• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Wow @ the amount of bans in the first few pages. More diversity the better. Re: Ana and Pharah , I always thought Egyptians would be considered Black as well? Am I incorrect in that ? I get what people are asking for though. Get Pam Grier as a VA and have a badass, strong Black woman of power in there

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Confirmed Civilian, unfortunately. I don't think her dad was actually a retcon, given that it would have been utterly bizarre to give her those skin designs in the base game without some sort of connection.
You don't necessarily need to have been a previous Overwatch or Talon member to be playable. Look at Lucio, D.Va, Hanzo, the Junkers, Wrecking Ball...heck Pharah. She never got in. =P

And her dad wasn't a retcon. Her heritage was (although I guess you could call it a dangling thread?) Despite releasing with the native skins she was portrayed as specifically Egyptian. So people went "What the fuck is this shit?" and Blizzard used the ambiguity surrounding her parentage to say she'd be half First Nations/half Egyptian this whole time. Then her dad showed up in one panel of a comic. Now she's got some lines about going to Canada to see him.

The way it played out was basically like "Sure Jan."

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
One of the founding members was a black woman. Had they stuck with the first strike vision, I am sure we would have seen her by now.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't necessarily need to have been a previous Overwatch or Talon member to be playable. Look at Lucio, D.Va, Hanzo, the Junkers, Wrecking Ball...heck Pharah. She never got in. =P

And her dad wasn't a retcon. Her heritage was (although I guess you could call it a dangling thread?) Despite releasing with the native skins she was portrayed as specifically Egyptian. So people went "What the fuck is this shit?" and Blizzard used the ambiguity surrounding her parentage to say she'd be half First Nations/half Egyptian this whole time. Then her dad showed up in one panel of a comic. Now she's got some lines about going to Canada to see him.

The way it played out was basically like "Sure Jan."
Oh, sure, but the way they've talked about it- they don't have the expectation of doing him. Holding back on Pharah's backstory specifically made sense in her case because of her mom being a DLC character- otherwise there was no benefit in holding off on her background.

It's just that if that wasn't the plan pre-release, it'd be a level of incompetence on this kind of topic that would be incredibly weird coming from them. They run into issues elsewhere all the time, but giving a non-Native character N.A. skins would be so blatantly obvious as to make it hard to believe that's actually what happened behind the scenes.
Retcon?

Phara's had the Raindancer Alt since the beginning as far as I'm aware.
Was responding to this, I agree w/ it not being one.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
cwistofu
Benita
Chindogg
Hollywood Pescado
EkStatiC
@Aztec Complex
Francesco

Take a look at this list.

Yesterday, Not even a day passed
, they were all in my thread shitposting, downplaying, and gas lighting about the topic at hand.

What is the common denominator between this thread and mine? It deals with concerns coming from a Black perspective. This is fucking ridiculous and its pretty much come to a head.

Clearly someone felt their comments were out of line to ban them but once again ERA can't commit to making a better site than what else is available on the web. These posters see the word 'Black' and come running to stir shit, and time and time again, moderation gives them a few days timeout. They come right back to board and continue the same shit.

Look at how many people you banned in this thread, You think their gonna change? You think they'll be more receptive next time? That ban taught em a good lesson?

Is this how you all want to run the site? Is the standard white male gamer perspective the default that needs to be protected?

We had an embarrassing thread with WomenERA being bombarded with male posters completely ignoring their views. That's okay here on ERA too?

Its pretty damn disappointing. How are black moderators suppose to feel about this like Nepenthe and Slayven? Im sure they are well aware of these clowns who constantly stir shit and have to see them come back time and time again and make this board even shittier for everyone.

Im speaking for myself, but I know I aint alone in this thought. Posters are tired of this crap. Take out the fucking trash for once. It smells. It reeks in here.

You want to send me a notification about ERA 2.0 and goddamn emojis but you can't even commit to making a board with friendlier discourse between diverse people.

Its embarrassing, it truly is. What is the gameplan? What is the plan of action? Ignore it? Thats how we got here. You ignored action and now the board is astroturfed with alts and people taking the piss out of the community. Its all a fucking joke for them.

No, Im not going to PM you. Im going to post publicly so people can see wtf is going on and what we can expect as a response.

Cerium and SweetNicole

Ball is in your court. Ready to play?

PS: A perm for me and Racism getting 3 days proves my point.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, sure, but the way they've talked about it- they don't have the expectation of doing him. Holding back on Pharah's backstory specifically made sense in her case because of her mom being a DLC character- otherwise there was no benefit in holding off on her background.

It's just that if that wasn't the plan pre-release, it'd be a level of incompetence on this kind of topic that would be incredibly weird coming from them. They run into issues elsewhere all the time, but giving a non-Native character N.A. skins would be so blatantly obvious as to make it hard to believe that's actually what happened behind the scenes.
I mean, they've already fucked up a little bit with Lucio and have only gotten on with making him better representation of black Brazilian culture in the last year. It would not surprise me at all, given how badly Native Americans themselves are still commodified in our culture, if Blizzard really did just throw the skins to Pharah because they were cool designs. I'm pretty sure they explicitly said as such in an interview about the subject.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
cwistofu
Benita
Chindogg
Hollywood Pescado
EkStatiC
@Aztec Complex
Francesco

Take a look at this list.

Yesterday, Not even a day passed
, they were all in my thread shitposting, downplaying, and gas lighting about the topic at hand.

What is the common denominator between this thread and mine? It deals with concerns coming from a Black perspective. This is fucking ridiculous and its pretty much come to a head.

Clearly someone felt their comments were out of line to ban them but once again ERA can't commit to making a better site than what else is available on the web. These posters see the word 'Black' and come running to stir shit, and time and time again, moderation gives them a few days timeout. They come right back to board and continue the same shit.

Look at how many people you banned in this thread, You think their gonna change? You think they'll be more receptive next time? That ban taught em a good lesson?

Is this how you all want to run the site? Is the standard white male gamer perspective the default that needs to be protected?

We had an embarrassing thread with WomenERA being bombarded with male posters completely ignoring their views. That's okay here on ERA too?

Its pretty damn disappointing. How are black moderators suppose to feel about this like Nepenthe and Slayven? Im sure they are well aware of these clowns who constantly stir shit and have to see them come back time and time again and make this board even shittier for everyone.

Im speaking for myself, but I know I aint alone in this thought. Posters are tired of this crap. Take out the fucking trash for once. It smells. It reeks in here.

You want to send me a notification about ERA 2.0 and goddamn emojis but you can't even commit to making a board with friendlier discourse between diverse people.

Its embarrassing, it truly is. What is the gameplan? What is the plan of action? Ignore it? Thats how we got here. You ignored action and now the board is astroturfed with alts and people taking the piss out of the community. Its all a fucking joke for them.

No, Im not going to PM you. Im going to post publicly so people can see wtf is going on and what we can expect as a response.

Cerium and SweetNicole

Ball is in your court. Ready to play?

PS: A perm for me and Racism getting 3 days proves my point.

Needed to be said tbh, too many similar folks giving similar takes juuuuuuat tip toeing around those TOS

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they've already fucked up a little bit with Lucio and have only gotten on with making him better representation of black Brazilian culture in the last year. It would not surprise me at all, given how badly Native Americans themselves are still commodified in our culture, if Blizzard really did just throw the skins to Pharah because they were cool designs. I'm pretty sure they explicitly said as such in an interview about the subject.
This interview - https://kotaku.com/overwatchs-director-on-competitive-controversies-and-1783869335 and the timing on the comic (12/16, which given lead times, was probably already in the works by the time Jeff did the interview in 7/16) suggests that what happened (actually, kinda similarly to Ashe's design inspiring them to do the character) that someone came up with the armor design for the legendary while in development, and that they liked it so much that they adapted Pharah's backstory so that they could use it for her because they knew it would be a problem otherwise.
Implicitly comparing black women to dogs is going to get you a ban yes.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Was responding to this, I agree w/ it not being one.
Sorry I meant to quote Nephenthe. You actually know what you're talking about.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I meant to quote Nephenthe. You actually know what you're talking about.

giphy.gif

And then you didn't even spell my name correctly.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Thread has now become about metacommentary and mod baiting and not really about Overwatch anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.