• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's with the passive aggressiveness and what has SFV got to do with this topic? Smash (and the Switch in general) has some of the worst online infrastructure in modern gaming. If you want to bring up content, SFV's characters, costumes and stages are far more detailed than Smash so of course it would take longer and the game doesn't recycle characters.

Don't know where you live, but Smash online works fine for me, as in other Switch games too. And I appreciate the low price for it (relatively to the insanely high price for online on other consoles).

The other things you wrote, about detailed costumes, seems hilarious, forgive me. You are probably young and not very informed about game development.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
A fact that I never discussed.

The only point I've contended is the notion that lower than expected sales of a game on a console that had already sold 5-6 million is because of low sales of the console, ridiculous point, and the only reason it was brought up was to explain disappointing sales of a game. If PLG was an appealing game in Japan, like Pokemon gen 8 will be, it could have sold double the number.

When Poke 8 releases, Switch will be at 8-10 million sold, so not that much more than now, and the new audience will be about the same, buying Smash, Fire Emblem, NSMB, etc. And you'll see Poke 8 selling 1.5-1.8 million FW, and joining the evergreen group.

Smash doubling PLG's FW sales, coming only a month after it, confirms what I always said. That particular game has an appeal problem in Japan (single player short RPG, fourth remake of said game, short on content, simple graphics, etc). When used games begin flooding Japanese stores, the game will disappear from the charts.

PLG will not join the evergreen group, Smash will.

There's the appeal problem but there's a demographic difference between the two games as Smash target audience includes lots of veteran gamers that buy day one while Pokémon Let's Go was heavily marketed towards kids and casual gamers (Pokémon GO players).

About Let's Go not joining the evergreen group---this will not be dictated by FW sales. Odyssey did less FW and it's still charting, same for Zelda and Kart.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
2019 will likely see the holidays rise to 400k, I am almost sure of it. Shit summer sales could go that high with Animal Crossing. Not PS2/DS era, but seriously damn close.
If summer sales were to rise to 400k, even if AC releases, then holidays would be record-breaking without a doubt: summer really isn't big at all compared to holidays, and even a massive game release typically can't make hardware rise about 200k. If 400k happened during summer, then holidays would see 1M weeks. Neither of which, obviously, are going to happen.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The Switch needs a substantial price cut to get anywhere near the typical weekly sales the 3DS had. Price is still the biggest limiting factor.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Switch needs a substantial price cut to get anywhere near the typical weekly sales the 3DS had. Price is still the biggest limiting factor.

Of course weekly sales would be higher with a price cut, but Switch sales are high nonetheless. So why would any sane company would even thinking about cutting the Switch price?

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The other things you wrote, about detailed costumes, seems hilarious, forgive me. You are probably young and not very informed about game development.

What are you on about lol. I didn't bring up that conversation and it's fact that generally SFV's characters and costumes are far more complex and detailed so obviously it would take more time. That doesn't mean Smash Ultimate isn't a great game I was just referring to that poster who mentioned content.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
But yeah, by the end of week 1 of 2019 the Switch could be within 200k-300k of PS4, and then another 10 weeks or so should easily put it past the PS4 I think.
I don't know. PlayStation 4 will have a lot of big japanese games in the next weeks:

• December 13th: God Eater 3 & Judge Eyes.
  • December 20th: Dragon Quest Builders 2 & Onimusha.
  • January 11th: Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition.
  • January 17th: Ace Combat 7.
  • January 25th: Resident Evil 2 & Kingdom Hearts 3.
  • February 14th: Catherine & Jump Force.
  • February 28th: Left Alive.
  • March 8th: Devil May Cry 5.
  • March 22th: Sekiro.
Sales will be really strong. Of course, Switch can (and will) do better, but it won't be easy to exceed the PlayStation 4.

2019 will likely see the holidays rise to 400k, I am almost sure of it. Shit summer sales could go that high with Animal Crossing. Not PS2/DS era, but seriously damn close.
I think 2019 will be the best year ever for the Switch in Japan and maybe even the best year ever for a Nintendo console in Japan. Fire Emblem - Luigi Mansion 3 - Animal Crossing - Pokémon. And maybe a Switch Pocket.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Great numbers! Anytime I saw someone mention Smash not being a system seller I felt like I was simply out of touch with the gaming community.

I only hope Nintendo can restock the Smash bros edition switch consoles. I definitely want to grab one but refuse to pay reseller prices.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
What are you on about lol. I didn't bring up that conversation and it's fact that generally SFV's characters and costumes are far more complex and detailed so obviously it would take more time. That doesn't mean Smash Ultimate isn't a great game I was just referring to that poster who mentioned content.

That's not how any of that works

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Of course weekly sales would be higher with a price cut, but Switch sales are high nonetheless. So why would any sane company would even thinking about cutting the Switch price?

I'm sure it will happen in the year to come. In the end places like Japan, UK, etc., are highly price sensitive and lowering the price is going to get people into the userbase, which means more software sold and more people subscribing to their online service. Obviously the Switch will never need a 3DS type price cut, which was a drastic measures to save the device, but there's definitely going to be value in lowering the price. Particularly to grow the user base before the next gen consoles launch.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017

I agree, they shouldn't cut the price now
and if they will be able to keep a flat YoY sales pace also in 2019, they should keep the price as it is imho
this kind of sales at that price should be kept to sustain also a longer and healthier life cycle compared to the 3DS but even the Wii

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
That's not how any of that works
The costumes, character models and animations in SFV are definitely more sophisticated than what you see in Smash. I mean... Just look at both games? How can you deny that?
SFV launched with 20% the number of characters and stages.
well SFV had a way shorter development time (it literally was rushed out) and I'd say a single character in SFV takes more time to produce compared to one in Smash. There is no way SFV could have launched with nearly the amount of characters Smash Ultimate has. Not even the final version of Street Fighter IV had this many characters and the reason is... Street Fighter and Smash are different games and the developers spend a different amount of time on whatever they're trying to do with their respective games. It's almost as if comparing raw numbers is nonsense.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The costumes, character models and animations in SFV are definitely more sophisticated than what you see in Smash. I mean... Just look at both games? How can you deny that?

well SFV had a way shorter development time (it literally was rushed out) and I'd say a single character in SFV takes more time to produce compared to one in Smash. There is no way SFV could have launched with nearly the amount of characters Smash Ultimate has. Not even the final version of Street Fighter IV had this many characters and the reason is... Street Fighter and Smash are different games and the developers spend a different amount of time on whatever they're trying to do with their respective games. It's almost as if comparing raw numbers is nonsense.

I mean, I generally agree, although I would argue the differences in animation are predominantly stylistic rather than qualitative. There's an absolute truckload of attention to detail in Smash.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I would also think that the main development time sink for a fighting game character is in balancing the character in the context of all the other characters, not in the character models.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how Smash just grows and grows in popularity over the years. Truly amazing.

Meanwhile @ Giant Bomb

ThreadbarePoorKouprey-max-1mb.gif

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
all these franchises breaking records prove Nintendo franchises are still super appealing and the hardware was holding them down.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I mean, I generally agree, although I would argue the differences in animation are predominantly stylistic rather than qualitative. There's an absolute truckload of attention to detail in Smash.
stylistic??
I mean we're talking about animations, so when a character does a move for example. These are well done in Smash no doubt, but then in Street Fighter V for example you have more moves for every character since it is a 6 button instead of a 2 button fighter and they go as far as having the skin and veins of the characters visibly stretch when they extend arms/legs. This happens too when you block attacks while in Smash your shield orb pops up and that's it. But Smash is trying to be the most accessible fighting game and so it's understandable that they have less moves for example but they do animate these well so there is no complaint to be had. And it's not like Street Fighter V is flawless either, it has 98% great animation and then you have some really shitty ones like Cammy's air throw. Or some of Charlie's moves or how stiff Falke is (even though that's supposed to be intended I guess).
And then you have a game like Mortal Kombat with garbage animation all around...
I would also think that the main development time sink for a fighting game character is in balancing the character in the context of all the other characters, not in the character models.
I dunno balance changes are rarely drastic though. If you balance a game you pay attention to how people play it, then give characters nerfs/buffs to balance it more. The more characters/moves/animations there are the more difficult it is to do it. I'd say the most difficult thing is creating a character in the first place, especially when made completely from scratch, so original characters for a game.
Safe to say Brawl is getting dethroned as the best selling Smash at some point.
If any Smash game deserves this, it's Smash Ultimate.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's sad how bad Nintendo consoles have held their series back. The first successful core home console since the SNES. Look at all these records being broken.

Mokujin

Oct 31, 2017
Kind of amazed at some people downplaying those numbers when the Switch is still waaaaay overpriced.