• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

doragon

Oct 27, 2017
Doubled LGPE's first week sales with the same install base.

And sold almost 100K more Switch systems than LGPE in the same period. SMAAAASH!!

Oct 29, 2017
300k from Mediacreate is not impossible then... We've seen 20K discrepancies before (in fact, we just had one during the launch week of Let's Go!)

Come on superior tracker!

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It did ok considering the lack of Switch games this year. They need to fix up the horrible online though, it's awful and shouldn't have a place in this day and age.

Oct 25, 2017
It did ok considering the lack of Switch games this year. They need to fix up the horrible online though, it's awful and shouldn't have a place in this day and age.
Hey man I feel ya. I feel your pain. SFV online also sucked and with even less content and look at where we are now. We got a decent game people still play. Smash has its chance yet. You just gotta believe like Ryu did. Because he is in both games.

This is what we have in common.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Over 1.2M is an insane result for the game. By the end of December it'll be the biggest retail game of the year in Japan.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm sure Nintendo game can keep momentum for long time, do you think in 3 weeks it will surpass roughly 3M set by MHW?
He said retail game, so the bar is the retail performance, which is about 2 million. Smash should easily pass 2 million before the end of the year. Whether retail + digital will be over MHW is a more difficult question to answer.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Switch: 6.1M
PS4: 7.3M

I have added the 278k in this thread to the previous total for Switch, and 50k to PS4's 7.25M, which I think is reasonable since PS4 had an almost Spider-Man bundle tier official discount.

My brother who lives in Japan says that Sony had some ridiculous sale on over the last couple of weeks. That will have helped to shift units. Could the switch take the lead over ps4 within the next 8 to 10 weeks?

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many digital sales did the game have. Considering these numbers, Smash being Number 1 in the UK, and so on, Nintendo could reveal the total sales of the game in its first week, just like they did with Mario Kart 8, Mario Odyssey, and so on. They must be huge.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously I was laughing when I saw his post. He always feeling negative when he posts in Nintendo topics lol.
i would put him on ignore but it's just fun to see someone so dedicated to being negative/concern trolling in nintendo threads.

I wonder how many digital sales did the game have. Considering these numbers, Smash being Number 1 in the UK, and so on, Nintendo could reveal the total sales of the game in its first week, just like they did with Mario Kart 8, Mario Odyssey, and so on. They must be huge.
my guess is they'll report a 6 to 7 million number for the game's launch.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
My brother who lives in Japan says that Sony had some ridiculous sale on over the last couple of weeks. That will have helped to shift units. Could the switch take the lead over ps4 within the next 8 to 10 weeks?

No and it doesn't really matter after all. Switch is selling much, much more launch aligned and it will sell much, much more in terms of lifetime sales. Does it really matter if Switch can surpass PS4 by the end of the year or by the end of January or in February?

Anyway, Sony had crazy deals last year too with free games. We'll see how much effect the deals will have. Anything below 60-70k is not a very good sign.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah, PS4 got a discount of 5k yen (roughly $50) plus 2 free games, absolutely bonkers discount. I wrote down 50k, which would be a 2.5 times increase over last week. It could have done even more, though.

But yeah, by the end of week 1 of 2019 the Switch could be within 200k-300k of PS4, and then another 10 weeks or so should easily put it past the PS4 I think.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
No, there's still the NSMBU port. As much as we like to bag on it that thing sells systems reliably in the past. I'd give it a month into 2019.
Assuming that PS4 drops down to 20k during that period, one month into 2019 would mean that Switch should sell 70k-90k for the weeks after week 1 to pass the PS4 (assuming that Switch is only 200k-300k behind by the end of week 1). That'd be a major uptick compared to last year.

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming that PS4 drops down to 20k during that period, one month into 2019 would mean that Switch should sell 70k-90k for the weeks after week 1 to pass the PS4 (assuming that Switch is only 200k-300k behind by the end of week 1). That'd be a major uptick compared to last year.
You mean compared to last year when Switch had nothing big coming out in January and the month MHW was out? I can believe it'll happen.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
ERA told me Switch games couldn't sell more than 600k on launch week because of the install base.

Incredible sales for Smash and Switch.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
You mean compared to last year when Switch had nothing big coming out in January and the month MHW was out? I can believe it'll happen.
Alright, but it would mean that the average would be up from 40k, so almost 100% up. And then there's the thing that PS4 probably won't drop down all the way to 20k. It won't go as high as last January (when it did on average about 45k), but I can see it maintaining a 30k-35k baseline until Kingdom Hearts 3, and then have a massive week for that game of close to 100k. Switch passing PS4 by the end of January 2019 would need a massive performance, almost DS tier I think.

ERA told me Switch games couldn't sell more than 600k on launch week because of the install base.

That was always bullshit. Let's Go simply didn't appeal to the Japanese audience to the same extent as it did in the West.

Last edited:

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

ERA never told you that.

In fact, many people explained to you that there doesn't exist a linear relationship between installed base and size BUT that a higher installed base increases the likelihood of selling more. ERA also explained to you that sales depends on a variety of factors, especially target audience of the game, launch period and platform demographics.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
You mean end of fiscal year 2019.
I actually meant by the end of January 2019 there, will edit! By the end of March 2019 is a much more plausible point for the Switch to pass the PS4 imo.

I am tracking these sales for quite a while but never knew what is the difference between the Famitsu and Media Create. Does one track more information than the other?
They track different retailers. Media Create includes amazon Japan, and lately Amazon Japan has received quite a decent share of consoles, so that's one of the reasons why a discrepancy between the two happens relatively often now.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
ERA never told you that.

In fact, many people explained to you that there doesn't exist a linear relationship between installed base and size BUT that a higher installed base increases the likelihood of selling more. ERA also explained to you that sales depends on a variety of factors, especially target audience of the game, launch period and platform demographics.
Because the Switch audience is not the target audience for Nintendo games. Ffs.

When a game is appealing, it's appealing, when it's not, it's not.

We'll see PLG steadily decline, bump on week 51, then go behind all the other evergreen titles and by June it will be out of the charts, if not sooner. The game is not appealing.

If what you say was true, then Pokemon gen 8 will sell really badly, since of the current 6 million Switch owners, only 1 million care for Pokemon (according to you). How many switches will be sold until gen 8? How many of those new owners will care for Pokemon?
That was always bullshit. Let's Go simply didn't appeal to the Japanese audience.
Exactly my point all along.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
So about 3x the lifetime Xbox One hardware in Japan in 1 week for Switch. Though we can make these comparisons pretty much every week I guess.

Still wel deserved though.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'll wait for superior tracker (Media Create) but this is fucking insane. The Switch is still full-price and it's pulling numbers like this. And Smash became the first Switch title to debut over a million, which is super impressive.

Just imagine when the Switch gets Animal Crossing, Gen 8 Pokemon, Mario Maker 2, Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Yokai Watch 4, a revision/price cut, etc. 2019 is going to be the biggest year yet.

This is why any talk of price cuts (bundles not included) and hardware revisions is madness at this juncture. The thing is still selling like crazy despite having a relatively slow 2018 software wise.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

We'll see PLG steadily decline, bump on week 51, then go behind all the other evergreen titles and by June it will be out of the charts, if not sooner. The game is not appealing.

If what you say was true, then Pokemon gen 8 will sell really badly, since of the current 6 million Switch owners, only 1 million care for Pokemon (according to you). How many switches will be sold until gen 8? How many of those new owners will care for Pokemon?

He's not saying anything else other than there are many factors to sales other than user base...

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

The appeal is based on demographics and target audience (which I mentioned before). Then there's also the quality factor, which effects depends a lot on whether you have a new IP (and quality has a long-lasting appeal on sales) or an established franchise; it is also correlated with target audience (because to be assessed and properly included you must have informed consumers).

No one has ever said that if you double the installed base you double FW sales---this is a strawman argument. Or that you can't sell more than how Pokémon did with the same installed base---another strawman argument.

The only true statement is that a higher installed base increases the LIKELIHOOD of selling more. But selling more depends on many other factors, as people have said to you prevously. This is an established fact.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey man I feel ya. I feel your pain. SFV online also sucked and with even less content and look at where we are now. We got a decent game people still play. Smash has its chance yet. You just gotta believe like Ryu did. Because he is in both games.

This is what we have in common.

What's with the passive aggressiveness and what has SFV got to do with this topic? Smash (and the Switch in general) has some of the worst online infrastructure in modern gaming. If you want to bring up content, SFV's characters, costumes and stages are far more detailed than Smash so of course it would take longer and the game doesn't recycle characters.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
The appeal is based on demographics and target audience (which I mentioned before). Then there's also the quality factor, which effects depends a lot on whether you have a new IP (and quality has a long-lasting appeal on sales) or an established franchise; it is also correlated with target audience (because to be assessed and properly included you must have informed consumers).

No one has ever said that if you double the installed base you double FW sales---this is a strawman argument. Or that you can't sell more than how Pokémon did with the same installed base---another strawman argument.

The only true statement is that a higher installed base increases the LIKELIHOOD of selling more. But selling more depends on many other factors, as people have said to you prevously. This is an established fact.
A fact that I never discussed.

The only point I've contended is the notion that lower than expected sales of a game on a console that had already sold 5-6 million is because of low sales of the console, ridiculous point, and the only reason it was brought up was to explain disappointing sales of a game. If PLG was an appealing game in Japan, like Pokemon gen 8 will be, it could have sold double the number.

When Poke 8 releases, Switch will be at 8-10 million sold, so not that much more than now, and the new audience will be about the same, buying Smash, Fire Emblem, NSMB, etc. And you'll see Poke 8 selling 1.5-1.8 million FW, and joining the evergreen group.

Smash doubling PLG's FW sales, coming only a month after it, confirms what I always said. That particular game has an appeal problem in Japan (single player short RPG, fourth remake of said game, short on content, simple graphics, etc). When used games begin flooding Japanese stores, the game will disappear from the charts.

PLG will not join the evergreen group, Smash will.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A fact that I never discussed.

The only point I've contended is the notion that lower than expected sales of a game on a console that had already sold 5-6 million is because of low sales of the console, ridiculous point, and the only reason it was brought up was to explain disappointing sales of a game. If PLG was an appealing game in Japan, like Pokemon gen 8 will be, it could have sold double the number.

When Poke 8 releases, Switch will be at 8-10 million sold, so not that much more than now, and the new audience will be about the same, buying Smash, Fire Emblem, NSMB, etc. And you'll see Poke 8 selling 1.5-1.8 million FW, and joining the evergreen group.

Smash doubling PLG's FW sales, coming only a month after it, confirms what I always said. That particular game has an appeal problem in Japan (single player short RPG, fourth remake of said game, short on content, simple graphics, etc). When used games begin flooding Japanese stores, the game will disappear from the charts.

PLG will not join the evergreen group, Smash will.
Dude, you're essentially agreeing with sfortunato about the demographics, target audience, appeal, and the various factors. You're describing what he just told you.

Oct 26, 2017
...how on Earth did it do only "ok" when very few games sell those numbers in Japan in a few days? Also, why would a lack of Switch games help with sales, considering that that only really applies to the big AAA releases?

Last edited:

DomsPlaying

Oct 25, 2017
NJ & NYC
Not just solid software numbers, which they certainly are, but it proves that people are buying Switch to play it. Hardware numbers benefiting greatly.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It did ok considering the lack of Switch games this year.
Could you elaborate as to how those software numbers for it's first week in Japan are simply "ok?" This joins the ranks of MH, DQ, and Pokemon among titles that perform higher than 1mil on first week. I'd say it's impressive.