• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Notice - Article Contents Machine Translated
xbox-series-x-game-mi5hjmp.png

現時点で国内発売が確定しているXbox Series Xタイトルは『Halo Infinite』、『アサシン クリード ヴァルハラ』、『SCARLET NEXUS(スカーレットネクサス)』、『Bright Memory: Infinite』の4タイトル。残念ながら『Yakuza: Like a Dragon』の国内発売はいまのところ予定されていない。
In the article it's noted that Yakuza 7 isn't currently scheduled for a Japanese Launch
====================

This is great news as the article & Tweet above show the comparison of the XB1 launch where Japan was nothing more than an after-thought for MS.
While the Xbox will never be a big force in Japan, if MS continues to treat the region with respect. It should result it better offerings for xbox fans world wide.
On a side tangent, I love following the Xbox Japanese fans on twitter and it's absolutely fascinating. A lot of the ones I follow never even played Yakuza until it hit gamepass which was quite the surprise (So I imagine the Yakuza 7 XSX release will happen for Japan, but might miss the launch window there).

Source:

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see as that probably doesnt mean alot of tier 2 releases. A thing Spencer already said they wont do. But good to see some "confirmation"

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
good to see them doing a simultaneous launch in japan. it'd be nice to see them grow their market-share there.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I quickly skimmed for the quote and the Yakuza situation I would more translate as "not scheduled to release in Japan", much rather than not confirmed to be there as a launch title.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS know their sales aren't going to be special but are doing this to maintain some presence in JP. Infrastructure for cloud gaming seems to be improving and with Segas news today it seems there's a growing appetite for it, good indication that businesses are taking it seriously. So I can see MS using XCloud to bring greater amount of content over to Xbox from JP devs.

Hope Xbox Publishing have ramped up heavily in Japan too.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, nice to see them taking it more serious this time. Learning from your mistakes is always a great thing. Good job MS.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Good move, but if they don't have exclusive games targeted to the Japanese market it won't make a difference. Will be interesting to see what the full launch lineup is

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good move, but if they don't have exclusive games targeted to the Japanese market it won't make a difference. Will be interesting to see what the full launch lineup is
Tales of Arise release date is still a mystery. It could be launching by the end of the year as a cross-gen title.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
After 1 hour, Famitsu's tweet has an impressive 90 retweets, almost 100 likes and 1 comment of a dude being shocked by the form factor the Series X.

I don't think next gen will be any different for Microsoft in Japan.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Let's hope this generation they focus more on chasing content that appeals to the Asian region and getting devs on board because they can see a userbase grow like the 360 days. They went backwards with the Xbox One and general approach.

I want to see Phil going to Japan just to get what should be multi-format games become a thing of the past.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
After 1 hour, Famitsu's tweet has an impressive 90 retweets, almost 100 likes and 1 comment of a dude being shocked by the form factor the Series X.

At this point, MS sees Japan more as content for everyone else more than anything.
You have good relations with Japanese Devs and your small consumer base, you're opening the door for more content to not skip your platform for the rest of the world.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Tales of Arise release date is still a mystery. It could be launching by the end of the year as a cross-gen title.

Unless they pay to make it not come out on the PS5 it won't make much difference.

Getting games that would have been PS4 or PS4/Switch only last gen to come out on the XB4 is a good start, but without exclusives people will just buy a PS5 instead.

they probably don't expect much. going back to 360 numbers (and support) would be good enough.

They won't even get 360 numbers without a lot of work with Japanese devs/pubs.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Phil will try to make multiplatform the games that come to PS5, same they have been doing this gen.

No one in Nippon is waiting for their PS5 to become an Xbox, they want original, new exclusives.

Deleted member 64517

Banned
Mar 14, 2020

They probably care more about releasing xcloud with gamepass over there, if they put a bunch of third party Japanese games on it the service will probably get decent usage.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Phil will try to make multiplatform the games that come to PS5, same they have been doing this gen.

No one in Nippon is waiting for their PS5 to become an Xbox, they want original, new exclusives.

Yes, and if those exclusives don't come out and boost XB numbers in Japan, some of the smaller multiplats that depend on JP sales will drop XB again like this gen.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017

Looks about par for the course with their other twitter posts.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
They won't even get 360 numbers without a lot of work with Japanese devs/pubs.

I agree
so far (going by what they showcased and what is reported here to launch there at the end of the year) I don't see exactly a Japanese-centric will (aka like did in the past with Lost Oddissey, Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia...)

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
At this point, MS sees Japan more as content for everyone else more than anything.
You have good relations with Japanese Devs and your small consumer base, you're opening the door for more content to not skip your platform for the rest of the world.

Apart from the usual 2-3 big companies like Square, Capcom, SEGA and Bandai Namco (with a fair amount of exceptions too), I don't see how Microsoft can get any real 3rd party support from the AA-A market without massively improving their japanese sales. Even some of the "big" stuff they got was the result of some cash exchanging hands.

Most of Japanese devs are still making games with domestic sales in mind. It's pretty telling when even the few japanese developers that make Xbox games don't bother with a retail version of their titles in Japan, it's just a waste of money.

Last edited:

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hopefully Game Pass will make roads into Japan, since Japan is a heavily mobile-focused place. Time will tell.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Apart from the usual 2-3 big companies like Square, Capcom, SEGA and Bandai Namco (with a fair amount of exceptions too), I don't see how Microsoft can get any real 3rd party support from the AA-A market without massively improving their japanese sales. Even some of the "big" stuff they got was the result of some cash exchanging hands.

Most of Japanese devs are still making games with domestic sales in mind. It's pretty telling when even the few japanese developers that make Xbox games don't bother with a retail version of their titles in Japan, it's just a waste of money.

I definitely think a lot will rely on Gamepass essentially paying for ports to foster new consumer bases & interest in Smaller Japanese fare . This has been their tactic from the indie side of things & that has worked out pretty well.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
they probably don't expect much. going back to 360 numbers (and support) would be good enough.
Yeah, about that... I remember that some years after PS3's launch 360 used to sell lot less units than PS2. So I wouldn't expect much. Japan just doesn't like that brand. Even bringing FF, Tekken and exclusive Mistwalker games didn't help.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I definitely think a lot will rely on Gamepass essentially paying for ports to foster new consumer bases & interest in Smaller Japanese fare . This has been their tactic from the indie side of things & that has worked out pretty well.

We'll see, but if no one in Japan has an Xbox no one is going to play games on GamePass I think, unless xCloud takes over the world.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
They've tried with no success for three generations.

Microsoft didn't try to compete in Japan at all this generation. Phil basically just started re-mending relationships with Japanese devs a couple of years ago to get their games to come to Xbox, but the console itself hasn't done anything, and they haven't really tried to do anything WITH it there.

I think Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were their last sincere push for Japanese marketshare, and it failed miserably.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. Phil said they would give more details regarding their plans for Japan in the near future.. cant wait. Hope they still plan to add Japanese devs to XGS though.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nice. Phil said they would give more details regarding their plans for Japan in the near future.. cant wait. Hope they still plan to add Japanese devs to XGS though.
I really hope so. Getting some of those AA and indie titles on there, especially JRPg's etc, would be great for Game Pass.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
XSX + Infinite bundle is basically confirmed for a Worldwide release then.

Also considering that:
  • OG Xbox released on November 15th, 2001
  • Xbox 360 released on November 22nd, 2005
  • Xbox One released on November 22nd, 2013
  • Xbox One X released on November 7th, 2017
XSX + Infinite could very probably be released on November-end, 2020 (I don't think Covid-19 will stop this tradition just yet)

Can't wait to see pre-orders going up.
Exciting times!

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna lie, I can't wait to see videos of the launch event in Japan lol.