• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
So, the 278k counts as the numbers of Switch sold that week, while Smash's 1.23m counts the bundled one sold a few weeks prior?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the power of Daisy

tumblr_pgpdurAnBf1uuhxwpo1_250.gif

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Should be close to or over 300k with Media Create then.

So, the 278k counts as the numbers of Switch sold that week, while Smash's 1.23m counts the bundled one sold a few weeks prior?

Correct, like presales.

Edit

Actually the bundles were with digital copies so I'm not sure that they would be included in these Smash numbers.

Oct 25, 2017
I think that falls a little short against the opening of MHW
You would be correct, Media Create has the launch week of MHW at 1,245,169 units while Famitsu had it at 1,350,412.

Though it's very possible that somehow MC's numbers for Smash will surpass MHW's. Tracking's never 1:1.

Again, this is all retail only.

Last edited:

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
How strong was this opening in comparison to other Nintendo games you might ask?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That has nothing to do with the current state of consoles, even more because this don't affect switch.

Here's the best numbers on FW for nintendo releases in japan.

I was talking specifically about the hardware number relative to DS/PS2 holiday numbers. The software is great.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Gold and Silver still the GOAT. Only one GS song in Smash as well, don't tell me it's not connected.

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
I know a bunch of people who are getting switch and smash bro pulse mario kart. Going into stores and seeing switch games and accessories low. This makes me think it might have taken the holidays.

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah and I believe this is higher than any non launch week Switch did last year (I might be misremebering the exact number)

Edit: Nope, Famitsu had it a bit higher 303k

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Since the Smash bundle hardware was counted for week 46 this is a good sign that the game is driving even more interest than just people buying the bundle.

That hopefully indicates the coming weeks will be huge, probably at least one week bigger than this one in terms of console sales.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
I'm so glad for Mr. Sakurai and his team! They deserve all the success, such a great game for one of the best and most dedicated developers in this industry.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A game console just sold more than 1 million in it's FW and is now the second biggest FW of a nintendo product and the hardware sold almost 300k on the same period. That's great. lol
I think a lot of people here also don't understand that Japanese sales are never going to rival US sales for games that are popular in both because the US is just a much, much larger market period.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Almost every thread about Switch console sales had like 5 people saying Pokemon was the only system seller this year and that anyone who would buy Smash already had a Switch.

Whenever I would ask why they said this I would almost never receive an answer.

I'm going to need to see the receipts on this one, and I've been in some of those threads

There was one thread where one guy said that let's go would outsell smash and most people laughed at him

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah and I believe this is higher than any non launch week Switch did last year (I might be misremebering the exact number)

Edit: Nope, Famitsu had it a bit higher 303k
Switch sold 303k in Week 51, 2017. Week 51 is typically the biggest week of the year for hardware in Japan. Should do the same or better than last year for Week 51, 2018.

This is the third best week for the system including launch.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
2019 will be the Switch's peak year.
I agree. Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Animal Crossing, Pokemon Gen 8, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. On the exclusive front alone it's gonna be great, not to mention the continuing indie train, the third party support here and there (Doom Eternal, MK11, maybe Persona 5?), and the unknown Nintendo stuff. It's just nuts.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people here also don't understand that Japanese sales are never going to rival US sales for games that are popular in both because the US is just a much, much larger market period.

Yeah, Japan is just the second or third biggest market between UK for consoles so it'll fall short compared to US because of difference of population and consumers. But I dare to say that in most of the cases Japan have bigger numbers than UK in many titles though, even if it's just a country against many. lol

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Just imagine next year, next gen Pokemon plus Switch revision/price cut. No way with these numbers the next wave of big Japanese titles aren't Switch centric.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to need to see the receipts on this one, and I've been in some of those threads

I'm on mobile now (and about to go to sleep) so I won't be able to give you many receipts but I can give you one poster who derailed several pages of a thread:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ctober-2018-to-march-2019.77882/post-15199311

There have been many others, in that thread too, but I don't have the time to find them all right now.