• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Dedication.

A conversion of a mobile phone game from the turn of the millennium sounds fascinating from a historical perspective alone.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting this isn't exactly new. According to the downloads page, it came out in September 2017: https://rpgmaker.net/games/9051/downloads/

Still a good thread though, had no idea about it myself.

Also, some context for people not in the know, Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII was a mobile game (like, flip phone mobile) distributed exclusively across Japanese mobile services and is no longer playable.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Non-canon due to FFVII Remake ;(

They're incorporating elements from the Complilation, they said this as recently as last month.

So I expect to at least see some of the Turks from BC/CC and some allusions to the original AVALANCHE.

On topic, this is awesome. Before Crisis is the only part of the Compilation I haven't watched/played.

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting this isn't exactly new. According to the downloads page, it came out in September 2017: https://rpgmaker.net/games/9051/downloads/

Still a good thread though, had no idea about it myself.

Also, some context for people not in the know, Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII was a mobile game (like, flip phone mobile) distributed exclusively across Japanese mobile services and is no longer playable.
How was the quality of the game? Is it worth playing?

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone been able to get this to work on an android phone? Downloaded the EasyRPG app and extracted the rar for Before Crisis to the recommended path but EasyRPG won't find it.

There's also no .exe in the rar I got from the rpgmaker site, kind of weird. I may just need to try on desktop.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It
Has anyone been able to get this to work on an android phone? Downloaded the EasyRPG app and extracted the rar for Before Crisis to the recommended path but EasyRPG won't find it.

There's also no .exe in the rar I got from the rpgmaker site, kind of weird. I may just need to try on desktop.
It worked here, extracted in the folder, check in the configurations If its right.

Btw was the original game so tiny and ugly? But congrats to whoever made this

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What did you use to extract it? I've been using ES File Explorer, that might have something to do with it.

Edit: Yep that was it. Got a different rar extracter app and now everything shows up.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Btw the instructions say the game is not playable on Android after chapter 1, but i'm in chapter 3 and its working so far.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember that logo and it being announced so long ago. I thought it released here for some reason.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that's funny. I was just reading about this game yesterday and lamenting that I'd never get to play it. what a world

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Cissnei!!
latest

really hope she is in the remake.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I played this specific release in June of 2018. The graphics are .... unbearable, so I actually decreased the screen size to around 320x240.

Amazing effort by the creator and translator, good FFVII lore.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic.

Gonna play this.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Considering there is no legal way to play the game anymore, afaik, I would think S-E considers it abandonware, unless they intend to remake it at some point, which I doubt.

I played the game way back on my flip phone when I first moved to japan, and it was a cool little curio, but I didn't think much of the game myself. I'll probably check this out out of curiosity, though.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere on some RPG Maker forum you can probably still find a thread from the mid-00s where I asked the members if they wanted me to do this, and pretty much everyone said no.

Never got farther than drawing some sprites and looking for ways to import the phone it ran on. Amazed that someone actually went ahead and did it.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
This is cool. I'll have to check this out soon.

I used to use RM2k a ton back in the day, and I enjoyed playing some of the games the community put out. I remember playing a game that consisted of a short story based on FF VI, and used the game's graphics.

Someone call Don Miguel!!!

(scans room to see who knows this reference)
Good ol' Don Miguel.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
OH SHIT, DOWNLOADING NOW!!!

I've been looking forward to an opportunity to play this for a VERY long time, Kudos to the person responsible for making this available! Your hard work and dedication is inspiring to us all! Check it out if you can, this is gaming history right here!

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
He was the first guy to fanhack RPG Maker and release it in English back in the early 2000s. A lot of teenagers back in the day would see his name on the banner when booting the program.
He did 2k. RPG Advocate did the fan translation for 2k3, which is the rm used here.

Rpg maker 2003? Wonder why he didnt use a newer version?
2k3 was probably still the easiest rm to use for making a FF fan game at the time this project started.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
It should be noted, however, that this is an Aproximation of the game. The story is all there, all the cutscenes are recreated, and all the art assets are included the best they can be. However, it doesn't have all the main features of the game, such as action combat, and you cannot select a different main character other then Shotgun.

Other then that, it's awesome that the translation sticks the landing so well so far! I'm eager to play further and enjoy the work put into this, and you should check it out as well! Especially if you can run this on your android using an RPG maker app that takes 2003 content, apparently trouble can arise, but it's stable for most people!