• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Will be interesting to see what kind of software that will boost the most with the Switch Lite.
Kirby, I think. It's fits best what the Lite brings: cheap price as to be an affordable option for kids, and no local co-op focus (which might deter Splatoon and MK players).

Edit: Or maybe I'm wrong. Goes to show how much I know about Kirby...

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
That's a bullish prediction. I was thinking more 16-17 million (11.5M by the end of the year, and an additional 4.5-5 million in 2020).
16M by the end of the 3rd year would still be excellent and I do admit 19 is a bit high. But with Pokemon and then Animal Crossing anything is possible. Thinking about the fact that the Lite doesn't have TV Mode, it dawned to me thag this decision makes a ton of sense for the Japanese market which is why I estimated so high. Switch Lite isn't going to curb the Switch Hybrid sales at all, just reinforce HW sales to 3DS levels if not more. Again, I feel the existing consumer base of ~8M will want to buy one for easy portability while any potential new customers will likely buy a Lite, love its catalogue of games and then buy a Hybrid later on to enjoy their games on the big screen. In other words eventually the sales will reflect that its both an afforadble portable option for the handheld leaning consumer base that wants a more portable option while also acting as an excellrnt entry point that will eventually translate to a 2nd purchase of the more expensive model if they grow to enjoy their product.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
That's a bullish prediction. I was thinking more 16-17 million (11.5M by the end of the year, and an additional 4.5-5 million in 2020).

With New Switch Lite, improved OG Switch and Pokemon this Holiday season, we probably looking at around 12-13m at end of this year,
than we have Animal Crossing launch in March in combination with Switch Lite, who knows what else games, most likely price cut, we probably looking at least 5m+ year, so yeah, 17-19m at end of 2020. is most likely scenario.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
With New Switch Lite, improved OG Switch and Pokemon this Holiday season, we probably looking at around 12-13m at end of this year,
than we have Animal Crossing launch in March in combination with Switch Lite, who knows what else games, most likely price cut, we probably looking at least 5m+ year, so yeah, 17-19m at end of 2020. is most likely scenario.
Firstly, I wouldn't agree that a price cut, at least a non-temporal one, is at all likely next year. Switch Lite represents that price cut, and it goes into effect this year.

If Switch hits 12M, then it must do 2.8M in the coming weeks. That's bigger than any performance by the 3DS in the same period (2011: 2.4M; 2012: 2.3M; 2013: 1.9M). Even the year when 3DS got it's 10k yen price cut, it "only" did 2.4M. 2.8M is really DS territory, which, while not impossible, certainly should not be considered the most likely scenario imo.

If it hits 12M, then another 5M+ in 2020 is very plausible, of course. It's the 12M+ by the end of 2019 that's not likely imo.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Firstly, I wouldn't agree that a price cut, at least a non-temporal one, is at all likely next year. Switch Lite represents that price cut, and it goes into effect this year.

If Switch hits 12M, then it must do 2.8M in the coming weeks. That's bigger than any performance by the 3DS in the same period (2011: 2.4M; 2012: 2.3M; 2013: 1.9M). Even the year when 3DS got it's 10k yen price cut, it "only" did 2.4M. 2.8M is really DS territory, which, while not impossible, certainly should not be considered the most likely scenario imo.

If it hits 12M, then another 5M+ in 2020 is very plausible, of course. It's the 12M+ by the end of 2019 that's not likely imo.

OG Switch dont have price cut, its true that this year because launch of OG revision and low price point Switch, Switch didnt need price cut this year,
but next year will be different, I don't think Nintendo will entering its 4. year on market with launch price point (in March 2020. Switch is entering its 4. year on market),
I am willing to bet next year we will have price cut.

OK, I will retrain my previous statement, about 12m-13m, I expecting around 12m at end of this year,
so at end of next year around 17-18m.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
The amazing thing to me here is that it seems to be On top of the normal Switch sales, I'd think the latter would get impacted by the Lite, but probably not?
It's hard to forecast. This week, Nintendo launched Link's Awakening, so it obviously help sales. In the coming weeks, with Dragon Quest XI, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Pokémon Sword & Shield, hardware sales will be up YOY, probably even for the normal Switch. But it doesn't mean Switch Lite don't impact sales of the normal Switch, just that sales of Switch will be absolutely crazy this year.

I think the comparison between sales of the normal Switch in 2019 and in 2020 will show us if Lite cannibalize its sales or not.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
That said, I wonder when the complaints will start about the Lite not being able to dock. In France, they use the expression 'dedicated to mobile usage' in their ads which might not convey the idea that it is ONLY mobile. How is it advertised in Japan?

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
That said, I wonder when the complaints will start about the Lite not being able to dock. In France, they use the expression 'dedicated to mobile usage' in their ads which might not convey the idea that it is ONLY mobile. How is it advertised in Japan?
Eh honestly that's pretty minor, keep in mind in the EU and I believe Japan Nintendo used to sell 3D's without the bloody charger. So uniformed buyers would buy a glorified paperweight for a while if they didn't have a DS charger lying around that they may not even have known worked on the 3DS.

Main og switch owners would come in with the expectation of docking because the lite doesn't come with a stand and they've never shown it docking, so it's an easier pill to swallow.

Windows-PC

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Meanwhile certain Japanese third parties

head_in_sand.jpg
Haha :D

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
The good news is that it's not killing OG Switch sales, Nintendo is going to have an amazing holiday.

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
I think the lite will synergies good with the og. The lite will be a moving ad for the family. If more and more people have a switch...you will be more inclined to buy one as well and then there will be a certain percentage of people that buy the more complete package.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
This is more than I expected. I don't think the OG Switch is going to consistently perform as well as it did here against the Lite. There are other factors at play with the incoming VAT, Link's Awakening releasing, and (maybe) an increase in supply/store traffic.

In a holiday week, I expect the sales split may be close to 2:1 (200k Lite + 100k OG). They will overlap in market to some extent.

Excited to see this week's software and next week's hardware numbers with the huge release slate and it being the last week before the VAT comes into effect.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was expecting 150-200k total, this definitely blows my expectations out of the water. It's great that there is ample supply too.

I wonder how high the stock will bounce back today.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This is more than I expected. I don't think the OG Switch is going to consistently perform as well as it did here against the Lite. There are other factors at play with the incoming VAT, Link's Awakening releasing, and (maybe) an increase in supply/store traffic.

In a holiday week, I expect the sales split may be close to 2:1 (200k Lite + 100k OG). They will overlap in market to some extent.

Excited to see this week's software and next week's hardware numbers with the huge release slate and it being the last week before the VAT comes into effect.
Yeah, that makes sense (although holiday weeks should go well above 300k in some weeks). But the complementary nature of the two remains remarkable, and suggests some huge things for the average weekly performances.

Does the VAT increase go into effect this week already or the first week of October?

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that makes sense (although holiday weeks should go well above 300k in some weeks). But the complementary nature of the two remains remarkable, and suggests some huge things for the average weekly performances.

Does the VAT increase go into effect this week already or the first week of October?
My understanding is that the VAT comes into effect Oct. 1.

Just to clarify what I meant about the OG vs. Lite. I just meant that the OG rising to 60k+ this week doesn't mean that it will be at 60k+ in a normal week. It may stay in the 30-40k range like it was doing this summer and the Lite will add on top of that.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

Our consumption tax increases on all purchases and deliveries after October 1st.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is that the VAT comes into effect Oct. 1.

Just to clarify what I meant about the OG vs. Lite. I just meant that the OG rising to 60k+ this week doesn't mean that it will be at 60k+ in a normal week. It may stay in the 30-40k range like it was doing this summer and the Lite will add on top of that.
Don't forget that it was doing that during the Summer because both the Lite and the revised OG were announced. Since the revised OG launched it dit 90k, 75k, 52k and 62k in September (which is normally weaker than Summer for HW).

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget that it was doing that during the Summer because both the Lite and the revised OG were announced. Since the revised OG launched it dit 90k, 75k, 55k and 62k in September (which is normally weaker than Summer for HW).
I'd be very surprised if it keeps that up against the Lite. It would point to really big things for X-Mas and beyond in Japan.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone knows why did Nintendo's stock drop?
Seems weird if those are good numbers.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Citi put out a (ridiculous) prediction for 300k and Media-Create initially had a report that said it sold just 114k.
The standard Switch should get a minor bump from the Loto edition Switch being released on the 27th.
Is that for Dragon Quest XI? I would expect to see the OG Switch level out in October, not next week.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

It's explained here:

The gist of it- Citi Bank was the first to report on expectations for Switch Lite and they expected 300k sold in the first three days, which is nonsense because the initial shipment wasn't even over 200k. Then Media Create supposedly released numbers to Bloomberg, those numbers were 114k. So people saw it fall well short of those initial (crazy town) expectations and sold the stock thinking it was a disappointing launch. Then Famitsu's numbers come out and Bloomberg conveniently reports that MC's numbers were just "preliminary" and not at all an attempt at stock manipulation, no siree, and now they're up to like 165k.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I have the OG Switch revision for battery reasons, which is one of the ways that the Switch will continue to compete against the Lite. I think both have a place in the market, and will continue to sell

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The gist of it- Citi Bank was the first to report on expectations for Switch Lite and they expected 300k sold in the first three days, which is nonsense because the initial shipment wasn't even over 200k. Then Media Create supposedly released numbers to Bloomberg, those numbers were 114k. So people saw it fall well short of those initial (crazy town) expectations and sold the stock thinking it was a disappointing launch. Then Famitsu's numbers come out and Bloomberg conveniently reports that MC's numbers were just "preliminary" and not at all an attempt at stock manipulation, no siree, and now they're up to like 165k.
Thanks, now it makes sense.