• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously priority was with the U.S launch and Europe this week. Hard to compare to PS4 numbers when it launched 3 months later in Japan

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
let the excuses begin

Xbox holding compared to xb one.

which is a terrible result imo, since xb one faceplanted out of the gate

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
For the Xbox Series X|S to Xbox One, keep in mind the Xbox One didnt release in Japan until 10 months after it did in the US. So the allocated stock will have been very different.

It's nice to see all three Consoles sell out.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but I thought the whole point of launching in Japan day 1 was that they were taking it more seriously this time and it was a mistake to launch later?
I'd say they are taking Japan more seriously because it's not launching 3 months later lol 1/3 the stock of the PS4 but 3 months earlier.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Hardware it's whatever, they sold what they shipped, but those software numbers are surprisingly low no?

Seems like a poor attach rate unless digital overperformed.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
PlayStation consoles debut in Japan (Famitsu):
PS2: 631K
PSP: 166K
PS3: 88K
PSV: 325K
PS4: 322K
PS5: 118K

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
Also, by a quick Google search, there were 60k PS4 sold in week 2, so I suppose they were not sold out in the first week

Colors

Feb 28, 2019
Can't help but feel that Sony is slowly killing its Playstation brand in Japan, when you are looking for install bases of all playstation consoles prior to this launch. And once again, this new playstation is made for western gamers in mind, so I'm a little pessimistic here.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Obviously priority was with the U.S launch and Europe this week. Hard to compare to PS4 numbers when it launched 3 months later in Japan
Japan is the second or third largest market depending on how you want to cut it, but if it only got 120k, that's probably less than 10% of the PS5s. They understocked a country they said they were prioritizing.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Launching a week later for no obvious reasons (given accessories and games went out last week already) sure is a strange way of "priorizing" Europe.
US and Europe are two biggest markets for PlayStation, if they are launching one week apart, there is obviously a reason

And prioritizing US and Europe means more stock for these markets than Japan
Just don't act surprised when Sony will announce they sold millions of PS5 in X days, with only 118k coming from Japan

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
The hardware sales are stock constrained so not too much of anything to say about them but the software sales aren't exactly setting the world alight either. Could be explained by digital but I'd expect to see something a little higher than 18K for the bestselling titles of a new console - would be very interested to know the split between disc and digital versions of the console itself.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Data is far too incomplete to draw any conclusions
No digital
No numbers on how much other countries got
No total shipment numbers for any of the games.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
US and Europe are two biggest markets for PlayStation, if they are launching one week apart, there is obviously a reason

And prioritizing US and Europe means more stock for these markets than Japan
Just don't act surprised when Sony will announce they sold millions of PS5 in X days, with only 118k coming from Japan

I don't give a flying fuck how many millions or whatever number both Sony and MS report.

I just have an issue thinking Sony is priorizing Europe when it launches later, and i don't buy the logistics excuse because they managed to deal with those with PS4 already.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox finally about to break through in Japan!

does anyone remember the guy from the old place who was convinced that ANY WEEK NOW the 360 was going to turn the corner and take over Japan? he was constantly looking for a sign, any sign, but it never came. (think his name had something militaristic, like Sergeant or Private)

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Welp, it's sold out and scalpers are re-selling for 1.000-2.000$ so...yeah, not good numbers, but because of the stock (both consoles)

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017
Here in Japan, you're either incredibly lucky with lottery or willing to spend big money to get a PS5.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Let's wait and see how many units other countries like Germany, UK, France, etc. got before saying Sony is ignoring Japan.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
PlayStation consoles Japan
PS2: 631K - Released in Japan 7+ months before US/ 8+ months Europe
PSP: 166K - Released in Japan 3+ months before NA / 9 months before Europe
PS3: 88K - Released in Japan 1 week before NA / 4 months before Europe
PSV: 325K - Realeased in Japan 2 months before NA/Europe
PS4: 322K - Realeased 3 months after NA/Europe
PS5: 118K - Released on same date as NA / Europe Week later

Just put together some release date time frames for each console.

The PS5 has had a much closer release in all regions compared to previous Playstation Products, added with the effects of Covid-19 supply will be really constrained. I have the utmost confidence that if there was more PS5 consoles available in Japan at launch there would be higher numbers

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I don't give a flying fuck how many millions or whatever number both Sony and MS report.

I just have an issue thinking Sony is priorizing Europe when it launches later, and i don't buy the logistics excuse because they managed to deal with those with PS4 already.

PS4 launched 2 weeks later in Europe.....

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, lower stock and waning interest in home consoles in Japan

If they sold out on launch, then waning interest isn't really the primary culprit, is it? I guess you could argue that Sony allotted them a smaller number of consoles due to waning interest, but the Japanese people didn't really have much of a chance to show otherwise, right?

Oct 27, 2017

The PS4 launched 2 weeks later in 2013, if anything launching just a week apart is an improvement. And I'm sure they would've loved to launch day and date if they could do so, I doubt they decided to launch a week later just for the fun of it.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

Yeah of course, we are not in pandemic at all
A comparison with PS4 logistic which launched two weeks later in Europe and 3 months later in Japan is super relevant...

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
If they sold out on launch, then waning interest isn't really the primary culprit, is it? I guess you could argue that Sony allotted them a smaller number of consoles due to waning interest, but the Japanese people didn't really have much of a chance to show otherwise, right?
True, just saying that since interest is going down maybe with more stock it would still fall a bit short on the PS4's numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.