• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I promise every single person in this thread has at some point avoided doing a mundane task like taking out the garbage or making their bed with more energy than it would've required to do said task, but let's dehumanize an actor because he has money so fuck him.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Anyway, I see a lot of "celebrities" during my work, but I find it really gross and stupid to ask for a photo or a selfie. I would never do that.
It's good enough to shake hand and have few words with somebody you like, I don't really see the utility of a photo apart from bragging or boasting

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's really not reaching for the moon, it's right there in the post. And don't tell people to "stop" just because you don't like their opinion.

It's obviously a reference to the show, that the actor in the OP is involved in.

The dude hasn't even watched the show and doesn't know the context, how is he suppose to understand the joke?

Saying someone is racist or made a racist post is a fucking big allegation. You better back that shit up.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is wild, I legit can't tell whose being sarcastic and whose being serious.

Rami handled that situation exactly as I would, he agreed to have his picture taken. He's not agreeing to go the extra mile and say "hi" to all your dumb friends. Take your pic and move on.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
The bold is what we call your opinion and uninformed opinion but it is your right to have one, no matter how uninformed it is.

Save the modding for the mod. Hint use the report button and stop wasting my time.

You're wasting your own time, champ. And I've seen the show - the joke still sucks and has obvious racial implications.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is wild, I legit can't tell whose being sarcastic and whose being serious.

Rami handled that situation exactly as I would, he agreed to have his picture taken. He's not agreeing to go the extra mile and say "hi" to all your dumb friends. Take your pic and move on.

giphy.gif

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Well this thread is certainly something.

Completely innocuous interaction between a celebrity and a fan. 1) HOW DARE SHE TRY TO START A TWITTER BRIGADE AGAINST THE POOR MAN 2) WHAT A RUDE PERSON NOT DOING A VIDEO FOR HER.

She laughed it off, he just wanted to give a fan a quick picture. It's a funny little video, literally nothing more. There is no Twitter brigading, there's no ethical debates about celebrity relationship's with their consumers etc. etc.

Get it together people, c'mon.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's obviously a reference to the show, that the actor in the OP is involved in.

The dude hasn't even watched the show and doesn't know the context, how is he suppose to understand the joke?

Saying someone is racist or made a racist post is a fucking big allegation. You better back that shit up.
I've been backing it up with FACTS on why I consider it racist with every post I make. It can't be my fault that the person that made the "joke" has refused to make a follow up post on it. Everyone else in here is just automatically assuming he's making the reference. I'm not giving the benefit of the doubt because I haven't seen the show. However, if your post would be considered racist without any additional context behind it then it's probably a bad post. No?

DarkenedSoul

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Shithead behavior like this on the streets from other people is why you end up only being able to get your self-importance fix with a celebrity after paying for it at a convention.

2ndTuXx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks douchey from the surface, but dude must get asked for hundreds of photos a day.

I can imagine how exhausting and annoying it can be after awhile, so better off just not pleasing everyone.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I've been backing it up with FACTS on why I consider it racist with every post I make. It can't be my fault that the person that made the "joke" has refused to make a follow up post on it. Everyone else in here is just automatically assuming he's making the reference. I'm not giving the benefit of the doubt because I haven't seen the show. However, if your post would be considered racist without any additional context behind it then it's probably a bad post. No?

The context doesn't even help because the character it refers to is a white male family member of Rami's character.

Rigby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Howl if you want. I've never seen this show. What I have seen is plenty of racist ass people in the past who have made jokes about not being able to see dark skinned people on camera.

You have to be a complete moron not to know that reality exists for black folk. So you have to be a real insensitive fuck or just have a terrible sense of humor to make a joke like that

Or your a racist that hasn't responded once to the post while so many other people are tripping over themselves to make your defense for you.

I'm calling it like I'm seeing it. If I'm wrong I'm wrong....shrugs. But I'm not about to let it slide if I'm not.
Holy shit, just take the L and move on. You're embarrassing yourself.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017

...There is no racist implication apart from the one you're imagining?

You're not giving the benefit of the doubt to a post that you don't understand the context of, and instead insert racial implications, despite people who know the context telling you that it is a reference to the show?

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
This reminds me of when I met Chris Hemsworth a few months before Thor came out. No entourage, nada, he was just walking around Beverley Hills alone. I said " I'm so excited for your movie ! Can I take a picture with you?" He obliged even as I accidentally hit " video" instead of photo. I realized my mistake and apologized but he was so cool about it, stood there with me until I selected "photo" and took a picture. Aussies are the best
Also, WOW this thread took a turn

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like 95% of the internet now is just people intentionally or unintentionally gaslighting one another.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

The dude hasn't responded because he hasn't been online since before you made your initial post. But somehow trying to help you understand and not call someone racist is us "tripping over ourselves to make a defense".

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
...There is no racist implication apart from the one you're imagining?

You're not giving the benefit of the doubt to a post that you don't understand the context of, and instead insert racial implications, despite people who know the context telling you that it is a reference to the show?
I don't understand a show and you don't understand the historical racism of jokes about black folk not being able to be photographed.

And because you don't know the implications of the joke you are giving the person the benefit of the doubt, despite me telling you the reference it makes to what I know.

Like I said in a few posts ago if I'm wrong I'm wrong. But calling out questionably racist shit is certainly a hill I'm ok with dying on.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand a show and you don't understand the historical racism of jokes about black folk not being able to be photographed.

And because you don't know the implications of the joke you are giving the person the benefit of the doubt, despite me telling you the reference it makes to what I know.

Like I said in a few posts ago if I'm wrong I'm wrong. But calling out questionably racist shit is certainly a hill I'm ok with dying on.
Have you even watched Mr. Robot?

I kept clicking on quote origin and each and every click made me believe it was some racist shit. After 10 clicks or so I finally got to the joke. That's your hill? Oh boy.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Can't this just be nothing? Like neither of them did anything wrong? She asked him to shout out her friends. He declined. They both will move on with their lives.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Breh, it's an obvious reference to Mr. Robot, the show he is on. Chill.

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand, what is the issue here exactly?

She asked for a photo, but apparently wanted a video shout out. He said no. He was kind enough to oblige her request for a photo, when really he doesn't owe her anything at all.

This thread spawned over 7 pages of discussion? It's such a non issue.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Breh, it's an obvious reference to Mr. Robot, the show he is on. Chill.
Yeah, it's best to be done. I do feel like if you need to depend on people knowing a show for your post to not be seen as others as blatantly racist then it's not a great post.

My real annoyance became people ignoring the racial implications that are plainly obvious to those with experience. But that's a shout into the void conversation everytime and I really should know better by now

Jam

Oct 25, 2017

I understand fine well the racist implications of black folks not being able to be photographed but that isn't apparent here at all. You inserted that implication yourself, you saw the racial aspect because you were looking for it. Sure it's in good faith since you're trying to 'call it out' but at the same time you brought the racial context into the equation. It's not there. It's a thread about a famous Mr Robot actor and he made a joke around the subject; there is nothing to do with race here.

Why would he randomly appear completely unprovoked in a thread about Rami, of Mr Robot fame, and make a racial attack on this random person on Twitter on Resetera of all places? Don't you find it somewhat of a coincidence that there's many many people telling you it's a Mr Robot reference and that Rami Malek was the lead in the show?

Rami's character on the show imagines somebody who isn't there. The joke is that we can only see Rami because he imagines other people.

It's almost as if you want it to be racist just so you could call it all. Stop man, you can't just accuse people of things with no evidence when you have no grasp of the situation. If you accepted you were wrong that's fine, but you're continuing to argue that it is racist for what?

To be going out and incorrectly accusing people of racism is not a hill you should be okay with dying on. You can't just go round empty handed accusing people of that shit, it's gross.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Yeah, I'm more in the camp of who gives a shit. the girl who posted it, hopefully didnt take it too hard and yeah people are allowed to behave like human beings.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean, in the time he takes to say "No but we can take a picture" he could have said "hello Kim and Tori" like she asked him, in fewer words and time too....

I'm not one for bothering Celebs, they should their own private time, but you got to realize with fame that's what it comes with. People enjoy your work and they just want a way to capture meeting you, be it an autograph, picture, etc, just a keepsake so they can show people in the future "hey I met x back in the day" or show off to their friends. You can be humble about it, oblige, even if you don't have the time you can say sorry and go your way instead and most people will understand.

Really not a reason he had to say no to simply saying hi to Kim and Tori in this instance, especially because it would have been shorter to do then complain and ask to take a pic instead.
You can brag about meeting someone famous with just words. If someone doesn't believe you, then pay the celeb for a photo or autograph. They shouldn't have to do it for free. Outside of work, they're not there to entertain you. And you know, what's wrong with chatting to someone and them warming up to you, then maybe at the end asking for a photo instead of the last step being the first step cause then you're gonna get rejected.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
For this "joke" to work wouldn't it of needed to be Rami that uploaded the video saying he met a fan then?

Like I said no, its some racist bullshit trying to slide by as a bad joke.
Howl if you want. I've never seen this show. What I have seen is plenty of racist ass people in the past who have made jokes about not being able to see dark skinned people on camera.

You have to be a complete moron not to know that reality exists for black folk. So you have to be a real insensitive fuck or just have a terrible sense of humor to make a joke like that

Or your a racist that hasn't responded once to the post while so many other people are tripping over themselves to make your defense for you.

I'm calling it like I'm seeing it. If I'm wrong I'm wrong....shrugs. But I'm not about to let it slide if I'm not.
RlKuH98.gif

DarkenedSoul

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, in the time he takes to say "No but we can take a picture" he could have said "hello Kim and Tori" like she asked him, in fewer words and time too....

I'm not one for bothering Celebs, they should their own private time, but you got to realize with fame that's what it comes with. People enjoy your work and they just want a way to capture meeting you, be it an autograph, picture, etc, just a keepsake so they can show people in the future "hey I met x back in the day" or show off to their friends. You can be humble about it, oblige, even if you don't have the time you can say sorry and go your way instead and most people will understand.

Really not a reason he had to say no to simply saying hi to Kim and Tori in this instance, especially because it would have been shorter to do then complain and ask to take a pic instead.

The belief that celebrities owe the world anything due to their popularity is selfish. However, a celebrity that agrees with my statement but then uses their status for gains is obviously a selfish asshole themselves. It still doesn't change the fact that by default celebrities don't have to do a damn thing for anyone when they're going about their lives. If he wants to be nice for a stranger on the street, he certainly has the right to control the circumstances.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My point is that taking the video and saying hi to her friends would have taken LESS time to do then to tell her no and that they could do a picture instead. I'd understand if she asked him to do a bunch of other stuff and he was strapped for time but literally all she asked is if he could say hit to Kim and Tori, that was it. Of course he has the right to say no, it's just weird in this instance because it'd have been easier/quicker to say hi to her friends then to deny it and say to take a pic.

it's not about the time it takes. he didnt want to do a video message, and that's completely understandable.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's amazing how this thread has turned out, very entertaining.

On topic, celebrities don't owe you anything!

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
You can brag about meeting someone famous with just words. If someone doesn't believe you, then pay the celeb for a photo or autograph. They shouldn't have to do it for free. Outside of work, they're not there to entertain you. And you know, what's wrong with chatting to someone and them warming up to you, then maybe at the end asking for a photo instead of the last step being the first step cause then you're gonna get rejected.

I mean...outside of a convention you don't usually pay for celebs to get an autograph/photo...I mean I've never heard of any celeb just randomly out and about telling people they have to pay for that...

Most people in this situation just ask for a photo or something instead of "chatting" because they understand celebs have busy lives and don't want to take up a lot of their time.

The belief that celebrities owe the world anything due to their popularity is selfish. However, a celebrity that agrees with my statement but then uses their status for gains is obviously a selfish asshole themselves. It still doesn't change the fact that by default celebrities don't have to do a damn thing for anyone when they're going about their lives. If he wants to be nice for a stranger on the street, he certainly has the right to control the circumstances.

They don't owe anything to anyone and should have their own private lives, especially when it comes to paparazzi following and photographing them.

My point is, many people when they meet a celeb naturally want a way to remember it, have proof, etc. That's the entire point of autographs/photo's and such. Lots of people understand celebs have their own lives and will choose not to approach them in public, especially if they are busy (IE eating, out with their family, etc). However when they do a celeb is fully within their right to tell them no, it's just in this instance, to tell her no to a video shoutout to her friends, but saying to take a pic instead, it would have been both easier and taken less time to do the former which is why it seems strange, to me at least.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
this forum really does have the absolute bottom of the barrel gimmick posters.

I always view gimmick posters as extremely dedicated artists, like the elderly Chinese magician Chung Ling Soo from The Prestige. Christian Bale's character Alfred Borden respected Chung because he suspected that the magician wasn't actually an old man but just extremely dedicated to his craft, to a point where he essentially lives the lie, never breaking kayfabe. I suspect the same of some of the gimmick character posters here on resetera and previously on gaf.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always view gimmick posters as extremely dedicated artists, like the elderly Chinese magician Chung Ling Soo from The Prestige. Christian Bale's character Alfred Borden respected Chung because he suspected that the magician wasn't actually an old man but just extremely dedicated to his craft, to a point where he essentially lives the lie, never breaking kayfabe. I suspect the same of some of the gimmick character posters here on resetera and previously on gaf.

You're only as good as your gimmick, and we lost the only good one when GAF died.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Celebrities are under NO obligation to take a picture or video with you...

They are people just like you and me.. they have shit to do. LEAVE THEM ALONE!

I've met a lot of celebs and "famous" people over the years.. and I didn't bug them for a picture.
At most, I shake their hand, say thanks and move on with my business.

Getting "starstruck" is one of the dumbest things. They are all just people. They just happen to have cooler jobs than yours.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I blame him. It'd get annoying as fuck being asked this when you just want to go out about your own business. I'd probably hate my fans more than anyone if I were a celebrity.