• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
second largest first week for a switch game after Animal Crossing. Sword and Shield is 1.36M, Let's Go is 664K

168K Switches for the week

www.famitsu.com

【ポケモンBDSP】ダイパリメイク、発売3日間で139.6万本を販売 | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

ファミ通は、ポケモンが2021年11月19日に発売したNintendo Switch向けソフト『ポケットモンスター ブリリアントダイヤモンド・シャイニングパール』の国内推定販売本数の速報を発表。発売3日間で139.6万本をセールスしたことが明らかになった。

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
So far with numbers we know(UK and JP)

SWSH: 1456k
BDSP: 1441k

Week 2 and US sales will determine the gap going forward imo since SWSH has insane legs for a pokemon game

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
bertholdt-hoover-this-world-is-just-that-cruel.gif

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
I would absolutely love to see BDSP outsell SwSh and send a message that people are clamoring for a more old-school Pokemon experience and go back to the basics more... but knowing GameFreak and TPCi, they would learn absolutely nothing anyway and will continue the overly linear routes and dead towns and new annoying battle gimmick in the next mainline game.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would absolutely love to see BDSP outsell SwSh and send a message that people are clamoring for a more old-school Pokemon experience and go back to the basics more... but knowing GameFreak and TPCi, they would learn absolutely nothing anyway and will continue the overly linear routes and dead towns and new annoying battle gimmick in the next mainline game.
if anything, I'd be surprised if we have routes in Gen 9

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Considering how the budget for this was probably way lower than SwSh, that's a lot of profit.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
honestly I'd be very surprised if that happened, if anything they'll lean less into routes and more into open areas(ala PLA and the SWSH DLCs) as they have been slowly but surely improving their area design there

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Any bets on whether BDSP outsells SWSH in NA for the first week? I'm guessing it won't, but it won't be too far behind.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
So this could actually outsell SwSh worldwide!? WILD

I've honestly had a lot more fun with BD than I did with Shield, Shield was just so lacking. BD's got its issues but the difficulty ramp up from near the end through to the postgame and the underground overhauls have mostly made up for that. It helps that the Gen 4 games were strong to start with. I just wish they'd incorporated all the Platinum stuff and had a bit more time to smooth out the jank, then it would absolutely be the definitive Gen 4 experience

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
diamond and pearl was the first game to not trend downward since the launch of the first. as the first ds pokemon game, it lived a long life. so it holds a lot of nostalgia for folks. probably won't see another remake do as well until gen vii.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
That's a lot. I wouldn't have guessed it would sell more than Let's Go. Even though Let's Go is so different, I thought being the first console, HD pokemon, the Go connection, and the remake aspect would have resulted in higher sales. Good though, as I actually really like BD and the overall approach with these remakes. It looks, feels, and plays like a classic Pokemon adventure.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
So this could actually outsell SwSh worldwide!? WILD

I've honestly had a lot more fun with BD than I did with Shield, Shield was just so lacking. BD's got its issues but the difficulty ramp up from near the end through to the postgame and the underground overhauls have mostly made up for that. It helps that the Gen 4 games were strong to start with. I just wish they'd incorporated all the Platinum stuff and had a bit more time to smooth out the jank, then it would absolutely be the definitive Gen 4 experience
I doubt it personally. Sinnoh has always been especially popular in Japan and I don't imagine it having the legs of SWSH.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I doubt it personally. Sinnoh has always been especially popular in Japan and I don't imagine it having the legs of SWSH.
yeah especially with PLA coming out in 2 months no way the legs are anywhere near as good as SWSH, which probably have the best legs of any game in the series, still its an impressive result for BDSP in Japan

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
These are better games, in my opinion. So not so insane to me haha
Quality has very little to do with the results here. I would think the quality of Sw/Sh would actually hurt the follow-up sales here but I'm guessing having a larger established install base (both Pokemon fanbase and Switch hardware itself) helps the initial launch number inch above.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quality has very little to do with the results here. I would think the quality of Sw/Sh would actually hurt the follow-up sales here but I'm guessing having a larger established install base (both Pokemon fanbase and Switch hardware itself) helps the initial launch number inch above.
I don't think there was any negative impact from SS. otherwise, we'd see it reflect in the game's legs

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I mean if the general public though SWSH was as bad as some of the people on the internet think it is it wouldn't have had such great legs, so clearly following up SWSH was probably only a positive thing for BDSP.

That being said Sinnoh is notiriously well loved in Japan and the legs probably won't be amazing and the US numbers will be lower than, so I'd say it probably caps out at way lower than SWSH in the long run

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sword and shield have legs for days, it has great WoM