• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Announced via a report by Famitsu: 20,018,278 units sold in total, of which 16,168,420 units for the flagship model and 3,849,858 units for the Lite model.

The top five best-selling systems of all time in Japan:

1. Nintendo DS - 32,990,000
  2. Nintendo Gameboy + Color - 32,470,000
  3. Nintendo 3DS - 25,260,000
  4. Playstation 2 - 21,454,325
  5. Nintendo Switch - 20,018,278
All numbers except Switch are shipments, but for ancient systems, the difference between shipped and sold is not relevant.

Switch took 4 years and 14 weeks to get there. The other platforms took:

Nintendo DS - 2 years and 50 weeks
Nintendo Gameboy - UNKNOWN (roughly 9 years)
Nintendo 3DS - 4 years and 45 weeks
Playstation 2 - 6 years and 49 weeks

(I had to do some digging, so my weeks might be one or so off if I made an error somewhere)

Great milestone for the Switch, and it's still trucking along. Top 3 ranking is basically certain, and it has a shot at becoming the number 1 system of all time in Japan.

Last edited:

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo DS - 2 years and 50 weeks wow what beast.

Deserved milestone, the switch is an amazing console/portable.

More statistics for the Japanese hardware market

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
It took 222 weeks. Fastest system after NDS:

2021-06-02-9-53-58.jpg

NDS is the best selling system with 32,864,126 units according to Famitsu. It follows the Game Boy (including Color) with 32,430,000 units.
Then the rest is like the graph:

2021-06-02-9-52-59.jpg

VermillionA

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Obviously Switch numbers insane but WHAT THE FUCK at those DS ones. 2 years and 50 weeks???? And those LTD figures. Bruhhhhh.

OP
OP
Zedark

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It took 222 weeks. Fastest system after NDS:

2021-06-02-9-53-58.jpg

NDS is the best selling system with 32,864,126 units according to Famitsu. It follows the Game Boy (including Color) with 32,430,000 units.
Then the rest is like the graph:

2021-06-02-9-52-59.jpg
Thanks! I've threadmarked your post. Do you happen to know the number of weeks it took the GB+GBC to hit 20M? I've not been able to find weekly or even yearly numbers for those systems.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
By the end of this year it will surely be close to top 3. Year on year, it should already overtake 3DS.

It's really crazy to think that another dedicated gaming device can do this much, and really has a great chance of reaching 30M, given the pessimism about the video games market in Japan several years ago.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
from the same report, top 5 best selling Switch games in Japan (physical only):

1. Animal Crossing New Horizons (6.78m)
2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (4.29m)
3. Pokemon Sw/Sh (4.05m)
4. Splatoon 2 (3.87m)
5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (3.84m)

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
Wow. I did not realized the DS reach the 20 million milestone THAT fast.

Anyway, great success for the Switch!

ArcaneStar_

Sep 14, 2018
Switch took 4 years and 11 weeks to get there. The other platforms took:

Nintendo DS - 2 years and 50 weeks

Sometimes I forget how much of a giant beast the DS was and every time I see things like these I get surprised all over again

DS was a monster

Edit: Man, Switch might even surpass DS and Gameboy+Color when it's all said and done, that's surreal

Last edited:

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Only 13 million to catch up with the DS and clearly with how it is selling and this new revision it will easily pass it.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wait, 3DS managed to sell 25 million after all? In the media create thread it's always at 24 something... Where's that discrepancy coming from?

OP
OP
Zedark

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wait, 3DS managed to sell 25 million after all? In the media create thread it's always at 24 something... Where's that discrepancy coming from?
Not all shops are tracked, including Amazon Japan and also the Nintendo online shop. That can cause a discrepancy, which should explain the several 100k difference here I think. Switch has something similar, with shipment number consistently exceeding the sell-through numbers (which is partially stock on shelves and partially sales from untracked sellers).

Ninferno

Nov 6, 2017
The DS was launched in Japan for JPÂĄ 15,000 on December 2, 2004 .
The Switch was launched in Japan for JPÂĄ 29,980 on March 3, 2017 .

Not sure if pricing is an important point to consider, but just stating some facts.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Not all shops are tracked, including Amazon Japan and also the Nintendo online shop. That can cause a discrepancy, which should explain the several 100k difference here I think. Switch has something similar, with shipment number consistently exceeding the sell-through numbers (which is partially stock on shelves and partially sales from untracked sellers).

Ah, I see - thanks!

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is very impressive, especially considering it looks like Switch still has a lot left in the tank.

By the end of this year it will surely be close to top 3. Year on year, it should already overtake 3DS.

It's really crazy to think that another dedicated gaming device can do this much, and really has a great chance of reaching 30M, given the pessimism about the video games market in Japan several years ago.

That "pessimism" still persists because when people talk about the decline of the video games market in Japan they are almost exclusively talking about PlayStation.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Halfway to 40mil!!!

It's guaranteed to surpsss 30mil, it'll overtake 3DS in shipments by end of this year. Then after that, even with off the cliff drops it's hitting 30mil... 40mil time!

As expected of the market leader.

is this a meme now??? I can't tell!!!

Only 13 million to catch up with the DS and clearly with how it is selling and this new revision it will easily pass it.

this one gets it

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Including My Nintendo Store sales, the Switch is on track to surpass the 3DS lifetime unit sales this calendar year and the DS in 2023.

Thanks! I've threadmarked your post. Do you happen to know the number of weeks it took the GB+GBC to hit 20M? I've not been able to find weekly or even yearly numbers for those systems.
Around 9 years.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Switch sales curve is nothing like ever seen for a Nintendo platform. In Japan, its fifth year in the market will likely be its best-selling one or the second best-selling one... While typically Nintendo platforms start really well during the first years and then constantly drop.

Not sure if pricing is an important point to consider, but just stating some facts.

It is definitely a factor. Installed base is not the only measure to assess a product's commercial performance. We know, for example, that Switch has always been sold at a margin, unlike 3DS which was sold at a loss after its first price-cut and at least until 3DS XL released. We also know that the Switch software is selling a lot (and at a higher price than previous handheld consoles). Plus, digital is a thing and there margins are higher for Nintendo. In addition, accessories are much more relevant for Switch than for DS (just think of Joy-cons), which is another big source of revenues.

Even if Switch won't reach DS hardware numbers, I do think its ecosystem will be much more successful in the end.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But seriously this is a great milestone to hit, and at a great time to ahead of the New Switch Pro/Plus/whatever even being announced. I can remember back to around this time in 2018 when the system was selling around 40/50k weekly IIRC and it was a bit of a slog until Smash and the Christmas period that year really kickstarted the splendid success that this system has had since. Add to that the Lite, Pokemon and of course Animal Crossing and Monster Hunter in consecutive years and Nintendo have done very well to broden the appeal of the system these last few years.

There was a divide as well i think between those who thought that the Switch could sell more than the 3DS back then, considering launch alligned comparisons were not at all favourable to the Switch once the 3DS got its price salshed. Now it's pretty clear it'll pass it by the end of this year.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when the Switch story was exhausted bexause it failed to reach 20M that one FY lmao.
It can do 30M LTD easily with that kind of momentum.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
This is honestly not that impressive. Once everyone who bought a DS is now done buying their Switch, sales are going to fall off a cliff.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Including My Nintendo Store sales, the Switch is on track to surpass the 3DS lifetime unit sales this calendar year and the DS in 2023.

Around 9 years.

Yeap, maybe even as early as end of Q1 2023......... but that's a huge maybe!

This is honestly not that impressive. Once everyone who bought a DS is now done buying their Switch, sales are going to fall off a cliff.

We all have been preparing for this cliff for years, I'm ready

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
I had no idea the PSP outsold the Wii. Not my expectation at all.

Speaks to the size of the portables market in Japan...

Jun 10, 2018
The DS was launched in Japan for JPÂĄ 15,000 on December 2, 2004 .
The Switch was launched in Japan for JPÂĄ 29,980 on March 3, 2017 .

If low price was the key differentiator then the preceding GBA and OGGB/GBP/GBC should've easily attained the same sell rate as the DS.

Obviously that's not the case, so there are other factors besides price which vaulted the DS to an unprecedented sales stratosphere.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Do you happen to know the number of weeks it took the GB+GBC to hit 20M? I've not been able to find weekly or even yearly numbers for those systems.
GB cumulative shipments in Japan surpassed 20M units in the fiscal year ending March 1999 (LTD up to that point in time: 23.97M).
The console was already close to 20M in the fiscal year ending March 1998 (LTD up to that point in time: 19.24M) so it's likely it happened in the first half of the fiscal year ending March 1999, that is sometime in 1998 (9 years and something after launch).

Last edited:

Amin_Parker

Dec 25, 2019
Tokyo

Congratulations is in order. Job well done Nintendo. I'm happy to see that the console has reached 20 million units sold. Now it is just 10 million units left until they reach 30 million. Which should be very easy to do in Japan if they release a mid generation upgrade system that will be able to get more High demanding graphically intense games on the console. This has been a wonderful generation for Nintendo. I would say this is their dream generation. Once again, I want to say congratulations to you Nintendo on this amazing achievement.

Ballerman

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
If low price was the key differentiator then the preceding GBA and OGGB/GBP/GBC should've easily attained the same sell rate as the DS.

Obviously that's not the case, so there are other factors besides price which vaulted the DS to an unprecedented sales stratosphere.

there definitely are, though it's still a factor. what's surprising though is Switch Lite still consistently sells a lot less in Japan than the standard despite being notable cheaper and fitting that 'portable' mold which Japan is the biggest fan of.