced folks at Cygames have the experience of being basically... an experience multi-IP studio/department head?
I guess none when you put it like that (that instantly spring to mind), but Takaki doesn't fit that criteria either?

There was Akihiro Ishihara who oversaw the Idolmaster series and some other Bamco properties who left CyGames a couple of months ago after being there since 2016. There's also Yuichiro Saito, the former Danganronpa producer, who is apparently working on a couple of different things at Cy.

More than anything, I just think it's bizarre to appoint the guy who's done nothing but aggressively mine a single niche for the past decade (to diminishing returns) as the general manager of all your console efforts.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I guess none when you put it like that, but Takaki doesn't fit that criteria either?

Not really? Under Marvelous, his work at managing the Senran IP ( which extends to anime/mobile game/external & internally developed console projects) was considered strong enough that he not only got his own studio ( Honey Parade ), he was also working on another multimedia new IP?

Ultimately, I'd say purely from a track record of experience in these areas:
- studio head
- managing internal/external development of console games simultaneously
- managing multi-media aspects of game IP ( manga, anime, etc )

Takaki's record is solid enough. He's not proven himself on a mega-scale AAA project, nor has he shown that he has some sort of special 'personal touch' as a producer that elevates the works he's managed, but it's not a bad track record purely from a checklist perspective.

Ultimately, a role like GM and studio head are hired for their managerial and people-leadership skills first and foremost. How they delegate is more important than how they make.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Another Cygames console game ?

Would already be fine with some Relink news...
Project Awakening is possibly a PS5 game.

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Senran Kagura has some
Thank you for finding some examples! I really was having a hard time just finding Nan Yaegashi's art compiled anywhere (doesn't seem to have any portfolio or gallery online, not even a twitter that I could find) that isn't just Senran Kagura (and mainly the girls). The only example I could find was when there was an April Fool's joke a few years back when they "revealed a game" with Senran Kagura girls drawn as guys, which I assume was done by Nan:
kagura.jpg

I hope he at least remembers his Hometown
Well, even though this apparently will be a game where they don't go out of their way to prioritize that as the number 1 selling point, I would be shocked if Nan doesn't end up drawing something along those lines given his or her inclinations and body of work.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably getting announced tonight.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Missed this thread originally, but didn't he produce Uppers, which was all about delinquent guys showing off their abs, so yeah, the understanding of "sexy" seems off lol And that PS4/PC release never happened huh
But also, he was the producer and director/designer of Half Minute Hero, so he has at least one series that kicks ass and is not pure TnA/otaku bait.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Missed this thread originally, but didn't he produce Uppers, which was all about delinquent guys showing off their abs, so yeah, the understanding of "sexy" seems off lol And that PS4/PC release never happened huh
But also, he was the producer and director/designer of Half Minute Hero, so he has at least one series that kicks ass and is not pure TnA/otaku bait.
Uppers PS4/PC release is likely being held up by Sony and their new policies, I'm sure they made Marvelous remove the stuff where you get knocked into the girls' tits from the PS4 version. The PC version is probably already done but I assume they want to release both at the same time like with Senran Kagura Re;newal.

Oct 26, 2017
Uppers PS4/PC release is likely being held up by Sony and their new policies, I'm sure they made Marvelous remove the stuff where you get knocked into the girls' tits from the PS4 version. The PC version is probably already done but I assume they want to release both at the same time like with Senran Kagura Re;newal.

It's also possible they're doing a Switch port. This is eerily similar to Assault Gunners HD (also by Honey Parade somehow) where it was initially announced for PS4 and PC, but later got a Switch port and then all released at the same time. Both Assault Gunners and Uppers were Vita games by Marvelous.

I'd be surprised if Valkyrie Drive isn't next afterwards.

Oct 25, 2017
It's also possible they're doing a Switch port. This is eerily similar to Assault Gunners HD (also by Honey Parade somehow) where it was initially announced for PS4 and PC, but later got a Switch port and then all released at the same time. Both Assault Gunners and Uppers were Vita games by Marvelous.

I'd be surprised if Valkyrie Drive isn't next afterwards.
Ah, makes sense. As long it's not cancelled.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, he wasn't, that was Kotaro Yoshida. He was the producer on the PSP version (it was originally a free downloadable game). His credit is as the 'director' of the publishing side, but all the game design and development was done at another studio.

Hexa

Oct 25, 2017
Game is called Jet Girls.

It'll be getting a full reveal on August 1st at 20:00 JST.

Last edited:

Hexa

Oct 25, 2017
And this isn't a sexy game? I'll be surprised

This isn't the game in OP. My bad. Didn't expect him to be working on multiple games with Marvelous despite also heading Cygames console division. The character designer for this is Hanaharu Naruko unlike the game described in OP that has Nan Yaegashi . This one will probably be his normal type of game.

Edit: I mixed things up from his other statements and misunderstood. The non sexy game in OP is being worked with Cygames and not Marvelous. The game he described as working with Marvelous was different from that and likely this.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't the game in OP. My bad. Didn't expect him to be working on multiple games with Marvelous despite also heading Cygames console division. The character designer for this is Hanaharu Naruko unlike the game described in OP that has Nan Yaegashi . This one will probably be his normal type of game.

Edit: I mixed things up from his other statements and misunderstood. The non sexy game in OP is being worked with Cygames and not Marvelous. The game he described as working with Marvelous was different from that and likely this.
That makes more sense. One last hurrah for sexy games I guess

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok, so "Jet Girls" was his non Senran Kagura Marvelous project that I think he mentioned a while ago. I guess this is the last one he might have with them, though he also seemed to imply he'd still supervise/advise on any new SK game as well.

Guess have to wait longer to see what his Cygames project will be then.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not really? Under Marvelous, his work at managing the Senran IP ( which extends to anime/mobile game/external & internally developed console projects) was considered strong enough that he not only got his own studio ( Honey Parade ), he was also working on another multimedia new IP?

Ultimately, I'd say purely from a track record of experience in these areas:
- studio head
- managing internal/external development of console games simultaneously
- managing multi-media aspects of game IP ( manga, anime, etc )

Takaki's record is solid enough. He's not proven himself on a mega-scale AAA project, nor has he shown that he has some sort of special 'personal touch' as a producer that elevates the works he's managed, but it's not a bad track record purely from a checklist perspective.

Ultimately, a role like GM and studio head are hired for their managerial and people-leadership skills first and foremost. How they delegate is more important than how they make.

Missed this talk - I suspect that there has been some horse trading involved (pun on Uma Musume notwithstanding) due to relationship(s) between Marvelous, XSEED and Cygames, which as we've seen from Jet Girls he's trading time between Marvelous and Cygames and if he continues with Honey Parade and Senran Kagura in the future then this arrangement might be ongoing.

That said, considering the way Cygames does PR it's probably a combination of whether they want to be known and/or whether they are thick skinned to take the heat to be front man. Takaki seems as much as a PR 'lets promote the stuff I'm doing' as someone who's has a bit of a history with the West and thus is at least known. This kind of compares with two of the principals of Cygames - Koichi Watanabe, the president who rarely does interviews or shows his face in streams or things like CygamesFes, versus Yuito Kimura (KMR) who produces their three biggest current titles (Granblue, Shadowverse and Princess Connect Re:Dive) and almost always shows up on game streams or announces new features/stuff like the Princess Connect Re:Dive anime. That said KMR probably 'heads' the mobile division, which has always been their bread and butter since inception.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Cygames is far from the fanservice-free studio.
GBF, despite the art being done by FF veteran Hideo Minaba, is ultra guilty of hyper sexualized female designs. First of all, with Katalina as almost the sole exception, all the females show either blatant cleavage and/or wear impractical miniskirts with thigh high stockings. Second, the female versions of one of the fantasy races is pretty much always short height + giant boobies. The only non sexualized females are the dwarf/gnome-like race.

Shadowverse is equally guilty of this. And of course, there's fucking Idolm@ster.

What I'm saying is, Takaaki would be right at home making lewd stuff if the company wanted to.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So the next time we have a video game sexism thread and some jobber says "But what about this male character? SEE MEN ARE SEXUALIZED TOO!!"

We can point out that intention matters. This is basically a Hot Ryu type of situation where the artists came up with in their eyes a cool looking character that happens to be attractive.